Chapter One

In too deep

Donghae's beeper vibrated, he quickly glanced at the emergency call from room 201.

'I'll be back, Miss.' Hae bowed to the teenager he had been chatting with and hurried to the said room.

'Aish, mister, you've pulled your IV out again!' Hae said gently as he tried to calm the agitated man down. 'You know you can't do that!'

'And why the hell not!' The middle aged man cried out. 'I've been here for three weeks, no one visits, no one cares.' Tears welled up and streamed down the man's exhausted face.

Hae bit his lip. He couldn't argue there. 'Sir, please.' He pleaded softly.

The man looked into the younger's eyes and sighed. 'I'm sorry, Donghae. I must be a burden to you.'

'Not at all, sir. I just wish I could help.'

'It's my own fault, why should they visit anyway, it's not like I've been treating them well.' The man sobbed.

Hae had called the man's wife and children numerous times but apparently they were fed up with him. The man had forbidden him to mention the real cause of his hospitalisation. His family still thought it was because of the injuries he had gathered during another drunk driving event.

After talking to the man for another ten minutes he was allowed to put another IV in, allowing the chemo to do its work.

Hae went to the nurse station and was welcomed with a hug.

'Hey, you. Wasn't your shift over like two hours ago?'

'Hi Sungmin. You know I don't mind to stay a little longer.' Hae smiled to his friend.

'You are an angel. I heard Dr. Jung was being a true again.' Min sighed. 'If she knew who you really were, she'd be all over you.'

Hae just smiled. He knew why the doctor hated his guts. Rejection was not something a lot of people could deal with well.

'No one even knows you work for free.' Min continued. He shook his head.

They both had gone to school together and Sungmin was the only one who knew Hae was of noble blood. The boy had never bragged about his descent or about the money that came with it. If it wasn't for that one time when a limo had suddenly appeared near Min's house, dragging Hae home, Min still wouldn't have known. Donghae didn't act on his higher social status. He wore normal clothes, he rode a bike and spoke like every other young man. His parents loved him too much to burden him with the down side of having a title. They supported him in everything he did, knowing that their only child was kind and hard working. They objected to him being paid though, they spoke to the manager of the hospital and all parties agreed Hae's fee would go to a charity the hospital was endorsing.

 

'Hyuk, the Lees are here.' Kyuhyun informed his best friend.

'Hmmm, in seven minutes.' Hyuk mumbled.

Kyu frowned. 'You can't treat them like this.'

Hyuk looked up from the dozens of papers on his desk. 'Why is that?'

'They are noble people.'

'They are failures in my world.' Hyuk retorted coldly.

'Then why are you meeting them?' Kyu frowned once more. He usually could read him quite well but lately Hyukjae seemed even more distant than usual, more withdrawn. Kyu didn't like it one bit.

'Cause their well bred asses could be useful for once.' Hyuk sneered. 'Did you get that info I asked for?'

Kyu silently handed over the file.

Hyuk studied it with precision.

'Pictures are in the back.' Kyu stated.

'I don't care what he looks like.' Hyuk mumbled. 'If he's ugly, we'll go to a plastic surgeon to fix that.'

'What are you planning this time, Hyuk?'

Hyuk stood up, straightened his suit and smiled. 'Something big, my friend, something big.'

 

Hae left the hospital through the back entrance and smiled as he saw Heechul leaning against a tree.

'I guess it's useless to object?' Hae said.

Heechul lips curved to one side. 'You know better than that, young master.'

'Oh cut the crap out, hyung!'

'I'm merely your humble bodyguard, young master, it is not okay to refer to me as your hyung.' Something sparked in Heechul's eyes.

'I'm sorry I made you wait, Chullie.' Hae pouted, he knew the man too well, he always became formal when pissed off.

Heechul's glare softened and he ruffled the boy's hair. 'I already put your bike in the car, you are needed at home.'

Hae paled. 'What's wrong? You should have come in and found me!'

'Nothing life threatening, Hae Hae.'

'Stop treating me like a kid!'

'I've known you since you were eight.' Heechul mumbled.

'You are only ten years older, hyung!' Hae protested.

'Yes and you'll always be Hae Hae to me.' The elder smirked.

Donghae gave up. Heechul was in a foul mood for some reason and it was better not to mess with a cranky Kim Heechul.

 

'Mum, dad, what's up?' Hae was worried as he saw their pale faces.

'Son, please sit down.' His dad said gently.

Hae obeyed immediately, sitting next to his mum, grabbing her hands.

'I'll go straight to the point.' His dad continued. 'It seems we made some wrong investment moves...' His voice cracked.

Hae frowned. 'I'm sure Lee Corporation can help with that.'

'N-no, it all escalated. The investments took down not only the corporation's money but also our own. I was forced to sell the business so the employees wouldn't suffer too much, but I'm afraid it's too late already.'

Hae was thinking fast. 'How bad is it?'

His mother started crying. His dad was looking helplessly from her to his son.

'We've trusted the wrong people, Donghae. I'm so sorry.'

'It's okay, dad.'

'No it's not. We've lost everything.'

Hae never had seen his father so defeated.

'Surely there must be something we can do. Go talk to the ones taking over the business and plead with them to keep all employees!' Hae said.

'We've tried that today but the man was insane. His demands were out of this world.'

'What did he want?'

His mother started sobbing even louder, her hands gripping her son tight.

'Dad? What did he want?'

'You.'