Chapter 1: Entrée

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

A seventeen year old girl with long black hair fumbled with her keys while trying to open the door, “Ugh biometrics people, ever heard of it?” she muttered.

Once she got in she went straight to the room assigned to her. 17A.

She gathered all her things and put it inside the room. She plopped herself on the bed and quickly fell asleep.



---



Several minutes after the black haired girl entered the room, a blonde haired one arrived. She went inside her room and did an ocular inspection. 17B.

She fetched her mobile phone from the back pocket of her jeans and opened it.

1 New Voicemail. Dad.

She opened the voicemail and made sure it’s inches away from her ears.

Jessica, where are you?! You said you’d call as soon as you arrive. You’re supposed to arrive at around 2 pm. It’s already 2:30. You bette—

She quickly dialled her dad’s number. As expected, her dad was frantic. She’s an only child of a Math professor and a lady officer in the Navy.

Jessica Jung, her first love, a scientific calculator. She would go berserk if she lost her favourite one, which was given to her by her mom before she passed away. She loves Math. Analysing problems and computing for numbers is what she was born to do. She probably got that from her dad. She doesn’t like being bothered when she’s doing something that involves her favourite subject. If you bug her, consider yourself dead. You’re definitely a goner. She has that death glare that you wouldn’t want to be in the receiving end of. If you think Medusa’s stare is deadly, think again because hers are much more powerful, it could make you want to kill yourself. Okay, okay, I’m exaggerating.


Her mom passed away when she was only nine years old. Her dad remarried three years ago. She was fourteen years old, then. Her dad had a thing for women in uniforms so he married another lady officer, this time, from the Air Force. They met at a deli near the university where Mr. Jung teaches. They fell in love and after a year, got married.

The woman was a widow. Her husband was killed in action. She has a daughter.

Surprisingly, Jessica and her stepsister get along pretty well. They argue once in a while just like any other siblings would but they click. They even decided to go to the same university.

Jessica chose to take up Accountancy and her stepsister being the computer geek, will be taking up Software Engineering.

Being the sleepyhead that she is and considering the fact that it’s been a tiring day with all the orientation and stuff, she decided to take a short nap.
 


---
 


The two girls that are currently sleeping in their designated rooms in were woken up by the loud banging on the door. Both of them got up and opened the door to their rooms. They were both surprised to see each other. They weren’t expecting to be housemates.

“Jessie?!” the black haired one said with a big smile on her face.

“Tiffany!” Jessica said, “I knew we would be studying in the same school but having you as a housemate? Now that’s a surprise.”

Tiffany Hwang, daughter of the lady officer that Mr. Jung married. If Jessica’s first love is the calculator, hers would be the computer… Well not really, her first love was a guy named Jung Yunho but enough about that for now. She’s a tech savvy. She MUST and she WILL have her hands on the latest gadgets out in the market, heck, even if it’s not out she’d find a way to get it. She knows her way with computers. Java, C++, Python, Cobol… name any programming language, she probably knows it. Writing scripts, commands on a computer, is her expertise.

But if you think she’s the geek who doesn’t have a life, who’s never attended any parties and who doesn’t know how to drink. You better think again, my friend. She might be a computer genius but she spells trouble. Tiffany Hwang, the player who could beat your sorry little a** on World of Warcraft and who could rip your hearts in bits of pieces. She’s an expert in sugar coating her words unlike her stepsister who is rather blunt.

The two hugged each other tightly. It’s as if they don’t see each other every day but in fact, they just ate breakfast together. Before they went to school, they agreed not to tell each other which house they’d be staying at. They wanted it to be some sort of “surprise”.

“Too bad we’re not in the same room, though,” Tiffany said, armed with her puppy eyes pout combo.

“That’s fine. To be honest, I’m kind of getting fed up seeing your face all the time especially that… expression of yours,” she said with a smirk.

Tiffany pouted some more, “Whatever, I could still keep an eye on you.”

“What do you mean ‘keep an eye on me’? I SHOULD KEEP AN EYE ON YOU! I always get in trouble because of you. Remember that time when you told your ex-girlfriend, Kahi—“

Tiffany cut her off, “We weren’t even a couple so technically—“

“Shush! You told her you had ten days to live! I had to pretend that you’re dead when I was in front of my dad and your mom, you idiot.”

“Those are the good times,” Tiffany said dreamily.

Jessica was supposed to give her a whack on the head when they heard another loud knock on their door.

“We should get that!” Tiffany exclaimed with a grin, relieved that she gets to get away with her stepsister’s wrath.

They went downstairs to answer the door. They looked at the peep hole and saw a childlike girl smiling and waving at them.

“Is that one of those cookie-selling girl scouts?” Jessica asked.