XVIII

J.E.R.K.

18

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

"OH MY GOD, YOU'RE KIDDING!" Yoona squealed, nearly causing me to choke on my food. "HE ASKED YOU OUT?!"

 

"I knew I should've just stuck with the 'he's a new student, he needs a tutor to help him catch on all the missing work' excuse..." I muttered. Although, I doubt that it would have worked. My grades weren't bad, but for tutor material? They were a bit off.

 

"So, he really asked you out?" Yoona asked again, after calming down a bit.

 

"Like I've been trying to tell you for the 5th time, it was NOT a date!"

 

"Then what was it?"

 

"A discussion."

 

"About what?"

 

"That is personal."

 

"AHA, I KNEW IT! You two were ON A DATE!" Yoona chirped.

 

"ARGH...think what you want..." I covered my face with my hands. There were times where I wished that Yoona could be less energetic and more...silent.

 

Dong Won hadn't come to school today. He is smart. He probably knew that it'd be all commotion struck since him apparently, asked me out for a 'date'. Unlike him however, I couldn't afford to miss school.

 

I ignored the glances and snickers that followed me as I made my way down the hallway. I am sure that it is all going to pass. Heh, isn’t that always the case with gossips? I finished off the remaining of my lunch and got ready for class.

Upon reaching the classroom, I am surprised to find Dong Won unpacking his bag.

 

"..Dong Won?"

 

"Hello to you too." Dong Won smiled as he started taking out some paper for today's notes.

 

"...Weren't you absent today?"

 

"Well yes, I was. I had some business to attend to in the morning; therefore, I am unable to make it to school."

 

"Oh...I see. Do you need my notes to copy down what you missed?"

 

"Ah, that'd be good. You don't mind, do you?"

 

"Haha, of course not! You've done WAY more for me than I can ever do for you!" I waved my hands around in an exaggerated manner. I felt really happy deep down. He helped me so much. I am happy to be able to repay him in some way, even if it is in the smallest of favors.

 

"Alright class! Let's get started!" My super friendly Biology teacher cheered. Miss Hyori is a young and energetic person who manages to make class fun. She is my favorite teacher in the whole entire school.

 

"Haha, isn't Miss Hyori just the coolest?" I whispered to Dong Won. He smiled and nodded in return. The girls glared in jealousy, I had expected that. What I didn't notice is how Jiyong is on the other side of the room, also glaring.

 

"Today, we will be starting the class off with a little debate!" Miss Hori explained while she started writing on the board. "The topic is 'Do you think that the theory of evolution actually works?' Or in other words, do you believe that it has actually occurred. I will give you all a few minutes to write down some points that support your side of the argument. Be sure to write down at least 2-3 points!"

 

After a few minutes, Miss Hyori looked around the room. Her eyes landed on Dong Won. "Dong Won, since you're new and haven't really had any chance to participate in any of our class activities, why don't you start off with your side?" She asked warmly.

 

Dong Won gave me a bored look and then reluctantly stood up. I took it that he probably had done this a lot in the past. I am pretty sure that he is involved in some business already, even though he is young, his behavior and speech surpassed even those that were supposed to be more mature than him.

 

"In my opinion, I don't believe that the theory of evolution actually took place. I think it's all just an idea that was built on in time until it eventually made sense."

 

"And you’re supporting evidence?" Some random person in the classroom asked. It is a male voice, not surprising. The boys in this class have tried many ways to try and make Dong Won look bad in front of the girls. So far, they've failed everything.

 

"One of the major points of supporting evidence would be religion. If you're going to say that ideas such as evolution don't just pile together to form a theory, what about religion? Today, we have many different religions that suggest so many other ways of how the Earth came to be. I'm saying that there are many possibilities for the present, and we cannot exclude them."

 

The girls were beaming. The boys were fuming.

 

"I disagree." The sound of someone standing up from their desk is heard. I turned my head, and gasped when I saw that it is Jiyong.

 

"Oh? Please do continue, Jiyong. I'm curious as to what you have to support your argument."

 

"If you're saying that the evolution theory was built on in a period of time until it eventually made sense, then how come it fits so perfectly together? This is the foundation of all living things we're talking about here, and how they've evolved after years and years of adaptations and such. Even if religion does play a role in this whole existence, I highly doubt that it'd have such influence, that certain species of animals die out completely, natural hazards occur and sicknesses spread. Those 3 listed are all examples that can impact how the outcome shows, because certain species build resistance, while others do not. Certain species survive, while others die out. Natural hazards wipe out living things, but those that adapt, survive. You get what I mean?" Jiyong concludes. The girls of course, stare. The boys applauded for Jiyong at this time, since their envy towards Dong Won probably rivaled his own.

 

"Yes, I understand, Jiyong." Dong Won chuckled lightly. It seems that Jiyong is the only one who actually took this debate seriously, because Dong Won seemed much laid back. "Although, I think you may have misunderstood my point. At the very beginning, I didn't actually state any supporting evidence; I merely talked about my own thinking. Evolution was a theory that based a lot on what was seen, and not the actual process of how it came to be. I think we're all pretty much fools controlled by some unknown and powerful force. We can only judge from what we see, we don't have much else to base it on. I think certain theories are even based on assumptions."

 

Jiyong snickered. "Are you avoiding the subject now? Are you unable to defend your side?"

 

"No, I can defend it. I just hope that you're ready to explain my next point."

 

"Bring it on," Jiyong challenged.

 

"Let's just say that the evolution theory really did happen. There is a belief that humans came from primates. If that really did happen, why are the primates still around?"

 

"Psh, that's easy. Do you actually believe that all primates turn into humans? Of course not, probably only a certain type-"

 

"Well, then why isn't it occurring anymore? Now, we see primates to be the closest to humans, since we were supposedly evolved from them. So why isn't it happening now?"

 

"That's because-"

 

"ALRIGHTY, class is over!" Miss Hori announced. "Thanks to Dong Won and Jiyong for bringing such a good debate!" Miss Hyori clapped, bringing in a round of applause.

 

Dong Won bowed slightly. Jiyong rolled his eyes in vain and stomped out of the classroom. He probably knows deep down that he has competition.

 

"That is awesome, Don Won!" I patted him on the shoulder. It is about time Jiyong received some sense of defeat. He is too used to getting everything he wants.

 

"Haha, not really." Dong Won shook his head modestly.

 

"Psh, what are you talking about?! You were great! You should've seen Jiyong's face, he is actually struggling!"

 

Dong Won smiled why shaking his head once again. 'He seems so perfect...' I thought to myself. 'If only Jiyong had his personality- wait! Who cares about Jiyong? DONG WON is WAY better.' I happily followed him to next class. On the way, Yoona gave me the 'HA, I KNEW you two had something going on' look, I stuck my tongue out at her as I caught up with Don Won completely.

 

Throughout the whole day, it is like the fight to the death between Jiyong and Dogn Won. Jiyong being the one that is bringing all the competition, Dong Won being the poor fellow that didn't have a choice but to accept. Usually, it is very close between the two. The same events happened for all the classes except for physical education, Dogn Won went and talked to the teacher, and then went to sit on a bench to read.

 

I ran over to him. "Hey, why aren't you coming? Are you sick?"

 

"No. I'm just not into sports. I'm not very good at it, so I gave up." He replied.

 

"Why give up? I , but hey, I'm still out there!"

 

"Haha, I'm more of a book person anyways, so it doesn't make much of a difference for me."

 

"Oh...okay then. Well, I'll see you afterwards then?"

 

He smiled and nodded.

 

The whole time, the thing about Dong Won not taking part in sports bothered me. Sure, we can't be good at everything, but I am CERTAIN that Dong Won worked out. I didn't want to be a ert, but even beneath the formal clothes that he wore, I can see an outline of his body. I am sure that the muscles were there.

 

When class ended, I saw that Don Won isn’t there. I panicked and asked the teacher. The teacher told me that Dong Won had left early due to an emergency.

 

'Oh...well I guess that's understandable, I mean...I guess that means he didn't ditch me...' I thought to myself quietly. I am a bit sad, but it is an emergency right? It probably couldn't be helped...'I know, I'll visit him after school!...But I don't want to seem needy...ARGH, but he could be in trouble, he is my friend, so I should show some concern...'

 

I prepared my backpack and is about to leave when I bumped into Jiyong.

 

"We need to talk." He demanded.

 

"Uh...no. YOU need to talk. I don't." I said as I tried to advance.

 

"If you don't talk with me, I still have your belongings at my house. I bet I can find a few things there to share with the school." He smirked.

 

"You WOULDN'T..." I warned him as I balled my fists.

 

"You want to take the chances?"

 

"Not really..."

 

"Then it's settled. WE'RE going to talk."

 

I sighed impatiently and followed him. This is going to be a long day.

 

"So, what did you want to talk about?" I finally decided to ask after a few moments of silence. The two of us were now at a park. It somewhat surprised me. In my mind, the park and Jiyong just don’t match.

 

"About that...that guy. I think his name is Dong Won or whatever...?"

 

"Oh yea, I have something ask you too, and it's related to him. What was up with you today? You kept trying to compete with him!"

 

"Hn, is not. He just happened to go against all my beliefs."

 

"...Beliefs?"

 

"Yea. For example, the evolution theory."

 

"Well okay, I give you that one. So uh...what beliefs did you have in Math class?"

 

"I didn't try to compete with him in Math class."

 

"You did too. And haha, you just admitted to being competitive towards him."

 

Jiyong glowered at me menacingly, but didn't say anything.

 

"I guess I can't really blame you. You're so used to winning; you've forgotten how it feels like to have someone be just as good as you. In other words, I think you've missed out on a lot of challenges."

 

"...What are you saying?"

 

"Well, I guess I'm saying that Dong Won might be good for you. He's equal to you in almost everything."

 

Jiyong looked deep in thought. I took that he is actually taking what I said to heart.

 

"Oh hey...about that dance, you're going with Yoona right?"

 

"The dance...? Oh that thing. I don't know."

 

"Well...I'm not going to make you go with her. But if you are, I wish you both the best!"

 

Jiyong shrugged. "Thanks."

 

"No problem." I looked at my watch. "Oh shoot! I am supposed to go check up on Dong Won and see if he's alright!"

 

"I see. Well, are you going to come and pick up your stuff after you visit him?"

 

"Hm...yea I think so. Thanks!" I waved and then took off, not once looking back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong's P.O.V.

 

 

 

"Yes, that went REAL well, Kwon Jiyong." I cussed at myself as I called my driver to pick me up. I am going to offer Dara a ride to lover boy's house, but seeing how she totally brushed off, I didn't mention it.

 

"Well, I guess I'm saying that Don Won might be good for you. He's equal to you in almost everything."

 

"What does she know? Equal? Heck, he's not even half of who I am."

 

I threw my backpack on my bed and jumped on my couch and closed my eyes.

 

"Oh hey...about that dance, you're going with Yoona right?"

 

"Well...I'm not going to make you go with her. But if you are, I wish you both the best!"

 

Did she really mean that? Why is she so desperate in wanting me to go with Yoona? To be honest, I’ve nearly forgotten about the dance due to all the things that's been happening. Maybe this dance could take my mind off of things a bit...

 

"...Maybe I should just do what she's been telling me the whole time...go to the dance with Yoona." I looked at the ceiling, dazed. "...Perhaps if Yoona is happy...she'll be happy too..."

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

"Business problems?" I asked as I after thanking the servant for bringing me a cup of water.

 

"Yes. A few errors came up in the system...I am consulted to answer a few questions."

 

"Ah, good. Now I know that you're alright."

 

"Of course I'm alright. What did you think is going on?"

 

"Well...I guess I've just become a bit nervous after this whole Tabi incident...I guess I'm scared of losing another close friend. If anything were to happen, I want to be there for them."

 

An amused expression beheld itself on Dong Won's flawless face.

 

"What's so funny?" I inquired, slightly confused.

 

"Nothing really. I just found your actions ridiculous..."

 

"Ridiculous? How so?"

 

"Ridiculously cute." He finished, as he moved a strand of his silver hair from his radiant blue eyes.

 

"Oh...well uh...thanks." I stuttered.

 

"Come, I want to show you something." He said suddenly, which caught me off guard.

 

He led me to a balcony.

 

"Wow, that's a pretty view!" I exclaimed as I looked around. I felt as if I am a princess in a castle.

 

"...You always did love high places." Dong Won spoke softly.

 

"Haha, yes I did. It-"

 

"Made you feel like you're closer to the sky? Well actually...made you feel like flying."

 

"...What are you?" I backed away from Dong Won, shocked. "How do you know all this? Have you been checking up on me?"

 

Dong Won laughed while leaning against the balcony. "No. I knew all this beforehand."

 

"...So you're a spy?"

 

Dong Won sighed. "You haven't changed at all, Dara. You and your crazy imaginations never ceased to amaze me."

 

"...Now you're just not making sense."

 

"It's been a long time, Dee."

 

"Okay, now you know my childhood nickname, what are you - oh my god..."

 

"Figured it out?"

 

"...Y-y-you're a mind reader..."

 

Dong Won's expression turned hopeless. "...I'm not really Dogn Won. I am Tabi all along."

 

"...Oh okay, haha, could've just told me - WHATTT??!!"

 

"...I'm Tabi."

 

"...W-why did you lie to me in the beginning then?!" I started screaming as tears began to mask my cheeks almost immediately. "IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE? BECAUSE IF IT IS, you can see that I'm NOT laughing!"

 

"...I didn't trust you..."

 

"...You're the one to talk. I shouldn't have trusted YOU altogether! I knew all of you rich people are all the same. You think making fun of those lower in status is funny, no? Well guess what? We're ALL HUMANS, WE HAVE FEELINGS TOO!" I slowly sunk to the cold ground as I slammed my fist on the tiles while screeching and choking on my own tears.

 

Dong Won, now known as Tabi slowly knelt down to my level. "...I couldn't trust anybody. You see...I'm only...partially Tabi..."

 

"Oh what now? You're going to lie about that too? First you say you were Tabi, now you're only PARTIALLY Tabi?!"

 

"...Please...let me explain."

 

I tried to silence my sobs, but I refused to look at him. "Fine."

 

"After the accident...I am hospitalized for a long time. My foster parents were getting very worried and demanded the doctor for the best way to help me. The doctor then suggested this surgery...the chances of success is high, but there were chances of side effects because my injuries were mostly severe and around the brain, which is very dangerous to work with..."

 

I still didn't talk. But I didn't feel as mad anymore. Maybe he had a good reason. He may have lied, but I knew that Dong Won/Tabi is not a bad person.

 

"The side effects were...that I may lose memories. I may not even remember certain people. Despite the risk, my parents paid for the surgery, and of course, I went through with it. For the most part, the surgery was a success..."

 

"Then why did you lie to me...?"

 

"Because I didn't remember the memories I shared with you. That is why I asked all those questions they were actually more for me so that I can remember the memories I've had of you..."

 

"...Go on."

 

"Well...all I can say now is thank you. Thanks to you I remember a majority of the memories we've shared. It's good to have them back. When Hyun got lost it was a coincidence. I guess fate played a role in bringing us together again."

 

There is an awkward silence. I am about to say something when he moved closer to me and wrapped his arms around me in a loving and comforting hug.

 

I immediately hugged him back. I held on tightly, as if afraid that he is going to vanish like he did years ago.

 

"...The other reason that I couldn't manage to contact you is because my parents from then on held a grudge on your family. They lied about me being dead and blamed it on your family and cut off all contact then.“ He continued quietly as he locked his arms around me a bit tighter. He gently kissed me on the cheek.

 

Suddenly, a series of flashed images came to my mind. I held my head in pain. In my images, I saw my younger self crying in the arms of that same little boy. He appears to be saying something, but I couldn't make out as to what he is saying. The image quickly changed to me hugging the boy tighter, and him giving me an innocent kiss on the cheek.

 

"...I'm sorry for being mad earlier. I didn't know..."

 

"That's alright...I probably would've reacted the same way."

 

I suddenly felt worried, "What about your parents...?"

 

"They're currently out of the country for business affairs. I'll slowly get around this issue..."

 

"...How can I help?"

 

"For now, just believe in me." Tabi smiled. I could've sworn that I’ve melted considerably inside. His smile would make even the most beautiful angels green with envy.

 

"Would you like to go inside now? It's pretty late now, I'll tell the maids to fix up dinner for us..."

 

"Naw, let's go out and eat. I have a lot of things to catch with on you!"

 

Tabi laughed genially. From when I met he to now, this laugh is by far the most natural and real. It is as if he hadn't been happy for a long time.

 

"Oh and I have another question, Tabi..."

 

"Yes?"

 

"...If you've lost your memories, how did you know it was me? I mean, I don't look any different from a lot of people out there so I'd say it is difficult?"

 

"Not really."

 

"Oh? Why is that?"

 

"I said I lost my memories of you not my feelings for you. While my memories were kept in my brain, my feelings for you were locked away deeply in my heart. And as some would say the heart never lies."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------

I need to revive my DARAGON heart!