Whatever Happens

No Escape in Love

 

 

Previously on No Escape in Love…

 

DARA’s POV

 

 

And then I started seeing dark spots on my eyes. I fell on my knees. Through my hazy head, I hear someone comes closer to me and then I hear Jiyong pleading desperately. It sounded so far that I almost didn’t hear him. I wanted to speak but suddenly, I was in a place that was so unfamiliar to me. 

 

I was wondering where I was when Chace appeared, smiling warily at me.

 

‘Am I dead?’ 

 



 

 

 

If I was really dead I was sure I’m not in heaven.  Heaven doesn’t look like this.  I wasn’t in a place where everything’s perfect and peaceful.  No beautiful flowers everywhere, no kids in white running around happily, nothing.

 

I wasn’t in hell either. There’s no fire or scary looking beings around me. Nothing.

 

As I look around, I finally noticed where I was.

 

Hospital.

 

So, am I alive then?

 

I walked some more. Then I see Jiyong sitting on one of the hospital benches with his head on his palms. He looked tired, frustrated and lost. So does my parents that sat a few seats before Jiyong.

 

“Jiyong.” I called him. But he didn’t move, it was like he didn’t hear me.

 

Chace confirmed it for me. “He can’t hear you.” I almost forgot that he had been with me ever since I out from this morning. He didn’t say anything but he still looked like he wanted to. He didn’t talk until now. I was really happy to him like this, like he’s alive. But I was also a bit sad, because seeing him and talking to him meant I wasn’t in my body which also mean that my condition right is not looking good.

 

“Am I dead?” I asked. I wasn’t sure I wanted to even hear the answer.

 

“No.” He said but the tone wasn’t happy. I didn’t feel any relief with that. “You’re inside that room.” He pointed at the operation room’s door. “It’s not good.” He added, quietly.

 

My breathing hitched up. “So I’m nearly dying?”

 

He didn’t answer.

 

It could only mean yes.

 

“I didn’t know you were still stubborn.” He said, after a moment, trying to change the subject. I thank him for that. I didn’t really want to think more about dying. “You really shouldn’t have faced those guys by yourself. Look what your stubbornness did. People you love are worried. And that guy right there’s probably thinking that it should be him. That’s what you felt before when I left, right? Are you trying to pass that feeling to another person?”

 

I avoided Chace’s glare. “I just didn’t want history to happen. I already lost you and I don’t know what I’d do if I lose another special person in my life.”

 

“What about other people’s feelings, Dara? Don’t you know what they’d feel if you left them? They’d feel so broken like someone ripped their hearts out of them. Especially him.”

 

I knew he was referring to Jiyong.

 

Right then, I feel guilty. All this time, I was thinking of myself. Always myself. I forget the people around me. How much they love me, care for me. But now it could be too late to change.

 

“I’m not saying this to make you feel guilty, Dara. I just want to make you understand those people around you.”

 

“I know. I’m sorry.” I said, quietly.

 

 I was still feeling all the guilt when Chace decided to change into another topic again. “I’ll tell you a story you never know from my point of view.”

 

He sighed. “When I left, I witnessed how miserable you and all the people that cares for me. It was breaking my soul seeing every tear and every sob. At one point, I wanted to go back. But I knew it was my time. I had done my purpose. You lived but you weren’t moving on.

 

 “I knew I can’t leave then so I stayed by your side. I was always with you, everywhere. Even in Korea. In that country, I saw a glimpse of that hope that you could find someone that would help you move on. And then you met that guy.

 

“I was happy to see you smile again. That real smile.” He was smiling happily while looking straight into my eyes. “But I have to add, I’m still more handsome than him. Don’t deny it!”

 

I chuckled. “I won’t.”

 

“He loves you, Dara. Maybe more than the love I felt for you. And you love him just the same. I could see that with the way you look at him.” The smile on his lips never left. “If God gave you the chance to live, you’d have to tell him what you feel. No more stubbornness.”

 

“Yeah, I’d do that.”

 

I looked at Jiyong and my family.

 

I was sure I didn’t want to leave just yet. I can’t imagine seeing them broken like this and also knowing I can’t do anything about it.

 

So I pray, silently….

 

Please let me live.

 


 

 

JIYONG’s POV

 

Dammit. The operation’s taking so long. Can’t they get the bullet out of her fast? I wanted to see her. I wanted to hold her to me. I wanted to see her alive.

 

Back at the warehouse, I remembered as I held her to me, I pleaded for her to stay awake. But she looked dazed and she can’t hear me. And when she closed her eyes, I think my world tore apart.

 

I screamed for her to wake up, to wake up for me. There was so much I wanted to say to her. But I didn’t get that chance.

 

Ambulance arrived fast. They carried Dara into the gurney and pushed her inside the back of the ambulance truck.

 

I didn’t leave her side. I sat next to her, holding her hand, as the ambulance team checked her vital signs. She was still breathing but barely.

 

They say she’s fading. I felt like dying at that time.

 

I wasn’t a Christian but I prayed to God.

 

Prayed she’d live.

 

Through the whole ride, I prayed continuously. I didn’t notice I was crying the whole time while I clutch onto Dara’s hand.

 

Please let her live.

 

The nurses and doctors greeted us on the hospital emergency room.

 

It was too fast, before I know it, nurses pushed me back saying I can’t enter the operation room.

 

Beat and defeated, I stayed behind and sat on one of the hospital seats.

 

Dara’s parents came beside me. Mrs. Park tried to give me strength while Mr. Park paced back and forth, worrying for his daughter’s life.

 

“She’s a strong girl. She’ll live.” Mrs. Park says, but I was sure deep inside, she doubts what she just said.

 

I looked at her face. I could tell she’s going to breakdown soon and I was sure her expression mirrored mine.

 

Mr. Park still kept on pacing but he was swearing now.

 

Mrs. Park stands up from her seat and walks to her husband and held his hand. They shared this look and then, Mr. Park relaxes a bit.

 

They sat next to each other, their hands intertwined, trying to be strong.

 

Suddenly, my thoughts run to what brought both Dara and I hear. The first encounter at the airport. I was minding my own business when she asks if the seat across me was taken. I didn’t answer, thinking she could be a fan that would annoy me the whole time. She calls me deaf and that’s where I realize she wasn’t a fan or she doesn’t know who I am.

 

At that time, I didn’t know that would be the start of our story.

 

I followed her. My first reason was because I felt like someone kicked me on my guts. She doesn’t know me and gives me trouble. But my second reason was because she intrigued me. How she looked panicked at her phone and dropped it on the water.

 

Then at that van when she started saying that her plan’s ruined because she thought that the reporters got a hold of her picture without the hat. I wondered at that time what her plan was about.

 

I thought that she’s the opposite of me. I haven’t had a plan on my whole life. I just go with it.

 

Then the story goes on. I knew she could protect herself if there are only one or two bad guys. I witnessed that when she shoved me on the wall while holding my neck.

 

She really intrigued me.

 

Then that one day that she cried hard when she realizes it was her ex’s death anniversary. I wanted to protect her at that time. I wanted to take all her tears away, all her hurt feelings away.

 

And then that kiss. I kissed her and it was perfect. We had that weird connection wherever I touch her or kiss her, there’s this electric current that flows.

 

And that intrigued me more.

 

Months pass. I started knowing her. And just this past month, I understood everything that intrigued me before.

 

The only and last question that intrigues me more is if she feels the same way that I’m feeling for her.

 

 I love her.

 

And I wasn’t even sure if I could still tell her that and hear her say that she loves me back.

 

 


 

 

CHAERIN’s POV

 

I felt a sudden chill while I was on a plane with Dong-Wook. It was 6pm, and it’s probably 12 midnight in LA.

 

I didn’t know what that sudden chill was but I suddenly thought of Dara.

 

Dong-Wook must’ve felt it too when he looks at me, frowning.

 

“It must’ve been the air conditioning.” I said, trying not to think of things that are now happening in LA.

 

It’s been 13 hours since we boarded this plane. And we’ll be landing to France right now. We didn’t get to have the one ride from Incheon to LAX, instead we got the two ride. First ride, Incheon to France and then France to LAX.

 

After we got out of the plane, I immediately contacted Dara’s phone. It rang for four times before she answered it. Thank God, she answered it. I was getting worried something happened to her.

 

“Dara, are you alright? How’s Jiyong? Is he there with you?”

 

Instead of Dara, I hear another familiar voice. “Ms. Chaerin. This is Mrs. Anderson.”

 

“Where’s Dara?” I asked, trying to keep my voice even but I failed. When I said Dara’s name, my voice broke.

 

I hear Mrs. Anderson sigh deeply. “She’s in the hospital. As well as Mr. Jiyong and the Parks.”

 

My throat went dry. “What happened?”

 

I could hear Mrs. Anderson cry silently. “My lady... She got shot and she’s currently on surgery.”

 

I didn’t know I was doing the same, crying silently. “How is she?”

 

“It’s not good.” She said, quietly.

 

I swallowed thickly. “Are you in the hospital too?”

 

“Not yet. But I’m on my way. I fixed things in the house first before following to the hospital.”

 

I released the breath that I have been holding. “O-okay. Dong-Wook and I will be there as soon as we can.”

 

“Be safe, Ms. Chaerin.” And then we both hang up.

 

I dropped my hand to my lap while I space out. After a moment, I blinked, trying to regain myself. I have to be strong. I turned around to look for Dong-Wook who got both of us drinks but then he was already behind me. He looked dazed, shocked. I was sure, I was looking the same. “Dong-Wook…”

 

“I heard.” He blinked before swallowing thickly. He dropped our drinks on the floor as he reached a hand to his hair, frustration written all over his face. “Dammit. We should’ve been there and that wouldn’t have happened.”

 

Then I see a tear and another fell from his eyes.

 

I held him into my arms.  “She’ll get through this. She did before, and she will now.” I said to reassure both of us.

 

Our best friend will get through with this. She’ll live.

 



 

 

 

DARA’s POV

 

Chace and I entered the operation room. I looked at myself being operated. Doctors and nurses were trying really hard to save me. They work in a fast speed motion but still precise in doing the right things.

 

One doctor says I needed more blood and orders his nurses to get her the same sample of my blood.

 

I looked at the heart monitor.

 

My heartbeat wasn’t as strong as it should be.

 

I’m fading.

 

“You’re slowly slipping away.” Chace said, holding my hand.

 

I gripped tightly onto his hand. “I’m ready, whatever happens.”

 

I knew I didn’t want to leave but if that’s what God wants, I have no objections. Maybe it was my time.

 

I could never tell Jiyong that I love him and I could never apologize and tell how I care and love my parents, but I know, we’ll see each other again. Someday.

 

Chace looked at me with sad eyes.

 

I smiled, reassuringly. “I’ll see them again, someday.”

 

The doctors struggled on keeping my heart beating. But I knew they tried hard enough, and it wasn’t working.

 

 I looked at my heart monitor. A little more movements before it went to a flat line.

 

I’m ready, whatever happens.

 

I’ll see them again, someday.

 


 

A/N: Click NEXT for the Epilogue!:D