Chapter 16: Pink Stuff

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

The next day, everyone woke up late. They had brunch and Shinyoung volunteered to go grocery shopping for them. She’s really like a mother to all of them and she gets along with everyone. Their free day is spent at home doing absolutely nothing. Everyone was basically lethargic.

“I’m back!” Shinyoung shouted. It was already 2 in the afternoon when she got back. She saw Yuri lounging on the couch. Shinyoung tapped her shoulder and asked her for help. Yuri stood up and went outside to get the groceries out of the car.

“Yuri-ah, there are two boxes of doughnuts on the passenger’s seat. Can you please get that, too?”

Yuri nodded. When she got back she was carrying three boxes. “Unnie, there are three boxes there.”

“Aish, put the other one back. That’s my snack when I get home.”

“But unnie eating a whole box of doughnuts is not—“

“Do as I say, Yuri-ah,” Shinyoung said in a serious tone that scared Yuri. She immediately obeyed Shinyoung’s command.

When Yuri got back, she put the boxes on top of the coffee table and opened it.

“Wow, pink,” she said as she saw the only pink doughnut on the box. 

Shinyoung called all the girls and told them to go down and eat the snack she bought for them. Yuri used a napkin to get the doughnut and handed it to Tiffany who seemed shock by Yuri’s action. “Here.”

“Thanks. You’re awfully nice today, Kwon Yul,” she said before taking a bite.

“I’m always nice. I just thought that you might throw a fit if you don’t get that pink doughnut. It’s the only one there.”

Tiffany nodded. “Well then, thank you.”

Shinyoung said her goodbyes to the girls and told them she’ll come back some other time. It’s been a long day of doing absolutely nothing yet they’re still tired. All of them went to bed at around nine in the evening. Tomorrow is another day at school. They curse whoever it is that arranged their schedules. Why were they given such an unjust schedule? They have to wake up early every single day because their classes start at 7:30 am.


---


The first week went by in a breeze. None of their professors gave them homework which is a good thing because they could enjoy the weekend. 

They spent their weekend at home, playing video games, watching movies, eating junk foods and making fun of each other.

The weekend passed by faster and before they know it, it was Monday again. Same routine. Yuri or Taeyeon would wake up early to cook food for them. Someone would volunteer to wash the dirty dishes and they’d go to their classes. There are times when all of them eat lunch together at the cafeteria and then there are times when some of them would go home and reheat the leftover dinner for them to eat. 

This is one of those times.

“Tiffany can you please reheat the leftover from last night. Just put it in the microwave,” Yuri said. She went to their room and decided to sleep for a little while.

When Tiffany entered their room, she found Yuri dozed off on the bed. “She asked me to reheat the food and then doze off? I’m hungry. Should I wake her up or should I eat alone?” she said to herself.

She walked closer to Yuri and looked at her sleeping face. It’s her first time seeing Yuri in an unconscious state. Yuri’s mouth was partly open. When she was about to take a closer look, Yuri suddenly bolted up so she took a step back. She covered to prevent herself from shrieking. Yuri’s eyes were still close and after a few seconds she lay on her bed again.

“What the hell was that?” Tiffany mumbled.

I’ll just wait for her to wake up then we’ll eat together. She might make a big fuss if I ate without her. Right. I’ll go online and wait for her to wake up.

After half an hour of playing online games and waiting for Yuri to wake up, Tiffany felt sleepy so she decided to take a nap.

She woke up an hour after and found no trace of Yuri in their bedroom. Where is she? She stood up to see if the door of their bathroom is shut. It wasn’t. 

When she turned around, she saw Yuri rubbing her tummy and smiling at her. 

“Why are you smiling like that?”

“I just ate and man, Taeyeon’s no joke. She’s a really good cook.”

Tiffany was dumbfounded. Did she just say she ate already?

“You ate without me? You didn’t even bother waking me up?” she asked Yuri.

“Yeah. You were sleeping and I didn’t want to wake you up. I didn’t want to get punched,” she said. Her last statement was a joke but she was surprised with what Tiffany said.

“I don’t punch people when they wake me up, that’s Jessie.”

Yurii realized something. So that’s why Taeyeon had a small purple spot on her left cheek this morning. Poor Taengoo.

“How dare you eat without me?” Yuri broke out of her reverie when she heard Tiffany. “I waited for you to wake up so that we could eat together but NO~! You ate by yourself and didn’t even bother to wake me up! What the hell?”

“You were sleeping! I think it’d be rude to wake you up!” Yuri said, matching the volume of Tiffany’s voice.

The two continued their heated argument for about a few more minutes.

“You know what, talk to the hand!” Tiffany raised her hand, her palm centimetres away from Yuri’s face. “I waited for you to wake up. I even contemplated on waking you up. You! You didn’t wake me up and you didn’t even wait for me to wake up. Some friend you are.” She walked out of the room and left Yuri rooted on the floor.

What the heck just happened? Why was it such a big deal!?


---


During dinner, everyone was staring at the forming bruise on Taeyeon’s cheek. It was not that big but it was noticeable considering how fair her complexion is.

“Taengoo-ah,”Jessica called.

“Hmm?” she answered without looking at Jessica. She kept her line of sight on her plate.

“Sorry about your cheek. You might want to put some ice on that.”

“No, it’s fine. It’ll heal,” she answered finally looking at Jessica.

“No really you have to put ice on that. I’ll…uh…help you.”

“You’ll help me put ice on my cheek?” she asked smiling. She’s getting the hang of “flirting” with Jessica. The latter would usually glare at her and in return, she would flash her dorky grin. 

“I will help you get the ice, numbskull.” Jessica answered which made everyone else chuckle a little.

Taeyeon looked down. Another fail.At least she notices me now. She’s still annoyed but I can change that…hopefully.

Jessica felt a pang of guilt. It was slight, though. So slight that it’s almost negligible. Yes, Jessica Jung is also capable of feeling guilty.

“Look, I’m sorry I punched you.”

Taeyeon was waiting for a ‘but’. She remembered that one time when Jessica said sorry to her. The girl kept on going about how annoying she was. She waited a little bit more but the ‘but’ never came.

“No buts?”

Jessica shook her head. 

Am I dreaming? She’s really apologizing? Taeyeon wasn’t the only one thinking about that even Sunny, Hyoyeon, Seohyun and Tiffany. 

Taeyeon can’t help but to smile throughout the rest of dinner.


---


After they finished eating their dinner, Yuri and Tiffany both went to their room without talking to each other. Tiffany was still ignoring Yuri for the incident earlier.

Yuri was typing something on her laptop when Tiffany finished brushing her teeth. When she saw Yuri, she exhaled loudly through her nose. She had been doing it since their petty fight.

Losing her patience, Yuri said, “Could you stop doing that?”

Tiffany ignored her and continued doing that every ten seconds.

“I said stop doing that! Do you know how irritating it is to listen to the sound you’re making every ten freaking seconds?” she said angrily.

“Don’t tell me what to do, you selfish jerk!” Tiffany retaliated.

“This is still about the ‘not waking you up fight?’ Are you kidding me?”

Tiffany scoffed, “I waited for you to wake up even though I was hungry!”

“I’m sorry. Sorry for not waking you up and being ‘selfish’,” she air quoted her last word. 

Tiffany pretended she didn’t hear her.

“Yah! Tiffany, stop ignoring me. I said I’m sorry,” Yuri said in a pleading tone mixed with an annoyed one.

“You really mean that?” Tiffany asked, looking at Yuri to see if she was sincere.

“Yes. I’m sorry and I promise not to do it again.”

“Fine.”

If people are as forgiving as you are, jails would be obsolete.


---


“Fany-yah!” Yuri just got back from her last class.

“Why?” Tiffany’s head popped out of the kitchen’s door.

Yuri walked towards her and asked, “Why are you in the kitchen?”

“I was getting something to drink.”

“Oh,” Yuri said nodding her head then she remembered why she was looking for the girl. “Close your eyes.”

“Why?”

“It’s a surprise, just do it and give me your hand.”

Tiffany shook her head, “What is it? I don’t like surprises just show it to me whatever it is.”

“Close your eyes, please~,” Yuri pleaded.

Tiffany was reluctant but complied after a few seconds, “I swear Kwon Yuri if this is a bug, I’ll punch you in the face…after you get rid of the bug.”

Yuri giggled, “It’s not a bug.” She held Tiffany’s right hand and put her surprise on the girl’s palm. “Don’t open your eyes yet. Feel it first.”

“It feels weird and dry. Its shape is also weird.”

Yuri chuckled again, “You have a knack for describing things. Open your eyes.”

Tiffany opened her eyes and squealed, “It’s a pink… I don’t what this is but it’s pink and it’s cute.” She continued touching it.

“It’s a pink oyster mushroom."


“It’s a mushroom? This is so cool. I didn’t know there is such thing.”

“Well, now you know,” Yuri smiled. 

“Where’d you get it?”

“Uh…the professor told us that we could get some so I did.” That wasn’t the whole truth. Their professor did tell them that they could get a mushroom but just ONE and not a handful of it. Yuri got loads of it when the professor wasn’t looking.

“Wow. It’s so pretty. Is this edible?”

“Of course, it is. Why would she show us a poisonous mushroom?”

She has a point.

Tiffany smirked, “You know, people who confess their love for me usually give me a bouquet of flowers. Red roses to be exact. But this. This is…unique. Thanks, Yul.”

Yuri was flabbergasted, “Give it back.”

“I was just kidding,” Tiffany said.

“No seriously I need it. I’m going to use that for our dinner. Hand it over.”

“Can I keep some of it?”

“No, it will stink. Just take a picture of it if you want.”

She smiled brightly and ran up to their shared room to get her camera.

“I wasn’t serious when I said that,” Yuri told her.

“Whatever.” 

She held the mushrooms on one hand and took a picture of it. “Yay!” She took a couple more photos and even invited Yuri to take a photo with her.

Yuri didn’t agree at first but because of Tiffany’s convincing powers, they had two photos taken together with the mushrooms. One was Tiffany was all smiles while Yuri looked uninterested. The other photo showed both of them smiling because Tiffany threw a fit when she saw Yuri’s face on the other photo.

“Can I cook our dinner now?” Yuri asked.

“Can I help?” 

“By help you mean watch from afar? Because I’m going to be sautéing stuff.”

“Teach me then,” Tiffany said confidently.

Oh, boy.