Chapter Twenty Four

In too deep

'Can't miss me for even a couple of hours, Hyukjae?' Heechul said teasingly.

'Help! Hae! Hospital! Help!' Hyuk uttered, completely panicking as he stared at Hae being wheeled into the hospital.

Heechul froze. 'I'll be right there.' He said, hung up and ran to his motorcycle, not taking the time to put on a helmet.

 

Heechul stormed into the emergency room. His eyes shifting all over the place until they caught a trembling and very pale Hyuk. He ran up to the man and grabbed him by the shoulders. 'How is he?'

'He fainted, he looked like a ghost!' Hyuk's voice was shaky and breaking up.

Heechul clenched his teeth, restraining himself from slapping Hyuk. 'Calm down, for 's sake. Start with the beginning.'

The story came in bits and pieces, Hyuk didn't even have to finish it. Suddenly Heechul's hands dropped from his shoulders. Hyuk looked up, confused. He noticed the older's empty look. He opened his mouth but didn't get the chance to continue. Heechul just screamed. He grabbed a garbage bin and threw it through the waiting room. Tears were running down his face as he kept yelling and cussing.

Kyu ran into the room, being the second one receiving a messed up message from his best friend. The nurses had already explained Hae's condition to him. He looked at a raging Heechul and a pale Hyuk and decided to be brave. He pulled Heechul against him and said firmly. 'He'll be fine, Mr. Kim. The nurses told me!'

Heechul went quiet immediately and then started sobbing. 'You don't understand.' He mumbled.

'Then make us understand.' Kyu said softly.

Hyuk was still in shock by what happened with Hae and Heechul's reaction.

'Hae had a brother.' Heechul said. 'Donghwa was only two years older than Hae. One day they were playing in the garden. They were play fighting. You know Hae's plushie? Donghwa had given that to him for his 5th birthday. Hae always took it with him, it was his treasure. That day, Hae was 9, his brother 11. Donghwa had taken Hae's plushie, teasing his brother that he was getting too old for it. Hae was trying to grab it back. They left the garden and neared the streetside. Suddenly a car appeared and seemed to target the two boys. Donghwa pushed Hae to safety and was killed immediately. If only I had been there...' Heechul broke down again.

'Did you find out who did it?' Hyuk said curtly.

'The guy committed suicide in his cell.'

'Donghae doesn't know about this, does he?' Kyu interrupted. 'He doesn't know it was a hit on him and his brother.'

'No.' Heechul answered.

Hyuk walked away after sending Kyu a death glare.

Kyu had to hold Heechul back. 'What kind of monster is he? Can't he show one human emotion?' Heechul screamed.

'Don't judge him. You don't know him.' Kyu said harshly then he sighed and ruffled his hair. 'Damn it, he's going to kill me for my bad intel.'

 

Kangin arrived within ten minutes.

'Did you find it?' Hyuk asked, his voice flat.

'Yes, sir, it was right where you told me it was.' Kangin said, lifting a bag.

Hyuk grabbed the bag, walked over to the restricted area, ignoring panicking nurses who yelled at him to not enter. He pushed the button and walked in. He speedwalked through the hall until he noticed Hae in a room. A doctor was softly talking to the boy but looked up when Hyuk walked in.

'Sir, you can't be here.'

'The hell I can't, I'm his husband.'

'Still, you'll have to wait outside.'

Hyuk ignored him and walked over to Hae. He pulled the plushie out of the bag and shoved it into the younger's arms. 'You should have told me, !' Hyuk said, his words contradicting the hopelessness in his eyes.

Hae's bottom lip started trembling as his eyes filled up with tears. He held the plushie tight. 'You didn't give it away.'

'You are lucky, I was going to do that tomorrow.' Hyuk lied. He turned to the doctor. 'Can he go home?'

'There is nothing physically wrong with him, so yes. But he'll need company tonight.'

'Sure. Hae, get dressed.' Hyuk said.

Hae was still clinging to his plushie.

Hyuk's eyes softened. 'Hae? Does he have a name?'

The younger wiped a tear away and nodded.

'Can you tell me?'

'Deedee.' Hae whispered.

'The first letter of you and your brother's name.' Hyuk said gently.

The tears were back.

'Heechul told me.' Hyuk said.

'It was my fault.'

'No it wasn't. That driver lost control.'

'But if I hadn't....'

Hyuk grabbed Hae's chin and made him look up. 'Your brother loved you. He wouldn't want you to blame yourself. He would want you to take care of Deedee and be happy.' He let go and started to grab Hae's stuff. Suddenly he felt two arms around him.

'Thank you, Hyukkie.' Hae whispered against his back.

'Get dressed, I'm taking you home.' Hyuk said after he shortly patted Hae's hands on his waist.