Chapter 11: Zombie and Gummy Bears

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

“That was fun, cakes were wasted but it was fun,” said Sooyoung to Tiffany. They were still busy cleaning the living room, getting rid of the balloons and the other things that Shinyoung brought.

“All you care about is food, huh?” Tiffany was smiling at her. These were the times when Sooyoung’s mind would suddenly go haywire. It was just like the first time they met. 

Sooyoung stared at Tiffany for a couple more seconds before she answered, “Not really. I care about people, too. About my parents, my sister, my best friend Hyo,” she paused and reached out for Tiffany’s hair, “you…you have something on your hair.” She wiped it and showed her hand to Tiffany’s face, “Frosting.”

“Oh, eww it looks like poop,” she laughed. Poor Sooyoung felt like she’s going to faint. “That’s it, I’m going to get a haircut tomorrow after class. Wanna come with me?”

“Me?” Sooyoung was surprised. 

“No, I’m actually talking to my imaginary friend that’s beside you right now,” Tiffany answered sarcastically. “Yes, you, Choi Sooyoung.”

”I can’t. My last class would end at 8,” is what she should’ve said.

“Sure.”

“Yah! Tiffany, I’m going to use the bathroom first,” Tiffany heard Yuri said.

She gave two thumbs up to her roommate and faced Sooyoung again, “Great. I’ll see you after my last class.”

Sooyoung nodded. “You and Yuri seem fine now, huh?”

“Yup.”

“Funny. Just days ago you two wanted to slit each other’s throat.”

“We have the same reason for liking her. She cooks good food for us,” she smiled but her expression turned sour when she something sticking out of Sooyoung’s front pocket, “You really need to find a new way to get rid of your stress. You’re killing yourself in a slow and painful way. Do you want me to borrow my mom’s gun and shoot you right in the face? It’ll be less painful.” She smiled sweetly again. If Soooyung wasn’t good in English, she’d probably think Tiffany was saying something along the lines of “I’m so pretty. If I could share my beauty to other people I’d do it without thinking twice.” That sounded so stuck-up but you get the point.

Sooyoung sighed, “Why? Have you experienced getting shot in the face? Going cold turkey is tough, you know?”

“There are other methods to quit smoking. A friend of mine told me that Yoga could help.”

The two continued to talk about how the taller girl could stop her bad habits. Sooyoung was spazzing on the inside once again. The only time she’d smoke is when she’s stressed out but if Tiffany wants her to stop smoking she’d do it in a heartbeat. Tiffany’s even volunteering to help her. Lucky her. So she will stop smoking whether it means she’s going to have to chew on her fingers to do it.


---


“Taeyeon must be really happy right now,” Sunny said.

“I’d be happy too if the girl I’m stalking talks to me for more than a minute,” answered Hyoyeon.

“Who’s stalking who unnie?” Seohyun who barged into their room asked.

“Taeyeon was stalking Jessica,” Hyoyeon blurted out. She didn’t mean to but she was tired from all the walking that they did earlier and she wasn’t thinking straight. currently has a mind of its own.

Seohyun gasped, “Seriously?”

Sunny hit Hyoyeon on the head and scolded her non-stop. It was supposed to be a secret among her, Hyo and Taeyeon. Now even the youngest knows about it.

After telling Seohyun the whole story about Taeyeon the creeper, they told her not to tell it to anyone. She can’t even tell Taeyeon that she knows about it because two short girls were afraid that Taeyeon might get angry at them.

“By the way, why did you barge in our room like that? Do you need anything?”

“Nothing. I just felt out of place and I decided to go here,” Seohyun answered while playing with her bracelet.

“You still wear that?” Sunny asked. “Why did you feel out of place? Weren’t you with that stupid ex of yours?”

“Sunny-unnie, don’t call her that. Yes, I was with her but Jessica-unnie came down and both of them talked and I felt left out. They seem close and Jessica-unnie seems to really like Yoona,” said Seohyun as she puffed her cheeks and pouted.

Hyoyeon chuckled at the sight of the distressed Seohyun. “This cousin of yours is cute,” she said while patting the crown of Seohyun’s head.

“It’s in the blood,” Sunny said with a serious face.

“Then one of you might be adopted,” Hyoyeon retorted.

“Unnie don’t…” Seohyun wasn’t able to finish her sentence because Sunny started acting “cute”. Her three-piece set of aegyo began.

Seohyun covered her face while Hyoyeon gritted her teeth. “You shouldn’t have said that to Sunny-unnie.”

Hyoyeon stood up and walked towards her bed. She reached out for something under her bed. It was a nunchaku . You might be familiar with it if you’ve seen Bruce Lee on TV.

Hyoyeon held the nunchaku and started doing some kickass nunchaku moves. “Do you want me to hit you with my nunchaku?”

Sunny was stunned. Her eyes were following the movements of the nunchaku. She shook her head which made Hyoyeon smirk. “Good girl. If you don’t want nunchaku marks on your face never do that again. Ever. Get it?”

Sunny nodded. She tried to distract Hyoyeon and changed the subject, “What were you saying about Jessica and Yoona again, Seobaby?” 

Seohyun knows Sunny so well. When she uses that sweet tone and combines it with her nickname for her, it means she’s desperate. She’s desperate to distract Hyoyeon and save her life from the “Nunchaku Princess.”

It worked yet again. Hyoyeon sat down on Sunny’s bed and listened to what Seohyun had to say.

“They seem really close and I think Jessica-unnie likes Yoona…A LOT!”

“You still like your ex? That’s some gossip worthy drama. Do tell,” Hyoyeon said, smiling like there’s no tomorrow. She was starting to become like Sunny.

Seohyun told her the whole story and reminded her cousin that Yoona wasn’t the bad guy.

After several minutes of telling the story to Hyoyeon and informing them about Jessica and Yoona being close, the three of them stayed quiet.

“We cannot let Jessica be close to Yoona,” Sunny spoke after a few seconds of silence.

“I agree. Love at first sight is so overrated. Love at first sight with stalking isn’t,” said Hyoyeon.

“Yes. We have to do something,” she looked at her not-so-little cousin, Seohyun, “Seohyun-ah, I know you still like that jerk and even though you say she’s nice, I’m still not convinced but we have to do this,” she paused and looked around.

“We have to get you and Yoona back so that Jessica will end up with Taeyeon.”

“But…”

Sunny wiggled her index finger, “No but’s. Now here’s the plan.”

The other two listened attentively to Sunny’s plan.


---


Tiffany finished her talk with Sooyoung and went to her room where she found Yuri lying on her stomach and typing something on her laptop.

“I’m going to get a haircut tomorrow,” she informed Yuri. She did that to get rid of the possible awkwardness between them. 

“Really?” Yuri looked at her and smiled, “You’re better off bald. I think the shape of your head would suit that haircut. Plus it looks ‘editorial’ and ‘fierce’,” she said mocking Tyra Banks.

“Excuse me? I should be bald?” she pointed to herself, “Youshould shave that long black hair of yours, you have manly features and it’ll suit you better.”

Yuri got offended by the remark. Sure, she didn’t have that much interest in dating but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t take time to pamper herself in the salon. She’d go to a beauty salon once a week to get a mani-pedi combo and treat her hair. Her hair is her pride. She would never chop it off. To top it all off, the other girl said she had ‘manly features’.

She got mad because she could deny it in front of other people but she couldn’t fool herself. Whenever she looks in the mirror, she sees her brother’s face. They’re like twins and she can’t deny the fact that most people find her look a little masculine. 

 

There’s something about your face that makes you look kind of like a dude. Don’t get us wrong, it’s not really a bad thing. It adds up to your appeal that you have that soft look and tough look at the same time. You’re a pretty girl and if you become a guy, you’d be a handsome one. Her friends would tell her before.

She didn’t answer back. She chose not to argue. It’s not even a whole day since they decided to cease fire. 

“I think it’s the shape of your face and your chin,” Tiffany continued. 

Yuri glared at her which made her stop talking. She power-walked her way to the bathroom and took a quick shower.

When she finished taking a shower, she plopped herself on her bed and busied herself by playing “Bookworm Deluxe.”

She was almost done with beating the Hydra when she noticed Yuri muffling her laugh. Maybe she’s watching another idiotic clip on YouTube.

She continued playing while contemplating on what she said earlier. Was she supposed to say sorry for what she said? Why would I say sorry? It’s true. She does have manly features but it makes her look more, I dunno, dazzling? That’s not a bad thing. 

She smirked when she thought of an ingenious idea. Being a computer geek has its perks. She sat up and put her notebook on her lap. She started typing commands and the screws in her brain were moving twice as fast. She was even typing faster than normal.

Oh snap! Her webcam’s off!

She had two choices at this point. One is to turn the webcam on manually. That would require her to do something to distract Yuri so that she’ll leave her laptop for a few seconds. But there’s a slim chance Yuri wouldn’t notice her cam’s switched on. She could take that chance or do it the hard way and put some sort of bug or plant a software that would help her have access on Yuri’s webcam. Excuse her and her behaviour, she doesn’t know much about ethics yet. She hasn’t taken up that course yet.

She chose to do the first one except she didn’t need to do anything in order to distract Yuri. The other girl stood up and went downstairs. That was easy.

She went to Yuri’s bed and quickly turned the webcam on. The light indicating that the webcam is activated is also switched on just as she suspected. She’s hoping that Yuri wouldn’t notice.Aish, stupid, how could she not notice this white light? Hacking the security cameras around our house is a lot easier.

She sensed Yuri coming and she quickly went to her bed. Yuri was holding a glass of water on her right hand and a bowl of strawberries on the other hand. She put it on the bed side table. She was now leaning on the bed’s head board as she lifted her notebook and placed it on her lap. She noticed the light but instead of deactivating the webcam, she used it as a mirror and examined her face. I do not have manly features… Whatever. It adds up to my charm. 

She continued doing this for a few minutes while munching the strawberries. She wasn’t aware that her privacy was breached by the sly Tiffany Hwang.

Tiffany was trying hard not to laugh at the faces that Yuri was making. She couldn’t take it anymore. No matter how much she tried muffling the laughs, she couldn’t. She exploded in laughter after seeing Yuri’s silly looking face.

Yuri looked at her weirdly and gave her the ‘wtf’ look. 

“Garfield..is..Garfield..he’s abnormally fat,” she said in between her laughs. She knows it’s a lame excuse but saying that Yuri’s face looked hilarious would make Yuri angrier. Not to mention, she would feel violated due to the fact that her roommate gained access to her cam.

“Everyone knows that dummy.”

After saving a few screen caps of Yuri’s funny face, she stopped laughing and continued her creepy ways of watching the girl. Yuri didn’t bother to turn it off. She was looking serious now and she looked like she was staring at something on her computer. She has that same look when she was looking at that picture the other day. I wonder what she’s looking at.

“Yuri-ah,” someone called and they both jolted up. 

Sooyoung was banging on the door. It was so loud that it seemed like someone’s going to die if they don’t open the door right away.

“Oh, it wasn’t locked,” Sooyoung let herself in and sat beside Yuri. She snatched Yuri’s laptop away and started typing. “Someone’s hacking your computer, dimwit.”

“What? How’d you know? That’s…”

Tiffany started to panic and started deleting all the evidence that would enable Sooyoung to trace her but Sooyoung was fast. She had no choice but to redirect Sooyoung to another user.Ok Taecyeon, whoever you are, sorry but I’m gonna have to make you a creeper.

“Taecyeon-shi,” said Sooyoung. “I don’t think he’s the one hacking you, though. I think someone’s just using his computer as a zombie.”

Zombie. Why didn’t I think of using that earlier? Darn, I would’ve been caught if I wasn’t fast enough.

“But we can’t be sure so we should monitor that Taecyeon’s computer, just in case. We wouldn’t want another incident like that again,” Sooyoung added.

“What zombie? What the heck are you talking about?” Yuri asked. 

“Some people use another computer to use as their ‘zombie’ when they try to infiltrate someone’s computer. You should study about computers more, Yuri-ah. Ask Fany-ah if you suspect that someone is hacking into your computer.”

“Yeah…” she answered while playing minesweeper. She forgot that Sooyoung was geekier than her. She has to be careful if she’s going to pull off something like that again. Then she remembered something, “How’d you know someone was messing with Yuri’s computer? Were you…”

“I was doing something with our internet connection. I wanted it to be faster so I tapped into the main server but I noticed some anomaly. I don’t think you’d understand if I explain it bits by bits. The point is you should be alert when you’re using your computer…”

She continued her rant about information and systems security. Tiffany was mentally hitting her head for being so careless.

When Sooyoung left, both of them turned off their computers.

“People nowadays don’t know what the term ‘privacy’ means,” Yuri said as she made her way to the bathroom to brush her teeth. 

Tiffany couldn’t answer. She was guilty beyond unreasonable doubt. 


---


“Hi, Soo.” Jessica greeted Sooyoung when she saw her got out of her sister’s room.

“Wow, you remember my name? It means I’m special, right? Hyoyeon told me you were calling people by numbers.”

“Oh, that. Yeah…I’ve made an effort to memorize your names after my sister gave me a scolding the other day.” She got scared when Tiffany threatened to tell her dad about her habit of calling people by numbers. Her dad once punished her when she referred to her eldest uncle as ‘Uncle No. 1’. 

Sooyoung nodded and entered her room and Jessica did the same. When she entered the room, she saw Taeyeon hugging the bear tightly.

“You could hug the real thing, you know. You don’t have to choke that poor bear,” she said. 

Taeyeon couldn’t believe what she’s hearing and seeing.Did she really mean what she said? And she’s smiling. That means she’s serious, right? It was actually a smirk but Taeyeon was too ecstatic to notice the difference.

“For real?” she asked. She didn’t want to run and hug the girl right away, she might get…

“For real but I have to slap you afterwards,” Jessica said, still smirking. 

“Why do you have…”

“For no reason, you’re going to hug me for no reason so it’s only fair that I get to do anything to you for no reason, as well. “

“How about hugging me back for no reason?”

Jessica pretended to be contemplating on the idea, “Uh…How about no. Go back hugging that bear named after me.”

Our relationship is progressing faster than I thought. It’s only been four days and I ALMOST get to hug her.

Yoona gleefully entered the room, “Sica, do you want some gummy bears?”

Taeyeon saw the gummy bears, it was hers. She bought it on her way home with her cousin.

“Yah, that’s mine!” She got up and took the pack of gummy bears from Yoona.

She smiled widely and opened it. She was surprised when Jessica snatched it away from her. “YAH!”

“Don’t be selfish,” said Jessica. She thought of a way to get what she wants. It works perfectly when it comes to Tiffany and her dad. Hopefully, Taeyeon wouldn’t be an exception.

She shoved the pack of gummy bears to Taeyeon’s hands, “There, if you don’t want to share then fine.”

Taeyeon looked baffled. This girl’s bipolar. Aish! 

After thinking about it for a couple of seconds, she handed the gummy bears back to Jessica but the latter didn’t want to take it. “Here, I’m sharing.”

“No, it’s yours. I don’t want it anymore. You look like you don’t really wanna share so it’s fine,” Jessica looked away so Taeyeon wouldn’t catch her grinning.

Reverse Psychology always works.

“I’m sharing it now so take it. Don’t be too stubborn, Jessica,” Taeyeon was pouting cutely and Jessica couldn’t help but notice.

“Yah~ don’t pout like that,” Jessica said, trying to be serious but she can’t do it. Yoona was laughing already.

She pouted even more.

“S…St…Stop it right now!” Jessica stammered. Something about Taeyeon’s pout is funny. She bursted out laughing which Taeyeon found adorable.

“Fine, fine! I’ll take it if you stop doing that!”

Taeyeon shrugged and gave Jessica the gummy bears. 

“I can’t believe you two are a year older than me,” said Yoona who had a fistful of gummy bears.

“Me, too. Only because you’re taller than us,” Taeyeon said while chewing on the treat.

The three continued devouring Taeyeon’s gummy bears. They didn’t notice that Yoona was constantly getting a fistful of those candies. She was hiding most of it and saving it for later.

Greedy Alligator Yoona.