Epilogue

J.E.R.K.

Epilogue

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Staying rooted to the ground with my fists clenched and eyes sharp, I am in a state of extreme concentration. Despite all the scuffling and random stares around me, my mind is focused on only one thing. This task is so important, that I had devoted nearly all of my day to it.

 

“Nah…I don’t think this is right.” I placed the scarf back on the hanger. “He doesn’t need one…”

 

It is that time of year again—Christmas shopping. All the people around me seemed to be having a good time, with their carts filled with things like chocolates, chips, pop and various other items essential for a party. I, however, am taking this much more seriously. I recalled to Tabi’s birthday party, I had bought him chocolates while all his other friends presented him with offerings I could only dream of. I am so embarrassed by this that I had begged him to open my gift in private.

 

For Christmas, I am determined to buy gifts I would NOT be ashamed of. Tabi is going somewhere for his vacation and knowing him, he will definitely get me something on his trip, which only made me all the more eager to return his thoughtfulness. Yoona had sent me something last year without me knowing, making me feel horrible.

 

My face tinted pink at the thought of someone else. Jiyong is coming back to spend Christmas with me after many weeks of being away to help his parents with the company. The training became more intense recently, so he is often not by my side. In fact, ever since the reunion on the Ferris wheel, the two of us have seldom dated because he is usually busy. He called me any time he could and if for some reason he couldn’t call, I will receive an IM from him. I had been ecstatic when he IM me one day and later on announced that he is visiting me on Christmas.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Jiyong says: Hey. What’s up?

 

Dara says: Oh heyyy. Not much, just thinking about Christmas shopping. I should really get that done. How goes training?

 

Jiyong says: Horrible. I swear, the people who work here are secretly robots or something. My parents announced to this man that he had earned himself a raise, and he didn’t smile or anything – he just bowed and left the room. Aren’t people supposed to be happy about that?

 

Dara says: Haha xD I think he was probably just tired, the work is serious stuff.

 

Jiyong says: I guess.

 

Dara says: What else is new? Other than the possibility that you are working with a bunch of robots? Lol.

 

Jiyong says: My parents recently hired these women in their 20’s. It’s creepy how they look at me.

 

Dara says: How o_O?

 

Jiyong says: Sometimes, it’s very warm in the building, so I take off my jacket and I usually wear T-shirts underneath – they will watch as I do this. They seem to try and make conversations whenever possible, and when they do…they don’t just look at my face, they look “all over me,” if you get what I mean.

 

 

Dara says: Eww.

 

Jiyong says: I know, right?

 

Dara says: You better not be enjoying this attention TOO much >=/

 

Jiyong says: Eh, no way. My expectations are nonexistent, Dara. You know that.

 

Dara says: Lol, nonexistent? Okay, but you can’t blame me for wanting to warn you, right?

 

Jiyong says: Of course not.

 

It looked as if he was typing something else, but he stopped. Curious, I decided to ask him.

 

Dara says: What were you about to say?

 

Jiyong says: Nothing. Anyways, this dragged on longer than I thought. I am just going to tell you that I’ll be visiting you this Christmas.

 

Dara says: O_O

 

Jiyong says: That means you’re excited, right?

 

Dara says: No duh! I can’t wait xD

 

Jiyong says: Ha. All right. Hey, I’ll talk to you later, my break is over.

 

Dara says: Aw, really? All right. Bye. Hope to see you soon…

 

Jiyong says: Me too. See ya.

 

User Jiyong has went offline.

 

Out of excitement, I forgot about asking him what he is about to say earlier in the conversation. I decided to drop it, because I didn’t want to seem like one of those crazy girlfriends that stalked their boyfriend’s every move. However, as much as I hated to admit it, not having him around is slowly driving me over the edge. I missed being around him. Whenever I see couples walking down the streets holding hands, I envied how lucky they were. I didn’t want full-blown PDA, but I really wanted to walk side by side and just talk.

 

Phone calls and instant messages just weren’t capable of that. The conversations online seemed so formal sometimes, it didn’t even feel as if the two of us were a couple. I rarely used webcams because he is usually in a professional setting. When I did use webcams, I felt self-conscious and he always looked exhausted. Over the phone, it is slightly better because I am actually able to hear him, but I never quite knew what to say.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Excuse me; are you going to buy that?”

 

I looked behind me to see a very impatient looking man behind me, eyeing the scarf I had returned.

 

“Oh, no…sorry.” I quickly got out of his way and exited the store. I cursed the fact that I had left shopping to nearly last minute because I wanted to make sure I would have enough money. But now, money isn’t even the problem – I can’t find the right gifts to express how much I appreciated them. I didn’t have much time left, as Tabi is going to leave tomorrow for a trip, and I have to send Yoona the gift today for it to make it in time. Jiyong is coming back tomorrow night, and I still haven’t got a clue as to what present I should greet him with, where I would take him and even what to say.

 

Christmas has become so materialistic—I didn’t want to follow that trend, but it is becoming more and more difficult. It just seemed so much easier to think money and how more money meant better gifts. I wanted to make gifts, but I am not great with cards or sewing. I couldn’t cook or bake, and I didn’t think I am creative enough.

 

Suddenly, the phone rang. I reluctantly answered, feeling very frustrated with myself. “Hello?”

 

“Hey. Dara?”

 

“Oh. Hey Jiyong.”

 

“I’m currently packing up for the visit, just wanted to call you and see how you were doing.”

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“Are you sure? You sound a bit-“

 

 

”Yes. I’m sure.” I cut him off and tried to sound more reassuring. “I’m just peachy.”

 

“All right then…” he obviously didn’t believe me, but seemed to sense my need for privacy. “Well…I was just wondering if you wanted anything? Just name it, I can probably get it.”

 

I bit my lip, his offer struck something in me. “No.”

 

“Really? I thought you said that you wanted this limited edition stuffed animal?”

 

“Forget about it.”

 

“How about those-“

 

“Listen, I don’t want anything.” I emphasized the word “don’t,” hoping to get the message through.

 

Jiyong, having finally lost his temper, snapped. “Listen, I’m just asking to be considerate. Why are you being so rude?”

 

“I’m not being rude. I just don’t want anything.”

 

“If you didn’t want anything, you could’ve said so in a less offensive manner. Seriously, I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but whatever it is, you better stop it.”

 

Blinded by anger and aggravation, I retorted, “Well I probably won’t stop it, so if you can’t handle it, don’t come!” With that, I hung up furiously.

 

The phone didn’t ring after that. He never called back again. It wasn’t until hours later I begin regretting what I did. I tried calling back, but his cell is shut off. I tried leaving messages online, but he never replied. I knew that I only had myself to blame.

 

Looking up at the clock, I realized that it is too late to shop anyways. “What am I going to do…?” I asked myself, knowing that I had just created more problems. Just then, looking at the computer, an idea came to me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~Fast forward to next day~

 

 

 

 

Tabi’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

I am just about to leave for my trip. It is a shame that I couldn’t talk to Dara beforehand, but I am so caught up with the arrangements for the trip, I had no time to spare. I had talked to her a while ago, and she is incredibly concerned about getting me a Christmas present. “I just hope she’s not putting in too much effort…” I thought as I flashed my passport, “I’ll send her something nice once I get there.”

 

As I boarded the plane and everything is settled, I decided to leave her a message online just so she knew I am doing all right. Just as I am about to find her on my list, I realized that I have new mail. “…its vacation and they’re still not giving me a break?” I frowned and clicked, but is surprised to find that it is from Dara. She usually just IM I and she isn’t a fan of chain letters. It is titled “Merry Christmas – Open please =P!” Puzzled, I still smiled and clicked. The only thing I see is a link.

 

As I clicked, I am led to a video and within a few seconds, Dara popped up on the screen…and she is struggling with the webcam. I chuckled to myself as this took up about 30 seconds of the video.

 

Finally, she sat proudly before the webcam, having gotten everything under control.

 

“Hey Tabi, ya…it’s Dara-ah. Your…friend who is currently not on the plane and will soon be very far away from you.” She looked very nervous.

 

I smiled as I turned up the volume and leaned back into the chair to make myself comfortable. This is going to be very enjoyable.

 

“Well…I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect Christmas present for you…and I’ll be honest, I failed. After last time with the chocolates, I am determined to do something better…but as you can see, with my amount of money and well…ya, that isn’t possible. This is like…the fifth take on this video…and trying to sound formal didn’t work, so I’m just going to talk to this video as if you’re here.”

 

Grinning, I shook my head and knew that this is just like Dara. She is sometimes honest when she’s not supposed to be, but it is nearly impossible to be angry even in the slightest.

 

“So yes…um…we’ve been friends for a very long time, much longer than I can even remember…no pun intended…AHAHA…ha. But um…I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you being there for me, and how I think you are just one of the most considerate persons I have ever met. You’re just so…admirable and I could only dream of having even 1% of your talent. You’re just so perfect, and I’m not even exaggerating. You’re probably in front of the screen disagreeing with me – that is simply another trait I admire in you – you’re so modest!”

 

“You know me very well, Dara.” I commented to myself as the video proceeded.

 

“Tabi, I hope that we will be close friends until the end of the time. You are just so important to me; it would be hell to lose you. I was out there, trying to find the perfect gift to show how much I appreciate you, but then I realized that you probably have everything I could offer already…but this…you probably weren’t expecting this, right? Well, I came to realize that materialism cannot express how much I value you. I would’ve written you a card…but you know that my writing isn’t the best, so I thought of the video. I really hope that you’re having a nice flight, and once you get there, remember to have fun, you certainly deserve it! Anyways, give me a call once you get there, I’m really looking forward to hearing from you. Bye!” With that, she turned off the webcam…after a few attempts.

 

“Ahh, Dara, you’re awesome.” I replayed the video a few times before typing up a message for her.

 

Once I am satisfied, I clicked “Send.”

 

Hey Dara,

 

I got your video, thank you so much. It was very touching. You’re right – the things you can offer me with money, chances are, I’d have them already. You were also right in saying that I wasn’t expecting this…however; you failed to see how much it would mean to me. Money is one thing, true friendship is another. Dara…you’re wrong in believing that you have nothing to offer me – simply you being there, and me knowing that someone will always have my back is enough. I may come from a wealthy family, but I do understand the value of things that are beyond money. Dara, everything you have done for me is beyond what money can do, and you need to realize that. Your video really cheered me up and made the flight more enjoyable. I never knew how highly you thought of me – I just want you to know that I think of you the exact same way, and possibly even beyond.

 

PS: Your writing does not :)

 

 

 

Yoona’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

I am just finished wrapping up presents. This year, I bought Dara friendship bracelets. Last year, I sent her something slightly expensive, which obviously made her feel uneasy. “I hope this is more of something she can relate to…”

 

Suddenly, I heard the sound on my instant messenger that signaled new mail. Having had enough of gift wrapping, I decided to take a break. Much to my pleasant surprise, it is from Dara. “Heyy, she rarely sends me e-mails.” Seeing that it is a link for a video, I am confused, but clicked anyways.

 

I nearly jumped out of my chair with laughter as I saw Dara. My face remained flabbergasted even as the video started. I have seen her on webcam before, but I have never imagined that she’d send a video greeting. Seeing that it is well over 5 minutes, it is certainly more than just the generic “Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!”

 

“Hey Yoona! What’s up? This is Dara, as you can see. As you can see, you won’t be receiving anything in the mail this year…just like last year. I spent hours trying to look for something for you, but I honestly got nothing. If we still lived near each other, I would’ve taken you to shop for clothes…but unfortunately, that’s not the case. So…throughout this difficult journey…yes, journey…I discovered that this video will probably be more meaningful than anything I could ever buy you. And no, it’s not just because I’m poor…okay, maybe that’s partially why, BUT…this video isn’t just about me justifying why you’re not receiving anything by mail…this video is the actual gift. This video is dedicated to you for being an awesome friend, and even though we’ve had our ups and downs, and for a while, there was some tension…we really did come through and remained good friends. Now, you’re in England, creating a bright future and doing so much better than I, AHA…yes, that’s a definite. I just want you to know that you are amazing, and that I have always looked up to you. You say that you envied me, but really, it really should be the opposite. You have so much going for you, and you’re just great at everything you do. I’m always one step behind you, and sometimes, it does get discouraging, but in the end, I know that you will make it far. Just look at you know, you’re in England…making it big! Every time you tell me about how well you’ve done on your exams, how you’ve won yet another award and how you were nominated by your teachers for some competition, I always knew beforehand that you were capable. Congratulations on your exams, I knew you would do well, but it never ceases to amaze me that we’re truly friends. Anyways, I can’t wait for you to come online; we should have another chat soon! You gotta come visit some time; I can’t wait to see you again! Bye!” With that, she ended the video.

 

Tears welled up in your eyes, as I immediately decided to leave her a message.

 

 

 

Dara-ah~

 

Thank you so much for your video! I should be the one being thankful that we are still friends! After all we’ve been through, we still remain tight, and I will forever be grateful. You have so much going for you as well, and I just hope you will realize that and accept it. We lead different paths, but please do not be afraid to venture on – I will always be there to support you. Thank you for having so much faith in me – it’s hard here, but I always think back to you and the fun times we’ve had – the parties, the sleepovers, the lunch breaks, the hangouts, everything… You mean so much to me, don’t ever forget that! I promise that we will see each other again soon, and when we do, it will be great. For now, keep your head up high and hang in there! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and be sure to check your mailbox, I’ve sent you something for the both of us ;]

 

Best friends forever! <3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

I sighed as the call once again, isn’t responded to. Did he really decide to cancel his flight and never talk to me again? His flight is originally at 10 tonight…am I still supposed to go pick him up? Eventually, I decided that I am still going to go. Even if he doesn’t show up, at least I would be sure that I didn’t miss him.

 

I went to the airport at around 9:30 just to be safe. Each time I saw someone step out; my hopes peaked and then dropped. I constantly checked my phone, but saw no missed calls.

 

 

 

 

 

~Fast forward an hour later~

 

 

 

 

It is now 10:30 and still no Jiyong. Seeing as very few people are coming out, I finally decided to leave, thinking that the best thing to do is to probably just continue calling him later and hoping that he picks up…whenever that will be.

 

I didn’t cry, because I know I am the one who blew it.

When I got home, it is already 11:00. I thought about making one last call for the day, but decided that it is almost Christmas Eve, and I should be having a good time instead of being upset about something that is out of my control. “I’m just going to watch a movie.”

 

At around 11:55, I jumped at the sound of my cell phone ringing. It is an unknown number. I tried calling back, but it is apparently blocked. I shrugged, thinking it is just a wrong number. “I actually fell asleep during the movie…wow. Oh well, at least I’m in time for Christmas Eve!” Feeling hungry, I decided to eat something.

 

Suddenly, I heard a crash at the backdoor. Out of reflex, I grabbed a knife.

Hearing footsteps approaching, I hastily looked for a spot to hide. ‘CRAP!’ I started panicking when I realized I could no longer fit into the cupboard like I am able to at 6 years old.

 

“Dara?”

 

I froze. I recognized that voice…I’d recognize it anywhere. “JIYONG?!”

 

The footsteps became louder and eventually made its way to the kitchen. And then, I see him. After many weeks, he’s finally standing before me. “Y-you…you really came…”

 

“Of course I did…I said I did, didn’t I? You should know by now that I don’t break promises.”

 

“I thought you actually took me seriously and decided not to come.”

 

“I knew you didn’t mean it…” he said, shrugging. He gave me a weak smile and got closer, “besides, I wanted to see you, whether you wanted me to or not.”

 

“Huh? Why is that?”

 

He looked at me incredulously. “Why else? Because I miss my girlfriend.”

 

“I’m really sorry…”

 

“Well, I am too; I shouldn’t have been so harsh.”

 

“No. I shouldn’t have lost my temper. It’s just that I didn’t know what to get anyone. I wanted to buy Tabi, Yoona and you the perfect gifts, but I didn’t know what to get. What I could get, you guys would probably already have.”

 

“True.”

 

“So ya…I know it isn’t an excuse to act like a brat, but I am very determined this year.”

 

“So what’d you end up doing?”

 

“I made them videos…”

 

“Videos?”

 

“Ya. Like, you know those videos you make for friends that you see online?”

 

“Yes, I know.”

 

“So uh…”

 

“I have some explaining to do. First of all, I am not ignoring your calls if you made any. After you hung up on me, I decided to give you some time to cool off before calling you back, so I went back to packing. I didn’t think you’d call me back either, seeing as you seemed pretty fed up. Then, one of the maids had this bright idea to pack my cell phone in as well, so she stuffed it into the luggage and I found that out way too late, and so I didn’t have a cell phone…nor did I have my laptop because she was probably the same person who packed it in. When I said to ‘pack everything in,’ I forgot to mention to leave out things that may be essential for my sanity.”

 

I laughed, “I guess.”

 

“I tried using another phone to call you, but you never picked up. I even called your house, but you still didn’t pick up.”

 

“Oh…I fell asleep.”

 

”Seriously? I thought you were in trouble. I tried knocking on the door but didn’t even hear any movement. I thought something is wrong and that’s why I broke through the backdoor…I should consider getting better security, by the way.” He smirked.

 

Suddenly, I just couldn’t control it anymore. I miss his voice. I miss his cocky attitude. I miss that trademark smirk of his. I literally jumped into his arms, and caught him off-guard. He is stunned, but slowly wraps his arms around me in a tight embrace. The tears I had held in at the airport were now flowing freely down my face. “I missed you so much…” I cried.

 

“I know…” he said quietly as I felt his arms around me locking even tighter.

“Because I missed you just as much.”

 

I slowly pulled away from him. “You mean that?”

 

“Of course I do, Dara. You’re my girlfriend; I want to spend more time with you.”

He paused, and looked into my eyes. He didn’t need to say anything more; I know he is telling the truth.

 

“I’m just very sorry that I acted like a moron…”

 

He chuckled and wiped my tears away, “it’s okay. You weren’t being a moron. I think you were setting standards for yourself…that you really didn’t need to aim for.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Let’s just say I think your videos were more than enough to make their day, Dara.”

 

“You really think so?”

 

“Yes, I do.”

 

“That’s reassuring…” just then, I remembered the conversation online, when Jiyong had mentioned “nonexistent expectations.” Still curious, I decided, “hey Jiyong, what did you mean by nonexistent expectations? Do you remember?”

 

He laughed, “I knew you were going to ask sooner or later.”

 

“Well, you know me well, I’ll give you that. So what did you mean?”

 

“They’re nonexistent because I’ve already found someone who meets them, Dara. I’m sure you know who that is.”

 

My face lit up as I realized what he meant. This is another side of him I missed dearly; he is amazing with being romantic.

 

“Oh…” all of a sudden, I remembered. “I haven’t made you anything! But now that you’re here, you can tell me what you like and we can work on it!”

 

He rolled his eyes, “have you learned nothing, Dara?”

 

“What?”

 

He sighed, “Dara, I’m asking you seriously.”

 

“Well, I am being serious. I don’t get it. Can you tell me again what I’m supposed to have learned?”

 

“I don’t need you to make anything for me. Dara.” His lips gently met mine as an arm slipped around my waist, “you should know by now…that all I want for Christmas this year, is you…” he leaned in, close to my ear and whispered, “and it will be the same for many Christmases to come.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

Mianhe. It should be last Christmas but then I revise some details to make it related to the story.

Thank you for reading this fanfic.

I really appreciate everything you have done for this story.

Without you all I won't able to finish this.

Thanks to all of you!

God Bless All! Till next story again!