Chapter 18: Ask her out

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

A few days after telling Jessica the story between her and Seohyun, Yoona has been uneasy every time she’s with Seohyun. Both of them were eating their breakfast and no one’s talking. Seohyun was stealing glances while Yoona was looking down.

“Yoong, are you okay?” Seohyun asked as she reached out her hand to touch Yoona’s face. Ever since they broke up, Seohyun has never had the courage to initiate skinship. Everytime they volunteer to wash the dishes and their hands would accidentally touch, they move away and talk to try to clear the awkwardness. Seeing the lively Yoona be quiet all of a sudden made her throw away her shyness. “Is there something wrong? Look at me.”

Yoona looked at her with a mischievous smile.

“Yah! Were you just acting? Aish, Yoong!”

“You called me ‘Yoong’ again, Hyunnie,” she said using her aegyo-filled voice.

Seohyun puffed her cheeks, “You were acting strange. I thought something was up. I’m not used to you not talking. You never run out of stories to tell.”

“Really?” Seohyun nodded. “I was just sleepy. Your hands are cold, Hyunnie,” she said when she touched Seohyun’s hand that’s still placed on her left cheek. They had eye-contact for about five seconds before someone interrupted.

“Yah,” someone said in an annoyed and groggy tone. She sat beside Yoona and whispered something to her. “Just because I told you to get her back it doesn’t mean you two could do that here. I hate public display of affection so if you’re going to do that lovey-dovey thing, you two should leave. I don’t want to choke on my breakfast.”

Yoona whispered to her as well. “Yes, Sica-unnie and we’re not back together yet.”

Jessica nodded and said, “Can you get me some cereal.”

Yoona whispered to her again. “Yah, unnie just because you realized that you don’t like me that much doesn’t mean you could boss me around.”

“But I told you to get her back so be a good dongsaeng and get me some cereal. You owe me,” Jessica whispered back.

Seohyun cleared , “Do you guys want me to leave so you don’t have to talk that way?”

“No, no. Yoona volunteered to get me cereal.”

Yoona stood up and went to the kitchen to get Jessica her breakfast. 

“So Seohyun-ah, how are you?”

Seohyun looked at her weirdly. Jessica has never really said a word to her before during breakfast but she answered anyways.

“I’m doing fine, Sica-unnie.” She was a bit hesitant to use address Jessica as ‘Sica’ since they’re not really that close.

“Good, good.” She saw a music sheet sticking out of Seohyun’s notebook. “Oh you can read music notes? Can you play any instrument?”

“I’m a Music Major, unnie. I can play the piano.”

“Really?”

Seohyun nodded.

“Good morning,” Taeyeon greeted. 

“Taengoo-ah, Seohyun can play the piano, did you know that?”

As much as Taeyeon wanted to pretend that she wasn’t aware, she couldn’t, “Everyone knows that. We’ve been living together for two weeks now.”

Jessica nodded, “I’m not good in remembering things like that. I’m good at numbers though.”

“Yes, numbers are more important than people’s names,” Taeyeon answered. It was her drowsiness talking.

“Yah,” Jessica hit her lightly. If people define skinship as shoving and hitting, then she and Jessica have had tons of skinship already. They’re not even a couple yet. Unfortunately, in the real world, shoving and hitting are considered a form of physical abuse.

“You’re having too much fun hitting me,” Taeyeon said before she ate a spoonful of cereal.

“Wait for her to kick you. It’s more painful,” Tiffany said. She just entered the dining area and walked past them with a sleepy Yuri in tow.


---


“I want a BLT sandwich. You have to make me one since you lost last night,” Tiffany ordered Yuri. 

Yuri lost in a game. JamLegend. She thought it’d be as easy as playing the piano. She was wrong. Her hand-eye coordination was so messed up compared to Tiffany.

“You seriously want me to make you one? I have to cook bacon first and you might not have enough time to finish it. We’ll both be late.”

“We’ll eat it on the way. I’m pretty sure we could finish it in less than five minutes and don’t worry about your breath Ms. Neat Freak, I’ll bring Altoids.”

“Why do—“

“I got it from my mom’s room. I don’t know where she bought it so don’t ask.”

Yuri sighed and lazily prepared a BLT sandwich.

“I’ll slice the tomatoes and toast the bread,” said Tiffany.

“I should just make one and we’ll share.”

Tiffany nodded and carefully sliced the tomatoes. Yuri fried the bacons and sliced the lettuce. After preparing their breakfast, they both started eating it on their way to school. When they got there, both of them popped Altoids in their mouths and checked each other if they have food stuck on their teeth. This is all, of course, Yuri’s idea. She will never go to class looking like a mess. Neat Freak alert.


---


The girls, excluding Yuri and Tiffany, were in their PE class and all of them looked like they’re going to faint, except for Hyoyeon who has foreseen this happening.

“Told you the guy was strict,” she said, fanning herself.

They looked at Hyoyeon but immediately turned to their heads to the person breathing heavily. It was Sooyoung who looked like a fish out of water. She was raggedly breathing as she leaned on the wall. 

“I’m…going…to hire an assassin…” she said. 

“To end your agony? Why waste your money? We could just kill you now,” Sunny said after dehydrating herself. All of them ran about 300 metres non-stop. They were also timed by the terror professor and if they didn’t finish the run within the time limit, they have to do it all over again. Everyone thought that he was just joking. He had this warm smile while he was saying his instructions so the students thought it was just his way of encouraging them to put as much effort as they could. 

They thought he didn’t mean it so the girls ran around like they were shooting some sort of CF. Once they reached their professor, their expressions changed from bright smiles to an expression somewhat similar to seeing a ghost. Professor Henney had a dark expression and told them to do it again.

Sooyoung has regained her strength and is now breathing normally again. She glared at Sunny and said, “I’m going to hire an assassin to take that guy down and you’ll be next,” she walked towards Sunny, “on second thought, why waste my money, right? I could just kill you now.”

“Before I dismiss this class, I would just like to say that if you are smoking, you better quit now because you will not pass this course. That concludes our lesson for today. I suggest you guys do something about your stamina so as not to look like a bunch of forty year olds who just ran a marathon. My grandparents could do better than all of you.”

With that, the terror teacher got out of the gym and headed to god-knows-where. 

The six girls simultaneously turned their heads to look at Sooyoung. They all had the look that says, “He’s talking about you, dude.”

“I don’t smoke that much only when I’m stressed. Hyo, back me up,” she whined.

“I thought my sister was helping you with that,” Jessica decided to in.

“Yeah but it’s hard.”

“Dream girl can’t help you quit? Wow then you’re doomed,” her best friend, Hyoyeon, concluded.

“Dream girl? So you really like Tiffany?” Sooyoung nodded. “So she was right. I can’t believe she’s actually right,” Jessica chuckled.

“She knows?” Sooyoung asked. “How?”

“I have no idea. She said something about how you look at her. She said she can tell,” Jessica answered.

“What’d she say about it?” Sooyoung asked reluctantly.

Jessica thought about her answer carefully, “You should ask her not me.”

I am not going to break Sooyoung’s hope. I’ll let my sister deal with that problem, she said to herself.

“Ask her? Like ‘Tiffany what do you think about me liking you?’ I can’t just do that.”

“Of course you can. You could just go up to her and ask her ‘Hey, do you want to go out on a date with me?’" I bet my sister already has an answer to that question.


---


“No,” Tiffany said to Yuri as she looked at the octopus on the plate. It was still squirming.

The two of them went to a market to buy food. Sooyoung, Yoona and Jessica have joined forces on devouring every food they see in the fridge and in their pantry. They were on their way home when an old lady called them and told them to try eating a live octopus. Yuri was willing to try and experience eating the octopus but Tiffany was less enthused.

“I am not going to eat that. WE are not going to eat that,” she told Yuri for the second time.

“I won’t die if I eat so why shouldn’t I?” Yuri retorted.

“You would die if you eat that. Eating that is deadly. I watched it a couple of years ago on the National Geographic channel. Let’s go.”

“But I want to try it,” Yuri complained.

Tiffany approached the old lady. “Sorry ahjumma, I don’t think we can eat it. Thank you for the offer though. We’ll leave now,” she said in Korean and bowed. 

She pulled Yuri with her. “You are crazy for wanting to try that. You could choke on that!” she scolded Yuri. She linked arms with Yuri as they walked to where she parked her car.

“I’ve eaten exotic dishes before. I’ve eaten frogs, those little insects you see –“

“Were they alive when you ate them? What the hell? Did you just say ‘insects’?”

Yuri nodded, “Insects are crunchy and no, the frog wasn’t alive when I ate it but—“

“You shouldn’t eat things that are deadly. It could choke you. Do I have to repeat myself again?”

Yuri pouted, “You’re no fun.” She looked down and noticed that they were linking arms. She looked at Tiffany then pointed to their arms. 

“What? You should be honoured I’m linking arms with you.”

Yuri scoffed. She’s really conceited. She tried to remove their linked arms but Tiffany held onto her tighter. Tiffany stuck her tongue out while Yuri put on an irritated face.

They were almost there when Yuri saw a guy sitting on a bench. The guy looked at Tiffany from head to toe. Yuri looked at him and saw him smiling like a ert. . 

“Yul, we forgot one of the bags in the restaurant,” said Tiffany when they were already in front of her car.

“Get in the car and I’ll get it.” She thought it would bothersome if both of them would go back. Tiffany nodded and a few minutes later, Yuri got back with the bag full of food. 


---


“Should I really ask her out? Do you seriously think it’s a good idea?” Sooyoung asked Hyoyeon for the nth time.

Hyoyeon nodded, “Your dream girl’s here,” she said when she saw Tiffany enter the house, “Go for it! Sooyoung, Hwaiting!”

I think I’m going to throw up. No. Sooyoung, get a hold of yourself. You can do this. Hwaiting!

“Hi, Fany. Can I talk to you?”

“Hi, Sooyoung. I need to talk to you, too. Actually, I need to talk to you, Yoona and my sister. Where are they?”

“I don’t know.”

“I need to talk to you three about our food. You can’t just eat everything that you see in the pantry. You three are seriously like Pacman. You eat everything in the way. You cannot—“

“Do you want to go out with me on a date?” Sooyoung just blurted out.