A Chance, Perhaps?

It Started With A Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kim Haejin’s POV

“Leaving so soon?”

I turned to Ilwoo who gave me a pout. I glanced over the clock, making sure it was already 10pm. “My shift’s over. Deal with it.”

“But people keep on flooding in! Can’t you work over-shift tonight? I promise I’ll increase your raise!” he shrieked as he flipped the pan, his attention was slightly distracted.

I bit on my lip, feeling a tad bit guilty. My fingers twirled the small knot of my apron. “I...,” I just didn’t feel like getting into another quarrel with ApePig – knowing he’d give me a lecture for being out so long, “I’ll make it up to you next time, hyung,” I quickly took off my apron and hung it behind a cabinet.

“It’s ‘oppa’...” Ilwoo mumbled with a sigh. Him bringing up that topic meant that he was fine with me leaving.

I smiled, “Thank you for understanding,” I swerved to the back room and quickly changed into my normal clothing. I untangled the annoying high braided-bun of my hair and tied it into a loose ponytail.

“Haejin-ah,” Ilwoo’s rare concerned voice took me aback as I slid on my jacket, “take care, okay? If those flower boys dare to harm you, tell me and I’ll make sure their would be in our restaurant’s menu.”

I cringed at his unsurprisingly choices of words, “Thanks. I guess.”

He smiled, “I’ll even put it in the hotpot section,” he whistled and turned back to the stove.

“You’re disgusting,” I groaned and charged to the back door.

“Yah,” Ilwoo suddenly chirped once more, “I don’t know much about them, but,” he flipped his bangs in a diva manner, “try giving that fake fiancé of yours a chance.”

Would I ever?

It didn’t matter anyways. This whole contract thing...it’ll eventually come to an end when we found out what had actually happened that night. When Yonghee comes back, she’ll clear off all of these misunderstandings and BangApe would be out of my sight forever.

I waved Ilwoo off and exited through the back door. The cool breeze nipped onto my skin, strangely comforting me. I put on my earphones as I made my way to the bus.

The calming beat of music was in rhythm with the faint rumble of the bus. I looked out the window, watching as the night scenery passed by. I didn’t realize I was so deep in thought that the lyrics came in a blur.

For how long do I have to keep on doing this?

Being in a fake relationship...getting hates from people I don’t even know...and having to live under the same roof as him.

 

Neol saranghaneun nae jashini neomu miwo
Dashi nal saranghage haedallago bamsae gidohae
Neol tteonabonaego tto norae
Bureugo tto bulleo I, I wanna go back

{Trans; I really hate the me that loves you
I pray every night that I can love you again
After sending you off, I sing another song
Over and over I, I wanna go back}

               

The lyrics were somehow irritatingly mocking me. I my teeth as bitter memories tried making their way inside my mind.

I won’t let him affect my life. I promised myself I won’t let him affect me anymore.

And then there’s that ApePig. I cringed even at the thought of that insensitive, ignorant prick.

Why’s my life turning out this way?

But there was no way out of it. I signed that contract. I’ll get the money. I just have to deal with that .

The bus halted to a stop at the neighbourhood of the dorm. I heaved a sigh and stepped out, making my way to the apartment complex.

I stumbled back at the looming figure emitting heavy aura, visibly heaving as he took in heavy breaths. “Late night jog, huh?” I might not be much of a fan of him, but apparently he’s really hard-working.

“I TOLD YOU TO COME BACK BEFORE EIGHT!”

So yeah everything sorta went downhill from that point onwards. Why did he have to find fault on me all the time?

I’m tired, I need my rest. But he didn’t seem to understand that and seemingly wasn’t able to listen while I was speaking nicely. He mentioned about my job and I completely lost it. What rights did he have to question me? Mentioning about the lost of the ring? How was that so much of a big deal?

He merely had to sing and dance like apes, putting on truck loads of make-up and get money.

I bit back the urge to scream in his face, expressing how tired I was for having to deal with the whole day. I went to college having to avoid every single person for all of them had the impression that I sleep around thanks to that stupid article. I was an engaged in their eyes.

Then I had to deal with those greasy customers. Knowing I’d eventually have to return back to this place was a pain in the enough.  

“I said I’ll come back earlier next time, alright? In exchange, you stay out of my business.”

I swore I would punch him in the face, call me a cranky old hag, but I’d even pay a million to destroy hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter