Chapter 56: Dancing Squid

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

“Fany-ah, let’s eat lunch at this place that my brother told me about,” Yuri said as she pulled Tiffany up. The latter was still panting after surviving Yuri’s tickle attacks yet again.

She frowned and crossed her arms. “You’re getting too comfortable tickling me and taking advantage of my poor ticklish self and now you’re casually just asking me out on for lunch.”

Yuri chuckled. “I am, aren’t I? Maybe I’m really not in love with you and it was just a silly little crush. That’s why I don’t even get shy around you anymore.”

The girl on the bed frowned even more. She already knows that Sooyoung was already aware of what’s happening between them but the two was still quite careful on how they’d act when the tall girl is around. “So I was just a phase then? Is that it?”

“Of course, not. I was just kidding and I’m more comfortable around you now because…I don’t know, I guess you just have that effect on people. You make them feel comfortable. Now, stop acting like the overdramatic Kim Taeyeon and let’s go eat.”

Tiffany got up. “You’re being too harsh on that shorty.”

“S deserves it for acting as if Sica cheated on her and Sica did it to hurt her when in fact it’s the other way around.” She made her way towards the door but stopped and turned to look at Tiffany. “Shouldn’t you be siding on your sister with this one?”

“Oh please, I might not be the most rational person on earth but even I know that they both did something wrong so why would I side with anyone?”

Yuri pursed her lips. “Then I might’ve been too harsh on Taeyeon but still she should’ve just apologized for the things she said to Sica.”

“So nosy. Why do you care so much about my sister?” she asked as she shot Yuri a glare. “Do you secretly like her?”

Yuri shook her head and scoffed. “We’re not even a couple yet and you already doubt my feelings for you.”

“I’m not,” she whined, “You two are just too close.”

“Omo! What have I gotten myself into? I fell for a jealous freak!”

“Yah!”

“Come on, my little jealous freak, I’m starving.”

“Stop calling me that.”


---


“Manyul, I want to eat eel,” Tiffany said cutely and it made Yuri cringe.

“I’ve stopped calling you a jealous freak so stop calling me Manyul and we’re not here to eat eel. We’re her to try Odori don.”

“Is that an eel dish?” she asked as she looked around the small restaurant.

“No, we’re not going to eat eel.” Yuri called the ahjumma and placed their order.

“This place is familiar.” Yuri just grinned and waited for Tiffany to remember it. “Isn’t this the place where you wanted to eat the live octopus?”

Yuri nodded and grinned even more. “You’re not going to try and make me eat a live octopus again, are you? I’m still not going to let you eat one.”

“I’ve already told you five seconds ago that we’re going to try Odori don. You and your short attention span.”

When the dish arrived, Tiffany could only stare at it in horror.

“You haven’t seen the best part yet,” she said as she poured the soy sauce on the octopus’ legs. It twitched and Tiffany had to look away.

“Oh my god! That’s so scary. Make it stop,” she said as she buried her face on the crook of Yuri’s neck.

“It’s not scary. You’re being Taeyeon again.”

“Taeyeon means calm, dummy,” she said as she hit Yuri’s shoulder. She took a peek and saw that the octopus’ legs have stopped moving.

“I know. What I meant was you’re being like Kim Taeyeon the midget again. It’s not even scary. It’s quite fascinating. If they made us do stuff like this in our science class back in high school then I would’ve been more enthusiastic about it instead of dissecting frogs and all.”

“Is it alive?”

“No. Something about soy sauce just triggers something in their legs, I think. That’s what my brother said. He brought Eunjung-unnie and Minhyuk with him and he was really fascinated with it. He told me that he was smiling while watching it.”

“You guys are so weird and I am not eating that. Ahujumma,” she called, “Can I get a fried eel please? Thank you.”

“You’re missing out because this is actually really good. I should’ve taken Soo with me. You know, I think Soo and I would’ve probably made a good couple if we weren’t in love with the same person.”

“Who knows maybe in a parallel universe, you guys are actually a couple and I’m with Yoona or something.”

“Seobaby wouldn’t like that.”

Tiffany could only stare as she waited for her food to arrive. “Do you count this as our first date because I don’t. This is horrible. Poor Squidward and I cannot believe you still remember small details like me not letting you eat a live octopus and saving you from choking to death.”

Yuri shrugged. “Is it creepy that I remember almost everything that we’ve done together?”

Tiffany mindlessly nodded her head. “But I think it’s also sweet.” She was getting more impatient due to the fact that her food still hasn’t arrived while Yuri seemed to be enjoying her meal. She decided to bug the tanned girl who didn’t even bother to wait for her. She grabbed the soy sauce and poured it on Yuri’s pinky finger.

“What the heck?”

“Hey, it really does work. Pouring soy sauce on stuff makes them move,” she said sarcastically. “Yay! My fried eel’s here.”


---


Jessica woke up in the middle of the night. She felt hungry since her supposed nap took longer than she intended to and she didn’t get to eat dinner. She dragged her sleepy self towards the kitchen and opened the fridge to see if her housemates left food for her.

“Are you hungry?”

She put her hand over her chest and sighed. “You scared me.”

“Sorry,” she said as she looked down and bit her lip.

“It’s fine and yeah, I am hungry.”

Jessica stared at Taeyeon for a while and she just wanted to hug her right then and there but couldn’t bring herself to do it. She was honestly scared that the older girl might just reject her hug and push her further away.

Instead of saying something back, she just walked towards the cupboard and brought out a pan. Jessica didn’t move and continued staring at her. It wasn’t until Taeyeon told her to wait for her food in the dining area.

Minutes passed before Taeyeon finished cooking her meal. The shorter girl set it on the table and sat on the opposite side of the table. She busied herself by staring at her lap and stealing glances when she knew Jessica wasn’t looking. As it turns out the blonde girl wasn’t the only who wanted to hug someone so badly right there on the spot.

Jessica was stealing glances as well and that’s when she noticed Taeyeon’s puffy eyes. She put the chopsticks down and reached for Taeyeon’s face, cupping her cheek, fingers ready to wipe away the tears that are threatening to fall. “Taengoo, I…”

“I missed you.” It was almost inaudible and then came the waterworks. Taeyeon has been crying herself to sleep and there was a time when she just wanted to march inside Yuri and Tiffany’s room to get Jessica and tell her to come back to their room, to tell her that she was sorry and to just hug her and make her forget about the things that she blurted out.

They saw each other in classes but for two weeks, they never talked to each other and truth be told, it tortured them both. One was thinking she didn’t need to apologize for anything and that she’s the one who deserves to get an apology, although she’s already gotten one, and then the other was just waiting for that person to cool down so they could talk properly. Both of them waited in vain.

Jessica stood up and sat beside the older girl before hugging her. There was no exchange of words for what seemed to be like an hour of just hugging each other and only the sound of two girls sobbing filled the room. When both of them finally stopped crying in each other’s arms, Jessica stood up once again and grabbed a couple of ice packs in the fridge for their swollen eyes.

She pulled Taeyeon towards the living room and motioned her to sit on the couch. She gently placed the ice pack over Taeyeon’s right eye while using her other hand to hold her own ice pack. “I missed you, too, by the way.”

The older girl sniffed and held Jessica’s hand that was holding the ice pack over her eyes. “I’m sorry. Yuri…she was right. I was just being a selfish overdramatic midget.”

The blonde one chuckled. “You’re not a selfish overdramatic midget. Even if you are, it doesn’t matter. I love you…and I would never want to lose you over some stupid thing. Besides, this whole thing is my fault. I shouldn’t have lied, it only made things worse. I’m sorry.”

She moved closer to Jessica and hugged her tightly. “I really missed you, Sica.”

The younger girl placed the ice packs on the coffee table and returned the hug. “Babo-yah, I missed you a lot too.” She pulled away and Taeyeon’s cheek. “You need to apologize to Yoong though. She’s been telling me how scary you are for the past two weeks.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“Sica?”

“Hmm?”

“I love you a lot and I’m sorry for calling you stupid.”

“Let’s forget about it, okay? Let’s sleep.” She pulled Taeyeon up with her and led her to their room. “Aigoo. What are we going to do with these beds? Why are they so far apart?” She smiled at Taeyeon and let go of her hand then started pushing her bed closer to Taeyeon’s.

Seeing her girlfriend struggling because of the heavy bed, she went to her side and helped her do it.

“Yah, Taengoo,” Jessica said sweetly. “I don’t ever want to see these beds separated again, got that? It’s so heavy and too burdensome to push back.”

Taeyeon wasn’t sure if what Jessica just said had a meaning behind it or if she just really thought that the bed’s heavy. She was going to assume that Jessica meant for them not to get into a serious fight anymore though.

The next morning was blissful for Taeyeon and despite not seeing Jessica clearly because of her badly swollen eyes, she still felt happy that she got to wake up beside her again. The girl who had her arms around her small waist woke up a few minutes after she did and greeted Taeyeon with a smile, one that she rarely sees. “Good morning.”

“Sica, next week we’ll be having a long weekend. Let’s go to Japan.”

“Japan? Why?”

“You don’t want to?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“We’ll go then.”

She didn’t really think it through. It was one of those things that she thought about for a few minutes and decided to just say out loud.

“Japan?” Yoona asked. She seemed excited, too excited.

Jessica stared at Taeyeon and it reminded her of what her girlfriend told her last night. “Uh…yeah. Do you and Hyunnie want to come with us?”

Yoona hopped off her bed and nodded vigorously before getting out of their room and running towards Seohyun’s room.

“I guess we’ll be with two kids then,” said Taeyeon.


---


“Sica how did we end up having eight girls with us on what supposedly was a trip for two, for both of us. ONLY us.”

“You were the one who let them come with us.”

“Right. Guilt trip is a pain in the .” She sighed as she leaned her head on Jessica’s shoulder. The latter moved away which caused her to almost hit her head on the chair. “Yah,” she whined.

Jessica giggled and motioned for Taeyeon to rest her head on her lap instead. “I think this would be a fun weekend.”

“It would’ve been more fun if I didn’t have a tanned girl glaring at me and two shikshins waiting for their mouths to be fed every hour.”