IX

J.E.R.K.

IX

 

 

 

 

 

 

I panted deeply, and tried to obtain my normal breathing rate. I had been running the whole way from the Kwon mansion to my house. I took out my keys and unlocked the door. I walked in and looked around. My mom's keys were hanging by its usual spot on the wall.

 

'Good...' I thought. This meant that she is home.

 

I took off my coat and threw them onto the couch. "MOM!" I bellowed. "WHERE ARE YOU?!" it isn’t my nature to be so impatient. However, today is different.

 

I heard some footsteps, and turned my attention to the kitchen. My mom is coming out with freshly baked cookies.

 

"Oh hey honey!" my mom greeted cheerfully. "I am just about to send these cookies over to Jiyong's. Even though we've known each other for a long time, I still feel guilty for letting you stay there for so long. But now that you're here-"

 

"Mom, we need to talk." I interrupted my expression serious.

 

My mom seems to be surprised by my mood. "..Is something wrong, honey?"

 

I am not really sure how to explain to her on this one. Sure, something is wrong. But I didn't know how important it is. I didn't remember ANY of the images I had back at Jiyong's room. All I could rely on were those emotions that came hitting me like waves. They were of pain, love and well...that is all I could describe. "Well… YES, it is a problem. Therefore, something is WRONG." after a few seconds of consideration, I finally came up with this response.

 

"Well...let's sit down and talk about it then." my mom placed the cookies on the table and settled on the couch, gesturing me to do the same. Usually, for these types of conversations, I would sit BESIDE my mom and enjoy her company. Though today, I sat on the opposite side, facing her, my face cold. I could see my mom's worried look start to show even more.

 

"Mom..." I started out quietly. "Let's begin this off with a question. A simple question." I breathed, trying to retain a calm composure. "Did I...have anyone back in my childhood days; that I really got along with, and really cared about?"

 

My mom's eyes widened slightly, but quickly went back to normal. "Uh...no, honey. It had always been Jiyong-"

 

"Someone other than Jiyong, perhaps? Besides, I don't recall ANY sort of positive attraction between me and him."

 

"No honey, you've only known Jiyong. There is nobody else." her voice lightly quivered.

 

I faked a smile. "Is that so? Well...I happened to have encountered a different story."

 

"..A different story?" my mom is now sounding more nervous and unsure.

 

"Yes. Hm...Let’s just say, I 'ran into' a picture. I saw myself, Jiyong, and another boy." I paused, then continued, "and I felt something really...STRONG about that picture, especially for that little boy." I paused another moment, taking the time to see my mom's reaction, which is now of shock. "Then, I fell over in PAIN!" I suddenly lost my cool. My voice is now louder.

 

"...Honey-"

 

"DON'T YOU HONEY ME." I pointed at my mom accusingly. "I WANT ANSWERS, that's ALL I CAME HERE FOR. You're hiding something, I know it. Don't lie to me, because it won't work. Now TELL ME, who IS HE?" I demanded.

 

My mom's eyes gradually welled up in tears. "Dara...I..." my mom choked out her words. For a split second, I felt guilt. But I soon returned to my currently desperate self. I am angry. How could she hide this from me? From all those images I had, I could tell that I really liked that boy, and he seems to have felt the same. All my life, I've been dreaming of finding that kind of someone. That special someone who loved me for who I am. That prince charming to sweep me off my feet.

 

"Dara...I'm so sorry..." my mom stuttered, still gulping down her sorrow. “It is...never meant to be brought up. I didn't have a backup plan as to what I would do when you...."

 

"Found out?" I suggested.

 

My mom nodded sadly, and then sighed. "But...since you are so persistent, and since you do have the right to know, I will tell you."

 

I nodded solemnly.

 

"After your father passed away, we moved away from our old home. I didn't want you to have those depressing memories, and I wanted us to start a new life. So I called Mrs. Kwon and told her that we would be moving somewhere near to where she lived. She was very excited and immediately offered to pick us up at the airport the next day. At the airport...was the first time you ever met Jiyong Kwon. Do you remember any of this?"

 

I pondered. These memories, to me were actual events of the past. But I found it hard to recall them. "I'm not really sure. But just continue, I may remember everything once you finish."

 

"Mrs. Kwon and I were very happy indeed. The both of you were just starting out kindergarten back then, and it was always much better to have someone you know. We signed you both up for the same classes, and then everything really began there." my mom sighed.

 

"What happened then?"

 

"You didn't like Jiyong much at all. You constantly came running to me at the playground whenever it was home time, complaining about how you wanted to switch schools. You were so childish back then." my mom chuckled, and I fumed. I hated him back then and I hate him RIGHT NOW as well.

 

"Maybe if you had switched schools for me back then, I wouldn't have grown to be so bitter." I muttered grudgingly.

 

"But if I had switched schools for you...you wouldn't have met...him." my mom smiled faintly at the mentioning of 'him.'

 

"Who was 'him?'" I asked eagerly, my attention suddenly rising to the fullest.

 

"Due to Jiyong's teasing, you became very mean, mostly around him. However, other kids were afraid of meeting you as well, and-"

 

"SEE? I TOLD YOU, that Jiyong Kwon made my life MISERABLE. WHY DO YOU ALWAYS WANT ME TO BE WITH HIM HUH?! HUH?! You always tell me to be nice to him and-"

 

"Dara, that was in the past. Now, he's changed. Do you want me to tell the story, or not?"

 

'He sure has changed...for the worse.' I mentally stated. "Please continue." I then added.

 

"You became mean, and no kids would dare come up to you. One day, I was coming to pick you up, when I saw you building a sand castle in the sand box all alone. Then, a boy came up behind you, I saw him tap you on the shoulder. You seemed to withdraw from him fast, but he held your hand firmly and smiled the most innocent smile a child can give. I was relieved; I thought you were starting to get picked on in kindergarten. I still remember your surprised expression. From that day on, he became your best friend." my mom's tears resurfaced again, and I handed her a tissue; encouraging her to continue.

 

"After that meeting, you became much more open and active. You were excited to go to class, and you loved to play with him. He was certainly a sweet and very polite child."

 

"You know, through all this time, I still haven't heard his name. What is his name?"

 

"His name is Seunghyun. Choi Seunghyun."

 

"Choi Seunghyun..." I murmured the name to myself. It gave me an undeniable sense of warmth.

 

" Choi Seunghyun is an adopted child. His real parents had died due to a tragic car accident. The poor child never had a real family. Thank goodness his foster family is kind."

 

"What is his family like?"

 

"They were very rich. In a way, the family is like Jiyong's family. Big company, big money. Although, as much as they spoiled him, Seunghyun is never selfish. He always used to share his lunch with you. Every day, you'd bring some leftovers of his lunch home to show me. You two really got along, and you two eventually became very close. Soon enough, every week, sleepovers were always an option."

 

"I'm curious, as to how did JIYONG meet Seunghyun? In the picture, there were me, Seunghyun and Jiyong."

 

"It was a trip. You made it MANDATORY for us to bring Seunghyun along. His foster parents didn't mind, but they weren't able to come along. You were attached to Seunghyun the whole time. Once you two reached elementary, the friendship still lasted. Seunghyun is an excellent student, and he is always at the top. Jiyong and he had some pretty bad competitions in sports and grades."

 

"Wow…as much as I hate to admit it, Jiyong IS..." I closed my eyes and said the word reluctantly, "smart."

 

"Elementary for the both of you weren't any different. Seunghyun had ALOT of girls going after him. He and Jiyong were well...the most attractive boys in the school. But he never interacted with other girls other than you."

 

I dreamily sighed. He is EXACTLY the type of boy I'd LOVE to date.

 

"Seunghyun is your first so called 'boyfriend.' It may not count as a 'boyfriend' to teenagers now, but it is truly a good relationship. You had your first dance with him in grade 6. “

 

"But..."

 

"What?" I asked anxiously.

 

"All this happiness didn't last for long. On the day he asked you out for your first date, it happened."

 

"WHAT HAPPENED?!" my tone is now frantic.

 

"It was horrible..." my mom sobbed. "The truck that hit him escaped. It was a hit and run. The people who saw this tried to help, but everyone was focused too much on the bloody scene to have seen all the details of the truck. But they knew...that he had pushed you out of the way, because you were trying to save a stray kitten from getting run over. He...pushed you out of the way...and…" my mom is now in a sobbing dilemma. I couldn't help her because I am now starting to cry as well.

 

"WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?!" I screeched, reaching out to grab my mom's arm in despair. "WHAT?! TELL ME!"

 

"He was sent to the hospital." my mom inhaled deeply. "His foster parents paid a big amount of fortune to try and save his life. But..." my mom shook her head in pain. "They weren't able...to save him. He was only 13. You had some minor wounds. You hit the ground from his push, and injured your head. Which was why you didn't remember anything. To me, it was the best relief a mother could have."

 

"Relief?!" I shouted, appalled.

 

"The whole point we moved was to start off new. I didn't want you to suffer from all these! When you didn't remember a thing, I was glad because I don't WANT you to remember any of this. It's all too horrible! You've lost your father, I don't want you bear the scars of losing a best friend, or perhaps, someone of much more importance to you!"

 

"No..." I mumbled.

 

"What?"

 

"No, it can't be. He CAN'T BE DEAD!"

 

"Dara, I know this is hard to accept, but he is-"

 

"NO!" I screamed, covering my ears. "NO! HE'S NOT DEAD! Those emotions that washed over me, they must be trying to tell me something!"

 

"Honey..."

 

"DON'T CONTRADICT ME! I KNOW HE'S ALIVE! HE'S OUT THERE!"

 

My mom is now frightened. I had never been this panicked before in my life.

 

"I'm going out there RIGHT NOW, I'm going to go LOOK FOR HIM!" I yelled and got up, running towards to door.

 

"DARA!" My mom got up to follow me, and try to stop me. But she is too late. In a matter of seconds, I am out the door. "Dara..." she stuttered. "Please don't..." she said, to the silent atmosphere. I didn't know that this is not all there are to the story, and that there are still hidden things through this. I didn't know what would happen if I am going to look for him. I didn't know what the consequences would be, and how hard they would come.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------

TOP is here!