The best present

Second life

He couldnt answer, he couldnt even speak, all he could do was to lean and kiss Luhan, that was his answer. Everyone was cheering and tearing for the couple, the closest to them hugged them and congratulate them. And that was the end of the ceremony.

"Wow I didnt see that coming", Yixing said to his brother.

"I dont know why, because it was pretty obvious"

"If you are happy, Im happy"

"Im very happy"

-----------------

Kai was in the bathroom trying to calm. Why must he calm? Why was he upset in the first place? He is always known that he doesnt have a chance. Well maybe the reality check was to much.

Zelo was looking at the door that moments ago swollowed Kai. He was debating if should go or not, he decided not, maybe Kai needed to be alone. Maybe he didnt want to deal with Kai right now. He sighed, this had a tendency to become so dramatic sometimes that it exhausting. He drank the champagne that was nesting in his glass.

It was silly and over romantic but he felt Kais pain, he wanted to go to the bathroom and tell him that he was a good person, that he will find someone that loves him. Most of all he wishes that his love could be the answer to Kais pains. Its stupid and childish even.

Their ride back home, later that night, was silent and sad. The day after Kai would be leaving again and Zelo suspects that it would be for good. Or at least until the wedding because he was invited and was going to come no matter what. The lawyer wanted to say something usefull, something to change the others mood, like "You look beautifull in that outfit" or "Hyung shouldve chose you" or "Stop thinking about another person and love me!!". However Kais constant sighs made him regret everytime.

---------------------

When they entered the appartment Kai went to the kitchen for a glass of water and said good night. Zelo was left there with out words. He made himself a tea and sat in the living room to drink it when the house phone rang. Kai heard from the room and he was about to fall sleep when he heard: "Hey hyung". Something made him get up and go to listen the conversation, maybe in hopes to hear that Xiumin was worried about him, that he still care?

"Mhmm yes...well he is a little down"

"No I havent. I think he wants to be alone"

"Ah? No, but I guess I know the answer to that already and he leaves tomorrow so..."

"Yeah..Im..fine, yes...I know that...anyway it was really innocent from me to think that someone like him would look at me"

"Ah? Because..well...have you seen him? Im sure he can have anyone he wants looking like that". Kai smiled sadly at the words, he cant have anyone he wants.

"Haha, thanks hyung...but it seems you are cuter than me. Also, you saved and changed his life, what do I got against that? hehe"

"What? No...hey Im a grown up man you know? Im really glad that he let me be his friend", Kai bit his lip in shame.

---------------------------------

This guy was perfect, perfect and he was in love with him, in love. He had say it to his face and, as Xiumin said, he has been waiting. So whats the problem? What was he so afraid of? Is not like they were going to get married tomorrow, all Zelo wanted was a chance to change their relationship status, from friends to something more and see where could they go from there. That didnt sound that bad.

Kai thought about that for a good portion of the night, he was even surprised that Xiumin and Luhans engagement wasnt killing his soul. Instead there was this list that only had pros in favor of Zelos "offert".

--------------------------

The morning found them both with awfull faces, but they laugh it off and decided that they would have breakfast at the airport. In the trip there Kai tried to talk more so it wasnt awkward again, and he did so his and Zelos mood became better. However he noticed that his friend was just making an effort to amuse him, he wasnt that joyfull and looked sad. Guilt washed over him again. On the other hand, Zelo was wondering if Kai was reallly THAT happy to leave and it made him think it was the end for real, he was worried because he didnt want to cry in front of Kai so he tried his best not to seem like the pathetic loser he was feeling like right now.

--------------------------

It was still early when they got to the airport, they packed the suitcase and went for breakfast. Kai was still smiling happly. Zelo sat on a booth on the cafeteria while Kai went for the order.

To the oldest was surprised, when Kai camback with the food, he sat by his side, not in front of him. That was odd. Not only that, but sat really close to him. Kai kept talking, eating and smiling as he remembered things about Lumin and the korean food that Chen prepared for him and all the things that changed in his absence, the things that didnt, the friends that he visited. Is not that Zelo didnt want to listen to him, actually he was making a really big concentration effort to listen and to remember every word, he relly felt like that this was going to be the last conversation that he was going to have with Kai for a long time.

"Am I boring you?", he chuckled.

"Ah? no, not at all", silence.

"So I wanted to talk about...", that hasitation, Zelo knew where he was going.

"Oh...its ok...we dont have to talk about anything...really", he said to his cup of coffee.

"Why not?"

"Becccause...is fine I know that you...Im really sorry that I putted you in such an awkward possition", silence.

"But I have things to say about that matter", did he? Zelo didnt mean to sigh.

"Ok", he brace himself.

"I just didnt want you to think that I didnt think about it", Zelo noded, he looked like he was having a really bad time. "And I wanted to say that Im sorry for being so engrossed in Xiumin...", its ok so far it sounds like what Zelo thought it would sound. "...I really regret that because I didnt see you"

"You cant chose who to love that way"

"I know...but I also know that there was a lot immadurity in those feelings, I mean, sometimes I think that I fell in love with the idea of a future that I would like to have with Xiumin, than with him himself, you know?", yeah he knows. "But you...I see you clearly. I see what you do for me, in reallity. I see that you care for me, I see the things that you do because you care for me...you are...more real than him...and so...I want to have a real love", he seemed to finish his speech.

"Ok?", Zelo wasnt understanding much. Kai chuckled a bit and then took his hand.

"With you", this time the nurse was serious.

"I...I dont need your pity", the lawyer retreat his hand, Kai looked offended. "Yesterday, yesterday, you were paining over their engagement, today you want...me? Im sorry but it sounds hard to believe", he sounded more offended than Kai.

"I know that yesterday I was stressed about their wedding...I know that I wanted to see Xiumin when I came here, but you are not listening to what Im saying: I said I thought about it", this looked more and more like the beggining of a fight.

"When? Last night? This morning?", well... "Listen, I love you, Im in love with you, not with the idea of you, with the actual you, but that doesnt mean that Im gonna let you play with my feelings, you have been doing so for the last seven months. It needs to stop, Im nobodys plan B", now he was mad, for real.

"No, you are not"

"Really? Im not? Youve been here a week, living in my house, yet you tell me this now. Why? Did come to test the waters with Xiumin and when you saw your last chance died you what? started to love me?", he shook his head. "Right now Kai, I dont need your love, I dont need your pity. All I need, right now, is your respect. Please dont do this". They fell into silence again and then Kai made a sound that cought Zelos attention again. Was he crying? "What...", Zelo asked as he touched the others arm, not understanding.

"Im sorry, its nothing...", Kai sobbed. "I was relly happy this morning be..because I finally...finally...", he was full on crying now.

"Dont, no please, calm down...Im sorry I didnt mean to sound that harsh...I", he handed some napkins to Kai.

"Is not your fault...is mine...because I was stupid and didnt tell you before...that I...I...Ive seen pictures of you with your friends on Weibo...and I dont like it....and I didnt dare to ask you who that guy with the plump lips was...he is in a lot of pictures....and I dont..ddont like him", what is he talking about.

"What?"

"And also...I didnt tell you that I..missed you when you didnt call me or text me that week...and that I...I decided to come earlier because I feared that...that you were...wwwith that guy and...but...when I came I remembered Xiumin and wanted to see him and yes the engagement surprised me...but thats only bbbecause my brain doenst work well!! But that doesnt mean that I dont love you...and yes I figure all this last night... and Im sorry because is late and you dont love me anymooooooooooreeeeeeeee". What? Zelo didnt know what the heck to say. First, God Kai was cute, even at 28. Second, what do you do when you finally get what you ever wanted?. Third, how to make him stop crying? He did the only logical thing he could: hug him.

"Shshshshshsh, its ok baby. Didnt you just hear what I said? I just said that I love you, that Im in love with you...even if you are crazy", he said and whiped the others tears. "Im sorry I made you cry. Im sorry", he kissed Kais forehead and to the nurses surprise, it felt right, like it was the right thing to do. To let this man kiss his forehead and hold him like this and let him whipe his tears and hide his face in the crock of his neck and also mend his broken heart.He calmed down, more so, he is at peace. "That guy is Dahyun and we are not anything, he is one of my best friends from college, so we hung out a lot. He is a good guy, you are gonna like him", Kai noded on his neck. "Do you feel better now?", another nod.

"Can we stay like this until I go?"

"Of course, we can do whatever you want".

-----------------------

The line to the plain was long so they stay last glue to eachother, people were giving them werd looks, but they didnt care.

"When my contract ends in Japan Im gonna comeback here"

"Or I can move there...In the organization they keep saying that the Japan version of us is not working"

"Really would you leave China?"

"I want to be with you, any country would be fine"

"So cheesy", Kai tighten his hold. The line finally ended, they had to say goodbye and they did it with a sweet kiss on the lips that left them wanting more.

"Ill see you in two weeks ok?"

"Ill miss you"

"I wont let you miss me", Zelo pecked his nose.

--------------------

He watched Kai dissapear on the gate with a huge smile. Everything was different from what he thought it would be this morning, but it was better, so much better. Now he has to call Luhan.