I Want To Run Away

How Far Will We Go

Aiden didn't know where he was headed. He just went where his feet led him. He was numb. He felt nothing. No pain.

Jessica crushed his heart. What to do now? She played with him. Was it wrong for him to want her to play with him some more? Because he deserved it?

He ended back at his house. His mom was shocked to see her son. And in this state.

"Son? Why aren't you at school? You're all wet!" His mom dragged him inside and made him change his clothes.

After the change, he laid on his bed. The place where he imagined dating Jessica Jung. The school president. The most beautiful. The most intelligent. The most fascinating being to him.

He wanted to forget her. Forget the pain she inflicted, not once, but twice on him. Could he forget? Could he get her out of his heart forever? Why did he love her so much. Why was his heart so full of Jessica? Why couldn't he find a nice, simple girl to date. Why did only he get hurt?

"Noona." Aiden whispered. "I..."

His dad came in. He sat at the edge of his son's bed. "Aiden."

"Yes dad?" Aiden replied monotone.

"Did something happen at school?"

"No." He lied.

"Then why are you here?" His father probed.

"Can I not visit my parents?"

"You have school tomorrow." His father said.

"I'm on a break." Aiden lied again.

"Was it a girl?" His father accepted that once Aiden closed his eyes with a grimace.

"She."

"It's all right. There are more fish in the sea. You just caught a flounder. You can find a shark, a better catch."

"Dad."

"Hmm?"

"Send me to America to Victoria noona." He closed his eyes.

"We shall talk in the morning. You don't seem to be thinking stable."

"I am." Aiden scowls, trying to keep the tears inside.

"Sleep. We'll speak more in depth tomorrow."

That night, Aiden dreamt of his experience with Jessica. Her laughter. Her smile. Even in his dreams, did Jessica follow.

He woke up in a startle. His hands gripped the bed sheets tightly. His shoulders relaxed when he realized it was the neighborhood dogs barking.

Aiden sat up and rubbed his eyes. What time was it now?

He looked around for his digital clock. It was 10 am. His history class would commence in half an hour.

Stretching his limbs, Aiden went downstairs. He yawned as he made his way.

His mom was cooking pancakes, his father reading the daily news.

"Hi." Aiden sat down at the table.

"You better get ready." His mom hands him a plate. "School should start soon."

"I'm not going today." Aiden sliced a chunk of pancake, chewing slowly to savor the taste.

His father peeked at him from the top of the newspaper. "Were you serious about yesterday?"

Aiden nods, looking down. "I'm tired of living as a foreigner. I want to go home."

"You are home." His mother corrected.

"Home in LA." Aiden set his chopsticks down. "I want to spend a couple years in America.

"Is this for school or your personal benefit?"

"School. Half the things I learn, I don't understand."

"I thought you liked your new school. Isn't Jessica attending that school too?"

Aiden gave his mom a small nod.

His father could tell almost immediately. That girl was the problem.

"Jessica? That girl who lived next door?" His father asked.

"She is very pretty and good to people. And I heard she was number 1 in the entire school." His mother elbowed her husband. "Think about what the bright possibilities could be if Aiden married her."

Aiden winced at the end of the sentence. "She's just a... noona."

"So? Snag her fast." His mom encouraged. "Girls like that are one in a lifetime."

"Honey." His father started. "Let Aiden finish his breakfast. He doesn't want a pep talk from anyone about his love life."

"Thanks. Dad." Aiden smiled. His father nodded in full understanding.

"If you really want to return to America, there is a condition." His father said softly. "Tell her that you're leaving."

Aiden froze.

"That's the best way to mend both of your hearts." He father returned to his paper.

He got up and headed to his room to change. Aiden was going to walk around, pack his things from the dorm and ask for a transfer to a university in America.

On his way out, he saw his parents embrace. Their faces were happy. They were like a high school couple on their two month anniversary.

I wish I could be like them, he thought bitterly.

Stepping out into the porch, he noticed a familiar black haired girl. He was relieved that he felt no sharp pain or longing for her

He shoved his hands into his pocket.

Krystal looked up at him, with a small smile. "Hey."

"Why aren't you at school?" He walked up to her.

"I didn't want to see Amber." She said tentatively. "And I wanted to apologize."

"You've said sorry way too many times." He assured. "I'm fine."

"Those were informal." She bowed ninety degrees. "I'm sorry I wasn't a faithful girlfriend. And I'm sorry I gave up our two years just for a... insecure moment."

"It's fine." He patted her head. "I always viewed you more as a friend. So we are even."

"Have you told Jessica? About your feelings."

He nodded.

"Have you decided to date her officially?" Krystal looked at her hands.

"I think she gave up on me." He began to walk.

"Why?"

"Because... I don't know. Girls are confusing." Aiden rustles his hair. "One second your crying with happiness, the next your shooting daggers at me."

"That's because of what you said." Krystal jabbed his arm with her index finger. "If Jessica acted like that around you, you must have said something she didn't like, or something that hurt her."

"What would that be?"

"I don't know... me?" She gave him a tip. Hopefully he would read it.

"What about you."

Krystal rolled her eyes. "Did you talk about me around her?"

"Plenty of times. She didn't seemed to be angry." Aiden shrugged. "It doesn't matter. By the end of the week, I'll be lounging in America."

"Ehh?" Krystal frowned. "You're going back to America?"

"Yeah. Maybe for a year or two." Or forever. He gave her a sideways glance. "I miss my cousin, Vic."

"The good cook." Krystal nodded. "I remember you telling me about her."

"She's the best." Aiden agreed.

"Better than J-"

"Don't bring her name out." Aiden urged.

Krystal nodded. "Are you going to tell her?"

He stared at the passing cars for what seemed like a minute. His answer was short and almost inaudible. "No."

She smacked his head. "Why would you say no?"

He clutched his head. "What was that for?"

"You are such a coward!" She kicked him in the thigh. "You weren't like this when we were dating too."

"So what?"

"Why won't you tell her? You like her, possibly even love."

"This is different." He murmured.

"How?"

"She makes me feel vulnerable. And I hate that." He replies. "Plus she hates me."

"Wow. This is not the Aiden I know and loved." Krystal shook her head in disapproval.

"Good." He crossed the street, leaving Krystal behind. She didn't follow.

Aiden was different. Different from the kind and friendly guy she knew. She could tell that his heart was recovering the the recent tornado that swept him.

She should tell Jessica. Even if that girl hates her.