XXVIII

J.E.R.K.

XXVIII

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

 

I reluctantly got ready for school, knowing what today is…

 

It is a whole new beginning.

 

I didn’t feel ready for this, but I knew I must persevere…not only for Dara, but also for myself. This is the first step to recovery. “Yes…just think of it as letting everything go…a brand new start…a-” I looked up at the clock.

“SHOOT! I’m almost late!” I grabbed my bag and nearly tumbled downstairs.

“GET THE CAR READY!”

 

“YES SIR!”

 

I got to the school building with about 5 minutes to get to class. I am about to run for it, but instead, I strolled casually. I wanted to avoid seeing Dara for as long as possible. “Every minute counts…” I said to myself.

I thought about ditching class, but then I’d only be running away.

 

I reached the classroom and looked around, almost everyone is there. I look around again, there is no teacher. ‘Thank goodness.’ I relax a bit and started looking for my friends. Suddenly, I see Dara. She is waving at me. I tense and quickly look away. Much to my relief, I saw my friends all the way in the back, pointing to the seat beside him. I walk towards my friends, my head up high, avoiding all eye contact. I begin chatting with my friend nonstop, giving Dara no chance to talk to me. I am glad when the teacher comes in. Distraction is great in situations like these.

 

After class, I race to find my friends. I knew Dara didn’t like social settings. If I am around my friends, she would likely not approach me. I pretended to be busily talking to my friends, but I still kept an eye out for her. I see Tabi heading for her direction. I am not happy with this, but it is part of your plan. ‘Be strong, Jiyong…’ I said to myself. Suddenly, I saw him point towards me. I quickly ‘hid’ behind my friends. She is probably looking at me. I continued to mingle with my friends until I see the two of them walk away. I sighed in relief.

 

“Hey guys, I’m going to go now.”

 

“Aw Jiyong, why?”

 

“I need to catch up in class, I haven’t been studying lately.”

 

“Nerd.” One of my friends tease. “Fine, go ahead. Hey, you still coming to the party later, right?”

 

“Ya, probably. I’m not going to stay for long though.”

 

“That’s fine, just come. We haven’t hung out for a while now.” Another friend said. “Meet ya then.”

 

“Totally.” I waved and ran off. ‘Safe for now…’ I my fist into the air with pride.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~After school~

 

I acted like a ninja the entire day. ‘Thank goodness mom had suggested taking Ninjutsu (yes, remember, he does have experience with it, although it isn’t his focus)…’ I snuck to my locker and tried as quickly as possible to work out the combination.

 

“Hey Jiyong!”

 

I cringed and slowly turned around. There she stood, in person. There is no getting away now. “Hi.” I kept my face dull, hoping she’d get the hint and leave.

 

“I just thought that yesterday was great, and I wanted to thank you for suggesting the idea in the first place!”

 

“No problem.”

 

“Well, now that we’re friends. At least I think we are…we can uh…you know…hang out sometimes.” Dara said unsurely. It must have taken her forever to come up with this, or at least to work up the courage to tell me this.

 

“Thanks for the offer, but I’ll pass.” I replied coldly. ‘Dara…please…don’t make me hurt you...’ seeing her clueless like this made it even harder to be mean.

 

“What? What do you mean you’ll pass?” She looked at me questioningly.

 

I looked at her disbelievingly, and tried to be more direct, “It is a one-time thing. You paid for everything anyways.”

 

“But…I thought-”

 

‘I’m sorry, Dara…’ I knew what pushed Dara’s buttons. She hates it when I act all conceited…and that is exactly how I am going to get through to her. “You thought I intended to become friends with you? Dara…that outing is exactly what I said it was—a payback. You owed it to me. I deserved it. It didn’t mean anything else.”

 

“I don’t understand.” She looked at me, utterly confused. “You enjoyed it, didn’t you? I had fun too…doesn’t that make us acquaintances at the very least?”

 

“Dara…” I let out a repulsive laugh, “I’m sorry that I made it seem as if I meant well. I honestly didn’t. We were never friends, why start now?” I cast my eyes down on her, “it was set at childhood, Dara. How could you have not learned?” He sighed. “I am the popular kid, you were the outcast. It is like that then, it remains the same now. The only tie I have with you is that our parents are friends.”

 

She shook her head, obviously not believing anything I had just said. It isn’t surprising, as this is too far…even for me.

 

“How can I make this clearer to you, Dara?” Seeing that it is working, I decided to use it to my advantage. “We are from different worlds. We will never be friends. The only reason I’m around you is because I have no choice.”

 

“But…you helped me so many times…”

 

“Why do you think that is, Dara?” I refused to fall into that trap. “My mother would kill me if I didn’t look out for you! Have some common sense, I’m a jerk, remember? I don’t care about anybody else but myself.”

 

I felt my heart ache as she slowly broke down in front of me. She is trying, but she is definitely no match for me. I balled up my fists and stood my ground, this have to be done. “Dara, reality is a sad state… we’re just too different. If I had been born a commoner, it would’ve probably worked out better. But I’m sorry that you had to take that role instead.” I unnoticeably twitched as Dara’s tears begin dropping onto the floor. I couldn’t go on anymore; I had to get away from her. “Anyways, I’ve got to go. I need to go hang out with my group. I’m already late, thanks to you. Bye.” I quickly rushed by her. The party is actually still hours away, but it is a decent excuse.

 

I ran down the hallway and took a turn. I hid behind the wall and peeked. She is still there. I wanted so much to tell her how everything is all an act, confess to her why I am acting like this, and apologize for making her cry.

I hated seeing her cry…but I especially hated being the cause of her tears.

‘Shoot…’ I saw Tabi walking towards her. I shifted completely out of view and tried to listen to the conversation.

I cursed quietly when I realized that I couldn’t hear anything. It is all mumbling. Suddenly, there is bawling. I silently slid down against the wall.

I snuck another glance and saw Tabi comforting her. I quietly rose up and then sped out of the building. I can’t lose now, I’ve gone so far. Dara may be crying, but I can’t afford to—I’ve cried for her too many times already.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~At the party~

 

 

 

 

 

‘THIS is supposed to get my mind off of Dara?’ I watched dully as two of my drunken buddies started giving two others piggyback rides. I hated when they got drunk. They become more idiotic than usual. I am the only one in my group of friends who didn’t touch alcohol. I found it disgusting. Last time, one of my friends got so drunk; they tried to make out with me. I didn’t speak to him for 2 weeks.

 

“HEY…I’ll RACE YOU.” One of my friends declared to my other friend. “I…I piggyback Seungri and you…piggyback Daesung and first to reach upstairs WIN.” I rolled my eyes as I saw him barely able to keep balance.

 

“YouRON…” his opponent slurred. He is the drunkest of them all (translation: “You’re ON!”).

 

“HEY…JIYONG…you be refeveee…”

 

“You mean referee?”

 

“HEY…it’s not school, da…DON’T ACT SMART.”

 

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever. Ready, get set, go.” I snatch a magazine and begin reading a random article. Why weren’t I keeping track? I knew there’d be no winner.

 

Sure enough, two simultaneous crashes occurred, followed by painful groans.

Neither group made it to the top.

 

“I told you to do this before drinking.” I looked over to them and smirked.

 

“Sh-shaDUP. SMARDY PANT.” One of them shouted, and immediately started coughing afterwards. I couldn’t make out whom, but it was probably Daesung. The other two may have passed out (translation: “Shut up, smarty pants.”).

 

“Whatever you say. Anyways, I’m going home now.”

 

“Hey, you could at least give us a hand…” Seungri hissed as he tried to get out from under everyone.

 

“Did you break anything?”

 

“Well no-”

 

“Exactly.” I smirked one last time before leaving the house.

 

I hurried home. I couldn’t wait to relax. ‘First day is the most difficult, it’ll get better.’ I cheered myself on. ‘It just has to.’ I felt unusually lucky when I finally reached my house. ‘Home sweet home…’

 

I stepped into my house, expecting to see the faces of the maids and servants.

 

My face paled as my eyes met Dara’s instead. Oddly, she is on the floor.

‘What th- what is she doing here?!’ My mind panicked, but I acted nonchalant.

“What are you doing here?” I calmly asked.

 

“Jiyong…?” I stared at her hard. I hated when she called out my name so weakly. It made me want to protect her even more.

 

“What are you doing here?” She remained silent. “Well?” When she didn’t answer, I begin to get nervous. I waited for a few more seconds before finally giving up. “Whatever. Stay there if you want.” I walked past her. I felt very rude, but I didn’t know what else to do. I couldn’t look at her, especially after hearing her cries in the hallway. However, perhaps that is a bit too harsh. ‘I think the least I can do is offering her a hand…that shouldn’t hurt…’ nodding to myself, I am about to turn back. Suddenly, I felt an iron grip on my arm. I didn’t have to time to respond, as a hand made contact with my face.

 

“WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU HEARTLESS JERK.” Dara shrieked at me. I am facing right from the impact. I took a few seconds to calm down before facing her again. I had to remain indifferent. That earned me another slap, only harder this time.

 

“Why are you being like this?” Her voice finally became normal again. I wanted to keep it this way, but I knew I couldn’t. I had to go overboard again.

 

“Being like what? This is how I am.” I spat, trying to make her believe that I am actually a truly a cold-hearted person.

 

“NO. You were a jerk, Jiyong. You were a conceited, airheaded, pompous jerk. But you weren’t ruthless. What in the world happened to you?!”

 

“Nothing.” I looked away from her.

 

“Liar. You must have a reason. It better be a darn good one too, because-”

 

I really didn’t want to do this, but I know I must. I shut my eyes and pour my whole heart into those very words. “I got tired of you.”

 

“Tired of me…?” It is finally starting to work.

 

“Yes…you…AND your selfish ways. You’re such a cold-hearted person, Dara.” I force a grin.

 

“…what do you mean?”

 

“People do things for you, and you repay them with doubt.” This part is true.

I found these words easier to say, because I had experienced it.

 

“Are you still mad about that hospital incident? Look, I’m sorry! I’ll never doubt you again-”

“You’re right. You won’t because I won’t have anything to do with you.” Deep down, I am slightly shocked at what I had just said. This isn’t how I had planned it. I look at Dara, she is at a loss for words. ‘At least it’s working.’ I thought, and decided to simply go with the flow, no matter how much pain it’d cause. “You’re such a fool to think that I had forgiven you, Dara. As I’ve mentioned today at school, I do all this because my mother would have my head if I didn’t look out for you. Even if that’s the case, I would think you should be grateful.”

 

“I was-”

 

“No, you weren’t which is why I suggested that amusement park idea. It was a free time for me, no money, and no worries. Plus, you owed it all to me. Why not?”

I felt as if I am possess. All of these words were just falling into place, I had no control.

 

“Jiyong…”

 

“I would never befriend someone like you. You wouldn’t last by yourself.” I turned away. It is for my own sake, as well as Dara’s. I knew she is going to be on the brink of tears. As for I, I am not too far from that either.

 

“Fine.” She said. “I’m sorry for wasting your time then.” The door slammed.

 

“Wait!” One of your servants called out to her.

 

“What are you doing?” I hissed. The last thing I want is her coming back.

 

“Sir, she dropped this.” He handed me a coin.

 

I look at the coin. It isn’t just any coin. It is a game token from the day of the amusement park. “I’m going up to my room. I’ll keep this and return it to her later.”

 

I leaned against the couch and investigated the coin. I didn’t recall Dara buying any coins for herself, she is too busy buying them for me, and only used the remains. From what I remembered, there were no coins left over. I thought harder. ‘Oh…right.’ I smiled at the memory.

 

“Miss....please, you’re hogging up the line.”

 

“NO, I must hit at least 3 balloons so I can have a small prize.”

 

“But Miss…you’ve tried 5 times already, each time has 3 shots, and you’ve only managed to hit 1!”

 

“I’m a customer, and I demand that you let me try again!”

 

“Look, here are 20 game tokens. Go try other games and stop hogging up the line, okay?”

 

“Hm…”

 

“Oh here, make it 25, now please, leave my stand alone!”

 

“Fine…c’mon Jiyong, let’s go try other games.”

 

“Give them to me.”

 

“No.”

 

“Hey, you’re paying up everything, remember?”

 

“Argh…fine. But I want to save one for remembrance.”

 

“Sure, whatever.”

 

“This must be it…” I wiped the coin carefully, as if it is some rare artifact.

It is the last bit of memory I have with Dara. I found a small box and gently put it in and placed it away in my drawer. “Perhaps we’ll see each other again someday…but until that day comes…let’s just hold the memory close to our hearts…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------

what will happen to them now? stay tune!