XXXI

J.E.R.K.

XXXI

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

“…are you sure it’s safe?” I bit my lip unsurely. Tabi had just called, requesting me to meet him at a café not too far away.

 

“Yes, I’m sure it’s safe.” He chuckled on the other side of the line, obviously amused.

 

“Your parents hate me…I have a reason to be concerned.” I sighed. “I’m not saying they don’t have a reason to be, but are you sure they’re fine with you coming out to-”

 

“Yes Dara. I’m sure. I’ll meet you there in 30 minutes. See you.” He hung up. I tried calling his cell phone for more reassurance. It was off.

 

I groaned and started getting ready. It isn’t that I didn’t want to see Tabi; I just didn’t want him to get in trouble. His parents seemed very unhappy to see me the other day. If it weren’t for Jiyong pulling me away, who knows what would have happened.

 

‘Jiyong…’ it’s been a few days since he had last revealed everything to me. I tried to contact him ever since, but all attempts had failed. I tried calling him, he wasn’t picking up. I tried going to his house, nobody answered the door. “You know what, I don’t care anymore. If he doesn’t want to see me, it’s HIS choice. I wanted to give him a chance to explain further, but he didn’t take it. It’s his loss. That’s right, I don’t care.” This is probably the hundredth time I’ve tried to convince myself to let it go. So far, it never worked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~At the café~

 

“Ah, I’m glad you could make it.” Tabi smiled as he saw me enter the café, exhausted. I am so distracted with the thoughts of Jiyong that I took a wrong turn and had to sprint to avoid being late.

 

“Th-thank you.” I panted in full gasps, one hand over my chest.

 

His gaze suddenly turned serious. “Anyways…I wanted to talk about this whole…problem.”

 

I nodded, knowing what he meant. “Ya...I thought so.”

 

“First of all,” his voice lightened, “I asked my parents for this. They know where I am, so there’s no need to be paranoid.”

 

I rolled my eyes, but grinned jokingly. “Very funny.”

 

Tabi looked deep in thought. It is almost as if he is contemplating whether or not he should be straight-forward.

 

“Okay so…” I urged. “I’m here, you can just come out with anything.”

 

“Jiyong told you everything, didn’t he?”

 

My jaw dropped. “H-how did you…what?”

 

He chuckled. “He contacted me. We actually had a meeting about this beforehand.”

 

“…you did?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Not really knowing what to say, I could only look down. “Oh…”

 

“I knew he was there.”

 

“You…knew?”

 

“I knew he didn’t call for help…”

 

My eyes widened. “Tabi…”

 

“Of course, when the accident occurred, I lost my memories…including Jiyong…” he stopped, almost as if it pained him to continue. “But after seeing you again…regaining all my memories of you…the memories of the accident soon returned as well.”

 

I looked at Tabi sympathetically. It was understandable that he wouldn’t want to recall the accident. It nearly cost his life, and more presently, affected his daily activities. He had to go through many horrendous surgeries, and most depressing of all, he had to give up sports.

 

“I did want to avenge at first.” He admitted bluntly. “In fact…once I recalled the memory…and became certain that it is indeed the same person…I began plotting against Jiyong. I tried to keep it in low profile…because it seemed that he begin realizing who I am as well…even though my name is kept as TOP to everyone else but you…”

 

“What happened…after?”

 

“I didn’t carry out my plans.”

 

“Why? I mean, not that I WANT you to.” I added hastily.

 

He looked up at me, his hands entwined underneath his chin. “Because I knew you cared about him, Dara.”

 

I stared at Tabi. I am not expecting that. “What?”

 

“If I had carried out my plans, Dara, not only would you have hated me, you would be in great emotional pain.”

 

Silence.

 

“I knew from day one that you cared for Jiyong.” He continued, “you just didn’t admit to it.”

 

“I-no I don’t.”

 

“Dara, I’m the master at logical reasoning and investigation because of my business background…” he stated, one eyebrow rose. “I know I’m right. And frankly, you do too.”

 

“I-”

 

“When I realized that I am the one you were looking for…I am already too late.” He sighed, “I already lost you to Jiyong…or probably even earlier than I had thought.” He smiled gently as one of his hands grasped mine warmly.

 

“Dara, I don’t want you to go through that same pain…that same regret.”

 

“…what do you mean?”

 

“I don’t want you to realize...that you were the one Jiyong had always reserved his heart for…when it’s too late.”

 

I remained quiet.

 

He held my hand slightly tighter. “I’m not telling you this to make you upset. I’m telling you this because I don’t want to see you cry…” he leaned over a bit and brushed a strand of hair away from my face. “You’ve cried over him so many times in the past, and even though those tears eventually stopped…it still hurts so much.”

 

I nodded absentmindedly. I heard the words, but in ny mind, the only person I saw is Jiyong.

 

“If you let him go now…the tears won’t stop, Dara.” Tabi bent a bit lower to make eye contact. “Because the only reason those tears stopped in the past…is because you knew he’d be there. If you let him go…who’s going to stop your tears, Dara?”

 

I finally managed to look at Tabi in the eyes. “I need to see him…”

 

“Let’s go find him then.”

 

“I can’t reach him…I tried calling…I tried his house…none of it has worked.”

 

“I’ll help you. Let’s go.”

 

“Tabi…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Am I too late?”

 

Tabi smiled reassuringly. “Never.”

 

I first tried calling again. To my disappointment, I still couldn’t reach Jiyong. Next, Tabi decided to make a stop at Jiyong’s once again.

 

“Hey, isn’t that the driver’s car?” Tabi pointed out.

 

“Yes…yes it is!”

 

“It looks like he’s here to pick up a guest. There’s a lot of luggage.”

 

I tapped my feet impatiently as Tabi’s driver approached the Kwon mansion.

 

“Dara…I don’t think that’s a visitor…”

 

“What do you mean?” I looked forward and my heart nearly stopped. I saw Jiyong stand by the car, with remaining baggage in his grip. “No…it can’t be…” I shook my head slowly. I started to panic when I saw Jiyong step into the car, and the servants waving to him, bidding him farewell as the car sped away.

 

“Please follow that car,” Tabi ordered the driver.

 

The tailgating lasted for approximately 30 minutes. Finally, we arrived at the airport.

 

“Dara, it’s up to you now.” Tabi said to me. “We’ll wait here in case you need anything.”

 

I nodded, a newfound courage running through my veins. Thinking it is a smart strategy, I decided to stand by the entrance to track down Jiyong.

 

Sure enough, there is Jiyong and his driver walking through the doors with the luggage. Just as I called out his name, a herd of people came rushing in, completely blocking my view of him. I cursed my luck and called out a few more times. As the amount of people lessened, I realized that I had lost him.

 

“DAMN IT!” I yelled, not caring if anyone is staring. I looked around frantically to try and figure out where his next step may be. I saw a bunch of people with luggage heading in a certain direction and decided to follow them.

 

I still couldn’t see Jiyong.

 

Becoming more anxious by the minute, I searched in the opposite direction. I finally decided to try searching the floor above. Pushing my way up the escalator, I am barely through the middle point.

 

Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of Jiyong. Only one problem…he is returning to first floor!

 

“JIYONG!” I couldn’t go back down from the original way I came up, so I am hoping to stop him. Just as I saw his head turn, the person behind me accidentally tripped and smashed into me, causing me to reflexively turn back forward and watch my step. I quickly turned back to see if Jiyong is still there. He isn’t.

 

I am on the verge of tears now. By the time I reached back down to first floor, I saw Jiyong getting his passport checked. I am too far away for him to hear me, so I started running towards him and yelling at the same time. I felt a spark of hope as you saw him turn one last time, but to my dismay, he quickly turned away and proceeded. It is too late.

 

I reached a seat and sank down, utterly defeated. I reached for my cell phone. “Tabi? I’m too late.” I felt myself start sobbing uncontrollably.

 

“I’m really too late!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

 

“Sir, is everything all right?”

 

“Oh, yes.” I turned to my driver and nodded. I thought I had heard someone call my name, but seeing that there were so many people today, I am probably imagining it.

 

“Well, we still have some time. Would you like to get something to eat?”

 

“Sure, that sounds good.”

 

I am not really hungry, but I figured that eating would kill time. It would also take my mind off of everything. Even though I felt strongly about this decision, I couldn’t help but feel slightly worried about it. Is it really the right choice? Then, there’s Dara. How was she now? I broke off all contact with her because I didn’t want her to interfere with my decision. I also feared her hating me. Even though she is quite an understanding person, I am afraid to take the risk.

 

“The time’s about right, shall we go, sir?”

 

I nodded as I grabbed a portion of my things and the driver took the rest.

 

“Gosh, the escalator is full today,” my driver commented.

 

“Yes. It must be a good time to travel.”

 

Suddenly, I heard someone call my name. I am certain this time. I turned around and searched.

 

“Sir, are you okay?”

 

“Yes, I just thought I heard someone call my name…”

 

“Really? I didn’t hear anything. Who would be calling your name? Did you have friends who are here to say goodbye?”

 

I smiled sadly. “No. I guess it’s just wishful thinking…”

 

“Wishful thinking?”

 

“Yes. Never mind that. Let’s just go before I miss my flight.”

 

My driver dropped me off to get my passport checked. This is it. After this, there is no turning back. I inhaled heavily. ‘Jiyong, you’ve come this far, carry on with it.’

 

Suddenly, there it is again. Once again, it sounded like someone is calling my name. Why is this happening? Could this really be made up? Is someone really here to see me? I turn my head half-way, but stopped. ‘No Jiyong…nobody is here to see you.’ I looked down as my passport was stamped and I am free to proceed. ‘It’s all wishful thinking…you just wish…that she wanted you to stay as much as you wanted to in the first place…’ I turned my focus again and continued my way. ‘Focus. This is for the best. No turning back…’ I repeated to myself one last time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------

what will happen to them now?