XXV

J.E.R.K.

XXV

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

I returned to the hospital with a heavy heart. I wanted to be around Yoona for a while longer--since it is the last time I’d ever see her again, but she insisted upon me returning to the hospital before Jiyong begins to worry. “I have to pack up anyways…” she had said. “My parents are expecting me back as soon as possible.”

 

“I’m not going to force my opinions on you. But…do what your heart says. Don’t hide any feelings…don’t ignore them…just…do what they say. Or else...the consequences will be more than just heartbreaks.”

 

My mind echoed Yoona’s words as I took out a plain white envelope. When Yoona said that she had something for me, this is it.

 

“It’s a letter that had taken me the longest time to write.” She smiled as she slid it across the table to me. “I’m not very good with confrontations as you can tell…but this letter will hopefully deliver my thoughts to you without fail.”

 

With eager anticipation, I opened the envelope and unfolded the mysterious letter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dear Dara,

 

My time here has been enjoyable…and it’s all thanks to you. The sleepovers, the parties, and the silly chats we’ve had about the most random things…I’m going to miss it all.

 

You had always been very different. I don’t mean it in a bad way. You’re viewed as an outcast among the many students at our school, but you shone like the brightest star in the galaxy. You’re kind, funny and dependable. Keep that in mind, and never let anyone tell you otherwise.

 

To be honest, I’ve always been very envious of you because of your closeness with Jiyong. I’ve held back for so long, but once Jiyong was sent to the hospital…I saw it as an opportunity to release everything that I’ve oppressed over time. I’m very sorry...and I hope that even if you don’t forgive me, you won’t hold back in opening up to people. I’m not going to lie; there are probably many people out there that hate you. But remember…there are also the people who’d die for you (I’m sure you know who I’m referring to).

 

The one thing I want you to acknowledge from now on…is that someone deeply cares for you. I remember from some of our past conversations, how you stated that you’ll never find a guy because nobody wants you. I hope that this incident has changed your opinion about yourself. There’s a person for everyone, Dara…some perfect matches are just harder to come together because of hidden secrets and lack of communication. Who you choose in the end is up to you, but remember…don’t base your decision on what you think is right, base it on what you want.

 

On a lighter note, while you’re reading this, I’m probably packing like crazy, in preparations for life in England. I’m truly sorry for not telling you beforehand, I was shocked myself! I wish you luck in school, I’ll certainly need it in England!

 

Keep in touch,

 

Yoona

 

 

 

 

I carefully placed the piece of paper back into the envelope and tucked it away safely in my bag. My eyes were still sore from bawling back at the restaurant. I grew tense as I turned to see Jiyong deep in slumber. I twitched with anxiety every time he looked as if he is about to rise awake. ‘How am I going to face him now?’ I panicked as I played with my fingers nervously.

 

“He said someone else has occupied his heart for the longest time…”

 

“…she is the only one he wanted to protect.”

 

‘I can’t do this!’ I shook my head violently and shot up from the couch. ‘I can’t face him after knowing all this! What should I do?!’

 

“What are you doing?”

 

I froze and slowly turned to see Jiyong scratching his neck and yawning, clearly just awoken. He gazed at me in daze, obviously not up to speed. “I’m uh…” I laughed pathetically and tried to think of the right thing to say. “Morning exercises…it’s very…good for the form.” I stated as persuasively as possible and did some random actions I recalled from a television channel that taught yoga.

 

“Uh huh.” Jiyong nodded. “Now tell me, what were you really doing?”

 

“I’m serious.”

 

“Sure.” He snickered but didn’t push any further, much to my relief.

 

I didn’t know how to respond to his comment. Actually, I didn’t know how to act around him anymore. Yoona’s words were permanently engraved into my thoughts. I didn’t know how I feel about Jiyong…I know that I used to hate him for his pranks and insults…but now? After all he’s done? Clearly, it is enough to redeem him. But is it enough for me to be ‘interested’ in him? Can I love someone just because of the things they do for me? That’s not how it went in movies. Tabi…I and him were meant to be; at least that’s what I thought. It is meant to be from childhood…so it should still be that way, right?

 

After all, I’ve promised to never leave his side.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~A few weeks later…~

 

“OH MY GOD THE MIGHTY DRAGON IS BACK! OPPA I LOVE YOU!!!” Some random girl screamed to her friends shamelessly. “LOOK! HE EVEN GOT A COOL NEW JACKET FROM HIS VACATION!”

 

Jiyong’s hospitalization is covered as ‘vacation’ to avoid drama. How is this accomplished? Jiyong had his sources. The students (including Sohee) who nearly killed him ‘mysteriously’ disappeared is how the rumors go in school. The police revealed that it is crime-related, but never gave out any more details than that, probably from Jiyong’s commands. His parents were also there to back him up.

 

All eyes were on Jiyong as he entered the school. Whether they were glares of jealousy or stares of reverie, all attention is on him. It isn’t surprising, seeing as he is wearing one of those fashionable trench coats and expensive combat boots. The trench coat came along with a stylish belt that showed off his figure and the combat boots gave impressive clicks as he strolled across the hallway. In hearing his confident steps, his ‘buddies’ tagged along with him. He briefly acknowledged their presences and kept walking. I am observing all this from afar.

 

‘It seems that he’s back to normal…’ I thought to myself. I couldn’t help but feel slight sadness because I won’t be able to talk to him like I did when I visited him at the hospital. It is weird, but I enjoyed the time I shared with him. At school, both of us had reputations to hold. He is the ‘god’ at school and I am the outcast. With Yoona gone, I felt even more alone.

 

“Hey.” Tabi tapped me on the shoulder.

 

“Oh, hey.” I smiled at Tabi but felt my eyes adverting towards Jiyong.

 

“He’s all better now, eh?”

 

“Ya…” I glanced at Jiyong again.

 

“Well…that means you won’t have to worry anymore.” Tabi smiled weakly. “Let’s get to class.”

 

Classes went by like a blur. I am not actually paying attention to anything. It is evident as Tabi had to nudge me multiple times for the teachers (apparently their voices weren’t appealing enough), I read the wrong page despite the teacher’s order and even brought the wrong textbook to class.

 

“What a day…” I slid against my locker.

 

“I have some business matters to attend to…” Tabi announced reluctantly. “You weren’t very on track today, hopefully you recover from that. I’ll call you later if I have the time…” he paused. “You need a ride...or will you be okay by yourself?”

 

“Oh, I’ll be fine by myself.” I said, almost too enthusiastically. I cringed mentally. ‘That is overly expressed…’

 

Tabi gave me a look of perplexity, but brushed it off with one of his infamous smiles. I waved to him and watched as he left the building. I immediately began thinking of Jiyong and looked around for him. My emotions and wants were contradictory. I am scared of talking to him because I wouldn’t know how to act, but I wanted to see him anyway. I knew that I owed him a day of my time and strangely enough, I look forward to it.

 

“Yo, Dara.” Jiyong’s voice resonated against the walls of the empty hallways. Most of the students have left the building as soon as the bell rang.

 

“Hi…” my heart skipped a beat as I turned to face him. He still held that egotistical expression of his, but his poise is stricken with exhaustion.

 

“Looking for me?”

 

“No…” I bit my lip and avoided his gaze.

 

“Ha, don’t lie. Just admit it, you were worried about me and wanted to talk to me.”

 

“Psh, I checked up on you pretty much every day during your last few days at the hospital. I KNOW you’re alive.”

 

He rolled his eyes agitatedly. “Fine.”

 

“So uh…” my face heated up unintentionally. “That deal?”

 

“Yes.” He smirked. “Have you saved up enough money?”

 

“Uh…hopefully?”

 

“Good, because I want to go to the amusement park. You’re paying for all the rides, the food and whatever else I decide to do on that day.”

 

“Amusement park?” My jaw dropped. I had money, but amusement parks were killer spots for spending money. “What if I don’t have enough?”

 

“You won’t.”

 

“Bu-“

 

“No buts.”

 

“I’m not rich like you, you know?”

 

“Obviously.” He said. “But you owe me.”

 

“Just in case though…what if I don’t-“

 

“Geez, don’t worry.” He laughed at my paled face. “Just bring as much as you can and if you don’t have enough…it’s okay.”

 

“That makes me feel so much better.” My whole face relaxed.

 

”Anyways, how about this weekend?”

 

“Hm…that should be okay.”

“All right then…” he paused and looked at his feet almost shyly, which I secretly found adorable. “Want to walk home now?”

 

“Sure.” I smiled. You realized that all my worries were for nothing. I didn’t have to change the way I acted with Jiyong. I didn’t have to be romantically interested in him to be thankful. I am thankful for what he did, and that is enough. My heart belongs to one person and that is Tabi. I’ve sealed that vow with my words, and I am going to keep it that way.

 

 

 

 

 

~Weekend~

 

When I informed my mom about this day, she literally bounced off the walls and arranged sets of outfits for me to pick, well…I didn’t have much say in it, she threw the ones she liked at me. The outfits she chose for me were all cute and girly clothes that made me look too young.

 

“Oh, but they’re so gorgeous on you, honey!” My mom persisted and held another set before her. “Try this one!”

 

“Aha, no.” I grabbed a few casual pieces of clothing and made what I believed to be the ideal outwear for this event.

 

“But honey that’s not proper for a date!” My mom lectured.

 

“It’s not a date. It’s a hangout.” I corrected while counting my money and packed my bag.

 

“But-“

“Bye mom, I’m going to the park to meet Jiyong. I’ll call you later.” I rushed out the door before she made any other suggestions. I had actually arranged for Jiyong to pick me up at my house, so I hid in a nearby bush to greet him when he comes by.

 

A car pulls by the sidewalk opposite of my house. I hesitantly stood up from my hiding spot. The door opens and revealed Jiyong. I gasped. He looked amazing. He styled his hair slightly differently, it is a bit more spiky than usual, but done wonderfully as it felt like a perfect addition to his flawless face. He wore a fitting black leather jacket and a tight, sleeveless, white shirt on the inside (it actually emphasized his muscles a bit; I can see the outlines because of how it hugged the body). He wears dashing black jeans with chain designs that locked together at the hips and shoes that were simple, but stylish nonetheless. To top it off, he wears a necklace that hung to the point of his collarbones, giving it a sensual touch. I continued to stare as he approached me.

 

“Dara…what-“

 

I am about to say something when I spotted my mom watching from the window. She immediately went for the door.

 

“Ooooh no.” I muttered as I pushed Jiyong towards the car. “Let’s go now, I’ll explain later.”

 

“But I need to tell your mom-“

 

“She knows about where we’re heading to. It’s okay. Just GO!” I pushed Jiyong into the car, jumping in after him. “To the amusement park please!” The driver nodded and were off…to infinity…and BEYOND!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

I will make a special event for this one. :D