XXVII

J.E.R.K.

XXVII

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

I couldn’t wait to get to school. Even more unbelievably, I couldn’t wait to see Jiyong. The two of us have finally become friends after years and years of bickering to the deaths. I raced to first class; perhaps Jiyong is there already since he usually gets rides.

 

To my disappointment, I didn’t see Jiyong. ‘Well, he has a driver…’ I thought.

‘He doesn’t need to get here this early.’ I fidgeted due to excitement. The classroom started filling up, but still no Jiyong. I started to get anxious. ‘Why isn’t he here yet?’ One minute before the bell will ring. I begin thinking that he isn’t coming at all.

 

Suddenly, the same familiar footsteps echoed down the hallway. I sat up hopefully. Sure enough, Jiyong showed up at the doorway. He looked around the classroom casually. I waved at him. He looked in my direction, but quickly looked away. It was likely that he saw me. ‘Why did he ignore me?’ I frowned.

‘Maybe he thought that I was someone else…’ I reasoned with myself. I sat more towards the back, so it is possible. Just then, I saw him nod his head, but it isn’t at me. It is at someone even further back. He walked right past me, and sat down next to one of his buddies. I decided to not make such a big deal out of it. He probably just wanted to see his friends. After all, he spent practically the whole day with me yesterday. ‘I’ll try again later.’

 

During break, I tried to find Jiyong again…but I found Tabi instead. “Oh…hey.”

I am slightly disappointed.

“Hey.” Tabi noticed the discontentment in my voice. “What’s wrong? Not happy to see me?”

 

“No…I just need to talk to Jiyong.”

 

“Oh…I see.” He pointed behind him, “Well, he’s there with his friends.”

 

I looked to where Tabi is pointing. There is Jiyong, with his group. I wanted to approach him, but I am not all that good with too many people. “I’ll find him later.” I smiled sadly.

 

“Okay then. I’ll walk you to class?”

 

“All right!” I smiled and followed him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~After school~

 

I am relieved to see Jiyong at his locker…by himself. I took in a deep breath and went up to him. I didn’t have a reason to be nervous. Nobody else seemed to be around, yet somehow, I felt awkward.

 

“Hey Jiyong!” I jumped up to him as he fumbled with his locker combination.

 

He looked at me, his face plain. “Hi.”

 

“I just thought that yesterday was great, and I wanted to thank you for suggesting the idea in the first place!”

 

“No problem.” He replied as he took a few books out of his locker and stuffed it into his bag.

 

“Well, now that we’re friends,” my voice trailed off. “At least I think we are…we can uh…you know…hang out sometimes.” I said, hoping that it wouldn’t give him any ideas. Jiyong would normally get the wrong picture, and say things such as “I knew you couldn’t resist me.”

 

He zipped up his bag and slung it over his shoulder. “Thanks for the offer, but I’ll pass.”

 

“What?” I looked at him, perplexed. “What do you mean you’ll pass?”

 

“It was a one-time thing. You paid for everything anyways.”

 

“But…I thought-”

 

“You thought I intended to become friends with you?” Jiyong scoffed. “Dara…that outing was exactly what I said it was—a payback. You owed it to me. I deserved it. It didn’t mean anything else.”

 

“I don’t understand.” I looked at him, utterly shocked. “You enjoyed it, didn’t you? I had fun too…doesn’t that make us acquaintances at the very least?”

 

“Dara…” Jiyong chuckled, but not in his usual way. It is cold and sadistic. “I’m sorry that I made it seem as if I meant well. I honestly didn’t. We were never friends, why start now?” He held his head high, his cool eyes looking down at me. It made me feel lower than an insect. “It was set at childhood, Dara. How could you have not learned?” He sighed. “I am the popular kid, you were the outcast. It was like that then, it remains the same now. The only tie I have with you is that our parents are friends.”

 

I shook my head slowly. Jiyong is mean, but he would never say such senseless things. He is a prankster, but he isn’t CRUEL. He often joked with me. As of now, he sounded dead serious.

 

“How can I make this clearer to you, Dara?” He sighed again. “We are from different worlds. We will never be friends. The only reason I’m around you is because I have no choice.”

 

“But…you helped me so many times…” I finally had the courage to bring it up.

 

“Why do you think that is, Dara?” He sneered. “My mother would kill me if I didn’t look out for you! Have some common sense, I’m a jerk, remember? I don’t care about anybody else but myself.”

 

I felt tears forming in my eyes. “I don’t believe you!” I raised my voice, trying to stand up to him. Truth is; I felt so small and weak.

 

He crossed his arms and stood up straight, easily towering over me. “Dara, reality is a sad state…” he said as he took a step towards me, I am only half an inch apart at most. “We’re just too different. If I had been born a commoner, it would’ve probably worked out better. But I’m sorry that you had to take that role instead.” He looked at his watch. “Anyways, I’ve got to go. I need to go hang out with my group. I’m already late, thanks to you. Bye.” He carelessly brushed past me.

 

I stayed glued to the spot. What just happened? The sound of my tears dripping on to the floor caused me to regain focus. Jiyong is already out of sight.

 

“Hey…” Tabi’s voice broke the silence.

 

I turned around, seeing his worried expression. I started bawling because it only reminded me of Jiyong, and I didn’t even know why.

 

“It’s okay…” he patted me gently on the back. “I’m here…”

 

Tabi had the most soothing voice…it usually made me feel better right away.

‘Why isn’t it working now…?’ I asked myself tearfully. ‘How come…the only person that I want to hear those words from…is Jiyong?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~A few hours later~

 

I am now sitting on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. Tabi had other things to attend to, so he simply dropped me off at home. I didn’t mind, I wanted to be alone anyways. I kept replaying Jiyong’s words over and over again.

How can he suddenly change so much?

 

“The only tie I have with you is that our parents are friends.”

 

“If I had been born a commoner, it would’ve probably worked out better. But I’m sorry that you had to take that role instead.”

 

How can he say such hurtful things? These words were harsh, even for Jiyong. “He didn’t even sound as if he was joking…” I whispered. I sat up abruptly. I couldn’t bear it anymore. I had to go see him.

 

“I’m going out, mom!” I threw on my coat and rushed outdoors. “I’ll be back for dinner!” I sprinted my way to Jiyong’s mansion and knocked like crazy.

 

“Dara…what brings you here?” A servant I recognized answered the door.

 

“I need to talk to Jiyong, please!”

 

“But…he hasn’t returned yet…”

 

“I’ll wait for him.” I stepped into the house and made your way to the living room.

 

“But…” the servant stopped as I planted myself on the couch and refused to leave. “I’ll bring you some tea.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~Hours later~

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Where is he?’ I tapped my finger on the couch impatiently. It has been hours and he still hasn’t returned.

 

“Dara…perhaps you would like me to leave a message-”

 

“No thanks. I’ll wait.” I took out my cell phone and told my mom that I am going to be late. She promised to keep some food warm for me.

 

Suddenly, I heard sound—it is footsteps approaching the door. I shot up and raced towards the door. My hand reached out for the door knob, but the door swung open too quickly and slammed me right in the face. I landed on the floor.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

That voice…

 

I looked up with hopeful eyes. He sounded just like the way he always did.

“Jiyong…?”

 

“What are you doing here?” He repeated in a sterner tone, his expression grew annoyed.

 

I tried to speak, but I couldn’t. The person before me is not Jiyong.

 

“Well?”

 

I continued to stare at him.

 

“Whatever.” He threw his coat aside and walked past me. “Stay there if you want.”

 

I gasped as I turned to him. He is heading for the kitchen. I caught up with him and grabbed his arm.

 

“What the-”

 

I slapped him. “WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?” I pushed him back. “YOU HEARTLESS JERK.” He looked at me indifferently. This only made me angrier, and I slapped him again. “Why are you being like this?” I tried to calm myself down.

 

“Being like what? This is how I am.” He is obviously frustrated.

 

“NO.” I shoved him. “You were a jerk, Jiyong. You were a conceited, airheaded, pompous jerk. But you weren’t ruthless. What in the world happened to you?!”

 

“Nothing.” He stated.

 

“Liar.” I glared at him. “You must have a reason. It better be a darn good one too, because-”

 

“I got tired of you.” He finally said.

 

“Tired of me…?”

 

“Yes…you…AND your selfish ways. You’re such a cold-hearted person, Dara.” He grinned uncaringly.

 

“…what do you mean?” I felt as if my anger as being drained out of me.

 

“People do things for you, and you repay them with doubt.” He glared at me.

 

“Are you still mad about that hospital incident? Look, I’m sorry! I’ll never doubt you again-”

 

“You’re right. You won’t because I won’t have anything to do with you.”

 

I looked at him in disbelief. I couldn’t muster up the strength to say anything.

 

“You’re such a fool to think that I had forgiven you, Dara. As I’ve mentioned today at school, I do all this because my mother would have my head if I didn’t look out for you. Even if that’s the case, I would think you should be grateful.”

 

“I was-”

 

“No, you weren’t which is why I suggested that amusement park idea. It was a free time for me, no money, and no worries. Plus, you owed it all to me. Why not?”

 

“Jiyong…” I tried to stand still, but I am shaking.

 

“I would never befriend someone like you. You wouldn’t last by yourself.” He turned away, that is the final blow.

 

I wanted to retaliate, but what he said did hold some truth. Jiyong is the best example. However, I am not about to admit it in this situation. “Fine.” I said as loudly as I could. “I’m sorry for wasting your time then.” I tried to keep my voice steady, but it is becoming harder by the second. I ran out the door.

 

“Wait!” I heard a servant call, but I am too embarrassed to face them, so I simply kept running. Tears were already streaming down my cheeks.

 

“Honey, I have so food-”

 

“I’m not hungry, mom! Thanks anyways!” I hid my face from view upon reaching home and went straight for my room. I bawled into the covers and remained like this for hours. Then, I begin to furiously scribble on papers.

 

I HATE HIM.

 

JERK.

 

I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM.

 

I CAN’T STAND HIM.

 

HE .

 

HE HAS BIPOLAR DISORDER.

 

“You stupid, good for nothing, crazy…” I muttered anything that came to mind as I wrote things down.

 

Suddenly, I remembered the first list I made about him when I am comparing him to Tabi.

 

“Sweet.”

 

I remembered that word I had put down for him. I went to the drawers and fished it out. I unfolded the crumpled piece of paper and looked at the list once again. He only had that one good thing on his list, and I had even crossed it out. Everything else is negative, yet I still couldn’t hate him. Perhaps I DID hate him, but now?

 

I sighed as I dropped my pen and the papers. This is pointless. I knew that I couldn’t hate him NOW after all he’s done. I shook my head as I went through the papers. It was all lies. Just then, I realized something about each of the line. None of the lines had his name. Jiyong was always referred to as ‘he’.

 

‘I can’t write down his name…’ I thought as a tear made its way to the corner of my mouth. I just couldn’t link his name with those statements.

 

“I can’t…I just can’t.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------

hides!