Chapter Fifty Two

In too deep

Dr. Jung rushed out her office and watched the scene. 'How is he?' She asked a paramedic curtly.

'He's been shot, the bullet seems to have pierced his lung but didn't hit his heart. He needs to be operated on quickly.'

Dr. Jung nodded and knelt in front Donghae. Heechul tensed up. 'Nurse Lee.' Dr. Jung said surprisingly soft.

Hae was too much in shock to respond so the doctor shook him.

'Donghae! Snap out of it. You are my best nurse. I'll need your help during the operation!'

Hae's gaze finally landed onto her face. 'What?'

'We won't let him die.' She said determined.

'Don't you hate him?' Heechul asked suspicious.

'I'm a doctor first.' Dr. Jung stated. 'I value life. Even the man's that took Donghae.'

'I misjudged you.' Heechul said before he turned to Hae. 'Hey, Hyuk needs you now, okay?'

Hae nodded and his medical knowledge kicked in as he followed Dr. Jung into the emergency room.

'What the happened?' Heechul cussed. 'Kibum, stand guard for Hae. I need to find out...'

A stretcher came rolling in with a lifeless Kyu on it. Heechul stared at him, his brain unable to process it.

'Sungmin! Emergency Room 2!' Dr. Oh yelled.

Heechul wanted to follow them into the room but Kangin stopped him. 'You can't go in there, they need to focus on their job.' Kangin said softly.

'Kyu!' Heechul screamed.

'An intruder took out several people including Hyuk's secretary, Mr. Cho and Hyuk himself.' Kangin said, holding Heechul back.

'A-any casualties?'

'Two dead coworkers, they were receptionists.'

'Who did this?'

'I cuffed the intruder, he killed himself with cyanide. The police are trying to identify him.'

'I knew we were missing something, we were so focused on Hae that...'

'It might be a diversion to get to Hae.' Kangin said. 'I called in reinforcements.'

'Can we trust them?'

'Yes, me and them, we go way back.'

'Ok, put one of them at Mr. Choi's room as well.'

 

'Kibum, are you listening in?'

'Yes, Kangin. Go ahead.'

Kangin looked at the three men in front of him: Leeteuk, Jonghyun and Yunho. 'The situation right now is critical. I was hired a long time ago by Mr. Lee Hyukjae to protect his husband Lee Donghae.' Kangin projected their pictures on the wall.  'Donghae is a nurse in this hospital and his brother was killed years ago in an attack on both of the brothers. We know Hyuk's father was the executioner but we don't know who had hired him. Earlier this month, Mr. Choi, a patient here, was attacked as well. Mr.Choi's two sons used to be friends with Hyuk. So this might all be connected. Today, Hyuk and some of his staff were attacked. ' Kangin showed the killer's face. 'He's been just identified as L.Joe aka Lee Byunghun. He's was known as a cold blooded mercenary.'

'Any know associations?' Kibum's voice sounded through the loudspeaker.

'None found yet. But the police ensured me they have their best men working on this case.'

'What do you want us to do?' Leeteuk asked.

'Yunho I want you to join Kibum to protect Donghae. I feel he is still the main goal. Leeteuk you can watch Hyuk with me and Jonghyun can watch Mr.Choi.'

 

'More suction and another clamp.' Dr. Jung said while a nurse dipped the sweat of her forehead.

Donghae was completely focused on the wound. His emotions were being shut out. He handed over another clamp and cleared away more blood. 'Another bag of O-?' He asked.

Dr. Jung looked at the dropping blood pressure and nodded. 'You are doing great, Donghae.'

Hae sent a nurse to the blood bank.

'I see the bullet.' The doctor said.

Hae quickly took over the scalpel and handed over another device so the doctor could start removing the bullet.

'He's damn lucky an inch lower and it would have hit his aorta.' The doctor mumbled as she quickly continued. The sound of the bullet hitting the tin recipient sounded through the room. 'Hae can you close him up, while I treat the pneumothorax?'

'Yes, doctor.'

Hae started closing the bigger blood vessels and burning the small ones to stop the bleeding. Then he continued to close the wound. Doctor Jung asked for a syringe and removed the excess air out of the thorax. She watched Hae sow up the wound, the boy finally started crying. Dr. Jung removed her cloves and took a clean cloth. She gently wiped the tears away. 'I never realised how much you loved him, I'm sorry, Donghae, I made it so hard for you.'

Hae looked up. 'He'll be okay, right?'

She nodded. 'He was very fortunate.' She turned around, wanting to check on the other injured men.

'Doctor?'

'Hmmm?'

'Thank you so much.' Hae whispered.

 

Minho stormed into the hospital. Siwon was following right behind him. Taemin was waiting for them.

'How is he?' Siwon said.

'The operation was succesful. He'll pull through.'

'And Kyu?' Minho asked.

'Dr. Oh is still operating on him, Dr. Jung is working on Onew. They are both critical.'

'How's Hae?' Minho inquired.

Taemin bit his lip. 'Barely coping. Kangin hired three new bodyguards. One of the is guarding your father.'

' him! He might be behind all this!' Siwon yelled.

'He got attacked himself though.' Minho retorted.

'That might be a set up.' Siwon huffed. 'Anyway, take me to Hyuk.'

'They won't let you through.' Taemin said softly but Siwon was already walking to the emergency. He stopped as he watched Hae through the glass door. The boy was crying near Hyuk's bed, intertwining their fingers, begging his husband to be alright. An alert sounded from the adjacent room and Siwon walked to it. He saw the doctors reanimate Kyu. Kangin was holding Heechul back as the man was throwing a fit, losing his mind in worry.

'Taemin.' Siwon snarled, his face pale.

'Sir.'

'Contact Changmin.'

'But he's working on the....'

'NOW! Tell him Kyu and Hyuk are hurt.'