Chapter 23: Strawberry Crepe

chocolate CHIP COOKie

“So Sunny… Is there anything you want to say to me? Do you want to confess anything? I’m here to listen,” she smirked.

“Hyo, are you high?”

“Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about, Sunny. I saw that notebook of yours. The one that you scribble on when you’re bored.”

Sunny ‘s expression darkened, “You were snooping?”

“Just answer my question, Sunny. Do you have anything that you want to say to me?”

“Personal space. You’re invading my personal space, Hyo.” Hyoyeon’s face was about two inches away from hers. 

“Okay,” she said as she moved away a little. “So you want to do this the HARD way, huh?”

She started pacing back and forth with her hand in her pockets.

“What?”

“I saw what you wrote at the back of that notebook, Sunny. I’m flattered and all bu—“

“So you saw some stuff I wrote about Hyomin. What’s that gotta do with you?”

Hyoyeon’s face contorted when she heard the name, “Hyo…min? Who the heck is Hyomin?”

Sunny came to a realization and she couldn’t help but to laugh at her ‘delusional’ roommate. “You thought it was you? That Hyo is actually ‘Hyoyeon’? Oh my god!”

“Yah! Stop laughing! Who’s this Hyomin?” 

“We’re dating.”

Hyoyeon hit her arm and said, “And you’re only telling me this now because?”

“I had to tell you stuff like that? I haven’t even introduced her to my parents and my cousin yet.”

Hyoyeon thought about it. “But still you could’ve at least told me about her a little. I don’t even know who she is. Is she in our class?”

Sunny shook her head and said, “I met her through my classmate’s cousin’s sister’s friend.”

Hyoyeon didn’t even try to understand what Sunny said. 

“That’s what you get for being such a nosy kid. You actually thought I like you? You seriously thought I was referring to you when you saw ‘HyoSun’ at the back of my notebook?”

Hyoyeon couldn’t deny that fact. She immediately thought she was that ‘Hyo’. The ‘Hyo’ that Sunny wrote in different fonts. The ‘Hyo’ that Sunny wrote inside a beautifully drawn heart. She even saw a sketch of two hands glued to each other and ‘HyoSun’ was written on top.

Hyoyeon pouted and gave her ‘the look’. CLICK THIS!

“You could’ve at least pretended that you liked me. I’ve already prepared my speech to reject you and tell you that you’re not my type.”

Sunny laughed, “You are definitely something, Hyo." Hyoyeon gave her 'the look' again


---


“AAHH!”

Sooyoung woke up when she heard someone shrieked. She looked at Yuri’s bed but the girl was not there. She sat up and saw a distraught Yuri looking at herself in the mirror.

“Sooyoung-ah!” she whined. “Look at me. I’m ugly!”

“You…you look normal except for your swollen lip. What the hell did she hit you with?”

“Her stupid phone!”

Sooyoung made a mental note not to make Tiffany angry ever. She saw the wrecked phone at the corner of the room. “Wow! The phone broke into pieces when it collided with your lips?”

“No, of course not! I threw it against the wall and it smashed into pieces.”

Tiffany’s not gonna be happy hearing that. Just the other day, Tiffany talked about how much she loved that phone. She bought it with her own savings and she’s not much of the I’ll-save-my-allowance kind of girl so that’s a big accomplishment.

“I will not apologize to her. She should be the one doing that,” Yuri said while gently tapping her swollen lip.

“Yuri-ah, last night we agreed that you would apologize to her.”

“Look at what she’s done! I look like…I look like a freakin’ platypus! Besides, this is all your fault. If you didn’t do those sweet things to her then she wouldn’t have spazzed about it and I wouldn’t have snapped at her! This is your fault, Soo.” 

“Sure, blame everything on me. I should also be blamed for Sunny, Hyo, Sica and Taeyeon’s issue with their height. That’s why they’re short, right? I was controlling their pituitary gland, right?” she gave Yuri a blank stare and continued, “The point is you could’ve been more patient and more understanding.”

“You’re clearly siding with her, Soo.”

“I’m not,” she quickly denied. “Whatever. Just apologize and stick to your word, Kwon Yuri and why didn’t you take an ibuprofen, dummy.”

“You were talking to me the whole night and you didn’t tell me to take some! I hate you, Soo. I hate you and that witch!”


---


During breakfast, everyone noticed Yuri’s swollen lip. Who wouldn’t? You could probably see it from a mile.

“What happened to your lip, Yuri-unnie?” Seohyun asked while nudging Yoona. The latter was still sleepy and Seohyun didn’t want her to fall asleep and end up getting her face planted on the food Yuri prepared.

“Fany pulled a ‘Naomi Campbell’ on…KwonGelina Yuri, here, last night. That’s why she switched rooms with me.”

“You two fought again?” Sunny asked while giggling.

“My sister threw her phone and hit your lip? Never knew Tiffany could be that violent,” Jessica said.

“You should put some ice over it, unnie,” Seohyun said still nudging Yoona.

Yoona looked at her with sleepy eyes and took her right hand. “I’m awake so stop doing that.”

“I wouldn’t be able to eat if you’re going to hold my hand, Yoong,” she said and let go of Yoona’s hand.

“But—“ Before Yoona could even whine about it, Seohyun grabbed Yoona’s hand with her left hand then placed their intertwined hands on her lap.

“Yah! I said stop it with the PDA,” Jessica said. She was sitting across them and it really doesn’t take a genius to figure out that the two are being mushy.

“Stop bugging the maknaes, Jessie. You’re just jealous,” Tiffany said as soon as she entered the dining room.

Jessica gave her a blank stare and after a few seconds, she covered her head with both hands and said, “Please don’t hit me with a phone.”

Everyone laughed but the laugh immediately died down when Tiffany shot them a glare. She sat down and Yuri stood up. She scoffed thinking that her roommate didn’t want to eat with her but she was surprised when Yuri came back and placed a plate of strawberry crepe in front of her.

Yuri sat back in her chair and continued eating while occasionally dabbing an ice pack on her swollen lip. She was looking down the whole time and didn’t see Tiffany’s glances. 


---


Yuri and Tiffany are in their first class which is Grammar and Communication. Their professor gave them a sheet of paper. In it were eight messily drawn boxes with adjectives written on each box.

“Sorry about the lines. I…” she cleared , “My assistant drew them and she at it so…yeah. Anyways, what we’re going to do today is to make your classmates sign on a box they would fit into. Mr. Siwon Choi, don’t take it too literally. I saw how you smiled and of course, your classmates would not fit in those boxes. There are words there like ‘Beautiful’, ‘Charming’, ‘Cocky’…I’m not saying you guys should make Siwon sign on that box but if you want to then go ahead and no, Mr. Choi, you cannot change it into ‘Overconfident’.”

After Professor Isak told them the instructions, everyone except their foreign classmate stood up. She remembered a short and dorky girl from her class, Culinary 101, told her that when she stands up, almost everyone looked like they were peanuts especially her. Yes, the short and dorky girl was none other than Taeyeon.

Tiffany’s almost done with her work. One box left. There were eight boxes and there are eight of them in that class. The only person who hasn’t signed on her paper yet is Yuri.

She looked at Yuri and saw that the latter was also staring at her. 

Tiffany approached her and said, “Can you please sign here.” She pointed her finger at the box that was labelled ‘Charming’.

Yuri stifled her giggle. “Please sign here, too.” She pointed at the box labelled ‘Beautiful’.

“You think I’m beautiful, huh?” Tiffany asked while signing Yuri’s paper. 

“I told the foreigner to sign there but I guess she didn’t hear what I said so she signed on another box,” she smiled letting Tiffany know that she meant it as a joke. She really does think Tiffany is pretty. 

“I’m sorry,” Tiffany said and gave the paper back to Yuri.

Yuri shook her head and said, “Let’s just forget about it.”

“Does it still hurt?” Tiffany asked and gently touched Yuri’s bottom lip.

“It’ll hurt if you continue doing that,” she teasingly said and backed away. “By the way, your phone…I kind of…I accidentally…well, I threw it against the wall. It was out of anger,” she stuttered.

“Yeah, I saw its cadaver when I entered our room.”

Cadaver? She’s saying it like it’s a living thing.

“I’ll just buy you a new one,” Yuri offered.

“But that had a sentimental value. It’s the first phone I bought with my own money.”

“If I give you a phone, won’t it have the same sentimental value? If I give you one, that’d be the first phone that I’d buy with my own money and the first phone I’d give to someone.”

Tiffany thought about it, “Fine but it has to be pink.”

“Of course, it has to be pink,” Yuri stated like it was some sort of rule that cannot be broken.

“Excuse me. Are we ruining your moment?” Professor Isak asked rhetorically. “Please take a seat and we’ll talk about the activity I just gave you guys.