Treasure

It Started With A Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Love is like a violin – the music may stop now and then, but the strings remain forever.”

 

Kim Himchan’s POV

“Dinner break,” the dance instructor grunts after we’ve danced for about fifteen times to the same song, non-stop. I slump to the squeaking floor of the dance studio alongside the other members. Chests heave with every heavy breath we take, sweat glistening on our skin. My whole body aches, almost begging for a rest.

“This is insane,” Daehyun says under his breath when the dance instructor exited the room, “they’re torturing us. I can’t keep up with this.”

“Yeah, we haven’t gotten enough rest for a week. We slept here last night and I think if this were to go on, we’d pass out on stage,” Youngjae adds.

“Shouldn’t this be against the company policy?” Junhong searches for answers in the leader’s drooped eyes.

“We need to do something about this,” Yongguk utters between gritted teeth, “we should sue the company.”

Yongguk had expressed his dissatisfaction to me with how the company’s been treating us. We’ve talked about this and when discussed with our manager, he doesn’t seem to be of much help. I know how determined Yongguk can get. I guess we’re taking matters into our own hands now.

It’s 7PM as we queue up in the company’s small cafeteria. Trainees bow as they walk by us, and I caught Sunhi looking my way. I avoided her. My phone buzzes just in time as I place my tray on the table. It’s Haejin – and I picked up too fast than I should’ve.

“Hey,” her voice resonates on the other line, somewhat easing my exhaustion, “are the guys there? Can you go somewhere they can’t hear you?”

“Hi, yes,” I oblige and rush out to the corridor, “What’s up? Is something wrong?”

“No, I just need to talk to you. Are you busy right now?”

I close my eyes, picturing her in front of me. Her hesitant tone – I can picture her darting her eyes to everything but me in her awkward stupor – it made me grin from ear to ear. “No, I’m free to talk, don’t worry. What is it?”

“I just wanna say thank you.”

“For what?”

“I know that I got accepted into that company because of you.”

. “It’s not like that—”  

“I turned down the offer.”

“No, Haejin, it really isn’t—”

 “Look, Himchan, I understand that you were just trying to help me, and I’m really thankful for that, but you really shouldn’t have done that. It made me feel like you have no faith in my capabilities. Even, well, back in high school,” she lets out a nervous laugh, “I got into the orchestra team because of you, despite being horrible at it. And those school clubs, organizations, programs – all because you put my name forth – they never were for my own effort.

“And I honestly did not expect to get a job because of you as well. You’re not my fairy godmother, Himchan. You’re not my knight in shining armor,” she laughs, “but I do appreciate all that you’ve done for me. Just – I’m no longer your junior, or your girlfriend, so it really isn’t your responsibility to take care of me anymore. I’m a sensible adult now – or at least I’m trying my hardest to be – and I can take care of myself.”

I have no idea why she’s suddenly pouring everything out, but I know better to not question it. I try my very best to not laugh at the thought of her cocking her head up and arms firmly crossed over her chest as if trying to look superior. She lost the baby-fat of her cheeks, yet she still looks cute now like she was back then.

“You made it into the orchestra team, but you never really have any musical talent, you played the violin like a crow crying, so you ended up becoming our vice-supervisor,” I chuckle as I hear a short gasp from her at my mild insult, “I helped you to become a musician – but you didn’t become a musician and instead showed of your talent in taking care of others. How does that have anything to do with my help? And for the other school activities, you helped out really well, and gained recognition from the teachers yourself. Is that because of me, too? I didn’t tell the teachers to love you.”

She tries to in, but I quickly continue, “And yes, I admit that I talked to the company to take you in. But not without boasting about your talents and experiences that I know you would be too ridiculously reluctant to say during your interview. And they were impressed with what they heard – and, yes, we had an agreement for an exclusive interview with the almighty Kim Himchan, but still.”

She stays silent on the other line for a while. With my eyes still shut close, I see her squinting at how right I am, but refuses to say it. “I always know what to say, don’t I?”

“So...w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter