XXIX

J.E.R.K.

XXIX

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s P.O.V.

 

 

 

 

 

“Gosh…” I groaned as I finished circling the mall for the 10th time. “Exactly what things do rich people like…that are around a $20 value?!”

 

I am desperately trying to find Tabi the perfect birthday gift. I am not really in the mood for parties after my encounter with Jiyong, but Tabi is determined to make me feel better.

 

“It’s not really a party…it’s more formal. In fact, you don’t have to do much; you can just sit around and eat. I’m going to set up a room for fun activities too. Most of the attendees are from prestigious families. They’re around our age, but…they don’t get to relax much, so I’m making sure that the atmosphere will be laid-back. My parents arrange it every year for me from the other side of the world. Even though they’re not around; they want me to have a happy birthday each year.”

 

I couldn’t possibly turn down the invitation after that. I didn’t mind going, I just wish that I had more money. “I’m going to look like a loser with my cheap present…” I sighed and grabbed a box of chocolates. I aimed for the more expensive brands, but I doubt it is going to match to anything Tabi is going to receive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~The day of the party~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“HONEY, WEAR THIS!” My mother held up a ruby red dress with glitters. “It’s GORGEOUS.”

 

“No.” I didn’t even bother looking at the dress. I knew my mother’s preferences. She always wanted to make me look as girly as possible. I hated it. Tabi had said I could wear whatever I feel like, but I didn’t want to show up too casually and make him look bad in front of his friends.

 

“This one.” I show my mother a black and white dress that looked semi-formal, but isn’t too revealing. It is at knee length and my shoulders weren’t exposed. There is also a white bow around the waist, adding a hint of cuteness. I tried it on and felt rather comfortable. I decided to wear black leggings underneath and match the bow with a pair of white boots.

 

“Oh honey, that’s perfect! It suits you perfectly! I’m so glad I saved all these…they’re perfect for you!”

 

“Thanks mom!”

 

Suddenly, I heard the sound of a car honking at the front of my house. “That must be the driver…I’ll see you later, mom!” I gave her a hug, grabbed the present and ran out the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~At Tabi’s party destination~

 

 

 

 

 

“Woah…this place is huge.” I stared as I slowly got out of the car. I had originally thought that the party would take place at Tabi’s place, because it is already big enough (I’ll let you imagine what the setting looks like).

 

“Dara?”

 

I turned around to see Tabi smiling at me. “Hey Tabi, you chose a nice place for your party!”

 

“Nah…” he chuckled. “I personally wouldn’t have gone for such an extravagant setting, but my parents make their ideas more expensive each year. Come on, I’ll give you a quick tour.”

 

I nodded and followed him cautiously. I rarely wore anything so elegant in public. I would die of embarrassment if I actually tripped. He patiently explained to me some of the main rooms and what activities would be available.

 

He also answered my questions…which pretty much occurred at the sight of every single room he showed me.

 

“Sir! More guests have arrived, you must greet them!”

 

“All right,” he replied. “Please inform them that I’ll be there shortly.”

 

The servant bowed and retreated down the halls.

 

“What a drag it is being the birthday boy, huh?”

 

Tabi chuckled and turned to me. “Indeed. The birthday boy gets all the trouble, especially if his family has status. Although this party is for my enjoyment, it is also a time to build stronger business bonds. In a way, I’m helping my parents.”

 

“Ooh. Well, I shouldn’t keep you here then, where do I go now?”

 

“Well, you can continue to explore if you want…when it’s time to get started, I’ll send someone for you.”

 

“That sounds good. I’ll have a look around.” I turned to leave, but Tabi’s voice halted me. “Yes?”

 

“You look stunning tonight.” He gave me a heartfelt smile and then hurried off.

 

I slowly leaned against the wall; my heart palpitating and my face radiating a bright crimson shade. After calming down a bit, I decided it is finally time for further exploring.

 

I pass by all sorts of rooms and peeked inside just about each one. Of course, all rooms were furnished, with many activities set up for the guests that would arrive later. “Oooh, I wonder why this room doesn’t have decorations on the door…maybe it’s special?” I opened the door curiously and stepped inside. “Oh…it’s just a janitor’s closet.” I looked around in disappointment. “Well…I might as well do some more exploring then…” I am about to head out when I heard loud footsteps coming towards me.

 

Out of panic, I hid behind a shelf. I didn’t know exactly why I am hiding, but the possibility of an angry janitor screaming at me for invading his storage room is enough to scare me. Suddenly, the footsteps slowed down and entered the room. The person shut the door. I bit my lip nervously. Who could it be? I heard the stranger sigh in frustration and fumble in the dark, probably looking for a light switch. When they couldn’t find it, they cursed loudly. It is a male.

 

“HEY, DUDE. WE KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE!”

 

The boy cursed again. “GO AWAY.”

 

“Aww, C’MON man. It’s a party! Have fun!”

 

“Screw you, you tricked me!”

 

“But you wouldn’t have come otherwise!”

 

“I’m only coming out if I can go.”

 

“No way, we’re keeping you here.”

 

“How exactly do you plan on doing that?” The boy snickered, “I just have to call a driver to pick me up.”

 

“We have your cell phone.”

 

“What?” I heard the boy shuffling through his clothes for a few seconds. “WHAT THE HELL? WHEN DID YOU TAKE IT?”

 

“Oh, we have our ways. And just to make sure you don’t leave this place…” the sound of keys rang on the other side.

 

“You wouldn’t…”

 

“Oh yes, we would.”

 

“DAMN IT.” The stranger began madly trying to bust the door open while the boys on the other side struggled to lock it.

 

“Whew, wow, he’s strong.”

 

“Ya, but we got it. Bye dude, we’ll come back for you later when you calm down. You’re staying here whether you like it or not.”

 

“What? HEY. You got to be kidding me…OPEN THE DOOR.” A string of colorful words followed. “I SWEAR...”

 

I relaxed a bit after he stopped. He must have known that it is useless. His friends were probably gone by now.

 

He stood silently for a while longer and then quietly rested on a cardboard box.

“This is stupid…” he murmured.

 

I wanted to talk to him, but I felt intimidated by him. After a brief mental conflict, I gulped decided to take the risk, but as I stepped out from behind the shelf, I accidentally bumped into it and caused a slight tremor.

 

“Who’s there?” The boy instantly hissed and stood up, on guard.

 

“I’m sorry…” I said meekly. “I was hiding behind there before you came along…”

 

“Why didn’t you come out earlier? And why are you here?” He interrogated, his voice lowered, but still held the same amount of threat.

 

“I was exploring and accidentally found this room because the door had no decorations and I thought it is special or something…I-I was too scared to come out because well…you sounded so mad and I didn’t want to get in the way, and…I am not exactly sure who you were and I didn’t know how to react, I guess I am just so shocked that I didn’t know what to do, kind of like when-“

 

I am cut off by an unexpected response. He chuckled. “You talk too much.”

 

“Ya…well, that’s what they all say.” I laughed nervously, trying to ease the tension in your muscles.

 

Silence.

 

“So…why were you mad?”

 

“Oh…well, my stupid friends lied to me and got me to this lame party. They told me we were just going out to the movies.”

 

“Why did they lie in the first place?”

 

“They thought I need cheering up, but they probably just wanted to get with some of the ladies here.”

 

“Oh…but I’m sure they mean well too.”

 

“They might. But honestly, I don’t need this.”

 

“Um…may I ask WHY you were upset in the first place?”

 

“Eh…just some personal problems…”

 

“Oh…relationship problems?”

 

“Not really…in a way, yes…but more like…” he paused, trying to think of better terms. “Sorry…I don’t know how to explain, so ya…let’s call it relationship problems.”

 

“Ah. So…what’s she like?” I ventured, hoping he’d spill his mind.

 

“She’s nothing special.” He said bluntly. “She’s average in looks, and well…pretty much everything she does. She’s not particularly good at anything. She’s not wealthy, she’s stubborn, annoying…and she always gets herself into trouble. She doesn’t handle stress well, she’s painfully clueless…and that sometimes makes her come off as heartless.”

 

“Wow, she sounds very…uh…” I trailed off, unsure of what to say.

 

“Its fine, I know she sounds like a weirdo.”

 

“Ya…it doesn’t seem like she would get anyone’s attention…no offense to you…or her.” I quickly added.

 

He chuckled, “I have accepted the fact that I’m probably not normal if I have my eyes on someone like her.”

 

“So uh…why DO you like her?”

 

“She’s nothing special by society’s standards, but she’s one of a kind to me.” He laughed, “it’s stupid I know…but she’s just…I don’t know, I guess it’s what one calls love? When you have an attraction for someone but can’t explain it? I’ve known her for a long time…I see things in her others don’t. I try to be there for her when I can.”

 

“Well, doesn’t she like you?”

 

“I don’t think she does. I think she’s into someone else. Besides…I can’t really go after her…”

 

“Why not? You sound like you could win her over easily.”

 

“I’m guilty of too many things.” He sighed. “I can’t possibly chain her down like that. They’re burdens I should bear on my own.”

 

“Burdens?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Oh…that sounds personal, so I won’t ask. But…I still think you should go after her.”

 

“You think?”

 

“Why not? You sound very nice and well, above decent, and if she can’t see that, especially when she’s really not all that special, she doesn’t deserve it.” I took a deep breath. “The least she can do is giving you a chance. And about those burdens…or guilt or whatever you call it…if you’re honest about…I’m sure it’ll work out.”

 

He stayed quiet, as if deep in thought. “Hm…thanks. I’ll consider it.”

 

“No problem. Go for it!”

 

“Oh…by the way, I never got to know your name…”

 

“Oh…my name’s-“

 

“ANYONE IN THERE?” A voice came from outside.

 

“YES!” Both of us and the mysterious boy called out at the same time.

 

“Sir! She’s in there! There’s someone else too!”

 

“What? Get them out!” Tabi’s urgent voice drifted closer.

 

“It was nice talking to you. We should hang out during the party too!” I said.

“And I’ll finally get to see your face!”

 

“Yes, that’d be great. It’d be better than being around those traitor friends of mine.”

 

We both laughed.

 

When the door finally opened, I immediately ran over to Tabi. “How’d you get stuck in there?” He is very concerned.

 

“Oh, it’s a long story. I made a new friend though!” I smiled happily and turned to my new friend. My face fell as my eyes met his. He stared back at me intensely.

 

“JIYONG?!”

 

He continued to stare at me, not uttering a word.

 

“What are you doing here?” Tabi asked, his demeanour calm, but his thoughts were probably racing.

 

“My friends dragged me here. I didn’t know it is for your party, they made it a surprise.” He rolled his eyes. “Don’t worry, I’ll leave…after I get my cell phone back from those traitor friends of mine.”

 

My jaw is open the entire time. He caught my gaze again. It looked as if he wanted to say something, but he just turned and walked away. I wanted to call out to him, but it is probably better if I didn’t. I remembered all the things he said…is he talking about me?

 

“Dara? Are you okay?” Tabi tapped me on the shoulder.

 

“Oh…yes. I’m fine.”

 

“Let’s go then, the party’s starting.”

 

I nodded quietly and turned to the direction Jiyong is heading. He is gone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~At the party~

 

Everyone clapped as the speaker finished off the speech, signaling the start of the party. It is exactly as Tabi has described it. I saw people lounging around and eating all sorts of expensive desserts. Some stood around and talked, but most remained by themselves. I started to look around, trying to find Jiyong.

I am not sure why, but I wanted to see him. ‘I hope he hasn’t left already…’

 

“Dara, how are you doing?” Tabi interrupted my search.

 

“Oh, it’s great.” I faked a smile. I had secretly wished it is Jiyong.

 

“You want to meet some of my friends?”

 

“…sure.” I am a bit shy, because I felt out of place. But it is better than being alone in the midst of the entire party, which made me look even more awkward.

 

“TABI, THERE YOU ARE!” Everyone turned around and immediately gasped. The woman ran up to Tabi and grabbed him into a tight embrace. I looked around at everyone, why do they seem so astonished?

 

A man watched as smiled brightly. “Enough, honey, you’re choking him.”

 

“Oh, but we haven’t seen him for the longest time! I miss him so much!”

 

“Honey, you’re embarrassing him.” The man broke off the bond and smiled. “But indeed, doesn’t he look as wonderful as always?”

 

“Yes. He’s grown into such a fine gentleman. It’s so much more refreshing to see him in person!”

 

I looked at Tabi, his expression absolutely dumbfounded.

 

“What’s the matter honey, aren’t you happy to see us?”

 

Tabi looked down, suddenly looking very worried. “Of course…but why didn’t you give me a call?”

 

“We wanted to surprise you, honey! Year after year, we were never here to celebrate your birthday with you…but we’re here now!”

 

I looked at the couple oddly, they were happy to see Tabi, but he didn’t look pleased to see them at all. In fact, he seemed afraid.

 

Tabi faced the woman and man tensely, taking a few strained steps towards them.

 

He first stopped in front of the woman. “Welcome back, mother…” he then turned to the man. “Father.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------

What will happen next?! Stay tune!