Chapter 35

I Have Been Blind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 35

 

“I’m… I’m breaking up with you.”

Tiffany remained still as she processed what came out of Taeyeon’s mouth. Her confused eyes met Taeyeon’s as if asking the latter to repeat her words.

Taeyeon was hesitant to speak. “I said-”

Tiffany raised her hand, gesturing to Taeyeon to leave her statement incomplete. “Okay.”

Taeyeon had already expected Tiffany to agree but she still felt that stab to the hilt when Tiffany didn’t protest or ask her reasons. Even though she was the one to initiate the break up, it still hurt her that Tiffany let her go so easy. Was she that worthless and burdensome to her?

She thought she was already immune to this pain. But the thought of being disposed like a trash by someone whom you loved with your everything crushed her from skin to the bones. Suddenly, she felt like every breath she took was poison. 

“You still have something to say? I have things to do.” Tiffany said like nothing happened, grabbing the folders she had put aside when Taeyeon came in.

Taeyeon was the first to shed tears but she managed to wipe them away with the back of her hand before they wet anything. “I-I’m sorry. I’m leaving now.”

With each heavy step, Taeyeon willed herself to not crumble into pieces as she headed to the door. Halfway to the exit, her lips began to tremble uncontrollably as she tried to hold in her tears, but a sniffle managed to escape her. 

Another one broke the pregnant silence in the room. 

And another one.

One more and Taeyeon knew her knees wouldn’t be able to support her anymore. 

And Taeyeon couldn’t help but pity herself again. She had already made up her mind but a little part of her wanted Tiffany to stop her, engulf her in her arms, and ask her to stay. It could be just a thought brought by this deplorable circumstance. Perhaps it was very stupid of her to break up with her girlfriend without ensuring the girl that caused her to do this felt the same way. 

She was starting to regret everything now. Maybe it wasn’t over yet. Maybe she could turn around, get on her knees, and take back everything she had said. Maybe Tiffany would forgive her like she always did. 

Taeyeon was very tempted by the idea. What if Jessica was just one of the trials in their relationship? What if she just wanted Tiffany to take care of her and make her feel loved like Jessica did?

It was all in her head. Nothing was coming out of but muffled cries and whimpers. 

It didn’t go unnoticed by Tiffany, who was busy pretending doing her paperwork. Her hand was gripping her pen tightly, like how her upper teeth bit her lower lip. Her eye makeup was already ruined by silent tears. 

She didn’t want Taeyeon to go. 

But she didn’t want to stop her.

When she wiped the tears that blurred her vision, Taeyeon was already gone.

 

+++

 

“She dumped me.” Yuri started when Taeyeon asked how she had been. So that’s why she had disappeared for weeks without saying anything. She was hurt. Which was hurt more though? Her heart or her pride? 

“Yeah. Jessica.” said Yuri with a bitter laugh as she unwrapped the take-outs on the dining table.

Taeyon gazed away at the mention of the girl’s name. “Sorry to hear that.”

Yuri scoffed as she stabbed a meatball tangled in red pasta with her fork. “I feel bad when people give me sympathy. What’s the score between you and Tiffany?”

Taeyeon’s reply came slow. After crying a river last night, she tried to convince herself that it was a good decision. “We broke up.”

Yuri looked up at Taeyeon who didn’t look too wrecked than she expected. Surprisingly. “Wow. Guess we’re lucky. Got dumped at the same time.”

Almost inaudibly, Taeyeon spoke, “I did it.”

Did Taeyeon just say she dumped Tiffany? The love of her life? “What?!”

Taeyeon just nodded curtly and ignored the red bits of sauce that flew in her face. Yuri had been a witness of the undying love she had for Tiffany so she understood why Yuri was so stunned by the information.

Incredulous, Yuri’s lips formed an ‘o’. “Why? I mean, you’re so crazy about her. It’s just, you know? Unbelievable. You always said you couldn’t live without her and now…”

Taeyeon didn’t know how and what to answer. She couldn’t just say that she fell for that someone who rejected her best friend. But Yuri was so smart when it came to these things, she would probably figure out soon-

“Did you find someone else?”

Taeyeon’s body tensed at the sudden question. Her brain told her to say something to defend herself before Yuri became more suspicious but she couldn’t gather coherent thoughts.

“I knew it.” Yuri eyed Taeyeon sharply when all she had was deafening silence in response.

“Is it her? Jessica?” assumed Yuri as she looked at Taeyeon straight into the eye. 

“Yuri…” Taeyeon began and faced Yuri with a guilty expression. She didn’t want to lie, especially to her best friend who had been always with her through thick and thin.

Yuri started to chuckle darkly when Taeyeon confirmed it wordlessly. “I knew it.”

“I’m sorry.” Taeyeon replied ruefully, head hung low. “I didn’t plan it. I promise I won’t go after her. Just-“

“No!”

“Yuri, I treasure our friendship!” Taeyeon left her seat to prove her point. 

Yuri stood up and slammed her palms against the table, making Taeyeon w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter