Confessions in the Dark

It Started With A Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“,” I murmur under my breath the moment I realize what slipped out of my mouth.

Her eyes are fixed on the ground, shoulders dropped. She let out a dry laugh, “Of course he did.”

“No, Haejin, I didn’t mean that, I just—,” I unconsciously grab her again, this time onto both of her wrists. She doesn’t even try to break free.

“Just what, Yongguk? What other ridiculous explanation will you come up with this time?”

“This…isn’t how I wanted it to turn out to be. I just—I just wanted to apologize.”

“Well this is the worst apology I’ve ever received.”

I’m not good with words. I don’t know how to express my feelings. So I dumbly stand there holding her limp wrists. She tries to tug her hands away but I firm my hold. I don’t want her to go. I need to talk to her. I want to tell her that I’m sorry. But I just can’t make myself say it.

“Let me go,” she sighs.

“No, Haejin, I need to talk to you—”

“I want to switch off the lights.”

I search for her eyes, in dire need of an explanation. Why would she want to switch off the lights?

“We can talk with the lights off,” she finally raises her head to look at me, “that would be more comfortable, wouldn’t it?”

Her eyes softened. She understands. Kim Haejin always understands me best.

We switch off the lights and sit side by side on the sofa. The whole place is dark and quiet. I let out a long sigh. This feels much, much, much more comfortable.

“I’ve never really view myself as your boss,” I start.

“I should’ve taken care of Himchan better,” she continues.

“It’s not unprofessional for Himchan to do so.”

“Okay.”

“You’re not unprofessional just because Himchan did so.”

“Okay.”

“Okay.”

“That’s it?” she grunts and was about to stand up but I quickly, blindly reached out for her and sit her down.

“I,” I’m so glad I can’t see her face right now nor can she see me, “don’t like it when you drink alcohol with other guys.”

“That’s really up to me, honestly.”

“Yeah, but what if you get so drunk and start striping in their presence? I don’t like the thought of that. I should be the only person to witness your ridiculous habit.”

“Oh my God,” her murmuring reeks of embarrassment.

I grin in the dark, “starting from now onwards, I am your drinking buddy. Don’t get drunk with other people, especially guys. Find me whenever you want to drink.”

“Why did I even think this would be a good idea…”

And I got jealous because you spent the whole day with Himchan yesterday. I have to—no, I need to admit that that slightly bothered me. I didn’t want to stay back with Sunhi. I wanted to see you. I was really looking forward to our date.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter