Caramel Latte

A Series of Oneshots

[Lay x You]


I raised my hand up to shield my eyes from the beams of light as I squinted up at sky, before relaxing and letting my eyes close for a few seconds of peace. Around me, life was moving on, not at all bothered by the fact that I was shrouded in longing memories and wistfulness.

Realising that I was only stalling the inevitable, a sigh escaped from my nose as I made my way up the grassy hill, flowers blooming all around me as far as my eyes could see. Here, the multitude of colorful petals and butterflies danced an intricate bolero with the light breeze.

As I neared the top of the hill overlooking the vast field of dreams, I looked up towards the melancholy lavender of the only wisteria tree, a small smile sneaking its way onto my face as I turned my attention onto the name plaque placed into a marble maker that was protected under the shadow of the old tree.

“Hello Love, it’s been a while since I last talked to you.” I slowly settled down besides the lonely stone, placing my small parcel besides it before I started taking out its contents. “Sometimes, this place feels so surreal that I often think that it’s a dream, but….” I trailed off, once again taking in the breath-taking beauty and otherworldliness of this place. “Anywho, I brought you your favorite: Caramel Latte! With a hint of hazelnut cream…..” I whispered the last part, barely able to get past the lump that had formed in my throat as I raised a hand to the words etched into the plaque: My Love, my best friend, and guardian angel: Zhang ________.

I stared unseeingly at the cold stone as memories of a past consumed me. Imagines of laughter, a beautiful smile, dancing eyes, a breathtaking beauty twirling and dancing gracefully around a café; of kisses long past, and whispers and spoken words of love. Of lingering and loving embraces, hope, and tears. Of white halls, beeping machines, a flat line, and a shattered, broken man who has lost everything that night only to remember her last words…..”….smile and dance. Treasure each and every moment as you create new ones….!!” I snapped out of my reverie, imagining a long craved touch only to realize that it was only the gentle summer breeze carrying the escaped tears away. 

“Well then Love, until next time. I…I promise that I’ll get better with time. Don’t worry about me, I may be getting older every year, but I’ve kept my promise.” And with that, I made my way back down the hill that was located in the vast field of dreams, away from the guardian angel watching over my Love, but never truly away from her.

Oddly enough, as I made my way back, away from this little paradise of ours’, I felt loving arms wrap around my shoulders from a past that lightened and cured the pain from my heart, little by little.

A breeze brush by me, a whispered "I love you" swirled past, swaying along side the butterflies and flower petals.


The End!