Rival

Love Me
Happy New Year!

Author POV

"I like you," Suzy says to Amber. "Go out with me."

"Uhm..." Amber is awestruck.  

"... You don't have to reply now, I can wait until next week. But no longer." Suzy winks at Amber and walks away. 

The bell rings and Amber heads to class. She drags her feet and feels proud as girls want all of her. She smiles at her fans and heads inside. The squeals make she chuckle. 

As class started again, Amber felt an icy chill, she looked around and saw Krystal glaring at her. Amber turns back to the teacher and tries to focus. Why is she so staring at me Amber thinks. For a time that seemed like eternity, the teacher finally broke Krystal's gaze. 

"So for this group, I've divided you into groups of three. And no buts, because this is for the sake of the grades," Leeteuk said, and began to list off names. 

"Amber, Krystal, and Sulli..."

"Yay!" Sulli jumps in the air. Amber looks at Krystal who looks not happy with the groups.  

"Hey guys let's sit together!" Sulli beckons Krystal to sit in the desk in front of Amber. Krystal sighs and reluctantly changes seats. 

"Hi, I'm Sulli," Sulli smiles. "Nice to meet you,"

"Hi, I'm Krystal." Krystal opens her notebook and says, "let's get this project done quickly, I'm busy after school." 

Yeah you're busy working, Amber thought.  

"Everyday? What do you do?" Sulli asks 

"I'm busy." Krystal says firmly. "during school is the only time I have free."

"Why?"

"Stop asking jeez," Amber playfully shoves Sulli.

"Fine. But can we get your number to at least to discuss if we don't have time?" Sulli pouts cutely. 

Krystal thinks for a bit, "Sure. But only if you absolutely need to." She writes her number on a paper and hands it to Sulli. 

"What about me?" Amber asks. 

"I've ran into you too many times. We're bound to meet again so there's no point." 

"Let's have lunch together! That way we can work together and get to know each other and get--" Sulli says excited. 

"Slow down Sulli, and take a breath," Amber pats her back. Both look at Krystal. 

"Only until the projects over." 

"By the time it's over, you'll be glued to me!" Sulli smiles creepily.

Lunch comes and Sulli is waiting in line so Krystal and Amber are alone. 

"Hey. I have a question." Amber looks to Krystal. 

"... Go ahead."

"Why do you work two jobs?" Amber is curious. 

"Two? I only work at the cafe." Krystal denies. 

"You work at a club, I saw you." Amber whispers, barely audible. 

"You must be mistaken." Krystal brushes it off. This girl she thinks, is pushing into a topic she shouldn't dare. 

"I'm not mistaken. My eyes are good." Amber is growing frustrated. 

"Not this time. You are wrong." 

"I'm saying I saw you there!" Amber pounds on the table, causing people to stare. Krystal looks around and spots the bullies glaring at her. 

"What's wrong?" Sulli asks as she sits down with her food. 

"Nothing." Amber says. "Excuse me." She gets up and leaves. That was not cool. People as going to make misunderstandings. Need to cool down. Amber calms herself. Why do I care? Argghh but I want to find out. 

She makes her way into the deans office and finds her uncle. 

"Oh hey Josephine, what's crackin' " Her uncle says with a lot of effort. 

"Can I get information on Krystal Jung?"

"The new transfer student?"

"Yeah, how do you know her?"

"Why do you want to know?" Her uncle grins. "You like her?"

"No. I'm just curious." Amber hits her uncle as he continues with some hip ing. 

"Ow... Tell me the truth, why do you want to know?" he becomes serious. 

Amber sighs, "She's a person I can't stop thinking about and she seems to have a hard time."

"Is that it...?" Her uncle asks sincerely. She nods. "Okay then, here's the file." He hands her a folder. 

She's about to leave when her uncle calls out, "Come have dinner with us this Saturday. Your parents are flying in Friday and want to catch up with you,"

Amber silently grits her teeth, "I'm busy. Anyways, who wants to see parents who abandoned their own child." 

"Josephine, you know that their intention was not bad, it just happened this way."

"They could have at least taken me with them!" Amber scowls and leaves the office. She runs into Krystal in the hall.

"Are you all right?" Krystal asks softly as she sees Amber on the verge of tears. 

Amber tries quickly to compose herself. "I'm fine," she manages to say and walks away with a curious Jung. 

Was I too harsh? Krystal thinks. What a crybaby...

School ends and the project is not finished. The three decided to divide the work and do it separately. 

Amber got home quickly and opened the file on Krystal. She reads the paper, scanning for some background and money-shortages. She noticed that Krystal is listed as a "scholarship" student, which was odd because tuition was expensive and only the rich could afford it. Krystal, it says, has no parents and is currently living in an apartment. She received the scholarship before moving to Korea. Weird Amber thought. Uncle must have intervened.  

No one in their was kind-hearted except her Uncle. Her uncle donated half his income to help others in need. He was like a saint, so unlike her father who desired money over anything else.    

She changed out of her uniform and got dressed into more comfortable clothes. Amber decided she wanted to apologize to Krystal for the tip incident. That must be why Krystal is mean to her and that was indecent to her to brag about money. 

She heads to the same club she saw Krystal in and saw her handing out drinks. Amber noticed that the old men around her had sparkly eyes, too much alcohol. One of the men was more direct and grabbed Krystal. 

"You want to get a big tip tonight?" He sways holding a hundred. 

"I'm sorry but I am all right." Krystal tries to pull away. 

"You need the money. I know you do." he tightens his grip. "Now be a good girl."

Amber was angry. She didn't know why. She walked up to the man and pulled Krystal away. Krystal looked scared which fueled Amber more. "Sir. You've had a bit too much alcohol. It would be best if you go home."

Krystal held onto Amber jacket. 

"Stupid brat!" The old man attempts to punch Amber. She side steps it and falls to the floor, unconscious. Security comes to report him to the police

"Don't report the man," Krystal says, "He's just drunk."

"Being drunk doesn't mean he can try to ually assault you." Amber is still angry. 

"He didn't know what he was doing. He was under the influence of alcohol."

"You're too clueless. That's why this kind of situation happens."

Krystal is silent. 

"Report him and have him charged," Amber tells security. 

Security leaves and Amber is left with Krystal. 

"You went overboard. This happens every week."

"Does it. Do they keep coming back?" Amber sighs. "Whatever. Let's talk about something else."

"What?..."

"I still want to ask why you have two jobs," Although Amber knows the reason, she wants to see if it is true. 

"That isn't your business,"

"When will it become my business? If we become friends? Lovers?"

Krystal gives Amber a blank stare. Amber blushes. 

"I mean, friends... Friends. Why can't we be friends?" Amber stammers.

"Sure. We can be friends. It's always good to have a rival, competition makes me put forth more effort." Krystal's eyes sparkle. 

"... That's not what I meant..." This girl is dense. 

"That's that. Now I have to go work. Later rival." Krystal smiles and walks away. 

"What have I done." Amber face palms.