Chapter 27: London Blue Topaz

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

Tiffany was the first one to wake up the next morning. She was blaming her body clock. She just got so used to waking up early since all they’re classes start really early.

Her feet led her to the kitchen. So here she was looking for something to eat.

“Fany-ah?”

She turned around and looked at the person who called her.

“You should sleep more, Kwon. Are you thirsty?” she asked. 

“Yeah,” the girl mumbled. She sat down on one of the bar stools and looked at Tiffany who handed her a bottle of Gatorade.

After drinking a few gulps, she put the bottle on top of the counter. “Where’d you go?”

“What?” Tiffany was still rummaging through the fridge.

“I woke up at around,” she paused. She didn’t really know what time she woke up. “I woke up ‘cause I needed to use the toilet and you weren’t there anymore. Where’d you go?”

“Oh, well, I tried to tell you about that last night. Sooyoung and I agreed to sleep in the same room. When I was starting to doze off, I heard someone knocking on the door and it was her. She had this small cut on her cheek caused by your drinking buddy,” she answered.

Yuri nodded. “So ‘Nurse Hwang’ had to tend to her cut. Arasso.”

“You’re extra grouchy today, Miss I-don’t-drink-because-it’s-bad-for-my-liver,” Tiffany said as she took out two eggs.

“I’m not. Are you planning to eat raw eggs? That’d be fun to watch.” 

“I’m planning to…cook,” she answered in a hushed tone. Her answer was more like a question.

Yuri stood up and took the eggs from her. She rummaged through the fridge and found pork chops in the freezer and leftover rice from last night. 

She started by sautéing onion and garlic on a pan then adding the rice. She told Tiffany to get two plates from the cupboard. Tiffany watched intently as she scooped a cup of rice and put it on each plate. She deep fried the pork chops.

Then, she fried the eggs, sunny side up and put it on top of the rice. When the pork chop was cooked, she placed it on the plate. 

Tiffany smiled gleefully. “Just looking at it makes me full.” She took the plate and let Yuri carry the other one. The two went to the dining room and Tiffany sat down. Yuri placed the plate on the table.

Tiffany looked at her and asked, “You’re not going to eat?”

Yuri shook her head. “Give it to Soo.”

“You’re going to let me eat by myself?”

Yuri didn’t answer her and just looked past her. “Morning, Soo.”

“Morning,” she said groggily. She sat beside Tiffany.

“Morning, Yuri cooked food for us.”

“Thanks, Yul. Where the heck did she go?” She was looking around but there was no Yuri in sight.


---


Yuri was headed upstairs to go back to sleep when she bumped into someone. “Shinyoung-unnie.”

“Hi, Yul. I didn’t know you guys spent the night here. Where’s Taeyeon? You guys skipped class again?”

Yuri realized that it’s Tuesday. “I guess we kinda forgot we had classes. Oh well. We’re not going to flunk if we missed one meeting. Taeyeon’s probably still sleeping.”

“Thanks.”

Shinyoung went to Taeyeon’s room. She didn’t even bother knocking since it’s what she usually does. She walked towards the bed but stopped midway. She smirked and decided to wake Taeyeon up in a not so gentle way. She ran towards the bed like she was going to tackle someone. When she landed on the bed, she started rolling around and shouted, “Taeyeon-ah.”

She was later pushed off the bed by none other than Jessica. It turns out that Shinyoung landed on Jessica since Taeyeon was on the other side of the bed.

“Oh, you two slept in the same bed?” she asked while rubbing her aching bum.

Jessica looked at her right and saw Taeyeon curled up in a ball. “Yah!” She started kicking Taeyeon.

Taeyeon grunted.”Sica, what was that for?”

“What are you doing here?”

“You wouldn’t let go of my arm last night,” Taeyeon stood up on the bed and saw Shinyoung on the floor. “Unnie, did you bring it?”

She walked towards Shinyoung and stood there. Shinyoung stared and stared. “Aigoo~ I’m fine. It’s not like your girlfriend just pushed me off the bed or something.” She stood up and searched her pocket for the thing Taeyeon was asking for.

“Unnie~” she whined. “You just placed it in your pocket? You could’ve at least put it inside a gift box or a paper box!”

“Do you know how much trouble I went through to get you this?” she took out a piece of jewelry from her pocket which Taeyeon quickly grabbed.

“I would like to thank you for that but you could’ve scratched it,” she grabbed Sica’s hand and gently pulled her. She led her to the balcony. Taeyeon was somewhat surprised that Jessica did not protest.

They were standing there facing each other. “I told you I’d give you a better birthday present, right?” She reluctantly reached for Jessica’s nape thinking that the necklace clasp was there. She was staring at the other girl in the process and Jessica was staring back at her.

The blonde giggled and reached for her necklace. When she located where the clasp was, she showed it to Taeyeon and said, “Fail.” She was supposed to unfasten it herself but stopped when Taeyeon’s hands grabbed hers.

She took it off of Jessica and removed the hoop earring she gave her last night. She replaced it with a circle pendant that holds a London Blue Topaz. The gem looked like it was floating around the circle. She gently put the necklace on Jessica and said, “I’ve said it for like a hundred times last night but it won’t hurt if I say it again. Happy birthday, Sica.”

“Thank you. It’s pretty,” she said as she looked at it.

“I—“

“Don’t even think about saying a cheesy line, Taengoo,” she warned.

“I was going to say it’s expensive.” That earned her a glare and a smack on the side of the head. “I don’t mind though.” There was a long pause.

“I read somewhere that giving a blue topaz symbolizes fidelity. I don’t know if it’s true or not but if you give me the chance,” she paused and looked at Jessica straight in the eye, “I promise I won’t look at other people the same way I look at you.”

Jessica smiled warmly. She wouldn’t deny the fact that what Taeyeon said touched her. “What did I tell you about saying cheesy lines?”

The shorter girl scratched the back of her head. “I didn’t know how to put it any other way.”

Jessica leaned on the railings and looked at the entirety of the Kim’s backyard, silently agreeing on giving the kid a chance.


---


It was nearly noon when everyone woke up and the first place they went to was, of course, the kitchen. “I’m hungry.”

“I feel like my mouth’s a desert.”

“Taengoo-ah! Feed us!” Sunny exclaimed. Her Hyomin just left since she has to attend her class. As for the girls, they don’t really mind skipping. “Where the heck are Taengoo and Sica again? Those two are always missing. I bet those two are doing—“

“What?” Jessica asked. 

“Nothing,” Sunny said with a teeth clenching smile. “I forgot to give you my gift last night. I’ll get it in the car.” She immediately went to the garage to get her gift.

While waiting for Sunny, they all just stared at each other, grinning and thinking of whom to make fun of first. 

“So, Jessie, you slept with Taeyeon last night,” Tiffany said. “How was it?”

“What do you mean how was it? We slept. Taengoo probably was snoring or sleep talking, I don’t know. I don’t really care because I.WAS.SLEEPING.”

“Where’s Shinyoung-unnie?” Taeyeon asked to dismiss the topic.

“She’s outside playing with Yuri,” Tiffany answered.

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows,” Playing what?”

Before Tiffany could answer, Sunny arrived carrying what seemed to be a framed picture.

“Tada!” It was a caricature of Jessica holding a calculator on her right hand and a bunch of paper on the other while sitting behind the desk filled with more papers.

Jessica took a closer look, “Why is my name plate Kim Jessica?”

“Do you really have to ask?” Hyoyeon asked rhetorically.

“It was an honest mistake.”

“Fany-ah, where are Yuri and Shinyoung-unnie?”

“They said they were going to play Judo on the patio. They even got mats and stuff.”

“Is she crazy? She’s going to get smashed by Shinyoung-unnie,” Taeyeon exclaimed and went outside. The girls followed her.

When they got there, Shinyoung was in the middle of executing a shoulder throw. They weren’t able to stop her so they could only hope that Yuri won’t be badly injured.

Tiffany ran to Yuri’s side and checked if she was fine. What was she thinking? Of course, her roommate wasn’t fine. 

Yuri grunted in pain. “I hate Shinyoung-unnie. I hate…gravity. I hate these freakin’ mats for not breaking my fall.”

“You hate a lot of stuff,” Tiffany giggled. “Can you stand up or does nurse Hwang need to assist you, you big baby.”

Shinyoung let out a laugh, “Should’ve taught you how to fall properly, huh? I’m hungry. Let’s eat.”

Everyone else went inside save for Sooyoung and Taeyeon who helped Tiffany assist Yuri. They had lunch together with Shinyoung and went back to campus before dinner.

“We should’ve stayed there longer. It’s our free day tomorrow,” said Yoona.

While the others were talking, Yuri was busy typing a message on her phone. Tiffany nudged her and asked, “Who are you texting?”

“One of my classmates in a major subject,” she answered.

“The one who asked for your number? What’s her name again? Krystal? The one who looks like Jessica,” Taeyeon decided to in. Jessica looked at her and asked who this Krystal is.

“She seriously looks like you,” Taeyeon said. “She has a thing for Yuri.”

Yuri’s phone rang. She stood up and answered it, “Dad?”


---


“Do you really have to go?” she asked. She was sitting on her bed watching Yuri pack her things.

“Yes.”

When will you come back?”

“I’ll be gone for two weeks,” she answered as she zipped up her bag.

“Do you really really have to go?” she asked again.

“Yes, Tiffany. I swear if you ask one more time…”

“I’ll be sleeping alone? In this big room?” Tiffany pouted.

“Yes.”

Tiffany stood up and walked towards Yuri. She stretched her arms out and waited for Yuri to give her a hug. She waited for a few more seconds before sighing and making her way to her. “Sheesh, Yul.” Tiffany hugged her tightly while she just stood there.

When Tiffany broke the hug, she hit Yuri lightly on her arm. “You can’t even give me a proper hug?”

Yuri looked dumbfounded, “What for?”

“I’ll just miss you, that’s all.”

Yuri chuckled, “Pabo-yah, we’ll see each other during class.”

“Still…”

Yuri smiled. “I have to go. My dad’s going crazy because my nephew won’t stop crying.”

“Why do your brother and his wife have to leave their son? Couldn’t they bring him along with them?”

“How will they enjoy their Caribbean cruise?” She handed her phone to Tiffany which the latter didn’t take immediately. “I haven’t bought you a new phone yet. You could use mine for now and I’ll give you your new phone on Thursday. My dad’s number is saved there so if you need anything just send a message to that number.”

Tiffany took it and looked at the wallpaper. “This is your nephew? He’s so cute!”

Yuri stared at her with a straight face. “That’s me.” She walked out of the room carrying her luggage.

Tiffany was left there laughing her off.

“Bye, Yul. Take care,” everyone said once Yuri headed out.


---


It’s been a week since Yuri moved out and stayed at her uncle’s house where her dad and nephew were staying while in Seoul. She’s gotten used to Tiffany bugging her every night. Ever since she gave Tiffany her new pink phone, her roommate has been calling her non-stop. She usually called at night before sleeping. Yuri’s also used to hearing Tiffany’s snore over the phone every time the girl falls asleep while she’s on the phone with her.

Here she was again on the phone with her bubbly roommate. “What is it this time, Fany-ah?”

“You need to come back like right now. Taengoo’s only cooking whatever it is that Jessica wants. She’s totally neglecting us.”

Yuri just chuckled.

“Yul,is it okay if Sooyoung would sleep here?” the girl on the other line asked.

“Sure. Tell her not to touch my things though.”

“Okay. Thanks, Yul. Good night.”

“Night.”


---


It was a Sunday morning when her brother called and told her that they’re back and they’ll be picking up their son and their dad.

She bid them goodbye and drove herself back to campus. Much to her surprise, everyone was already up and eating their breakfast.

“I’m back.”

“Yuri-unnie, you have no idea how much we missed you,” said Yoona.

“Yes, you have no idea. Taeyeon’s starving us to death.”

“I wasn’t.”

Tiffany approached her and hugged her tightly, “I’ve missed you, Kwon.”

“We’re back to calling each other by our last name, Hwang?”

Sundays are always nonproductive for the girls. Before they know it, it was already night time. After having dinner, they all went to their rooms.

“Yuri,” Tiffany called but Yuri ignored her. Her roommate has been bugging her since lunch time, calling her name just to say ‘Hi’.

“Yuri…Kwon Yuri!”

“What?! Don’t you dare say ‘hi’.”

Tiffany thought of other things to say. “I’ve missed you,” she said in a rather cute way.

Yuri sighed and went back to what she was doing.

Tiffany opened her laptop and went online. She saw that Yuri was online, too. Another way to bug her.

She smirked as she buzzed and sent instant messages to her roommate that contained ‘Kwon’, ‘Yul’ or ‘Kwon Yuri’.

It was the last straw for her. “Yah! What the heck do you want?”

“Who’s Victoria?” Tiffany asked while looking at a particular window on her screen.

“What?”

“Victoria, I’ll be right back. I just need to do something,” she read out loud.

“Aish, great! I typed it in the wrong window! Please stop, Fany-ah. I’m not even kidding anymore,” she said in a serious tone.

“So who’s this Victoria?”

“My brother’s friend. She helped us on taking care of my nephew.”

They heard a knock on the door and Tiffany stood up to get it. It was Sooyoung.

Yuri looked up for a second and was supposed to go back to typing a message when she saw Sooyoung slid her hands to Tiffany’s waist. It’s either the two were talking inaudibly or her brain just decided to shut down. 

To her surprise, she saw Sooyoung tilted her head and pecked Tiffany’s lips. Tiffany’s arms moved from Sooyoung’s shoulder to the back of the taller girl’s neck. From Yuri’s point of view, it seemed like Tiffany deepened the kiss. Yuri knew it was rude to stare so she looked away.

“Good night,” she heard them say.

Tiffany closed the door and went back to her bed.

“Care to share why you were the air out of each other,” she asked.

Tiffany looked confused for a second. “Oh! I forgot to tell you. Me and Sooyoung, we’re official now,” she answered with a huge smile on her face.

“You didn’t bother to tell me when we saw each other at our classes together? How did it happen?”

“I forgot, I’m sorry. Well, I don’t really know. It happened so fast. She told me she loves me, I told her I love her, too and then we kissed and then she asked me to be her girlfriend,” she answered in one breath.

“You told her you love her? Weeks ago you said you only like her as a FRIEND? Why the sudden change of heart?”

Tiffany frowned, “Can’t I change my mind? Don’t I have the right to change my mind? If I remember correctly, you and my sister were the ones who convinced me to give her a chance.”

Yuri thought about it and she was right. “Congratulations to you two, then.”