Chapter 14: Discombobulate

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

Taeyeon gulped. She didn’t know exactly why she did that. It’s one of those ‘spur of the moment’ things. She also blames Jessica’s stupid logic. The moment Jessica said she pushed her for no reason, the first thing that came to her mind was what Jessica said yesterday, For no reason, you’re going to hug me for no reason so it’s only fair that I get to do anything to you for no reason, as well.

She stared at Jessica’s eyes. She has to save herself from possibly getting beat up senselessly by Jessica. She MUST!

“You pushed me for no reason so it’s only fair that I get to kiss you…for no reason, as well,” she copied Jessica’s words and mustered every ounce of conviction she had in her then put it into her words. She turned around and walked away, missing the blush creeping up on Jessica’s face. What the did I just do?

“We saw what you did there,” Sunny taunted Taeyeon right after she recovered from the shock she received from Taeyeon’s move.

“Shut it,” Taeyeon muttered.

Hyoyeon and Sunny continued sniggering. Seohyun and Yoona have also recovered from what happened and continued their talk. 

Tiffany tapped her sister’s and said, “’Sup sis?”

Jessica glared at her but didn’t utter a single word.

Yuri came out of the kitchen carrying a tray full of glasses filled with smoothie. “We only had strawberries left in the fridge. Sooyoung ate the other fruits we bought. Either we go to the grocery tomorrow or put a duct tape on Sooyoung’s mouth. But I bet that wouldn’t stop her from devouring every food she sees.”

“I doubt that would work, too,” Hyoyeon seconded.

Sooyoung pouted and stood up to get a glass of smoothie after Yuri placed it on the coffee table. She quickly took a sip but noticed that there were only seven glasses left.

Tiffany sat down beside Sooyoung and pouted cutely. “Stupid yuri,” she mumbled.

“Yuri-ah, why didn’t you make one for Fany?” Soooyung asked.

“She has to say sorry for breaking her promise,” Yuri answered.

“Forget it. I’m not going to say sorry. I didn’t do anything wrong. I didn’t break my promise to you. I didn’t even make a promise.”

Sooyoung contemplated on giving her smoothie to Tiffany but it was already half-empty. It was amazing how she didn’t get any brain freeze. She decided to just make Tiffany a smoothie. How hard could it be, get a fruit, cubes of ice, add milk then blend it. Easy peezy. Wrong. Sooyoung forgot to put the lid of the blender back on so… SPLAT! She made another one and carefully placed the lid on the blender.

After a few minutes of struggling on making a smoothie, she got out of the kitchen and handed the glass of smoothie to Tiffany. 

Tiffany gladly took it and stuck her tongue out at Yuri. “Thanks, Soo.”

Sooyoung just smiled blissfully and sat next to Hyoyeon.

“Why don’t you just walk up to her and tell her your undying love for her,” Hyoyeon whispered to Sooyoung’s ear.

“I can’t just do that. Are you crazy?”

“Wimp.”

When everyone finished consuming their smoothie, Seohyun and Yoona volunteered to clean up the mess in the kitchen yet again. 

“Jessie, stop looking at Taeyeon like you’re going to murder her,” Tiffany said. She pulled Jessica and they went upstairs.

The sisters went inside YoonSicTae’s room and locked the door.

“Jessie, I think Sooyoung likes me,” Tiffany said with a serious face.

“Oh my god, you are so full of yourself, Tiff. Just because she does nice things for you doesn’t mean she’s head over heels for you,” Jessica retorted.

“I’m serious, Jessie. I would know when a person likes me. They have that glint in their eyes everytime they look at me.”

“Do you even hear yourself right now? You’re talking ridiculous and you sound so conceited. Why are you thinking highly of yourself?”

“I have poor choice of words but seriously I think she likes me,” Tiffany said as she paced back and forth. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Why are you getting all worked up about this? Aren’t you supposed to be happy someone likes you despite your attitude?” 

“You don’t understand, this is Sooyoung we’re talking about, she’s our friend. I know that look in her eyes and…Look, Jessie, when I look at a person I would immediately know whether I like to go out with them or I just want to be their friend. Sooyoung falls on the latter.”

“Good luck telling her that, then. How’d you even know that she likes you that way?”

“You’re too slow and too oblivious,” Tiffany answered. “You don’t even know that you’re roommate, Taeyeon, likes you,” she added in a hushed tone.

“What was that?”

“Nothing,” she walked away but turned around to say a few things to Jessica. “Jess, please be nice to Taeyeon. Just give her a chance.”

“What do you mean?”

“You shouldn’t be mad at her…ALL the time.”

“I think I have a valid reason to be mad at her now. She kissed me!!” Jessica exclaimed.

Tiffany chuckled, “You pushed her and her reason’s valid. What she did was justifiable. It’s your fault for putting that ridiculous idea in her head. Besides, you should be grateful. You told her something that makes no sense at all and yet she remembered it. Do you know how many people would kill just to have someone like that? Someone who would listen to their every word and actually take time to remember it,” she paused and looked at her sister’s eyes. It was full of questions and confusion, as expected from Jessica Jung, “Taengoo is a really nice person, Jessie. Try to know her more. She’s not that annoying.”

Jessica thought about what her sister said and grinned, “You like Taeyeon, don’t you?”

“What?! No! Geez, you’re slow! I don’t like Taeyeon that way. I like her…like I like you…do you get it? I like her as a sister,” Tiffany explained.

“Oh God, please no. I wouldn’t want a sister like that.”

“Not your sister, dummy. She’d make a good sister in law,” she mumbled.

“What?”

“I said, why not? She’d be a great addition to our family. I’ve always wanted to be related to someone who could cook. A professional chef would even be better,” she smiled.

“Then go marry Yuri or something.” It was Jessica’s turn to mumble but when Tiffany asked her what she said, someone knocked on the door. Tiffany opened the door and Taeyeon came in.

“Hi, Fany” she greeted Tiffany with a forced smile. The latter smiled back and whispered something to the shorter girl’s ear.

“Word of advice, Taengoo. Don’t try to kiss her again. Not until you guys are an official couple,” she said and winked at the shock-ridden face. She went out and left Taeyeon alone with the fuming Jessica.

“Sica, listen, I—“

Jessica cut her off, “I swear if you do that again I will punch you in your left cheek, discombobulate you,” she walked towards Taeyeon and continued, “and once you’re dazed,” she was now closer to Taeyeon, “I will give you a body shot, weaken your right jaw and fracture it.”

She was now standing right in front of Taeyeon, “I will break your cracked ribs, traumatize your solar plexus, dislocate your jaw entirely and send a heel kick to your diaphragm,” she pointed to where the diaphragm is located and when Taeyeon looked down, she hit the latter’s nose with her index finger lightly. 

“In summary, my ears would be ringing, my jaw would be fractured, three ribs would be cracked, four would be broken, diaphragm hemorrhaging, physical recovery, six weeks…full psychological recovery, six months,” Taeyeon said, completing Jessica’s threat.

Jessica smirked, “Impressive little Sherlock.”

“I’ve watched that movie about a hundred times,” Taeyeon said. You could still tell by her expression that she’s nervous. Whether it’s because of the distance between them, which is no more than two inches or because of Jessica’s copied threat…no one will ever know.

“I might have copied what RDJ said in that movie but I assure you that I would be able to execute that so don’t EVER pull something like that to me again. You got that.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Yes. I got it. I’m really really sorry, Sica.”

“Who gave you the permission to call me, Sica?” Jessica asked her with a brow raised.

“Uh…so—“

“It’s fine. I was just kidding. My sister said I should be nice to you and because I love my sister, I’ll do what she said…I’ll try. Don’t expect too much though,” Jessica said then made her way to the bathroom.

She didn’t kill me and she said she’ll try to be nice. Taeyeon couldn’t stop smiling and spazzing on what Jessica said. She sat on her bed then frowned when she remembered something. How in the world did Tiffany find out? SUNNY! HYOYEON!


---


Tiffany temporarily forgot about her dilemma when she saw Yuri sprawled on the couch. She sat down on the couch’s arm rest. “Hi Ma…my dear Yul,” she smiled awkwardly. She already had a mental note that she wouldn’t call Yuri with that nickname anymore but it’s difficult not to. She’s already gotten used to it even if it’s only been a day.

“I hate you,” Yuri said giving her the evil eye.

“Oh, come on, Yul,” she sighed. “Fine. I’m sorry. There I said it. Are we okay now?”

“You have to mean it,” Yuri answered her, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I’m sorry for calling you ‘manyul’. I really am sorry, Yul,” she said. She used her not so secret and overused weapon. Her puppy eyes. It never fails. Maybe Yuri is an exception but she still has to try. “Please, forgive me.”

“Stop doing that and I’ll reconsider.”

“You are so hard to please!” Tiffany pouted. Through her peripheral vision she saw Sooyoung laughing with Sunny and Hyoyeon. She looked back at Yuri. 

“Do you find me attractive, Yul?” Tiffany asked Yuri bluntly.

“What? Why?” Why the hell is she asking me that?

“Please don’t answer me with another question. Do you find me attractive?” she asked again.

“No,” she lied. She does find her attractive. She has never seen anyone with such adorable eye smiles but she refuses to praise the geek.

Tiffany nodded, “Sooyoung finds me attractive. I think she likes me.”

How the heck did she find out? It’s funny how Yuri and Taeyeon thought about the same thing at the exact same time. 

“You are so conceited. Just be—“

“Just because she does nice things for me doesn’t mean she likes me…Yeah, yeah, yeah. Jessie already said that,” she looked at Sooyoung then back at Yuri. “Do you believe in love at first sight?”

Yuri doesn’t have to think twice about her answer, “No.”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s superficial. You fall in love with someone you saw for the first time? That means you fell in love with their face, with how they look like. That’s not falling in love.”

“Have you ever been in love? You are taking it too literally. Love at first sight is when you…when there’s this unexplainable thing pulling you towards that person. It doesn’t have to be their cute smile or tantalizing eyes. There’s this…magic.”

Yuri made a disgusted face, “That is so cheesy. Magic? Is that what you felt when you saw Yunho? Well, we can say that that didn’t end well.”

Tiffany glared at her, “First of all, do not mention his name in front of me. He might be my first love but—“

“First love? How sure are you that what you felt for that guy is ‘Love’. For all you know it could be a simple crush.”

Before another fight escalates between them, they heard Sooyoung shouting. 

“Shinyoung-unnie’s here.”

The two went to the front door and saw Shinyoung carrying grocery bags. 

“Good evening, kids. I have good news,” she paused and waited until all eyes are on her, “I’m gonna be your house mom!!”

“WHAT!?” everyone shouted.

“Shinyoung-unnie, please take it back before I faint,” Taeyeon said.

Shinyoung laughed, “Yeah, I was just kidding. I just like being here. I feel younger. I brought DVD’s.”

“Wow, really? Let’s see if unnie has a copy of that movie Sunny was talking about. ‘I Love You, Jessica’,” Tiffany said then looked at the duo knowingly.