Final Part I

J.E.R.K.

FINALE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

“Finally…the time of year I’m always looking forward to…” I smiled as I look at my calendar.

 

It has been four years since that incident. I still remembered the events as clearly as if it had just happened yesterday. I recalled my hopes getting crushed over and over again. Each time, I thought I am so close, but I could never make the two ends meet in the end. As a result, I lost him. I cried for him at the airport. I cried for him during the ride home, despite Tabi’s comforting. I cried when I got home. I cried for next upcoming weeks.

 

Tabi had tried contact Jiyong, but to no avail, he could not be reached. In fact, he couldn’t contact any of Jiyong’s family members. After that, I believed all hope is lost—Jiyong simply didn’t want me in his life.

 

To this day, I still keep in contact with Tabi. His parents aren’t fond of this, but agreed that it is acceptable as long as it is kept at a minimal level. Throughout these four years, Tabi had continuously offered me endless support. Even though his schedule is always busy, he always tried to make a bit of time for me when necessary. He is now 20, and more occupied with business than ever. As for I, I am now 19. However, instead of attending college or university like the majority of the population, I decided to take some time off and help my mother with her business. She graciously accepted this decision, and reacted far more enthusiastically than I had expected. In fact, I am now considering simply taking over my mother’s business. It would save a lot of money, and I am already involved.

 

Usually, I try to pack my schedule with work, because I wanted to be as useful as possible. However, the next couple of days are reserved for something special.

 

“Come on, honey. Just a hint?”

 

“No mom.” I smiled mischievously. “It’s a secret.”

 

“Please?”

 

“No.”

 

“Just a hint.”

 

“No.”

 

“If you don’t give me a hint, I’m not letting you go.”

 

“What?! But you promis-”

 

“No. I’m technically your boss, honey. Now, are you going to give me a hint?”

 

“Fine…it’s…it’s for a special memory.”

 

“A special memory?”

 

“Yes. That’s the only hint you’re getting.”

 

“It’s not very specific…”

 

“Well then, too bad, that’s the deal.”

 

My mother rolled her eyes but grinned. Deep down, she understood what this is all about. She knew how much emotional conflicts I’ve endured during those four years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~Next day~

 

 

 

 

 

“OKAY. BRING IT ON.” I had spent pretty much the entire day relaxing just so I can unleash total chaos in the evening. Even though I am going by myself, I am determined to have fun and make the best of it. ‘Just like that day…’ I smiled gently at the memory.

 

 

 

 

 

He looked around and almost instantly, one made him smirk. I turned to where he was looking and found a kind of basketball game setup. There were mini hoops and basketballs, and I had to compete against other people for the highest score in order to get the prize.

 

“You play basketball so often, why pay for it?”

 

“Look carefully,” he pointed towards the station.

 

“I don’t see anything special. It’s-“ I stopped as I saw the hoops begin to move in all sorts of directions. It went up and down, as well as left and right.

“I see what you mean now.” I finally said.

 

“Indeed.” He held out his hand. “Money please.”

 

I sighed and handed him the money. “Here. You better win.”

 

“You can count on it.” He boasted and selected his section. Soon, the station filled up. I stood beside Jiyong to watch the game.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I missed that side of Jiyong. He is a self-centred jerk, but it is only when he is gone that I noticed how even his negative attributes were to be missed, especially when he always managed to counteract his flaws.

 

 

 

 

“Listen girl…” he chuckled, dallying with her. “I hope that you enjoy the game…”

 

The girl is at a loss for words as she is practically hypnotized by Jiyong’s eyes.

Her boyfriend is watching, utterly appalled. But he is unable to say a word because of Jiyong’s intimidation factor.

 

“Please do enjoy it…as I crush your boyfriend’s score and any chances he has of winning that prize for you.” He finished emotionlessly; his eyes flickered menacingly and turned to focus on the hoop. The girl gasped and backed away.

 

That moment always made me laugh. There is definitely a streak of competitiveness, but I knew that overall, he did it for me. Even to this day, I still don’t think that I have figured Jiyong all out. He is so unpredictable and dark, but also childish when I least expected it…

 

 

 

“Cotton candy.”

 

“You like cotton candy? I didn’t know that.”

 

“Surprise, surprise.” He grinned childishly, contrasting his ‘dark’ demeanor. The both of us lined up at the trailer. Even in simple activities like this, I felt eyes on me and Jiyong. I knew those stares all too well…those begrudging gazes from potential fan girls.

 

“Want some?” Jiyong ripped off a clump of fresh cotton candy and offered it to me.

 

“Thanks.” I stuffed a small portion in my mouth. The taste is heavenly.

 

 

 

 

I sighed and shook my head. ‘Stop thinking about the past, you’re here to have FUN.’ I stood up straight and stared at the amusement park intently. It is a miracle that it had shown up near where I lived each of the four years.

I came each year, and stayed until it had to be closed. ‘Let’s do this.’

 

I usually went on a lot of random rides. However, this year, I felt the need to go to a specific place before I could start anything. I smiled as the familiar beeping sound ringed. Basketballs began colliding with the hoops—I am at the basketball game station. I watched in amusement as majority of the shots made missed. It isn’t surprising, as most of the contestants were quite young; most seemed between 9-13. Suddenly, my attention turned to this one boy.

He looked about 13, but his shooting level is certainly beyond that. He hadn’t missed once. I watched in awe—not because his aim is perfect, but because of how much he reminded me of Jiyong—the poise, the concentration…everything. As the game ended, I hadn’t noticed that I am still staring at him until he is right before me.

 

“…hello?” He waved in front of my face.

 

“H-huh?”

 

“…you were staring at me…” he said slowly, “did you need anything?”

 

“I…it’s nothing. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

 

“Really? Your stare is very intense. It looked like you wanted to say something to me…but you weren’t moving…so I came up.” Now that he is closer to me, I realized that the boy also slightly look like Jiyong. Of course, he isn’t as stunning as Jiyong, but he had similar features, and definitely possessed similar levels of “energy.”

 

“Oh…really? I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean it. Please forgive me…” I felt very embarrassed. It made me seem like a stalker, or worse, a lonely woman with a for little boys.

 

“It’s fine really. I actually felt very pleased.”

 

“You did…?”

 

“Ya…” he smiled sheepishly. “It looked as if…I reminded you of someone you really admired, or at least looked up to. That’s the only reason I came up and talked to you. The stare wasn’t creepy, it was more like…admiration.”

 

I smiled. “Ya…”

 

Within the next few minutes, I told the little boy everything. The two of us were sitting on a bench, just chatting away as if the two of us were the best of friends. I found out that he is actually only 12, but looked tall enough to pass for 13.

 

“Wow…” his eyes widened. “I’m sorry…”

 

“Nah.” I laughed. “I’m surprised that you’re so mature for your age.”

 

The boy grinned, obviously flattered. “I just come from a family that emphasizes on education a lot.” He rolled his eyes, “it gets annoying, but I suppose we will be better off in the long run.”

 

“Ah…you resemble him so much. His family is like that too…sort of.”

 

“Wow…what a coincidence, eh?”

 

“Ya…”

 

“Anyways, I need to go now. I’ve actually snuck out today…they probably have realized that I’m gone by now…”

 

“Oh my…you must get back.”

 

“Ya…but before I go…” he shoved a stuffed bunny in my face. “I won this at the basketball game thing. You can have it.”

 

“Really?!” I laughed happily. It is just like the events in the past. “Thank you so much…”

 

“You’re welcome. Try to enjoy yourself today…who knows? Maybe miracles do happen.”

 

“Huh?”

 

He merely winked in response and rushed off. I am left holding the stuffed animal, and remembering the past events once more. ‘How are you, Jiyong? Are you well…?’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------

2 more chapters to go!