Chapter Fifty Five

In too deep

Hae woke up in the middle of the night. The first thing he saw was Hyuk's heart rate on the monitor. It was nice and steady just like his oxygen level and his blood pressure. He looked at his husband. Worry ruled his mind. He forced himself to think positive. The first thing he would do when Hyuk woke up was apologise for worrying him in the past. Now he knew how it felt to worry for someone's safety, now he realised what it has been like for Hyuk for years.

'You are so strong.' Hae whispered.

'Nah, he isn't.'

Hae's head snapped to the corner of the room. The dim light coming from the hallway gave him just enough of visibility to recognise Changmin.

'Hey.' Changmin said.

'Hi. What are you doing here?'

'I told that Kibum guy to sleep, I took over his shift.'

Hae frowned. 'Kibum wouldn't allow that.'

'Well...I kinda made him fall asleep.'

Hae tilted his head in confusion.

Changmin's features softened. 'You are cute.'

'Hyuk told me to not trust people that call me cute.'

'Yeah, he always was quite possessive.'

'How did you guys meet?' Hae asked carefully.

Changmin smirked. 'You mean, how did Hyuk end up with a friend from the underworld?'

Hae bit his lip and nodded.

'They saved me.' Changmin's eyes were unfocused as his mind went back to the past. 'I lived on the streets, I was the seventh child therefore my parents had no means to support me. So as soon as I could walk, I was basically on my own. Our neighbour, she was a nice old lady, took care of me until she died. I think I was about six at the time. Her children kicked me out and sold the appartment. I started to live on the streets.'

Hae unconsciously grabbed Deedee for support. He hated these kinds of stories.

'It was tough, you know.' Changmin continued. 'Dog eat dog kind of world out there. I got beaten up regularly, mostly for stealing but sometimes for fun. One day Hyuk and the others were playing nearby when I got shoved around by a bunch of teenagers. Although they are my age, Hyuk, Kyu and Siwon didn't hesitate, they just jumped in and defended me. Minho dragged me to the side and stood in front of me. He must have been four. They would have gotten their asses kicked if Kyu's mum hadn't intervened. She yelled at the teenagers and they ran away. Minho started crying so she tended to him while the other three stood around me. They questioned me. God, I remember Wonnie being very sceptical, so was Kyu, but Hyuk....' Changmin swallowed. 'Hyuk immediately decided to help me out. They started bringing me food and clothes that they sneaked out their houses. Sometimes, when the coast was clear, I slept over at their places. Kyu even tutored me.' Changmin smiled.

Hae was crying. 'How did you get that scar?'

'Mr. Choi gave it to me.' Changmin's smile faded. 'When Kyu and Hyuk fell out with Minho and Siwon it was bad. I kept contact with both sides since I had no reason to choose. One day I was sleeping in Wonnie's bed when I heard noises down stairs. His dad was hitting him again for no apparent reason. Minho was crying for him to stop. I couldn't stand it, I rushed down and tried to protect my friend.' Changmin traced the outline of the scar. 'It was worth it.' He smiled. 'The only reason I haven't gotten him killed yet is because he's their father.'

'I'm glad you guys are friends.' Hae said softly.

Changmin cocked up an eyebrow. 'Although I do a lot of bad stuff?'

Hae shrugged, unaware of how adorable it looked with Deedee pressed against his chest. 'I'm sure you know right from wrong.'

'What if I told you I have killed people.'

'I would assume they weren't that nice.'

Changmin chuckled, he got up and handed Hae a tissue. 'I like you, kid.' He said as he ruffled that messy hair.

Suddenly a hand lashed out and grabbed Changmin's wrist. 'Hands off.'

Hae rolled his eyes. 'Hyukkie, Changmin was just being nice, he.....Hyukkie!' Hae stared at his wide awake husband next to him.

Hyuk was still looking at Changmin.

'Welcome back to the world of the living, monkey.' The latter teased.

'Kyu?'

'He's fine. How do you feel?'

'Like I was shot. Breathing kinda hurts.' Hyuk said. He finally looked as his husband and his eyes melted. The boy was sobbing from happiness, Deedee was getting soaked. 'Aish, come here.' Hyuk spread his arms. Hae gently shoved a little bit closer. Hyuk grabbed Deedee and tossed him aside as he hugged his lover. 'Hey, stop crying, my love.'

'I was so scared.' Hae whispered.

'I'm sorry.'

'No, I'm sorry.' Hae said.

'Why?'

'For making you worry about me so much for so long.'

Hyuk kissed the tears away. 'I'll always worry about you.' He held the boy tight while his eyes met Changmin's. He saw the seriousness in them and knew they needed to talk but first things first. 'Changmin, I'm too exhausted now, can we do this in the morning?'

The latter nodded and walked to the door. 'I'll tell the others the good news.'

'Thanks.' Hyuk said.

'You should rest.' Hae carefully forced Hyuk to lie back. The older groaned in pain. 'Breathing will be difficult for a couple of more days.' Hae said.

Hyuk smiled as he saw Hae's concentrated face. 'Who needs air when I have you.'

Hae looked sternly at his husband but couldn't hide the blush that was spreading fast. 'You are horrible.'

'Hmmmm.' Hyuk said as he pulled Hae's face against his chest. They both stared at the ceiling wrapped up in each other, enjoying the silence and each other's presence.

When Heechul checked on them a couple of minutes later he found them asleep.