Chapter 39: Canned Soup

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

Finals Week. The girls didn’t really care about it that much since they’ve already finished their projects, they’re ready for presenting it in front of their professors. Exams? Piece of cake. What they care about now is where to spend their summer vacation.

“Taengoo, my dad said you should go with us to Jeju.”

“Really?” 

“Yeah, his exact words were ‘Bring Taeyeon with you when we go to our trip to Jeju so I’d be able to chop her head off and dump her lifeless body in the ocean’.” Jessica laughed when she saw Taeyeon’s terrified face.

“Relax Taengoo. Sheesh!”

“He didn’t really say that, right?” 

“He did but he was kidding.”

She looked at herself in the mirror one more time and checked if everything’s fine before she go out. She turned around and walked towards Taeyeon who still seemed to be worried about what she said.

“Taengoo, you don’t have to worry too much about what daddy said. He likes you. He might not be able to show it to you properly when we meet him again but I swear he likes you.”

Jessica was looking at her and was smiling reassuringly so she couldn’t really process her words and the fact that she said the word “daddy” so sweetly made Taeyeon’s heart flutter.

“Why don’t we have pet names for each other?” she asked stupidly. Jessica just stared. “When we get married, will you please call me ‘daddy’? My mom calls my dad ‘Appa’ but the way you said ‘daddy’ is just too cute.”

“When we get married? What the heck are you talking about? Are you drunk?” Jessica asked while giggling at Taeyeon’s randomness.

“You’re already asking me to marry you? Don’t you think you’re going too fast?” Jessica smiled playfully.

Taeyeon shrugged. “Like I said, I’m determined not to let you go. I don’t think I can.”

“You’re cute. I have to go, Tiff’s waiting for me and you know how impatient that girl could be sometimes.” She kissed Taeyeon’s forehead and made her way to the door.

Before she could take another step, Taeyeon pulled her back. She looked at Taeyeon who was looking at her seriously.

“I love you, Sica,” she said.

Jessica smiled. “I love you, too, Taeng but you’re kind of scaring me. Why are you so serious and what’s up with you talking about marriage?”

When Taeyeon didn’t answer immediately, she gasped. “Don’t tell me you’re dying?”

Taeyeon’s serious expression was replaced with an amused one and soon enough, she broke out into a laughing fit. “Oh god, you watch way too many soap operas and read way too many of those romantic but tragic novels.”

“Well, you were being too serious.”

Taeyeon sighed, “Sorry. I was trying to think of a speech that would move you and that could top what you said to me but I couldn’t seem to think of one.”

“There’s no need for you to do that. Besides, why must you top the only romantic thing I've done for you?” Jessica pouted, pretending to be upset.

“How come you never acted this way when we weren’t dating yet?”

“You did this to me, you idiot. I really have to go now or else Tiff will throw a fit. Have fun with the others,” she smiled at Taeyeon and went out of their room, leaving a grinning Taeyeon. As soon as she recovered, she poked her head out of the window and waited for Jessica to get out to their front yard.

When she saw her, she called her and said, “Take care. I love you, my future wife. We have to think of a better pet name ‘cause I don’t think I could say ‘my future wife’ all the time.”

She saw Jessica giggling while making her way to Tiffany’s car. Tiffany was shaking her head and chuckling at Taeyeon’s silliness. She opened the door and was about to get in but was stopped by Taeyeon’s thundering voice.

“Fany-ah, I love your sister. Please tell your dad and your mom that I said that and that I’m willing to be their in-law. I’m also willing to be your sister-in-law!”

“Will do!” answered Tiffany as she played along.

She closed the door and started the engine. “Damn, Jessie! Is your girlfriend drunk?”

“I don’t know. I saw her drinking Yakult but I doubt that can make a person act crazy.”


---


Yuri, Yoona, Sunny and Sooyoung were in the living room playing Grand Theft Auto. It was actually Sooyoung and Sunny who was playing and the two were just watching them and listening to Sooyoung talking like a gangster while Sunny was just sitting there, playing calmly.

“Why aren’t you playing?” asked Yuri to strike a conversation with her dongsaeng.

“Hyunnie doesn’t like that game. She’d get mad if she sees me playing that.”

“Are you two back together now?”

Yoona’s expression drastically changed from a calm expression to a very distraught one. “She said she’ll get back with me after we graduate.”

Yuri raised a brow. “Really?” Yoona nodded. Somehow she felt sorry for her but then she remembered, “You two sleep in the same bed sometimes and shower each other kisses all the time so it shouldn’t be that bad, right?”

Yoona’s face contorted more. “But unnie, it’s still different. What if some guy decided to hit on her or court her? What would I do if he says, ‘Who the heck are you? Are you her girlfriend?’ I wouldn’t be able to say yes because well, I’m not her girlfriend.”

Sometimes I think Yoong is stupid. She could just lie and say ‘yes’ and that guy won’t know that it’s not true. I bet Seohyun wouldn’t mind.

Instead of saying that to the girl in distressed, she said, “You’re still lucky though. The girl you love loves you back. In fact, she loves you so much that she has forgiven you for the stupid thing you did. Yes, I know what happened before. Everyone here knows.”

Yoona stared at her and looked like she was about to say something but was cut off by the sound of Sooyoung’s phone.

“Yoong, can you please read the text for me,” said Sooyoung using her sweet voice. She uses it to get Taeyeon and Yuri to cook her food, as well.

“Unnie~” the younger girl whined. “Your phone is on the other side of the room.”

Yuri stood up and got hold of the hand phone. She despises the whining voice of those two.

Yuri opened the message and saw that it was from Tiffany. She returned to her previous seat and read the message out loud. “Jessie and I are here and we’re waiting for our parents. I miss you already. You should’ve just come with us.” She somehow managed to pull an expressionless face even though what she read just send a couple of daggers straight at her chest.

Sooyoung has her gaze fixed on the screen but managed to say, “Yul, would you be so kind and type my reply for me.”

“Sure.”

“Uh…please tell her...aww, man that a****** will pay for doing that.”

“I’ll tell her that? Don’t you think she’d be upset when she reads it,” Yuri said jokingly, knowing very well that that wasn’t what Sooyoung wanted to say to Tiffany.

“Yah! Tell her I miss her too.”

“Sent,” she sighed and put the phone down but quickly grabbed it again when she heard the ringing tone. She read the message silently first and again, it made her want to be in Sooyoung’s shoes. “She said she loves you and she’ll see you later since they’re parents are there already.”

“Oh, please tell her I love her, too.”

Yuri nodded and started typing the message. She took her time in doing so. Her smile grew wider as she typed every letter.

To: Fany
From: Soo
I love you.

“Sent,” she said and stood up.

“Going to sleep already, unnie?”

“Going out. Getting some fresh air.”


---


She sat on the doorstep and thought about what happened. She smiled and felt someone tapping her shoulder. “Hi, Taeng.”

“What are you doing outside?” she asked as she sat beside the tanned girl.

“I just like it here. It’s relaxing.”

It became quiet for a moment ‘til Yuri broke the silence.

“I told Tiffany I love her,” she said while smiling like a little kid.

Taeyeon’s eyes widen. “You did?”

“I sent her a text message.”

“Seriously?”

Yuri nodded. “Soo told me to reply to her text messages.”

Taeyeon hit the back of her head, “You’re delusional! Soo asked you to say ‘I love you’ to Fany using her phone so that really doesn’t mean anything. The moment you sent it to her, she sees it as Soo’s message! Idiot!”

“Why do you have to rain on my parade?”

“I’m stopping you from going completely insane.”

Yuri ignored her and typed something on her phone. A few seconds later, Taeyeon’s phone rang. 

“Hi, Sic—“

“Why are you bullying Yuri again?” Jessica asked in a serious tone.

“I was not,” she hit Yuri again and whispered, “tattletale.” 

“You better behave, Kim Taeyeon. By the way, Tiff and I will stay at our parents’ house for the night. I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye.”

Before she could answer back, Jessica has already hung up so she quickly typed a message and send it to her.

She glared at the giggling Yuri and said. “You, tattletale! It’s not fair using Sica as your shield all the time,” she stomped her way upstairs.


---


“Yul!” Tiffany squealed when she entered the room. “Guess what, guess what, guess what, guess what, guess what, guess what!”

Yuri couldn’t but chuckle at her excited roommate. “What?”

“I’m going to CamSur with Soo and her family and we’ll be there for a week!”

“Yayy…” she said trying to sound enthusiastic but it ended up dry for she was confused. “Is that a country?”

“No, silly! It’s a province in the Philippines which is apparently famous for its water complex among other things. We’re going wake boarding there and yes, I know we could do it here but the idea of doing it in a foreign country sounds more exciting. And we’re gonna go see a volcano!”

Yuri chuckled again. “That sounds exciting.”

“I know, right? She’s also going to introduce me to her family. We’ll go there two weeks after the finals week and we’ll be back here in time for my birthday.”

Oh right. Her birthday’s coming up and I still have no idea what to give her. Maybe I shouldn’t give her one since I think she’d be expecting that.

“How about you, where will you spend your summer vacation?” 

“We’ll go to Victoria and Khun-oppa’s wedding. It’s a beach wedding in Jungmun Beach.”

“Oh, cool. That’s where my parents would be going along with Jessie and Taengoo.” She saw Yuri holding their book in Algebra. “Our exam in Algebra’s tomorrow, right?” Yuri nodded.

“You have got to teach me how to do that one problem that’s a serious pain in the ,” she said and sat on Yuri’s bed. The two of them reviewed their notes together until they got sleepy.


---


It was only the third day of the finals week but the girls were already finished stressing about their finals and was now done with their first semester in their freshman year. 

Tiffany woke up and saw Yuri wrapped up in her blanket but was sweating profusely. It was cold in their room but not that cold to be shivering like that.

She stood up and put a hand on Yuri’s forehead.

“What the hell?” she muttered. She quickly went to her sister’s room and woke Taeyeon up. She didn’t wake Jessica up for obvious reasons.

“Taengoo, get up. Yuri’s sick.”

“Why do you have to wake me up? There are seven other p—“

“You’re the oldest! Come on, Yuri’s fever’s really high. I don’t know the exact temperature so don’t ask.” She dragged the shorter girl before she could complain. She went downstairs to get the thermometer which is, oddly enough, placed in one of the cupboards in the kitchen.

When they got there, Taeyeon knelt down beside Yuri’s bed to check her temperature. It was one of those Infrared non-contact body thermometers. “It is high,” she mumbled. “Was she already feeling this way last night before you two went to bed?”

Tiffany told her that she looked tired and wasn’t talking much. 

"Yuri-ah, wake up.” 

Yuri tried to open her eyes but she felt too weak. She tried to talk and fortunately it was audible enough for the two. “It hurts.”

Tiffany quickly sat on her bed and asked, “Where? What hurts?”

“My whole body hurts,” she said weakly.

Tiffany looked at her worriedly then turned to Taeyeon, “Should we take her to the hospital?”

Yuri grunted. “No. I don’t want to go there.”

Tiffany wiped the sweat on her forehead and reassured her that they won’t go there if she really doesn’t want to. Taeyeon smiled at the scene. I bet if she’s not sick, she’d already be jumping in joy.

When the others woke up, they were immediately informed about Yuri’s state. Everyone was worried since the symptoms were like that of flu. Taeyeon decided to call the Kim’s family doctor and when he got there, he confirmed that Yuri is indeed infected with the virus.

The doctor advised them to wear masks and only allow people to be in contact with Yuri if they are sure that their immune system is strong. Jessica and Taeyeon volunteered to take care of her since they were the two oldest girls there but that didn’t stop Tiffany to volunteer, as well saying that she is Yuri’s roommate.

The three of them would take turns on monitoring her temperature and making sure that she’s hydrated. 

“Good thing we’re done with the finals,” said Jessica while watching Taeyeon as she tried to feed the sick girl.

“Yeah, I guess I’ll be in charge of fixing her schedule next term,” Taeyeon said.

“My sister was really worried about her, huh?”

Taeyeon nodded. “She was frantic all morning.”

Jessica giggled. “Yuri would be so happy if she finds out about that.”

“That’s exactly what I thought.”


---


The next day, Yuri’s condition was still the same. She was still too weak to move. The maknaes also volunteered to take care of her since their unnies are going to have to register the subjects that they’d be taking next term. Tiffany was the first one to come back and told them that she’d take over.

She was wiping Yuri’s sweat. The poor girl felt cold and yet her clothes were drenched in sweat. She tried to lift Yuri’s shirt up in an attempt to change her clothes for her.

Yuri woke up and tried to move away from Tiffany.

“Yul, I need to change your clothes. If I don’t do that, you could have pneumonia.”

Yuri still refused. She might be sick but she was still aware of what was happening. It’d be too awkward if Tiffany would suddenly take her shirt off. “Taeng or Sica.”

Tiffany got confused. “You want either of those two to change your clothes?”

Yuri nodded and went back to clutching the sheets and trying to warm herself up.

“You are so picky. Geez, I’m not going to take advantage of you. I’m not a ert,” she mumbled while making her way downstairs to call the two. She saw them at the kitchen.

Taeyeon quickly volunteered to do it and she and Tiffany made their way upstairs.

“What was that about?” she asked Taeyeon when she saw Taeyeon’s face.

“Yesterday Sica was the one who changed Yuri’s shirt and when she got back to our room, she wouldn’t stop saying that Yuri’s body is no joke.”

“Oh, I see. You’re jealous.”

Taeyeon stomped her feet like a little kid. She tried to make Yuri sit up and lean on the headboard but she couldn’t so the shorter girl just decided to quickly but carefully take her shirt off while she was lying on the bed. 

“Wow,” she said when she’s got a full view of Yuri’s toned body.

“Why?” Tiffany approached her and saw what Taeyeon was staring at.

“How the heck did she have that? I noticed she got thinner but where and how did she get that?”

“So this was what Sica was talking about. I could have this, too,” she said sounding uncertain while poking Yuri’s abs which made the sick girl squirm. “Wow.”

“Taeyeon stop poking her like she’s some meat in a market. Put some clothes on her now or I’ll tell Sica you’re being a byuntae. Why in the world won’t anyone get the damn door!” she said when she heard the continuous ringing of the doorbell. So she went downstairs and saw no one and decided to just open the door.

She saw a tall, good-looking girl with brown locks and a very intimidating gaze. The girl in front of her smiled a little and asked, “Does Yuri Kwon live here?”

She smiled as to not look hostile, not because she wanted to. She’s not getting any good vibes from the girl. “Yeah, you are?”

“Krystal Jung. You?”

“Tiffany Hwang, Yuri’s roommate. She’s sick right now so if you—“

“Can I see her?”

“She’s infected with a virus so I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“I know she’s sick. Taeyeon told me and I’m here to give her the pre-registration papers that she’s going to need next term when she enrols.”

“You could just hand it over and I’ll give it t—“

“Hi, Krystal,” greeted Taeyeon. “Here to visit Yuri?”

“Taeng, I don’t think it’s a good ide—“

“It’s fine. Come on.” She pulled Krystal and went to Yuri’s room. Tiffany followed them and her gaze never left the girl named Krystal.

Taeyeon pulled a chair for her to sit on. She sat on it and said thank you to the short girl whom she’s had classes with. With that, the shorter girl left and now Tiffany was stuck with Krystal and a sleeping Yuri. She watched as the girl removed the stray hair off of Yuri’s face. She watched it a few more seconds before going to the kitchen and heating a canned soup for Yuri.

When she brought it to Yuri, Krystal insisted on feeding her. Trying to avoid any unnecessary arguments, she gave the bowl to the girl and let her feed her roommate.

Krystal’s next statement, however, almost made her want to tackle the taller girl to the ground. “You shouldn’t be feeding her canned soup. The amount of preservatives and MSG in it is not good for a sick person.”

“Well, I don’t normally cook and Taeyeon went out with my si—“

For the nth time today, she got cut off yet again. “You can’t cook?”

The way Krystal said it just made her blood boil and the way the other girl was staring at her wasn’t helping either. 

She stood up and brought the bowl of canned soup with her. “You can’t expect her to feel better if you’re going to feed her an unhealthy meal.”

She scoffed. Her ego just got trampled on by some pompous culinary student. The fact that that particular pompous student was not Yuri just made her want to punch someone. A girl named Krystal Jung would be fine.