Chapter Eighteen

In too deep

Hae was surrounded by the people he cared for the most. His smile was real. He could forget for one evening how complicated his life had become. When the waiters brought in the champagne, he locked eyes with Hyuk, who gave him a small nod, evoking a wide toothless smile from the younger.

'You should get an oscar.' Kyu mumbled towards Hyuk.

Hyuk lifted an eyebrow. 'And why is that?'

'For your husband of the year act.' Kyu said calmly.

'Are you upset with me?' Hyuk frowned.

'Why would I be? I'm not the one you are trying to fool.'

 

Hae was chewing on his delicious seafood when he spotted someone at the back of the restaurant. He suddenly dropped everything, shoved his chair back and ran.

Hyuk stood up in a reflex.

'Don't worry, Kibum is standing there.' Heechul said without even looking up.

'Amber?' Hae asked as he had reached the person.

A boyish girl looked up, her eyes widened and she hugged Hae tight. 'Bubbly Boy!!!!!'

'What the hell.' Min said, scratching his head, dropping his chopsticks in the process.

Kangin moved in and replaced them with new ones.

'Who is she?'

'Oh my, is that little Amber?' Mrs Lee squealed as she saw her son dragging the girl towards them.

'Who is Amber?' Hyuk turned to Kyu.

'Amber is Hae's first love.' Heechul said while he got up to hug the girl as well.

'What?' Hyuk frowned.

'No need to worry, Hyukjae.' Mr. Lee smiled. She was our neighbour until she moved to the States when she was 14, guess she's back.'

'Amber is back!' Hae yelled a little too loud.

'Yayyyy!!!' Kyu cheered and the quickly sat back down after Hyuk sent him a death glare.

'She's working here part time, the world is so small, what are the chances of us meeting again!' Hae said while he still hadn't let go of the girl.

Hyuk looked up and met the intense eyes of Heechul. He narrowed his eyes and leaned in towards Kyu. 'Who booked this place?'

'I did, why?' Kyu frowned.

'Who recommended it?'

'Heechul did. Isn't it to your liking?' Kyu asked confused but Hyuk wasn't listening anymore he was glaring back at a smirking Kim Heechul.

 

The rest of the evening revolved around Amber. Hae's puppy eyes had begged his husband to let her sit at the table. Seeing that his inlaws were there, Hyuk had no choice but to tell the owner of the restaurant they wanted Amber as their guest.

'Why do you call him "Bubbles" ? Kyu inquired.

'He's my bubbly boy, he's always in such a good mood. He makes everyone happy, like the bubbles in this champagne!' Amber said as she looked at Hae fondly.

'Were you ever gf and bf?' Min asked.

Amber smiled. 'We might be the same age, but Hae was clueless back then.'

'He still is.' Hyuk said curtly. He quickly smiled after it when he saw Mrs. Lee gaze on him.

'Your mask is cracking.' Heechul whispered.

'I'll deal with you later.' Hyuk hissed.

'I'm so scared.'

Min dropped his chopsticks for the tenth time. Kangin already had a new set ready.

'Maybe Kangin should just feed you.' Kyu mocked.

'Where is the fun in that? I'd rather see him bend over now and then.' Min grinned.

Kangin paled and then turned red within a flash. 'Kibum, let's switch.' He choked out.

Min pouted. 'Party pooper.'

Amber's eyes widened. 'Happy birthday!' She said and hugged him again. 'Twenty three! You should have a gf by now, right?'

Hyuk grabbed Hae's hand and showed the girl the wedding ring.

turned into an O, she cupped Hae's face, her eyes all misty. 'I'm so happy for you! Who is she? Why are you blushing like that?'

Hyuk cleared his throat, making Amber look at him and then he showed his own matching ring. To say the least, you could tell the girl was baffled.

'Ah well, seems I never was in the running.' She smiled.

'Welcome to that club!' Min cheered as lifted his glass, Kyu and Heechul joining in.

'Not funny!' Hyuk growled.

'Don't worry, mister. As long as you treat this boy right, I'll be your friend.' Amber said, her eyes all honest.

'And otherwise?' Heechul asked, amused.

The look in Amber's eyes hardened. 'I'd kill you.'

The entire table was silenced.

Amber smiled and hugged Hyuk. 'But I won't have to do that, right?'

Heechul couldn't stop laughing as he saw Hyuk's shocked face.

 

Hyuk had insisted to drive Hae home by himself. He saw the boy fighting sleep.

'Rest a bit.' Hyuk mumbled. 'I'll wake you up when we get home.'

'Thank you, Hyukkie. I loved tonight.'

'We still have 90 mins left, dear.' Hyuk said but Hae already drifted off.