The first & The last

Story Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The First & Last

 

 

I sat down on the couch as I took a sipped of my coffee. It was raining out there and I got simply nothing to do today, as it was Sunday. As I skipped through the channel, I stopped at a teenage drama where there was a guy who was confessing to his lover. I smiled at the scene where the guy was leaning for a kiss. Somehow it reminded me of my very first kiss back then in school.

 

Well, my first kiss happened on a fine Saturday evening. I was 14 years old. That day, my cousin unnie, Tiffany unnie asked me to accompany her to her friend, well actually her beloved girlfriend birthday party. As much as I said no, she still insisted and at the end I was dragged to Taeyeon unnie’s place. Her parent was away on a business trip. Thus, she held a small party where she invited her close friends to come.

 

 

 

 

-Flashback -

 

 

“Let’s play a game!”

 

“What game?” Jessica raised her brows at her prankster girlfriend who was grinning goofily at her.

 

“7 minutes in heaven.”

 

 

What? Seven minutes in heaven? Oh God. No… I’m too innocent for this.

 

 

“Seobaby. U can be exempted.”

 

“What?? Oh, come on. That’s so not fun!” Yuri whined once she heard what Tiffany said.

 

“Yuri-ah. She’s still too young for this.” Taeyeon tried to defend her girlfriend.

 

“We are just one year apart. Come on! Sooner or later, she’ll get to this too. It’s a good thing that she learns it from us. Plus, it’s Taeyeon birthday. Let’s just have some fun!”

 

I was fidgeting in my seat as I listened to them. Somehow, I felt guilty as I looked at the disappointment in Yuri unnie’s face. I don’t want to be the party pooper.Plus, how bad can it be? I’m with my unnies and well, uh, that quiet girl who is Yuri unnie’s cousin.

 

“I—I’ll play.”

 

Everyone was looking at me once I said that. Tiffany unnie quickly held my arm.

 

“You don’t have to, Seohyun-ah.”

 

“It’s okay unnie. I’m okay with it.” I tried to give her my best smile.

 

“Cool!! Okay, I’ll prepare the name now! Woohoo~ So excited!”  Yuri was already jumping excitedly.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“Next is…” Yuri excitedly took the bowl that contained the papers which had their name on it. She smiled cheekily at Taeyeon and Tiffany who had just got off from their 7 minutes of heaven. Tiffany was still blushing madly while Taeyeon tried to act nonchalantly despite her redden face.

 

“Yah, Kim Taeyeon. You were really in heaven just now huh?” She teased the short girl.

 

“YAH! Shut up!”

 

Yuri laughed heartedly as she pulled out a piece of paper. Her face brightened immediately as she read the name. “My lovely, Jessica.” Then, she pulled out another paper as her heart was jumping excitedly, wishing that her name was written there. Yet, once she opened it, her face darkened. She was hesitated in calling the name out.

 

“Who is it?” Tiffany urged the tanned girl.

 

“Tae—Taeyeon.”

 

All of them were a bit surprised except Jessica who nodded coolly. Taeyeon glanced at the girl beside her, worried that the girl might get upset. However, Tiffany just smiled at her.

 

“I’m okay.” She said before giving a soft peck on her lips. “Just don’t overdoing whatever you plan to do.” She gave her eyes smile to the short girl. Although her eye smile were extremely charming, yet, her words sound sharp. She gulped down as she stood up and waited for Jessica.

 

“Yah, shorty! You better not do anything funny with my girl!!”

 

Taeyeon stuck her tongue out at the tanned girl. “Well, I can do ANYTHING right?” She replied with and evil smile on her face. It was pay back time for all the teasing that Yuri did just now.

 

“YAH!!” Before Yuri could burst out, Taeyeon quickly pulled Jessica hand and both of them locked themselves in the room.

 

“Stop laughing, Miyoung-ah~” She pouted.

 

“It’s you who suggest this game, Yul! You should have seen this coming.”

 

The tanned girl slumped on the couch whit her arms crossed. The next 7 minutes was killing her as she waited patiently.

 

 

~~~~~

 

“Okay, this would be the last pair.”

 

“Why? Can’t stand the possibility of Jessica with one of us again??”

 

Taeyeon teased the girl who just came out from her precious 7 minutes with Jessica. The girl was smiling ear to ear once she got out from the room with their hand intertwined with each other. It was totally different back then when she quickly rushed towards Jessica when Taeyeon and Jessica were out from the room. She kept on asking what did Taeyeon do and so on. The girl was extremely anxious. Well, of course she wouldn’t be betraying Yuri by kissing Jessica. During those 7 minutes, Taeyeon and Jessica were having fun chatting about their partner to each other.

 

“Shut up, Taeng!”

 

“Oh~ maybe another time for me and Jessica again~”

 

“Or maybe me and Tiffany?”

 

Taeyeon shot a death glare to Yuri who was smirking at her. “Hell no.”

 

“We’ll see.” She read the first name. “Oh! It’s Seohyun!”

 

I sat up straight as I heard my name. I was a bit relieved when Yuri unnie said that this would be the last round. I thought I could escape this but somehow, I didn’t. Well, at least they were my unnies and I’m sure they wouldn’t do anything funny to me.

 

But, I’m just worried about this girl who was sitting quietly, playing her PSP. She’s Yuri unnie’s cousin and apparently she’s my schoolmate too. But, we never talk before since both of us are totally opposite each other. Being a cousin to one of the famous girl in school, I’ve been garnered with lot of attention too. Boys and girls try to get my attention whenever I walked into the school with Tiffany unnie. Besides that, I’m also the top student in my class.

 

 On the other hand, this girl is a nobody at school despite being Yuri unnie’s cousin. In fact, not many knew that these two girls were cousin. Unlike Yuri unnie who was popular as the captain of the basketball team, this girl was no where to be found. There are times where I accidentally saw her sitting alone by herself, playing her PSP. She looked like a dork with her large glasses on her small face. I don’t think she has any friend accept Yuri unnie. She—

 

“Wah..guess what? It’s maknae time!”

 

WHAT?? I felt like my eyes had just popped out when I heard that. Me and—and that girl?? I’m so doom.

 

“Awww…so cute! Mine and your cousin. They look so cute together.”

 

I could hear Tiffany unnie squealing as I took my heavy step towards the room.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hi.” I replied without lifting my head. I could feel the nervousness in her voice when she greeted me just now.

 

“Well—we don’t have to do anything.”

 

“….”

 

“We could just sit and wait till the time end.”

 

I stayed silent. It was damn awkward to stay in a room with someone who you barely know. I glanced at the girl and was surprised to see her playing with her PSP. Oh, how dare she do that? Didn’t she know that she’s in a room with me? The popular girl in school. She should at least show some respect. How dare she just ignore me!

 

“Yah!”

 

“Huh?” She paused her game as she looked at me.

 

“How dare you ignore me?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Stop huh-ing!”

 

“What do you want me to do?”

 

“Well—I—we..ugh!” I don’t know what to answer. What do I want us to do?

 

“See? Nothing right?” She continued back on her game.

 

“Ugh! So rude!!”

 

“Its not like you’re going to kiss me. You wouldn’t dare to.” She mumbled without looking at me. The way she said it really triggered me.

 

My temper was high up to another level where I stared furiously at her. Did she just insult me by looking down on me? This is Seo Juhyun! How could she even use the word dare to me! She-fine. I’ll show her!

 

“Why are you looking at me like th—“

 

 

One.

 

Two.

 

Three.

 

There! Huh, now she’ll kno—Oh, crap! What did I do just now?

 

 

I quickly cupped my mouth as I stared at the dumbfounded girl in front of me. “I—I…”

 

Both of us were loss of words as we kept staring at each other. Even I, myself, was surprised with my action. Seo Joohyun kissed a girl. Me! The calm perfectionist and famous girl, kissed this dorky girl. Gosh!

 

“Do—Done! We are done!” I quickly shouted out before storming out of the room.

 

“Well, that’s quite fast.”

 

I glanced at Jessica who commented. “Ye-yeah…”

 

“Yoong! You score didn’t you?! Way to go lil’ cousin!!”

 

I turned around and saw the redden face dorky girl being strangled by Yuri unnie who was really excited.

 

“Well done too. Never thought you would do that.” Tiffany unnie winked at me.

 

Ugh, I hate myself!

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“Urm… hey. Hi.”

 

“Hi.”

 

I replied while putting my stuffs into the locker hastily. Our lockers were next to each other. I could feel that she was staring at me but I chose to ignore it. After done putting my stuffs, I turned around and walked away without giving a look at her. But, I did catch her words before I took my steps.

 

“See you again, Hyun.”

 

Hyun? Did she just call me Hyun? What—Who--…..Well, it—it sound nice. Wait—ughh! Stop thinking about her.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

I took the paper bag from Tiffany unnie. She just got back from her date with Taeyeon unnie.

 

“What is this?”

 

“It’s from Yoona.”

 

“Huh?” I looked at her incredulously

 

“We bumped into her and Yuri at the mall. Before parted, she asks me to give this to you.”

 

I slowly nodded my head as I opened and took a look at the thing inside the paper bag. My eyes went wide open as I saw the cute green stuffed toy inside it. I excitedly took it out.

 

“Huh? What’s that?”

 

“It’s Keroro!!”

 

“Awww…so sweet of her. Well, Joo Hyun-ah, I think you got yourself a new admirer.”

 

My jaw was hanged opened when I heard that. “What?? NO!”

 

She laughed after looking at my reaction. “Why not?? She’s such a nice girl, you know. I had lot of fun hanging out with her. Maybe you should go out with her sometime.”

 

“Ugh! Never!”

 

“Well, you never know Seohyun. She might be the one.” She smirked before walking away

 

“Huh? The one? Ugh…no way.” I looked at the greeny toy in my hand. Somehow, it made me smile. “…what is going on with me...”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“She is??”

 

Taeyeon unnie kept on munching the potato chip as she nodded her head. “How can you not know that? Aren’t you two in the same class?”

 

“Only in Arts.”

 

“Well, still.”                      

 

I ignored the couple as my mind wandered off. I was still pretty shocked with the news. I never know that she was going to Canada this week. Although we were in the same class, I never actually talked to her except when it was really necessary. Her table was beside me, on the same row.

 

“You can still meet her and say your good bye.”

 

I heard Jessica unnie talking to me.

 

“Wh—why should I?”

 

“Seohyun-ah...”

 

“I—I got class. Bye unnies!” I quickly gathered my things and stood up before Tiffany unnie managed to finish her words. I bid my good bye and I could see the disappointments in their eyes.

 

Seo JooHyun, why is it hard for you to admit that they were right?

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

2 months had already passed. 2 horrible months for me. I don’t know what was wrong with me. I just kept looking at the empty seat where she used to sit. Maybe I was just wondering who would be taking her place. But, even after Sunye took that place, I still stare at the seat. Why?

 

What’s wrong with me?

 

I didn’t meet her on her last day in school. I didn’t even text her good bye on the day she departed to Canada.

 

Why didn’t I?

 

Well, now I could say it. I was an idiotic. I judged people by how they looked.

 

I was too stupid and arrogant to admit that my heart was taken by that dorky girl. And now, I’ve lost her.

 

Stupid me.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

-5 years later-

 

“Tiffany unnie, I’m going to campus now.”

 

“Okay dear. Enjoy your day. Oh, be back before 10 okay. Ugh, Jessie! It’s my turn now~!”

 

I chuckled as I watched Tiffany unnie and Jessica unnie wrestling down on floor, trying to get the remote control. Well, the three of us were staying in the same apartment since we were attending at the same college. Both of them were taking major in business & fashion while I’m taking the arts & literature.

 

Oh, how about the girls’s girlfriends? Surprisingly, both of the couples were still going strong. Of course there were some hiccups here and there during this past few years but I’m so amazed by their relationship. And obviously, they would be staying here too. But currently, Yuri and Taeyeon unnie were away due to their internship in Paris. It has been few months since they went there.

 

Hm, somehow my mind wondered to the doe eyes girl who stole my first kiss back then. What was she up to now? I’ve heard that she was still in Canada pursuing her study in McGill University. That was what I heard from Yuri unnie.

 

Sighed.

 

Somehow, I miss that girl.

And I’m still regret for my ignorance towards her back then.

How I wished that I could take it back…

 

~~~~~

 

“Seo Juhyun!!”

 

I turned around to look at my friend who was approaching me with a huge grin on her face. She seemed excited. What could possibly made her smiling like that early in the morning?

 

“Hey, Nicole. Morning. What’s up with you?”

 

She tried to catch her breath. Well, she was running down the hall just now.

 

“Seohyun-ah, there’s a new exchange student in our class!!”

 

I frowned. “New exchange student? How did you know? We didn’t even start—“

 

“I peep at the student council office just now. I overheard what they said.  Hehe…” She grinned goofily while scratching her head.

 

Well, that’s my bestfriend, Nicole. She’s like the living radio in our class. We get every latest update regarding the campus hot gossip, news, anything from our deary Nicole.

 

‘She’s really gorgeous I must say!”

 

“Huh?”

 

“The exchange student. She’s really cute, beautiful….oh, I can’t get my eyes off her.” She said dreamily.

 

I slapped her shoulder.

 

“Yah! That’s hurt.”

 

“Serves you right. Need I remind you that you already have a beautiful girlfriend named Hara?”

 

She grinned at me while making a peace sign with her finger. “Joking. Of course my eyes is on my beloved Hara.”

 

Sighed. She’s such a dork.

Just like…

Her.

 

I shook my head as I tried to get the thought of her off my head. Soon, Both of us headed to our classroom.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“Okay class. Today we have a new exchange student…”

 

I was busy taking down some noted from the whiteboard as Mrs. Park talked. I didn’t bother to listen since Nicole already told me about the new exchange student. But, as soon as I looked up, my eyes were stuck on the girl who walked into the room. She seemed like an angel. She stood in front of the class and introduce her self. However, my mind was blank. It felt like the world was totally off. I couldn’t hear anything accept my own heart beat. And my eyes…I couldn’t take my eyes off her.

 

She seemed familiar.

Really…really familiar…

Her small face.

Her lovely soothing voice…

And of course…

Those charming round doe eyes…

But, but…it can’t be her…right?

This girl in front of me was breathtaking…totally 360 degree opposite of the girl that took my first kiss..

How can it be her?

 

Who is she?

Why did my heart beating like this?

 

“Okay, you can sit beside our class president, Seohyun.”

 

That was what I heard before I watched her walked towards me. She bowed and smiled at me. I did the same to her.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hi.”

 

Awkward.

Seohyun, say something!

 

What should I say??

 

Anything!

 

Anything??

 

Her name! Ask her name??

 

Wouldn’t it be weird to ask her name when she just introduced her self??

She might think that I was deaf! Or dumb!!

 

Although, my hand was scribbling things on my noted pad and my eyes were on Mrs. Park who was giving her lecture, I was actually debating with myself.

 

“Hey…”

 

I turned my head around to look at her. “Yes?”

 

“You were my first kiss, right?”

 

OH.

MY.

GOD.

 

 

~~~~~

 

“Im Yoona!!”

 

“Kwon Yuri!!!”

 

“Don’t you dare to join them, midget!” Tiffany glared at her girlfriend who pouted as she sat down beside her. She looked at the two dorky girls who were shouting at each other. How she wished that she could join them.

 

“Prepare to die, flounder!!!”

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter