Nineteen

It Started With A Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The longest sentence you can form with two words is; I Do.

 

“What happened? Where did you go? How did you end up at the police station? Who were you with?”

I massaged my temple and groaned at his bombarding questions. “Just drive, Yongguk.”

“I drove for 85 minutes here just to pick you up. I deserve at least an explanation of the current situation,” he barked. Yet, he started the engine and drove out of the police department. “Why did you tell the police to call me to pick you up, of all people?”

I could feel my face heat up. “Here’s an idea – shut up and drive.” I watched as the scenery of the outskirts of town went by from the car window. The sky was getting dark.

“Yah, Kim Haejin, what do you think I am? Your personal driver? I was composing a song when you called. Now the ideas are gone, thanks no thanks to you.”

I rested my head against the window, comforted by the soft vibration of the vehicle. Will it rain? I hope it’ll rain.

“Yah, Kim Haejin.”

I rolled my eyes. “What now?”

Yongguk kept his eyes straight on the bumpy road and cleared his throat, “Are you alright?”

“What?”

He took a sharp turn at a sudden corner of the road. “You’re not telling me what happened, so I’m just asking if you’re okay, .”

I had to bite back a smile. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

Pitter. Patter.

Oh, it’s raining.

I rolled down the window and touched the cold droplets.

The window was automatically rolled up again by Yongguk. “Stop doing dumb things, please.”

I rolled it down once more.

He rolled it back up. “You’re gonna get the insides of my car wet.”

Back down. “It’s just a drizzle—” The rain suddenly started pouring heavily and soaked the entire passenger side. Back up. “Oops.”

Yongguk let out yet another deep groan. He switched on the hazard lights and activated the wipers. “It’s raining too heavily. I don’t think we’ll manage to return to the dorm; judging by the weather and the condition of the road. We’d have to stop by somewhere for the night.”

We found a small village a little soon after that. He told me to wait in the car as he braved through the heavy rain to ask for a place to stay from the people there. I counted seconds before he returned, drenched. “Bad news, they only have a room to spare. Guess we’ll have to drive further.”

“A room would be enough,” I shrugged.

He turned to me in surprise.

“We can share.”

He looked so dumb and silly with his wet, matted hair. The heavy rain drenched him literally from head to toe. He switched off the engine and told me to wait again. He went back to the nearby house and rushed back to my side of the car. He opened the door and covered over me with a black garbage bag. I was taken aback by his thoughtful actions. “They don’t have an umbrella,” he shrugged.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter