The Past Two Years

Choose Me, Taeyeon-ah

Five years ago, at Sulli’s funeral..

The ceremony has ended but Taeyeon is still crouching blankly looking at her daughter’s grave. She refuses anyone that come closer to her or tried to comfort her. She didn’t cry, she didn’t speak, she didn’t responds to anyone, even Yoona. Jessica cries her heart out, blaming herself because although she isn’t the reason Sulli died, her father did. The group accept the fact that Krystal, Jessica, and Mrs. Jung are innocent but Taeyeon thought otherwise. She close herself from the world. The group look at Taeyeon from afar with a sad gaze.

“This is my fault.” Jessica sobs. Yuri hugs Jessica to comfort her. “No, Sica. We all know you are not. Even Taeyeon knows. She just needs someone to blame, that’s why she said that words.”

 

In the hospital, nearly after Sulli’s accident..

Taeyeon turns to the Jung’s and look at them coldly. “Go away. Don’t let me see your faces anymore. You all better pray hard I’ll never met you anymore because the next time we meet, that killer husband and father of yours will be died like my daughter.” She saw how hurt and sad Jessica and Krystal by her words but her sadness and hate blind her eyes.

She turns to Yoona, Yuri, and Seohyun without any expression and speaks flatly,” Three of you better go home too. I can take care of this on my own. No, I will take care this on my own. If you can, forget that you ever know me because the old Kim Taeyeon has died along with Kim Sulli.” Taeyeon then proceed to the room where Sulli’s body lies without waiting for their respons.

 

“But what if she was serious with her words? You know how protective she is to her daughter and my father killed her.” Jessica asks desperately.

“No, she won’t. She loves us. She loves us!” Yuri says trying to convince Jessica and herself. You are not serious, right Taeyeon?

Unfortunately Taeyeon is serious with her words. Losing Sulli makes Taeyeon’s dark sides appears. After the funeral, she leaves all of them and disappears without any trace. Even after Yoona, Jessica, and Yuri uses all their power, they still couldn’t find her. Two years after looking without result, the intensity on the investigation toned down and they start trying to moving on. Yoona and Seohyun settle down and planning on getting married, Yuri met a woman named Sunny that trying her best to mend Yuri’s broken heart, Krystal continue her education. Everyone starts building their life, everyone but Jessica.

Every single day she blames herself for the tragedy. The memory of Sulli thrown keep replied in her dreams, she cuts all ties with her father and investigating all his dirty secrets, hoping that if one day she could bring his father to face justice, Taeyeon will forgive her and accept her back.

 

Present time..

“Unnie, I’m coming in.” Krystal says after knocking on Jessica’s study room. She put the hot tea that she brought on the table and sighs when she looks at Jessica’s sleeping form. She looks at a photo frame that Jessica hugs to sleep and feels pang of sadness in her heart. It is a photo of all of them in Yoona’s mansion, smile pasted on their face and life is so happy back then. Krystal then trails her eyes to the papers that scatter all around the table. It contains their father’s criminal investigation.

“Will you ever forgive our father, Unnie?” Krystal whispers. She just found her family not long before the tragedy happened. She can’t help to yearn a whole and happy family although she knows that it is impossible. Not after what her father done. Suddenly Krystal feels so lonely. She drags a chair to Jessica’s side, sit on it, gently lifting Jessica’s arm then put it around her shoulder. She scoot closer to her Unnie and sleep the same way as her. Jessica’s warmth cures her loneliness so she smiles contently and closes her eyes.

When she hears Krystal steady breath, Jessica opens her eyes and looks at her sister sadly. She was awaken when Krystal put the cup down but pretending to sleep. Jessica Krystal’s hair lovingly and speak softly,” I’m sorry, Krystal. You lose your family right after you get it back. I’m really sorry but I can’t forgive him for what he had done. The only person that could stop me is Taenggoo but I’m very sure that she won’t stop me. I don’t even know if she would care.” Jessica chuckles sadly then continue bitterly,” After all, we are the one that made her suffer.”

----------------

Yuri looks down at a woman that clinging on her arm. Small smile appears unconsciously when she remembers how they first meet and the way Sunny creeps slowly into her heart.

Yuri sits on a bench in the secluded park after another day of no result investigation. Two years has passed and all of them start to losing hope. Yuri sit in this bench every night since Taeyeon gone but today is different. Today she is going to do just like Yoona suggest. Let this investigation go. She will let Taeyeon go and forget her. She doesn’t want to but she can’t handle this feeling anymore so she cries. Just for today, let me cry, Taeyeon-ah. She cries for the lost of Sulli, for her failure to protect her love ones, she cries for all her sadness the past two years.

Yuri covers her face with both of her hand, crying her heart out, oblivious to someone that watching her from afar. That someone is Sunny. Sunny discovered Yuri one year ago when she take a walk after exhausted work as a singer in a bar. That night, she has fallen in love on the first sight. Yuri looked so beautiful sitting under the moon that Sunny looked at her until she left. Seeing Yuri from afar brought her happiness and Sunny got a new purpose every day. Her life isn’t boring anymore.

Just like the past night, Sunny sit on her spot and wait for Yuri. She smiles giddily when she saw her but her smile disappeared when she sees how Yuri cries sadly. Sunny put her hand on her heart and clench it hard because her heart hurt just like Yuri. Yuri looks so small and vulnerable right now. Sunny can’t look at that sight anymore so she walk to Yuri and stands in front of her. She leans forward and hugs Yuri tightly. At first, Yuri stiffens but when Sunny pats her back gently and whisper comforting words, Yuri return the hug and continue to cry.

Yuri falls to deep in her mourn state so her usual instinct isn’t active at the moment. She is startled when someone hugs her. She cursed herself for being vulnerable but when she hears this woman’s voice, Yuri throws all cautious to the air and seek comfort from this stranger. She doesn’t care whether this woman is her enemy or not. All that she knows is that she needs this comfort even if this will bring her danger.

Later on when she has calmed, she broke the hug and chuckles shyly. “I’m sorry for hugging you.”

“No, don’t feel sorry. I’m the one that initiating the hug. You look so sad that it broke my heart.” The stranger says. Two of them don’t know what to say so there’s a silence for a moment until the stranger offer her hand to Yuri. “Hi, my name is Sunny.”

Yuri looks at the hand then at the stranger’s face. A very cute person with a bright smile welcomed her. Just looking at the smile, Yuri feels like her heart getting lighter. She shakes Sunny’s hand and says,” Hi, Sunny. I’m Yuri.”

“Hmm.. Yuri, a beautiful name for a beautiful person like you.” Yuri blushed by the compliment then chuckles awkwardly. “Yuri-ssi, do you want to know a secret?”

Yuri looks at Sunny questioningly. This person is so strange. Why would she share a secret to a stranger? “Secret?”

Sunny nods her head excitingly. “I have fallen in love with you at the first sight and if you are single, I want to try to court you.”

Yuri’s eyes widen as saucer and screams,” What?!”