Worth It

No Escape in Love

 

 

I wake up from a horrible nightmare. It was almost the same dream where Jiyong was dead in front of me, pool of blood around him.  But the difference is, my family and my friends were beside him, dead and bleeding.

 

I went straight to the bathroom, splashing cold water on my face.

 

I was breathing so harshly like I’ve run in a marathon. F**k, I’m having a panick-attack.

 

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

 

That’s it. Relax.

 

I headed to out, going to the fridge for some bottled water. After emptying my bottle, I finally found myself breathing normally.

 

I tried going back to sleep since it was only three in the morning but every time I close my eyes, my mind pictures out my nightmare.

 

In the end, I decided to just hang-out at the living room, all curled up with sheets and pillows, watching some movies on HBO.

 

Time flew too fast and before I know it, it was already 7AM.

 

Jiyong goes out of the bedroom, rubbing his sleepy eyes. “You’re up.” He says, realizing I was on the couch.

 

“Yeah, I am.” I sip on my coffee.

 

He walks closer to where I am. “You slept here?” He asked, looking on the sheets and the pillows around me.

 

“’Not really.” I shake my head. “I woke up too early so I decided to camp here in the living room and entertain myself.”

 

“Oh.” His stomach makes a noise. He looked ashamed as he rubs his stomach. “Hungry.”

 

I suddenly noticed he was only wearing boxers. He’s half- body on display. I gulped. “Uh… I’ve made breakfast on the kitchen.” I looked anywhere but Jiyong. “Go help yourself.”

 

“Thanks.” He rubs on his stomach one more time which made me stare at the abs I didn’t know were there before.

 

I blinked and he’s gone, to the kitchen.

 

Damn, I just adored his abs. Did he notice? Hopefully not.

 

I immediately dashed to the bedroom, trying control my thoughts. I really need to clear my head. I need to talk to someone.

 

Chaerin or DongWook?

 

I’ll prefer Chaerin since she’s a girl, after all.

 

Then suddenly, I forgot that I didn’t buy a SIM card. My SIM card right now’s from Korea and I’m pretty sure that won’t work here.

 

I grabbed some clothes I could change in so I could go out and buy that SIM card.

 

I re-enter the living room all casually dressed. “Hey, I’ll just buy a new SIM card. You want anything?” I asked Jiyong, who was eating his breakfast on the dining table.

 

“Sure, buy me one too.” He said, before shoving a spoonful of rice on his mouth.

 

I nodded and headed out, to the lobby.

 

The hotel shop down the lobby, unfortunately, is out of stock with SIM cards. Which is kind of weird.

 

I cursed and decided to go out of the hotel and find somewhere that sells SIM cards. Just around the block, I found the store I’m looking for.

 

I bought two SIM cards.

 

After plugging my new SIM card to my phone, I walked back to the hotel.

 

I dialled Chaerin’s number that I memorized before while I walked inside the hotel.

 

It could be night time in Korea but I know Chaerin’s still up. She answers after three to four rings. “Lee Chaerin speaking. Who is this?”

 

“It’s me.”

 

“Dara? Oh gosh! How are you? How’s the flight? How’s Mrs. Anderson?”

 

“Breathe, Chae.” I chuckle. “Everything’s fine. I just want to talk to you.”

 

“Good… So what do you want to talk about?”

 

I tried gaining myself some confidence. “I’m confused.”

 

“With what?”

 

“I think I like or not like Jiyong.”

 

“That doesn’t make any sense at all, D.”

 

I sighed in frustration. “Now you get the point why I’m confused.”

 

“Okay so how do you say you ‘like’ Jiyong and ‘not like him’ at the same time?”

 

“Yesterday, some receptionist kept on hitting on him and I felt jealous.  But of course, I didn’t admit that to him. And later that night, he admitted that he likes me or maybe more than that. I was tongue-tied at that moment. Then my head was full of thoughts why I do and don’t like him. It’s crazy.”  I got inside the elevator which was empty.

 

“You’re falling, D. I think you’re just afraid you’ll lose him just the way you had with Chace.”

 

I became speechless. Am I afraid that history would repeat itself? Is that why I kept denying my feelings for the guy who stayed with me through thick and thin?

 

“Listen to your heart and stop thinking too much. When you keep on denying, you won’t only hurt Jiyong but also yourself.”

 

I was still silent, trying to determine if she’s right.

 

The ‘ping’ of the elevator alerted me that it’s my floor already. “Thanks, Chae. I’ll call you sometime later.”

 

“’Kay, be safe.” That’s all she said before we both hung up.

 

I walked to the front of my hotel room. Then I noticed the door was slightly open. That’s weird, I remember I closed it before I leave.

 

I pushed the door open and what I saw shocked the hell out of me.

 

The room were trashed, messy. Glasses were shattered on the ground, pillow cases ruined, chairs broken, bedroom and bathroom were like it had been involved in a hurricane.

 

Which worried me more is that Jiyong wasn’t there. I only saw blood spatter on the kitchen cabinets.

 

I suddenly felt light-headed. Jiyong might’ve been hurt. That could be his blood.

 

Have they found us?

 

Of course they do. That’s why your hotel room’s a wreck and the guy you’re falling for is gone.

 

But how? Oh gosh, what will I do?

 

Call cops? Or I’ll just call Chaerin?

 

With shaking hands I dialled Chaerin’s number.

 

She answered immediately. “Miss me already?”

 

I paced around. My hands threading with my hair, pulling on it to vent out my frustration. “Jiyong’s missing. I think they found me. Chae, I don’t know what to do. What if something happens to him?” I was on the edge, panicked.

 

“Call your parents for help.”

 

“But -”

 

“You don’t have a choice! They’re the only ones who could help!”

 

I know she’s feeling frustrated so I agreed.

 

“Okay, I’ll stop by at my house and see if I’ll find them there.” Sudden image of Jiyong tied up, blindfolded entered my mind. “Chae, tell me everything’s going to be okay.” I desperately say. Please.

 

“I hope so, D. I hope so.”

 


 

 

I hailed a cab and made my destination to my parents’ house. I had also called Mrs. Anderson for a heads up.

 

At the gate, Mrs. Anderson stood, waiting for me.

 

I paid the cab driver and got out of the car. “Mrs. Anderson. Jiyong. I need help.” I desperately cling to my nanny, tears falling continuously down my face.

 

“Shh. Baby, your parent’s will help. They’ll be here in a few minutes. Can you wait till then?” With care, she ushered us inside the house.

 

I didn’t care if anything changed in my parents’ house and how happy the maids and professional bodyguards are to see me.

 

My mind was only focused to Jiyong.

 

I clutch on my grandmother’s necklace that is around my neck, trying to find support. I feel like breaking apart.

 

“Dara? Oh my God, my baby!” I hear her before I see. I turned around and let myself be wrapped around my mother’s embrace.

 

“Mom, I’m sorry. So sorry.” I’m so sorry. Help me. “Someone’s in danger because of me. He could die and it’s all because of me.”

 

I feel strong arms wrapped around me and my mom’s. It was my dad. They’ve never been affectionate like this before. Always distant, not any close to this.

 

“Shh, sweetheart. Help is already searching. Just have faith.” I feel a kiss on the top of my head.

 

I cried hard.

 

Have faith, Dara.

 

Have faith.

 

Suddenly, the house’s phone went off.

 

It could be them. Them who kidnapped Jiyong.

 

“I’ll answer it.” I pulled away from my parents and walked to where the phone is. I picked it up and immediately heard Jiyong’s harsh breathing. I knew it was him. I just knew immediately. “Dara, baby. Don’t agree to them. I’ll be fine.” Then there’s a crash like the phone was dropped and then it was picked up again.

 

“Jiyong?” I started freaking out. I mouthed my parents to get the device we could use to track the caller’s location. They immediately got it set up.

 

But instead of Jiyong’s voice, I heard an unfamiliar one. “No, this isn’t your handsome-but-perfect-to-kill-boyfriend. You know, he’s really annoying me.”

 

I hear a hiss, and I knew it was Jiyong. Those guys could be pointing or sliding that cold gun around Jiyong’s neck or face.Oh God.

 

“Don’t hurt him. Please.

 

“Well sweetheart, we won’t hurt him. Not unless you gave us what we want.”

 

“What do you want? I’ll give you anything. Just promise me you won’t hurt him.”

 

“I want your necklace.”

 

“Why would you want -”

 

“Just give the goddamn necklace and your boyfriend will be safe!” It’s not a good idea making the kidnapper mad.

 

I need to do damage control before they hurt Jiyong. “O-okay. Give me an address, date and time.”

 

He tells me the address. “Be there by 12AM tomorrow. No cops, no family, just you.”

 

“Okay.”

 

And then he hungs up before I could talk more.

 

“He’s still alive but I’m afraid they’d hurt him.” I looked at my parents. “Did you track it?”

 

 “No location. The phone must be a disposable one.”

 

I cursed. “They want me to give my necklace at 3AM tomorrow. No cops, no family, just me. I’m going to do it.”

 

“Are you crazy? After you give them what you want, they don’t have any reason to keep you both alive.” My dad looked like he was about to burst into flames.

 

I can’t blame him. It is risky, dangerous, but I knew Jiyong’s life would be worth it. My own’s not. “I have no choice! They’d kill him if I bring anyone! And I can’t risk that!”

 

I’d rather not live knowing he died because of me. I can’t let history happen again.

 

“But you’d risk your own life? Haven’t you thought what would all of the people who cares for you would feel if something happens to you?”

 

“Dad. Please.

 

“No. You won’t go alone.” He said firmly. And if he says this, I was sure he means it.

 

I collapsed on the couch, my palms furiously rubbing my face.

 

My mom sits beside me, pushing my hands away from my face. “Sweetheart, please understand. We haven’t seen you for months and we don’t want to lose you permanently.”

 

“But Jiyong…” I let it trail off. I didn’t want to say the ‘D’ word anymore. It makes my stomach sick.

 

“Your dad will arrange everything to keep him safe. Both of you. CIA’s will help so try to trust your dad on this.”

 

I calmed down after a moment.  Then I realize I have to ask about why they want my necklace. “Why do they want my necklace, Mom?”

 

She sighs, a bit hesitant to talk. “Chaerin’s parents and us, put a device on it. It has the blue prints of dangerous weapons that we designed for the CIA.”

 

I was curious. “Why the necklace, Mom? Why didn’t you just put it in a much safer place?”

 

“Our CIA head decided that it should be in that necklace so it won’t be too suspecting. We all agreed.  But we never expect the enemy to figure that out now.” She shakes her head as she realizes something. “They must’ve gotten information from the CIAs that just died from an ambush yesterday.”

 

“There was an ambush?”

 

“Two CIAs were on a mission to find terrorists around America. And suddenly, it was the other way around. The terrorists found them and they win.” She hates having one of their team dies. “We’ve been hearing that a plan was set to bomb cities of America. CIAs are on alert now. Different police departments and bomb squads joined too. No news on the TVs yet to not make citizens panic.”

 

I didn’t know my parents are having these kinds of problems and here I am adding up. “I’m sorry I added to your problems.”

 

“We’re a family, Dara. Your problem is also ours.” She smiles reassuringly. “Everything will be fine. Just have faith.”

 


 

Later that afternoon, I begged my father to teach me how to use a gun. For protection purposes was my reason. He hesitates at first but then decides I really need to know how to use one.

 

He thought me basics. How to pull the trigger and aim straight.

 

That evening, I already knew how to use a gun. And that night, I wore white t-shirt, dark denim jeans. Inside my jeans, is my own gun strapped around the ankle.

 

I was ready to use it if the situation makes me.

 

I was a girl on a mission. Simply: keep Jiyong alive.

 

11:40AM. I drove by myself to the location of where I would meet up with them and give my necklace while my parents and CIA’s are on back-up, hiding. From outsiders’ point of view, you’d really think I was alone.

 

I really hope this plan of my parents work.

 

I hope.

 

It was an abandoned warehouse where I was in. One or two lights guiding and telling me what I’m in.

 

“I’m already here! I brought the necklace as I was told!” I screamed while looking around.

 

Jiyong. Where are you?

 

I could make out four to six shadows from the darkness.

 

“Show me the necklace.” One voice say. He has a thick accent, I noticed.

 

Then as they step on the light I finally see who I’m dealing with.

 

I pulled the necklace out of my shirt, showing them. “Now, where’s Jiyong?”

 

The one with thick accent clicked his fingers which was a cue I think for his minions to show me what I want to see.

 

Six more shadows appear.

 

And then I see him.  He had a cut on the edge of his lips which meant he was punched and he looked dazed.  There’s cloth around his mouth and he was also tied on the hands.

 

They hurt him! That’s not part of the deal. “I thought we had a deal you wouldn’t hurt him? And why are his eyes like that?”

 

“He still didn’t die, did he? And we dilated his eyes for him not to see. But that will only be for a couple more minutes so don’t you worry, sweetheart.” The guy with thick accent starts walking closer to me. “Now, hand me the necklace and we’ll be done.”

 

“I want you to give Jiyong to me first and then I’ll give it.”

 

“That won’t happen dear. You might run away once you get him.”

 

“You’d get to me fast. We’re only two and you’re minions are like twelve.”

 

“Fine, my dear.” He looks at his shoulder and jerks his head to me. “Hand him to her.”

 

The guys who I recognized from Chace’s killer gave Jiyong to me.

 

I could still feel my blood boiling seeing Jiyong like this and seeing the one who killed Chace. If I could just really get my gun and shoot them, I’d be a happy girl.

 

“Jiyong, are you alright?” I pulled the cloth from his mouth so he could speak and also untied his hands.

 

“Dara?” His hands wander around my face. “You shouldn’t be here.”

 

“I can’t leave you alone.”

 

“Okay, my dear. We gave you the boy so hand the necklace now.” The boss of whatever group he is in, stretched his arms to me, his palms wide open.

 

“Don’t give it.” Jiyong says.

 

“I have to. I made a deal and I can’t break it.” The truth was I kind of broke a little part of the deal where the necklace is really not the necklace where the blueprints are.

 

I pulled the necklace off of my neck, while walking to the outstretched hand. I placed it on his palms and backed away to where Jiyong is.

 

My heart beat were loud on my chest.

 

I hope this works. Please let it work.

 

“Good job, Ms. Park.” I heard dark laughter of the whole team that planned this all.

 

“We could go now. Forget this ever happens.  And don’t you ever bother us anymore.” I firmly said. I helped Jiyong walk.

 

The plan was going on so well that I knew something would go wrong sooner or later.

 

Before we could walk a good one meter away. Mr. Thick-Accent spoke. “That’s a no deal, my dear. You saw me and I don’t think it’ll be a good idea to let you go.”

 

“I won’t do it. I swear.” I could feel it coming, gun shots aiming at me

 

“I’m not so sure I could trust you.” I hear him setting up the gun to fire. “And since you were nice, I’ll also drag your boyfriend with you. Couple burial, won’t that be romantic?”

 

I was in rage but I didn’t let them see it.

 

Then things happened too fast, guns were firing.

 

“F**k, she tricked us!”

 

Suddenly, Jiyong’s feet gave up. Someone shot his leg. Jiyong groans in pain.

 

I turned around and saw the guy that killed Chace. His eyes still the same crazy one.

 

I could see it in his eyes that he wanted to kill Jiyong too.

 

He has his gun pointed at me now.  I also notice, almost all the guns of the ‘still alive’ enemy were pointed at me. I had no fight. I was near to lose.

 

I pushed Jiyong out of their sight. I pulled my own gun from my ankle and pointed it straight to Chace’s killer and Jiyong’s shooter.

 

I could die a happy girl, just let me shoot the guy in the face. And it’ll be worth it.

 

But things happened too fast, I feel a sharp pain on my abdomen. Someone shot me. I ignored it and fired my gun to the guy I so wanted to shoot.

 

I fired it ‘till all I hear was the clicking of my gun.

 

And then I started seeing dark spots on my eyes. I fell on my knees. Through my hazy head, I hear someone comes closer to me and then I hear Jiyong pleading desperately. It sounded so far that I almost didn’t hear him. I wanted to speak but suddenly, I was in a place that was so unfamiliar to me. 

 

I was wondering where I was when Chace appeared, smiling warily at me.

 

‘Am I dead?’ 

 


 

 

A/N: Late update. Sorry! Anyway, this is a long chapter… hope you guys didn’t feel bored with it.

 

And we’re almost there! One more chap and we’re done! Woohoo! :D

 

See you on my next and last update for No Escape in Love! <3