XIV

J.E.R.K.

Episode XIV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s POV

 

 

 

 

 

What kind of an excuse is THIS, MISS PARK?!"

 

"I'm REALLY SORRY, MRS. LEE, I promise it won't happen again-"

 

"If it's happened, it's one time too MANY. You expect me to believe that during all this time, you failed to meet my expectations because of some 'PERSONAL ISSUES?'"

 

"But it's true-"

 

"I've have had ENOUGH of your nonsense, Miss PARK! As a student, it is YOUR DUTY TO BE RESPONSIBLE. Personal issues or not, unless you can show me physical injuries or signs of mental insanity with a doctor's consent, it is not enough to excuse you from your work."

 

"Then you mean...?!"

 

"CORRECT, Miss. PARK. Your lame excuses and effort has earned you an F!"

 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...."

 

 

 

"No......NO!" I abruptly sat up from my bed. The silent ticking of the clock and the gentle blowing of the wind greeted my awakening. I sighed loudly, but with relief. It is all a dream. I look out the window, the sky is still dark. I looked at the clock. It is only 3 in the morning.

 

I laugh to myself and crawl under the covers again. It is peaceful for a few seconds, but it suddenly hit me. The SCENARIO is a dream. But the PROJECT is not. I and Jiyong were partnered up to do this project about Canada. It isn’t that I’ve got completely nothing done, but compared to how much TIME I’ve wasted, the progress is nothing. The project is going to be due SOON. When? I counted out loud. Today is Sunday, I had a week to work on it. "OH NO...IT'S DUE...TODAY!" And if I didn't start working my off, the dream I’ve just had might become reality.

 

"Oh God..." I mumbled as I rushed out of bed and changed into something presentable as fast as I could. I literally flew for the door, trying to be as quiet as I could possibly be during the process, not wanting to wake anybody up. There is only one person I needed to wake up, and that is Kwon Jiyong. Unfortunately.

 

I sneaked to Jiyong's room. I slowly opened the door, hoping for it to not creak. I walk into his room on my toes and made my way to his bed.

 

"Hey, Jiyong..." I cleared my throat. It is awkward talking to him even if he is knocked out. Heck, after what happened, I wouldn't ever be ready to face him again. "Hey you, get UP!" I smacked the mattress a few times. It is very bouncy. As if there isn’t anybody on it. I flipped the blanket off, he wasn't there.

 

"What..?" I whispered to myself. 'Where could he be?'

 

I decided to open the lights. It wouldn't hurt. Either it would wake Jiyong up, or it would save me from hurting myself in the dark.

 

I stumbled to the light switch. Jiyong isn’t in his room. His room hadn't changed at all since the last time I am here, which was...a few hours ago. My cheeks heated up as I remembered what had happened. "NO!" I shook my head violently. "I CANNOT BE DISTRACTED. THE FATE OF MY REPORT CARD IS AT RISK!" I am unaware by the poses that followed my statement. I had my right fist in the air, the other on my waist, my right leg is bent and my left is bent more outwards behind it. In other words, I looked like a demented super hero gone extremely wrong.

 

"...What are you doing...?" A tired, smooth and gentle tone came from the entrance.

 

I turned around only to see Jiyong standing by the opened doorway, leaning against the wall. He is wearing the same outfit as when I last saw him...which was a few hours ago, and looked as if he had been drinking WAY too much coffee.

 

"Eh...looking for you?" I answered after a few blinks of the eyes from surprise.

 

"Uh...huh." Jiyong murmured quietly with a few slow nods. His eyes drooped heavily and his face is pale, which showed the distinct dark rings forming under his eyes.

 

"Eh...Jiyong, are you alright?" He didn't seem like his usual self. Jiyong's voice is much more 'controlling,' and more on the masculine side. It is also rarely gentle like it is now, and certainly not quiet unless he wanted it to be. His figure is also tall and straight. He is confident and a leader. Now he just looks...drained, exhausted, and even dead.

 

'Wait a minute...why am I thinking this much anyway? How he decides to look is HIS choice. Since when am I so clear on how his voice sounds, or how he stands and walks around? HECK, I HATE THE SIGHT OF HIM!' I smirked to myself. 'Yes, that's right. I don't feel ANYTHING for him.' Then my smirk fades as I adverted back to Jiyong. He really didn't look healthy at the moment.

 

I walked over to him, and....poked him. He tilted a bit to one side, but he glared at me warningly. I giggled to myself, "HE'S ALIVE!" Jiyong narrowed his eyes at me menacingly and put his index finger to his lips, telling to me shut up before I wake up the whole household.

 

 

"Alright, alright, I'll stop!" I wiped a few tears away from the edges of my eyes and then turned serious. "Now tell me, what's up with you?"

 

He walked past me and started going down the very dark hallway.

 

"HEY...don't ignore me! Just because you're dead doesn't mean I CAN'T SEE YOU!"

 

Jiyong turned to look at me. His gaze said 'what the hell are you talking about?'

 

"Ok, I didn't know where that came from. But really, TALK. Don't just walk away!"

 

"...Follow me." He spoke clearly and slowly, as if I am mentally incompetent.

 

"Very funny..." I hissed and started following him. I ran a bit to catch up with him. I never liked mansions, I always felt as if someone is coming after me because there were so many rooms. Without knowing what I am doing, I grabbed onto his shirt, my eyes wandering around the hallway. Jiyong smiled weakly down at me. I didn't notice, of course, since it is dark and I am so busy thinking someone is going to attack me.

 

The two of us reached the study room. My jaw hit the floor almost immediately.

 

There were papers scattered everywhere, the computer is open and there were many tools on the floor too. It included paints, glue, pictures and anything related with making something pretty. That isn’t what caused my jaw to drop however, not the mess...but this...beautiful design in the middle of it all. It is the model of Canada I and Jiyong had planned to make quite a while ago, but never really got to begin.

 

I could tell that the model is close to being finished. The stack of papers is all research that Jiyong had done beforehand, and the tools were used to make the model. It is almost a perfect demonstration of the physical features and climate of Upper Canada. The colors were all delicately applied, and everything is nicely put together.

 

"Jiyong..." I stuttered with disbelief. "This is..."

 

"What? You don't like it? Hn...YOU try making something better." He muttered grumpily.

 

"No...It’s WONDERFUL!" I squealed as I opened my arms wide and squeezed the life out of him in a tight hug.

 

"...Eh.." Jiyong pondered, he didn't know how to react.

 

I quickly let go of him, noticing how odd it must be for him. "Sorry..." I added clumsily.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong inhaled deeply a bit and pulled at his collar as his eyes darted around. He then regained his cool composure and said, "Well I'm guessing you were looking for me in my room because you were hoping to finish the project before well...today...when school starts?"

 

"Yep. I had a nightmare of getting an F..."

 

"Heh...don't worry, I'll make sure that doesn't happen." Jiyong declared with fearlessness as he walked into the room and started organizing some papers.

 

I stood at my spot. I looked at him, almost with admiration. I hated to admit it, but Jiyong's confidence and determination had always been one of his most attractive traits. With stunning looks as an undeniable plus, he is nearly perfect.

 

"Well?" Jiyong's voice brought me back to reality. "You going to help, or not?"

 

"Oh, of course!" I said, almost too cheerfully and skipped into the room, and started painting what seemed to be an unfinished part of the model.

 

Jiyong, who is clueless as to what I was thinking a moment ago, shook his head and rolled his eyes. "I'll never understand girls...no, I mean I'll never understand YOU." he sighed, confused.

 

"Oh, so I'm special. I'm the only girl you've failed to understand?" I questioned, looking at him innocently.

 

Jiyong gulped, as his face tinted with pink, which is even more visible because of his pale face. "No, hn, what are you talking about?"

 

"Haha, nothing." I sang and started humming as I continued painting.

 

Jiyong shrugged stiffly and got up, making his way to the computer.

 

I chuckled to myself. Did I just 'flirt' with Kwon Jiyong? Most likely. It may not be direct, but it is my style of flirting. I flirted with words. In this case, that is Jiyong's weakness. He is used to girls using physical flirting, and he is equally good at it. Things such as just innocent hugging and childlike words were all so new to him.

 

It is now 6 in the morning. The model is done. Jiyong handed me my script, we two practiced and he showed me how the model works. It all came together to be a fabulous presentation. I felt slightly guilty, since I didn't really help with the majority of this project. And standing right now, looking at such a beautiful piece of work, it's painful to know that Jiyong had put himself through all this. We were partners with him. Whether I had problems or not, should not affect my ability to work, for it didn't affect him either.

 

"Hey Jiyong..." I said as he finally sat down beside me after closing down the computer.

 

"What..?" He answered sleepily, I had prevented him from drinking anymore coffee, since it isn’t good for the body.

 

"I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you doing all this work...and I'm very sorry that I wasn't there to help with anything..."

 

"Ha, it's alright. I would've preferred working alone, you would've just made the work harder."

 

"HEY...I'm being nice here. The least you can do is PRETEND that you accept my apology. It's not like I apologize every day you know?" I retorted.

 

"Heh, I am just joking." He muttered, his voice is becoming quieter by the minute. But I didn't notice.

 

"Really? You sounded pretty serious to me, psh, if you can just be a bit nicer, I might actually like a bit more and we wouldn't have to fight all the time-" my sentence is cut off as I felt Jiyong's head against mine. He is fast asleep.

 

"Oh...well uh...I guess I'll give you a break for today. For you know...being so thoughtful and...determined." I mumbled softly to nobody in particular, smiling.

 

I don't know why, but Jiyong has this 'mystical' power of playing with my mind, even when I am sure that he isn’t trying to. He had this way of making me have mixed thoughts about him. When I really hated him for something that happened, he'd always do something that replaced my rage with...guilt? The guilt of ever doubting or hating him. For example, when I am upset about what he had said earlier about this special necklace, and yet ended up being partnered up with him anyway, he became this sweet and caring person that I would believe to be an ideal boyfriend, erasing all those mean thoughts I’ve had of him. When he played the cruel prank on me of pretending to be 'infatuated' with me, making me cry, he later on saved me from being kidnapped by some erted old freak. And when we two got into a heated argument...he kissed me. Again and again, he smothered my anger with his hidden thoughtfulness, courage and charm. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't entirely acknowledged it, but day by day, I am losing a small part of my heart to Jiyong. He is taking my heart piece by piece, and is probably unaware of it. I am falling for him.

 

I yawned as soundlessly as I can, not wanting to wake Jiyong. I am too tired to care about any of those confessions. I rubbed my eyes slowly, and yawned once more. Then I too, closed my eyes and fell asleep, my head against Jiyong's, and his leaning on mine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong's POV

 

 

 

 

I groaned. Never in my life, have I felt so consumed. This project is taking forever, it is now nearly 3 in the morning, and I haven't gotten any sleep.

 

Dara is my partner, but I really didn't want to wake her up at this time. After that situation, I wanted to avoid talking to her as much as I can.

 

Even though I knew, that at this pace, I would never get it done; my determination drove me to the extent where I am willing to try it anyway. Besides, the project is going to be due today...and because of some upcoming 'issues,' I and Dara never got further into it.

 

I am typing away, when I suddenly heard a voice. I stepped out of the study room, and listened.

 

The voice is coming from my room, and my door is opened, as well as the lights.

 

I staggered to my room silently, as I reached the doorway, I saw Dara...in a very unusual and idiotic pose. She looked like one of those children action figures sold in cheap toy stores. In other words, the action figures that were never meant to be seen.

 

"...What are you doing...?" I asked my tone apathetic.

 

Dara quickly turned around; it is obvious that she is shocked to see me. "Eh...looking for you?" She said unsurely.

 

"Uh...huh." I nodded, closing my eyes. 'Need more coffee...' I thought to myself.

 

"Eh...Jiyong, are you alright?" Dara asked, concerned. She appears to be thinking about something as she asked. Her tone held worry, yes, but it was also kind of 'empty.'

 

I am busy wondering as to what she could've been occupying herself with when she unexpectedly came up to me and POKED me.

 

"HE'S ALIVE!" she exclaimed, as if she had made a shocking discovery, followed by a fit of laughter. I glared at her, but that didn't seem to get through to her. I continued glaring, and only when they turned menacing, did she stop.

 

"Alright, alright, I'll stop!" She chuckled and wiped a few tears away, then asked vigorously, "Now tell me, what's up with you?"

 

I decided that since she's awake, she might as well help me with the project. Despite the awkwardness, I really wanted some sleep. I become desperate. I walked past her, wanting to lead her to the study room.

 

"HEY...don't ignore me! Just because you're dead doesn't mean I CAN'T SEE YOU!" she pouted.

 

I turned and stared at her.

 

"Ok, I didn't know where that came from. But really, TALK. Don't just walk away!"

 

'She needs help...' I reminded myself patiently. Then I turned around and went slowly and steadily, "...Follow me."

 

"Very funny..." she replied, offended. But she followed my order. In fact, she chased after me, gripping my sleeve absent-mindedly. I then recalled that Dara is afraid of the dark in places with a lot of space. I couldn't help but smile.

 

When the two of us reached the study room, Dara's face is the expression of pure awe. She is gawking and stuttering. I am too burned out to pay attention to anything, so I took it that she didn't like my work.

 

"What? You don't like it? Hn...YOU try making something better."

 

"No...It’s WONDERFUL!" Her reply caught me off-guard. But what really surprised me is when she suddenly hug me.

 

"...Eh.." I tried to act cool. But I just couldn't pull myself together. She let go of me, realizing what she had just done, and hastily apologized.

 

I recovered from the surprise, and asked, "well I'm guessing you were looking for me in my room because you were hoping to finish the project before well...today...when school starts?"

 

She nodded, and told me about this nightmare of getting an F.

 

 

"Heh...don't worry, I'll make sure that doesn't happen." I reassured her, and I mean it. I am not going to let the teacher fail me or Dara. Having this promise in mind, I began working again. It is then that I noticed that Dara hasn't moved. Instead, she is staring at me. I am not sure WHY, but I knew she is staring at me, and is zoned out.

 

"Well?" I pressed. "You going to help, or not?"

 

"Oh, of course!" she responded enthusiastically. Almost TOO enthusiastically. What is more scary, is when she 'pranced' happily into the room and started painting the model.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'll never understand girls...no, I mean I'll never understand YOU." I sighed and mumbled. I knew how to please girls. I am sure of it. But Dara...she never ceased to astonish me.

 

"Oh, so I'm special. I'm the only girl you've failed to understand?" She asked, looking at me angelically. I would never tell her this, but she looked absolutely adorable. She looked so cute, that my heart nearly missed a beat. I could feel my face heating up. "No, hn, what are you talking about?"

 

"Haha, nothing." She grinned almost foolishly at me. She looked really stupid...yet ridiculously captivating.

 

To end the tensed moment, I went to the computer, and started typing. This way, I wouldn't have to face her.

 

This way, I wouldn't have to let her see how red my face is.

 

Hours went by as I and Dara worked endlessly to finish the project. When it is finish, the two of us sat down against the bed, followed by a huge sigh.

 

A few moments of silence passed. Until Dara finally spoke up. "Hey Jiyong..."

 

"What..?" I replied. I am so worn out. Dara had taken away my coffee, going on and on about how it isn’t good for me.

 

"I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you doing all this work...and I'm very sorry that I wasn't there to help with anything..." she said sincerely.

 

"Ha, it's alright. I would've preferred working alone, you would've just made the work harder." I answered, laughing mildly.

 

"HEY...I'm being nice here. The least you can do is PRETEND that you accept my apology. It's not like I apologize every day you know?" She retaliated. She didn't know how to take a joke.

 

"Heh, I am just joking." I muttered, falling asleep. I heard her start saying something else, but I out before I could really make out anything.

 

During the last few moments before I fell asleep, I hadn't really been listening to Dara. I am thinking about other things.

 

I and Dara had been childhood enemies. Or at least...that's how others saw it. I saw it as the only way I could...make sure I am not forgotten by her. I am trying so hard not to lose, that I had to push her aside. At a young age, we were torn apart by competition. I annoyed Dara all the way to high school, and even manage to get on her nerves by just being there.

 

For me, this is good. This means that I am a part of her memories. Even though it gave me a horrible image, it is the only way I could possibly...be close to her. When Seunghyun came into her life, I felt the need to bring my pranks to the fullest in order to be remembered, making her hate me even more. I didn't mean to hurt anyone, it is just...the only way that my past 13 year old mind could think of.

 

I now felt like a criminal. Why hadn't I made that call? If I had, he might have been saved. My sources of connection were way advanced than of any those witnesses on the scene. Yes it is true...

 

I saw Seunghyun got hit. I am the only one with a clear view of that truck. Yet...I never told anyone over these years. I never called for help. I never tried to save him.

 

I hate myself. I felt like a murderer. Even though I never played a part in the actual accident...

 

I had the sources to make sure it hadn't become so severe, but I used them in time.

 

What would Dara think of me if she were to know all of these secrets I’ve kept to myself? She'd probably hate me more than I hated myself right now. She adored Seunghyun...and that made me incredibly jealous.

 

But that isn’t an excuse to let him die...

 

Just like...my competitive nature...isn’t an excuse to wish that she is dead...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------

Happy New Year Everyone!