Chapter 61: Chocolate Chip Cupcake

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

“You’re perfect for me and more than just a friend so we can just stop pretending now.”

 

Tiffany who was in a foul mood minutes ago was now trying to hide the grin that’s creeping up on her face. Although, she was still slightly ticked off that these people think she’s this easy to cheer up. What makes them think singing me a song would automatically sweep me off my feet?

 

“Oh my god! You totally should stop pretending!”

 

She scowled at Yuri’s ‘fangirls’ who are totally ruining the mood. Yuri, on the other half, didn’t seem to care and continued singing.

 

“Girl, got a question. Could you see yourself with somebody else ‘cause I’m on a mission and I don’t wanna share. I want you all to myself right now.”

 

“The song’s so cheesy.”

 

She ignored her sister’s side comment and focused on her roommate singing her heart out.

 

“Yul-oppa, you sing better than Sooyoung!” Hyoyeon’s jab earned a rough shove in the shoulder courtesy of her best friend.

 

Taeyeon who was standing beside Jessica had an eyebrow arched and her lips pursed. She started comparing herself to Yuri but only pointed out the latter’s flaws just so she could make herself feel better. Tss. Does she really have to confess this way? Of course, Tiffany would say yes. There’s not a lot of people that could reject someone in front of other people. She smirked proudly when she remembered being in the same situation some time last year but she took a different route. A route that she deemed right. At least I asked Sica to be my girlfriend without anyone watching.

 

“Taengoo, please refrain yourself from saying stupid things again especially if it involves Yuri…or anyone that’s stronger and taller than you,” Jessica remarked when she saw the smirk on her girlfriend’s face. “You bruise easily.”

 

“I do not!”

 

“Baby I will be your everything.”

 

When her ‘mini performance’ at their front lawn came to a conclusion, both of them were surprised that the distance between them was no more than Taeyeon’s height.

 

“You really had to ask my ex-girlfriend and her best friend for help?”

 

“What is wrong with people nowadays, forgetting the fact that we have names and all?” Hyoyeon asked as she put aside their props.

 

“Please don’t think badly of it, Fany. We are just so sick of you two acting like high schoolers.”

 

“Um, fangirls, can you leave us alone?”

 

The two girls were appalled that Yuri wanted them to leave before hearing Tiffany’s answer. They didn’t mind being called ‘fangirls.’

 

“How dare you, Yuri! You’re not even going to thank us?”

 

“And by thanking us, Soo meant letting us stay until this is all over.”

 

“No.” Yuri moved her head to the side and smiled at the maknae. “Thanks for your help, Seohyun-ah.”

 

“No problem, unnie.” She smiled at the older girls as she excused herself and went back inside the house.

 

“You are no fun, Yul,” the taller one said, walking away and pulling her best friend with her.

 

“Yah!” The two girls turned around to face Yuri. “Thank you. I really appreciate it…even though I still think this idea’s crazy.”

 

For a second, the two of them felt guilty for even contemplating about eavesdropping but it was just for a second. They eventually raced each other to reach the perfect room to listen in on their friends’ conversation. It happened to be the biggest bedroom in their house. They were surprised to see the other girls already watching the action from the window.

 

Sooyoung squeezed herself in between Seohyun and Sunny. “This is kind of exciting. It’s like watching a reality show where teenagers live together and they deal with their messy love life instead of actually studying and worrying about their future.”

 

“We should place bets. I bet Yuri would get rejected,” said Taeyeon.

 

Everyone thought otherwise.

 

 

---

 

 

“You sang an acoustic version of the song. Seobaby was using an acoustic guitar but you have an electric guitar strapped to your back which you didn’t even use.”

 

Yuri shrugged. “Production value.”

 

“Yul-oppa?”

 

“Not my idea.”

 

“I like ManYul more. It suits you better but I guess Yul-oppa’s fine.”

 

The taller of the two creased her eyebrows and frowned. “I just serenaded you and all you could comment about was this guitar and me being called ‘Yul-oppa’? I should’ve just sung a nursery rhyme seeing as how you didn’t even care much about it.”

 

Seeing the defeated look on the younger girl’s face amused Tiffany. “You sang well.”

 

“I didn’t sing for you so you could praise me.”

 

“What do you want then?” She giggled when her roommate released an exasperated sigh. Call it getting even. Call it being mean. Call it whatever you want but Tiffany just can’t get enough of seeing Yuri in this state.

 

“I want…seriously, did you not listen to the lyrics? I chose the song because it pretty much says everything that I feel except maybe the first line of both verses because I really don’t see their relevance.”

 

Everything could mean tons of stuff.”

 

“I know what everything means, Fany.”

 

“You want to be my everything?”

 

“Yes!” Yuri didn’t mean to yell at the girl but the whole situation was frustrating her.

 

“You want to be my servant?”

 

“I was thinking of wanting to be your girlfriend as opposed to being your slave.”

 

“Well, you should’ve picked a different song then.”

 

“Like what?!” Again, Yuri wasn’t angry at Tiffany. She just didn’t like that their conversation was becoming more pointless by the minute.

 

“I don’t know. Avril’s song perhaps.”

 

“Girlfriend? Hyo suggested that but I declined.” She paused when she thought she heard someone said ‘You should’ve listened to me and picked that song.’ “You’re not even taken anymore and I’m not really comfortable singing ‘You’re so fine. I want you mine. You’re so delicious’.”

 

“Why not? That would’ve been funny.”

 

“We are so off topic now. I don’t even know how we ended up talking about Avril’s song. I just wanted to ask you to be my girlfriend. Don’t even try and say no.”

 

Tiffany arched a brow and huffed. “You cannot tell me what to do.”

 

“Are you going to say no if I ask you right now to be my girlfriend?”

 

“Ask me.”

 

“Are you really going to say no?”

 

“Just ask!”

 

“Be my girlfriend?”

 

Tiffany tilted her head to the side and gave Yuri the most breath-taking smile the latter has ever seen. The feeling of being on the receiving end of that smile is akin to having a near death experience except Yuri could swore she saw the rest of how her life would be with Tiffany by her side. The arguments, the cuddling, oh how Yuri would love to cuddle with the girl in front of her and she’s not even a fan of tiny skinship like holding hands or hugging.

 

“No.”

 

“What?” Yuri’s bubble thought that contained only happy things with unicorns and rainbows was popped with one word. “Did you really say no?”

 

Hearing the shorter girl giggling made the others groan.

 

“Why is my sister so stupid?”

 

“Fany’s just looking for trouble now.”

 

“We should lock the door and bolt it or something so we won’t feel the wrath of Yuri.”

 

When Tiffany stopped chuckling, everyone else paid attention to Yuri who was literally shaking in anger. She didn’t understand what was going on. She thought Tiffany wanted for them to be official as well. Was it because of the incident earlier? I didn’t even do anything wrong!

 

“I did say no…but I was just kidding—Yah! Where are you going?” Tiffany chased after Yuri who was powerwalking her way away from their house and away from Tiffany.

 

“Real funny!”

 

“Oh come on, Yul!”

 

Tiffany grabbed her by the arm, hoping that Yuri would stop walking and talk to her. “I was just kidding. You do it all the time so could you please relax?”

 

“I do it all the time? What do you mean I do it all the time? Have you ever asked me to be your girlfriend?”

 

“You know what I’m talking about.”

 

“No, I don’t.” Yuri freed her arm from Tiffany’s grip. “If things get pretty serious between us and I ask you to be my wife, are you going to answer the way you did earlier?”

 

“Whoa, whoa, hold it right there. You just asked me to be your girlfriend seconds ago and now you’re asking me about that already?”

 

The taller of the two gritted her teeth and slammed her palm against her forehead. “Oh right, thanks for reminding me that the girl that I thought I’d be spending the rest of my life with moments ago is afraid of commitment. It’s also quite possible that all I’ll ever be to her is just another girlfriend that she’s going to be real possessive of and throw away like a used chew toy once she gets fed up.”

 

“Hey, that is not true and you’re being really rude and offensive right now.”

 

“Tell me I’m wrong then.”

 

“I don’t know who’s wrong and who’s right!” Tiffany yelled. She was starting to get really irritated, much like Yuri. “I’m just as uncertain as you are. I don’t know what’s going to happen to us five years from now and I have no way of knowing but I do know that I’m not as bad as you think I am right now. I’m not gonna treat you like a chew toy.”

 

Yuri didn’t respond.

 

“And I’ve already said yes to being your girlfriend, haven’t I?”

 

“No, you just said you were kidding,” Yuri murmured.

 

“Well then…yes, I would love to be your girlfriend.” The shorter girl cupped Yuri’s face and was supposed to place a kiss on the latter’s lips but she was stopped by a palm that squarely hit her face.

 

“You can’t kiss me. It’s your punishment.”

 

“Punishment for what?”

 

“For deciding to goof around when I was being totally serious.” Tiffany sighed.

 

A few meters away from them, Taecyeon who was doing his afternoon jog was checking out to see if he really did step on poop. He didn’t want to stop so instead he just looked back to get a glimpse of the sole of his right shoe which resulted into him bumping into Tiffany. That, of course, ended into Tiffany colliding into Yuri and their lips meeting when they least expected it.

 

Neither one of them broke the contact, even Yuri who thought of ‘No kissing’ as a punishment seemed to enjoy the kiss that they were sharing. What she didn’t enjoy though was having someone watching them.

 

“What the hell are you looking at, Dumbo?”

 

Taecyeon pointed at himself. “Me?”

 

“Yes, you! You’re the only one with big ears here.”

 

The poor guy didn’t even know why he got so scared of the lady that was smaller and skinnier than him so he just continued jogging and hoped he’d never cross paths with her again.

 

“The jerk didn’t even apologize for bumping into you.”

 

“Let him be. Now, what were you saying about no kissing?”

 

“I don’t recall saying anything like that.”

 

Just when Yuri was about to kiss Tiffany once again, the shorter girl saw something in the corner of her eyes and had to turn away. “Is that Ms. Thor?”

 

“I’m not sure but I do know we’re the only ones who dare break the rule of keeping a pet in the school grounds.”

 

The two walked towards the cat, hands glued to each other, and stared at the tiny being chasing a butterfly.

 

“Ms. Thor you could be roadkill here.”

 

“Those idiots let her out again.” Yuri watched as the ball of fur cuddled up in Tiffany’s arms. “You and your cute short legs enjoy my girlfriend’s arms while you still can.”

 

Tiffany chuckled and shook her head. She could deal with a possessive Yuri.

 

 

---

 

 

The two came back with a sleeping kitten on Tiffany’s arms and a puppy-like Yuri who had her hand inside Tiffany’s pocket.

 

“Do you guys want to come with us? I do believe Taeng owes us all dinner.”

 

“For what?” Tiffany asked, sitting on the couch beside Yuri.

 

“For betting on you saying no to Yuri-unnie,” Yoona answered as she put on her shoes.

 

Yuri glared at Taeyeon who was hiding behind her girlfriend.

 

“I think we’ll be staying here. You guys go ahead.”

 

“Unnies, please don’t do the nasty on the couch.”

 

Pretty much everyone had their mouths gaping at the maknae’s statement. Yoona received a whack on the side of her head courtesy of Sunny.

 

“You’ve corrupted her.”

 

“Sunny-unnie, you’re the one who corrupted me. You and Hyoyeon-unnie.”

 

“Okay, let’s go and eat dinner.” Sunny made a beeline towards the door with Hyoyeon in tow.

 

When the other girls left, Tiffany and Yuri stared at each other and burst out laughing.

 

“That’s funny. Us doing it in this couch.”

 

The two of them stayed mum before Tiffany broke the silence with a request. “Hey, Everything.”

 

“Are you…did you just…you’re not going to call me that, are you?”

 

“I don’t see why not. You did say you wanted to be my everything.”

 

“Yeah but that was before you said no. I’ve already taken back what I said.”

 

“You can’t do that anymore. I’ve already said yes.”

 

The brewing argument was put to a halt by a soft voice coming from the stairs. “Have you guys seen Sunny?”

 

It was Hyomin who had her hair messed up and her eyes glittered with eye gunk.

 

“Oh my god, Sunny forgot about you. They all headed off to eat dinner, Taeyeon’s treat.”

 

“She didn’t even text you or give you call?”

 

The girl checked her phone and shook her head. “It’s fine. My Sunny bunny’s old and she tends to forget things.”

 

“You’re not a ‘thing’ though,” Tiffany defended. “You are her girlfriend. Are you sure you want to be with someone like that?”

 

Hyomin took the seat beside Tiffany. “She’s going to be forgetting stuff like me sleeping in her room or more important things like our first anniversary but she makes up for it. I don’t expect her to remember to invite me on outings with you guys all the time and I know we’re going to have arguments but I do expect her to apologize and I’m glad she does that every time. She apologizes even if it’s not entirely her fault so yeah, I’m sure I want to be with someone like her.”

 

She then received a text message from Sunny saying she was sorry for forgetting to wake her up and told her that she should stay put and wait for her.

 

Hyomin grinned and pushed her hair back, showing the message to both Yuri and Tiffany. “See what I mean?”

 

“You still shouldn’t forgive her just like that.”

 

“Fany,” Yuri called and sent her a glare. “Don’t listen to her. It’s nice to see you two getting along despite Sunny’s shortcomings.”

 

Hyomin sniggered. “Short.” She sent a text to Sunny saying that she’d go to where they are instead of Sunny picking her up and bid goodbye to the couple.

 

“I wanna be like them.”

 

“Don’t you dare be like Sunny and forget about important things like me or our anniversary,” Tiffany warned.

 

“That’s not what I meant. I want us to forgive each other for our faults and learn how to say sorry even if it wasn’t our fault.”

 

“With our huge pride? You’re being delusional, Kwon.”

 

“I could always lower my pride for you. It’s just a matter of you learning or just trying to do the same thing.”

 

Tiffany turned sideways to face her girlfriend. “Why do I feel like you’d want me to change every negative thing about myself?”

 

“I just want us to work and I want you to try to at least make it work.”

 

“Yah, what makes you think I won’t?” Tiffany hit Yuri’s arm and stared at the laughing girl.

 

“When you decided to joke around and answer no earlier.”

 

“You’re never gonna let that go, huh?”

 

Yuri tucked the loose hair strands on the shorter girl’s face and just when Tiffany thought she was going to get a kiss, she got a rough slap on her forehead. “Ouch! What the hell, Yul?”

 

Yuri was already up on her feet and walking towards the kitchen. “You want something to eat?”

 

“Are you really going to try and calm me down with food right after you slapped my forehead?”

 

“Yes, chocolate chip cupcake?”

 

“Lots of chocolate chips?”

 

Yuri nodded and Tiffany shrugged. “Sure.”

 

“You’re not going to help me make it?”

 

“No.”

 

Yuri wanted to say that it was a rhetorical question but she decided against it.

 

Everything.”

 

“Yes, delicious girlfriend?”

 

Tiffany smiled. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

Before Yuri turned away, Tiffany caught a glimpse of Yuri’s smile. It was something she’s sure she’d want to see for a very long time and something she would never want to share with Krystal.