Chapter 31

I Have Been Blind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 31

 

“I think Jessica likes me too.”

Taeyeon paused the game and rested the controller on her right thigh. “She told you?”

“No. I just think so.” Yuri said. “Action speaks louder than words, right?”

Taeyeon chuckled and resumed her game. “More like wishful thinking.”

“It’s not!” Yuri defended. “Remember how she took care of me when we rode Han Express? She did it like she’s my girlfriend!”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. Didn’t Jessica treat her like that as well? And it happened more than once. Outside her job as a maid, Jessica took care of her when she got conked up as hell. However, she remembered Jessica telling her that she did it because Taecyeon asked her to. What if he gave her an extra payment to do so? But Jessica comforted her when Tiffany broke up with her. Oh right, she charged Taeyeon the hours she spent in her house too.

How about when she clumsily spilled her drink during the school festival? Jessica wasn’t assigned to their table, was she? But she still did it. While Taeyeon’s hopes were getting high, she recalled that Jessica only hugged her back because she enjoyed seeing Tiffany pissed though she didn’t express it directly.

Frustrated, Taeyeon grumbled internally. Those events certainly didn’t assure her if Jessica was genuinely concerned about her.

But…

“I care about you too.”

What was that supposed to mean? Did Jessica really mean it? Everyone says ‘action speaks louder than words’ but most of the time, Taeyeon rather preferred Jessica to speak than act. In fact, she could have asked Jessica herself. If only Jessica’s back hug didn’t render her mute and boneless.

If Yuri thought Jessica liked her because she showed she cared, perhaps, it’s safe to think the same way too, right? The thought never once crossed her mind before because she was too preoccupied by Tiffany. But did Jessica like her the way Yuri thought she did?

“Yah!” A slap on her shoulder interrupted her reverie. “So, what do you think?”

The unexpected contact made Taeyeon jump a bit. “About?”

“Damn, you weren’t listening were you?” Yuri clucked her tongue in chagrin. “I asked you if you think Jessica likes me.”

Taeyeon pondered for a while. “I don’t know.”

“Come on!”

“I really don’t know, Yul.” Taeyeon restated. “She’s hard to read. Besides, you’re the one who’s good at reading girls’ behavior.”

“I know, but like you said she’s hard to read.” Yuri sighed. “You’re lucky Tiffany isn’t like that.”

“Why?”

Yuri raised an eyebrow. “She’s like an open book. Can’t you tell? It’s easy to tell what she’s thinking.”

“Y-yeah.” Taeyeon just scratched the back of her head. Actually, she always found it hard to decipher what’s on Tiffany’s mind most of the time.

“What do you think? Should I just ask her straight?” Yuri asked her best buddy for an advice.

“Are you really serious about this? Aren’t you leaving soon?” Taeyeon evaded the question.

“I know. But I think I really like her, Taeng. Jessica’s one of a kind. I’ve never met someone like her before.” Yuri confessed, eyes truthful.

“Maybe you’re just feeling challenged? You’re used to capture women’s hearts in a heartbeat.” Taeyeon stated.

Yuri let out another frustrated sigh. “I’m not sure. But I’m telling you, it’s different.”

“Why don’t you go out and meet other girls? You know, just to find out. There are a bunch of beauties all over Seoul.” Taeyeon suggested.

Yuri was quiet for a second before she burst out laughing. To hear something like that from a one-woman (wo)man,  “Are you seriously giving me this kind of advice?”

A frown crossed the short girl’s face. “What’s so funny about it?”

“You make it sound you go around Seoul to hunt for beautiful faces while the truth is Tiffany is the only beauty in your eyes.”

“That’s not true!” Taeyeon almost automatically answered. “Jessica is very beautiful too!”
Yuri was surprised by Taeyeon’s statement and gave her a look. Taeyeon’s ears were burning red but the taller girl opted to not mention it.

When it dawned upon her, Taeyeon felt a bucket of embarrassment washed over her. Sure that Yuri would make fun of her, she tried to refute her statement but all she managed to do was stammer, “A-and, Sunny, my friend, she’s cute too. S-so are some of my classmates. And schoolmates. Y-yeah…”

Yuri cackled at the other girl’s behavior. “You’re acting weird lately, you know that? Are you on drugs or something?”

“Of course not! I’m just having a hard time dealing with your bull. As always.” Taeyeon defended.

Yuri snorted at Taeyeon’s lame excuse. “Yeah, whatever. I’ll take up on that idea of yours though. I’m bored and I wanna have fun outside.”

“Where are we going?”

“Uh, let’s see.” She put a finger under her chin. “I wanna visit Jessica’s workplace.”

“W-what?!”

Yuri pouted. “Am I not allowed?”

“She’s working and she can’t be disturbed.” Taeyeon replied, hiding the fact that they could request for Jessica to accompany them.

“Please? I heard they serve great food and drinks.” Yuri begged and clasped her hands together.

Taeyeon let out a defeated sigh. “Fine! But promise me you won’t do anything stupid, okay? I don’t want her to get mad at me.”  

“YESSSSSSS!” Yuri pumped her fist in the air. “Aren’t you asking Tiffany to come with us?”

Taeyeon shook her head and answered in a nonchalant voice. “She’s probably busy.”

Yuri shook her head in disapproval. “You should invite her. Seize as much as opportunity as you can to spend time with her. How are you gonna step up your relationship if you’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter