Chapter 50: Stuck

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

What the hell was that? What the hell was I thinking?

Is she serious?

Tiffany continued staring and so did Yuri. The older girl waited for a response but nothing came. Different thoughts came rushing to her head. Yuri doesn’t and will never feel the same way. Yuri’s upset and might be thinking that she broke up with Sooyoung because of her which is partially true. Yuri feels the same but is too shocked to say something. That last thought immediately got shoved at the back of her mind.

She waited a bit more but there’s really nothing. She cleared and mumbled something gibberish before standing up and going inside.

Yuri felt going dry. She wasn’t sure if it was all a dream or Tiffany was just pulling some weird, not to mention a very cruel, prank at her. She stood up and slowly made her way upstairs, to their bedroom. When she got there, she just stood in front of the door not knowing whether to come in or not.

She’s finally made her decision. She was going to march in their room and talk about it with Tiffany. You can do this, Yuri-ah.

“Fany, I…”

She stopped and looked around the room but Fany wasn’t there.

“I’m in love with you, too,” she whispered.


---


What in the world was that? Tiffany, how can you be so stupid? You just got out of a relationship where you hurt someone really nice and someone who valued you so much and now you’re out there, causing another trouble?

I sat down the stool after pacing back and forth inside our kitchen. I didn’t know what exactly I was thinking back there. What was I expecting her to say? That she loved me too? She clearly doesn’t. I mean, it’s obvious that she likes Krystal and she’s probably falling for her too.

How could I have been so stupid? How can I face her now? Should I say I was just kidding? She might think I’m insane though.

I flinched a little when I saw Ms. Thor jumping around and playing with her ball of yarn that I got her the other day. I smiled a little and momentarily forgot about my recent display of stupidity. Seeing this munchkin play around is like seeing my step sister all hyped up and jumping up and down the bed. Both of them mostly spend their time being lethargic.

I stood up, hid her little toy and picked her up to pet her.

“What should I do, Ms. Thor?” Great. I’m asking a cat for advice. “I’m so confused. I wish I was a cat and my only problem would be…basically nothing. You’re lucky to have an easy life, Ms. Thor.”

My mind decided to think about Yuri again.

“You know what else you’re lucky to have, Ms. Thor? Yuri as your owner.” I nodded and smiled. “She gets to pet you and touch you and…”

Oh my god! Dirty thoughts, dirty thoughts. I take that back. Aah!

“Unnie?”

I turned my head to the direction of the voice and saw Seohyun looking at me weirdly.

“Fany-unnie, are you okay?”

“Yes! I’m fine! Totally!” Okay, that came out a little too high pitched and a lot louder than I expected.

She smiled awkwardly at me before putting the plastic bag that she was carrying on top of the kitchen counter.

“Seohyunnie, what’s that?”

“Sweet potatoes. Yoona was asking for it earlier. I was going to cook some so we can snack on it while watching a movie.”

“I see.”

I hesitated to ask her my next question but what the heck, I’ve showcased my idiocy plenty times, might as well reach my quota for today.

“Do you think Soo is okay? We talk but she’s all smiles all the time and I’m not sure if she’s really fine or…”

She turned around to face me and I could tell immediately that she’s uncertain on what to say.

“Well, yesterday night when only the four of us were here, me, Sunny-unnie, Soooyung-unnie and Hyo-unnie…something happened. I don’t know if it happened often while we’re having our two-week break but…I don’t think she’s totally gotten over you.” She scratched the back of her head and ducked her head down.

Flashback

Seohyun hauled her bags inside the room that she’s sharing with Sooyoung. She just got back from her short visit to her parents’ house in the states. She spent about four days at Yoona’s house and the remainder of the break at her parents’.

She was welcomed with the sound of a track blasting from a speaker and a girl singing her heart out. It wasn’t perfect and it was out of tune half the time but what caught her attention the most was the pain resonating from every word that her roommate sang. Sooyoung didn’t seem to notice that someone was at the door.

“…out of my hands. To think for…eight months,” she chuckled bitterly, “she was here and I took her for granted I was so cavalier.” Her breath hitched but she still continued singing. 

Seohyun silently went inside, careful not to disturb her.

“Now the way that it stands…she’s out of my…” She broke out into a sob and Seohyun hurriedly went by her side and hugged her.

“Unnie…”

Somehow she understood what Sooyoung was going through. After all, she’s been in the same position. She’s also experienced crying her heart out whilst remembering the happy moments she’s shared with Yoona. Looking back at it now, she felt silly for all those times she cried especially now that, although she and Yoona are not officially back together, she knows that their love for each other won’t falter despite all the crap that life has to offer them.

She continued the back of the girl whose breathing hitched and was sobbing so badly, you’d think she’d pass out anytime soon.

“It still hurts, Seohyun-ah.”

She tried thinking of anything to say that would make her unnie feel a little better.

“It’ll get better, unnie. Think of your relationship with Fany-unnie like that anime…’Dragon Ball’.”

Sooyoung pulled away and wiped her tears away with the sleeves of her shirt. “Eh?”

Seohyun wasn’t exactly sure why she used Dragon Ball, it was the first thing that popped in her mind. “You had a good thing going but sometimes good things must come to an end. Just like ‘Dragon Ball’. If it was dragged on for too long then it might not have been that good anymore…just like your relationship with Fany-unnie.” She paused and waited for a response but there was none. “Baby steps, unnie. You don’t need to force yourself to immediately get over it. Just make sure you don’t…self-destruct.”

Sooyoung continued sobbing but her ears perked up at what Seohyun said next.

“Do you want an ice cream, unnie?”

Face still stained with tears, she nodded vigorously.

Seohyun ended her story and I felt like the biggest douche on earth again.

“She’s trying to act like she’s fine whenever you’re there but when you’re not there, that’s when she shows her vulnerability. She’s trying hard to move on.”

“She’s not smoking again, is she?”

She shook her head and said with a small smile, “The amount of food she eats has doubled though. I think it’s her new stress reliever.”

“That’s not healthy either.”

“Either that or we all die of second hand smoking, Fany-unnie.”

The kid has a point.

“Hyunnie.”

We both heard Yoona whining from the living room.

“Your choding is calling.”

She left the kitchen and once again I’m alone with this little munchkin on my lap playing with a loose strand on my shirt.

I sighed before putting her down and giving her the yarn back but instead of playing with it again, she walked towards someone’s foot and circled around it. I looked up and it was Yuri staring at me.

“Hey,” she said.

“Hi.”

“Can we talk?”

“Sure.”


---


“Why did you have to be in a group with him?” Taeyeon asked as she plopped herself on Jessica’s bed.

“The professor assigned our groupings. I didn’t have a choice. Why is it even such a big deal?” her girlfriend asked, patting her head.

“I don’t like him.”

“Can I know why?”

“He obviously has a thing for you,” she said as she lay on her back.

Jessica raised a brow. “He doesn’t and what have I told you before? I’m yours so no need to be jealous. You’re my Taengoo.” She playfully sat on Taeyeon’s tummy which earned a grunt from the smaller girl but the expression on her face quickly did a hundred and eighty and she was now grinning like an idiot.

She put her hands on Jessica’s waist and said, “I like this. I could definitely live with this.”

“Byuntae!” Jessica pouted and hit Taeyeon’s forehead.

“I didn’t even do anything,” she said still grinning but her grin soon turned into a serious expression. “Sica?”

“Hmm?”

Jessica was still sitting comfortably on her girlfriend’s tummy, lazily looking at her nails.

“You are…aware that someday we…” she paused thinking of what words to use, “we’ll have to do the hanky panky, right?”

Jessica gasped. She wasn’t sure if it’s because they’re talking about “it” or the fact that Taeyeon referred to “it” as the hanky panky.

“My god, Taeyeon,” she got off her tummy and lay beside her girlfriend, trying to cover the blush creeping up her face. “You really had to use that term?”

“What? I thought that was the term people use to make it less awkward to talk about it.”

Jessica turned her back at Taeyeon. “It certainly isn’t.”

“Should I have used ion then? Or maybe ?”

She covered her face in embarrassment even though it’s only her and Taeyeon inside the room. “Sheesh! Stop making it more awkward.”

Taeyeon pouted. “I’m sorry.”

They kept quiet for a couple of minutes. Both of them not knowing what to say and how to salvage the conversation.

Jessica slowly shifted and put an arm around Taeyeon’s waist before burying her face in her neck for the blush was still there and she didn’t want the older girl seeing her blush. Knownng Taeyeon, she’d about it non-stop.

Taeyeon, on the other hand, the blonde’s hair and decided to just continue their already awkward discussion.

“So…as I was saying, you are aware that we’ll have to do that someday, right? I mean, I’m not going to force you to do it but I…” She was stuck and didn’t know what to say next.

Jessica was silently thanking her bringing this up. She just couldn’t imagine herself being the first one to mention this.

She was, after all, just a girl. She gets curious too and right now, she was intrigued as to how they’re going to talk about this.

“Well, I am curious but I don’t want that to be my reason to do it with you. I’m sure you don’t want that, too, right?”

Taeyeon nodded.

“Taeng,” Jessica whispered, “have you done it before?”

“Well…there’s this one time.”

The blonde sat up and stared at the other girl. “With whom?”

Taeyeon only talked about her former girlfriends when she’s asked to talk about them. The two of them have talked about it twice. First, when Jessica asked about how many girlfriends Taeyeon has had, she answered two. Then, when she was asked why it didn’t work out. She joked and said Nana was too tall for her and Suzy was too pretty and it made her insecure. Jessica didn’t ask more because she didn’t want to pry.

“Nana and I almost did it once.”

“What do you mean by ‘almost’?”

“I…do you want me to describe what we did or…”

“No! Oh god, no. Never mind. So why didn’t you do it?”

She sat up as well and chuckled. “I never thought I’d be talking about this with my current girlfriend.”

“Are you expecting to talk about it with Shinyoung-unnie or Jieun-unnie?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “Well, anyways, I chickened out. I was a nervous wreck and all.”

Jessica didn’t react instantly. Moments later, she broke out in a laughing fit.

“Yah, it’s not funny.”

“I’m sorry. I was just imagining how you looked. You must’ve been so cute.” She saw Taeyeon pouting so she hit her arm lightly. “Don’t take it the wrong way. I just genuinely think that you must’ve looked so cute.”

“You’re laughing at my misfortune.”

“I’m not,” Jessica said, still giggling. She pulled Taeyeon for a hug and gently her back. “If you think about it, it is quite fortunate that you didn’t do it with her.”

She pulled away from the hug and cupped Taeyeon’s left cheek.

Understanding very well what Jessica meant, Taeyeon wiped the pout out of her face and placed a kiss on her girlfriend’s nose. “I’m falling in love with you more and more.”

“Taeyeon-unnie, that is so cheesy.”

She turned around to look at the girl who was lying in a foetal position, clutching her stomach.

“When the heck did you get here?”

“I’m a ninj—“ She cut herself off when she suddenly passed gas.

“Yoong, gross!”

“Whatever, unnie. This is what happens when I eat sweet potatoes. I finished eating about three even before the movie started and now I can’t stop passing gas. We weren’t even halfway through the movie and it’s not like you guys have never passed gas EVER.”

“Such a beautiful face, such a smelly fart,” Taeyeon muttered, shaking her head.


---


Tiffany and Yuri opted to walk around the campus while talking although there’s not really much ‘talking’, only awkward silence.

Tiffany couldn’t take it anymore so she spoke up. “Listen, about what I said earlier…”

Please, don’t take it back.

“…I’m not really sure about it but I do feel that I am in love with you. Then again, maybe it’s just me being impulsive once again and blowing up what I feel and…I don’t know.”

“Well,” Yuri stopped walking and mumbled, “I’m sure I’m in love with you.”

Tiffany stared at her, jaw on the floor, eyes wide open and her brain seemed to be lagging for she answered, “I’m not Krystal.”

Yuri squinted her eyes and said, “I know.”

“So…you’re really…in love with me?”

Yuri nodded and immediately looked away.

“Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“You and Soo were still together. I’m not even sure why I’m saying it right now. I feel like I’m backstabbing Soo.”

“Oh.” She then remembered what Seohyun told her and she felt guilty again.

“I guess we’re stuck.”

“We certainly are.”