XXII

J.E.R.K.

XXII

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

I face paled. My hands shook as they reached for the folded note in my locker. This was the fifth note this week. I had learned that the notes never meant anything good.

 

I had been receiving anonymous threat messages. I knew that I am not all that popular in school, but I have never thought that someone would hate me as much as to send me these. I breathed deeply and opened the note. It said:

 

You are a disgusting excuse of a human being. From the moment I met you, I hated you. You put up a facade of innocence and get away with everything. I hope that you die in excruciating pain…even better; I hope that I am the one causing it.

 

I frowned. I didn’t actually find these messages fearful…the only thing that disturbed I am the possibility that the person who wrote this note knows me quite well. I thought about the people close to me, but none seemed fit to commit such an act since not many made the effort to befriend me. For those who did, I couldn’t imagine them doing anything to hurt me.

 

“Hey Dara, what’re you looking at?” Tabi’s voice popped up behind me.

 

 

”Ooh, nothing!” I quickly hid the note behind me. “I was just uh…checking to see if I forgot anything!” I hadn’t told anybody about these messages. I don’t think to be anything serious in the beginning, but now; I am starting to have second thoughts.

 

“Uh huh…” Tabi rolled his eyes in disbelief. “Now tell me what you were looking at.” He tried to look behind me.

 

”It’s really nothing!” I squeaked. I didn’t want to show them to Tabi or anyone else just yet. ‘It shouldn’t be anything I can’t handle…right?’ Plus, I don’t want to burden anyone.

 

“I’ll just take that...” Tabi slipped the note out of my hands while I am pondering. “Thank you.”

 

“Hey!” I tried to take it back, but he easily held me off.

 

Tabi’s eyes scanned over the note. His expression went from relaxed to grave. “Dara…what are these about?”

 

“I don’t know…” I mumbled. “I just started getting them recently. I didn’t want to tell anyone because I thought it isn’t anything too serious…”

 

“Someone’s threatening you…aren’t you scared?”

 

“Well…not in the beginning…”

 

“Now you are, right?”

 

“Yes…I mean, I don’t know. Why would someone hate me like this? I don’t really get in the way of anything…do I?”

 

“I don’t know.” Tabi folded the note and tucked it away in his pocket.

 

“You’re keeping it?”

 

“Yes. I want to find out who it is.”

 

“You can do that?”

 

”It’s someone in the school. That narrows it down enough. Some simple investigation will do.”

 

I am still surprise, even knowing he is rich. ‘I’d never make it as a rich person…’

 

“Anyways, I’ll tell you when something comes up.” He smiles reassuringly.

 

”Okay.” I smiled back.

 

He hesitated for a second, looking as if he had more to say. However, he shook it off with another smile and walked off.

 

During the next few days, I continue finding the same threatening messages. Each time, they got more graphic with descriptions about how this person wishes to see me die. As of now, I tried to find distractions and hope that Tabi would soon find who is behind all this. I am home alone because my mother has found a job that required her to go on trips. I had considered going back to the Kwon residence because it felt safer and my things were still there, but I didn’t want to trouble anyone or dwell with the people there in misery at Jiyong’s current condition.

 

I lock all the windows and doors and grab a phone to put in my room. I place a bat by my side and even went as far as to have knife, just in case worst comes to worst. I felt paranoid but being in a house all alone, receiving threatening letters…it all just feels so much like a typical horror movie where the main character dies because he or she thought it is a joke and didn’t pay attention to it. “I’m not going to be like one of them…” I comforted myself. “I’m all prepared.”

 

Suddenly, my cell phone rang. I gasped but calmed down almost immediately. ‘A conversation could do me some good…’ I thought and happily answered. “Hello?”

 

“Did you read the notes?” A male’s voice sounded on the line.

 

”…what?” I started to panic. How did this stranger know about this?

 

“Did you read the notes?” The voice repeated calmly.

 

“W-who are you?” I held the cell phone tighter out of terror.

 

“I’m the one who sent them.”

 

“B-but why? Do I even know you?” The person’s voice didn’t sound familiar at all. The only boys I’ve ever really had contact with were Jiyong and Tabi…and this voice didn’t belong to either of them.

 

“Yes. You do know me…but I think that I know you better than you’ve ever known me.”

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“My name does not concern you. I’ve only called to inform you that this is far from over. From now on…not only will you receive more notes, you will be getting phone calls too. I hope that you look forward to it.”

“Why?” I shouted. “You’re not making any sense! What have I ever done to you?”

 

“More than you’ll ever know.” With a click, the call ended.

 

I couldn’t find any form of caller ID. I am in the midst of pure horror when I remember Tabi. He is trying to help me track down this person. Thus, I decided to give him a call.

 

”You’re getting phone calls now too?”

 

”Yes.” I mumbled my voice barely audible.

 

“Pack up, I’m coming over.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I’m picking you up. Bring your cell phone; we’ll track down the person by voice.”

 

“But-“

 

“I’ll be there in a few minutes. Be quick.” With that, he hung up.

 

I couldn’t deny the sensation of relief that swept over my body the second he said those words; surely being with Tabi will make me feel much more secured.

 

“Hey…” I tugged at Tabi’s sleeve.

 

“…yes?”

 

“Thanks.”

 

He gently smiled as he put an arm around my shoulders. “Don’t worry about it. The only thing that concerns me right now is that you’re safe.”

 

I blushed as he gave my shoulders a soft squeeze and pulled me towards him gently so that I am leaning against him. I could feel his warmth radiating off onto I and his scent slowly drowning my senses. Soon, I drifted off to sleep.

 

I awoke to something fluttering across my forehead. I slowly opened my eyes to see Tabi calmly watching me as he withdrew his hand which a few seconds ago, had brushed upon my face. “Hi.” I said as I leaned up.

 

“Hey.” He whispered as he leaned forward and his lips met my cheek.

 

I started heating up due to embarrassment. “Uh…hi to you too!” I know that my reaction didn’t fit the situation, but I didn’t know what to say.

 

He chuckled as he leaned back into his chair. “As I said before, we’re going to use voice to identify this person. The reason you’re here is because I want to hear the person’s voice and record it…and then track them down.”

 

“Okay…”

 

”In the meantime…just keep your cell phone close and well…feel free to explore the house. I have more work to do…so if you have any problems, feel free to talk to any of the servants.”

 

“Alright, thanks.”

 

He nodded and started for the door. Just as he is about to open the door, he turned to me once again. “Hey Dara?”

 

“Yes?"

 

“Don’t do this again in the future, okay?”

 

“Sorry…but do what?”

 

“You made me find out about your problems rather than telling me them directly...” he sighed. “You made me worry. Don’t ever do that again, okay?”

 

I am caught off-guard as he looked back at me with a pained expression. “Okay.”

 

“Good.” He smiled one last time before completely exiting the room.

 

I lay in bed for a few more minutes before going out to explore. It is then that I observed the room I am in closely. The walls had scenery paintings on them. The bed and the windows were huge. The curtains had a pinkish tint and were made of silk. The floor is tiled with beautiful wood patterns and was smooth with no dents. The room even had its own bathroom. “Wow…I wish my room was like this…” I murmured to myself.

 

I cautiously stepped out of the room and peeked around. There were no people in sight. Quietly, I began to stroll down the hallways. This place reminded me very much of Jiyong’s home. “I envy you rich people…” I muttered as I observe each room. I didn’t want to open closed doors just in case I am invading privacy so I only looked in rooms with open doors, but they were all enough to make me stare in awe. All the rooms were very elegantly designed.

 

Almost all the rooms were the same in the sense of decoration…but one room caught my attention. I enter a room where there were many framed pictures of a boy with silver hair and with a single glance, I knew it is Tabi. The eyes, the angelic face, the pallid tone of skin…everything is the same? Just then, I realized something very odd about the pictures. The pictures all portrayed Tabi playing sports. I had remembered Tabi telling me that he is more into books. The pictures were a contradiction to his words as I see Tabi with medals and certificates in some and others with him in action. It is evident that Tabi took part in a variety of sports.

 

“May I help you, Miss?

 

I turned around to find one of the servants. I recognized him from my first visit. “Hello sir. Well…would you mind answering a few questions?”

 

The servant looked slightly uneasy, but nodded compliantly. “What is on your mind, Miss?”

 

“These pictures…I thought Tabi didn’t really like sports?”

 

“Well…he did like sports when he was young.”

 

“But you don’t just suddenly change your mind about liking something.”

 

“That is true. Something did happen to change Master’s preference in activities…”

 

“It seems that he really did adore sports…would you mind telling me what happened?”

 

“I’m not sure if that would be the best-“

 

“Please!” I looked at the man earnestly. Tabi is probably hiding something from me.

 

“Well…you see…” the servant sighed as he grabbed a chair for himself and gestured me to find a seat somewhere. “Master was a very energetic child. He was a diehard sports fan and he had an aptitude for it.”

 

I frowned. Everything sounded perfect so far. I didn’t see any reason as to why Tabi would give up sports.

 

“Master had to give up sports due to severe injuries.” He gave me a firm look. “Master received those injuries while saving you.”

 

“WHAT?” I screeched and shot up. “I-“

 

“When Master saved you from that truck, he was very seriously harmed. I had taken care of Master ever since he was adopted into this place…and was also there when he was brought to the hospital. Apparently, Master had gotten a few broken ribs, torn quite a few parts of his muscles, damaged his skull and lost too much blood.”

 

I am speechless and numb. The only sense I had left is my sense of touch...as I felt a tear glide its way down my cheek.

 

“Master had never quite regained his health…which is why he’s usually pale. He is very vulnerable to the cold and cannot move with too much force. His head has also become very sensitive to friction…thus we must be very careful with him. He has to take supplements at times to give his immune system a boost.” The man looked down sadly and sighed. “That is the reason Master gave up sports…he simply can’t go along with it anymore. It’s a real shame…Master would have made it into nationals with his skills.”

 

I broke down and started sobbing. The reason that Tabi had to give up sports is because of me. This must also be the reason as to why he never brought it up. I am overwhelmed by guilt as I want to ran off to find Tabi but the Butler stop me.

“Miss Park don’t feel too much guilt about what happened. Past is past, you were only a child back then and you couldn’t possibly have stopped it. The reason that Master avoided this truth is because he wanted you to be happy…”

 

“Thank you…” I managed to say through all my sniffing. “I’m off to find him now…I need to talk to him.”

 

I wandered through the hallways, asking servants where Tabi is. When I finally found him, I saw him hard at work with papers scattered all around his work desk. He seemed deeply focused and solemn. However, when he raised his eyes to meet mine, his expression softened. “Dara, how is your day?”

 

The second I heard his voice, the tears exploded from my eyes and cascaded down my face.

 

“Dara…what happened?” He instantly stood up and started walking towards me.

 

I ran towards him and hugged him tightly. “I’m SO SORRY! I DIDN’T KNOW I WAS THE CAUSE OF ALL YOUR PAIN!” I screamed as I held him as close as I could.

 

“Dara…wha-“

 

“IF I HADN’T RAN TOWARDS THAT TRUCK…you wouldn’t be like this…”

 

“Be like what…?” His arms wrapped around me loosely as he tried to calm me down.

 

“You wouldn’t be sick…you wouldn’t be so sensitive to the cold…you wouldn’t have given up sports!” As the last few words left my mouth, I began sobbing uncontrollably.

 

“So you found out…” he whispered. “I should’ve kept those pictures hidden.”

 

“No…you shouldn’t have. I’m glad that I found out the truth. Now…I can make it up to you. I owe you too much.”

 

“Make it up to me…?”

 

“Yes. I promise that I’m never leaving your side!” My arms flung around him in another embrace. He smiled softly and returned my affection.

 

“Well…you should get to sleep. Tomorrow, we’ll resume with the research…since we’ve gotten no calls today.

 

Okay?”

 

“Okay.” I waved to him and left the room. Today is quite a thrill, and I needed the sleep to recover.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tabi’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

 

 

My smile disappeared as Dara left the room. I returned to my desk in order to resume with work. “A promisw is meant to be fulfilled without fail.” I said to myself as I closed my eyes. “Don’t get my hopes up, Dara…” I slowly wiped a stray tear that has found its way to my lips. “Don’t make promises that you can’t keep.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------

:)