Episode 1

My Revenge, My Love.

2000, June 26th

Joohyun was sitting down infront of their small noodle eatery. She was such an intelligent and reliable child considering that she is able to take care of the store while taking care of her little brother, Jongin, at the same time. Their parents went out to deliver some of their customers' orders from them.

"Noona, I'm so hungry." Jongin cutely protested to his noona.

"Okay then. Just stay here and noona will make you a ramen." Joohyun patted her brother's head as she told him to wait for her.

"But noona, I have been eating ramen for the whole time. Can't I eat something else?" Jongin protested once again.

"Jongin, that's all we have here. We only serve noodles, right?" Joohyun explained to his innocent brother.

"I am already sick of eating the same thing again and again." Jongin continued to protest while looking away.

"Look at noona, Jongin. What day is it today?" Joohyun suddenly asked his brother.

"26th, Noona. Why?" Jongin asked with full of curiosity in his eyes.

"Then what do have in two days?" Joohyun asked him more.

"Today is 26th, 27th... 28th... Wait! 28th is the birthday of noona, right?" Jongin suddenly jumped in happiness when he realized it's Joohyun-noona's birthday on 28th.

"Appa and Umma promised me that we will go to Seoul to celebrate my birthday. With that, you can eat whatever you want to eat. Now, can you promise noona that you will wait for my birthday and eat ramen for now?" Joohyun asked his brother. 

"Okay noona. I promise." Jongin finally stopped protesting.

"Oh God, what a hard time to please this child." Joohyun muttered in her breath.

Joohyun went inside the kitchen and started preparing ramen for his brother. She then realized the fact that she is going nine years old this year. She realized that she should start to set her goals now and work on it. Yes, she is really an uptight girl. She isn't like some children who wish for toys or cakes during their birthdays. At a young age, she already felt that she should be helping her parents instead of giving them hard time to take care of her. Thus, her parents already trusted her enough that she can stand on her own.

She finally finished preparing her special ramen for her brother.

"Jongin! I'm done." Joohyun softly called her brother.

"Noona. It smells so good." Jongin hurridly approached his noona and started eating the ramen.

"Of course, I have to make it really delicious because it's made especially for you." Joohyun softly hugged his brother.

"Thank you noona." Jongin hugged his noona back.

While Jongin was eating, their parents have finally arrived.

"Joohyun, how's the store?" Mrs. Choi asked Joohyun right away.

"It was slow. Only few people ate awhile ago." Joohyun answered her mom.

"Have you eaten yet?" Mr. Choi asked her.

"I'm not yet hungry. And I waited for Appa and Umma to come home before I eat. Jongin was already hungry so I let him eat already." Joohyun replied to her dad.

"Wow, our daughter is really sweet. We're so lucky to have her as our daughter, yeobo." Mrs. Choi said and was touched by her daughter's affection for them.

"I know, jagiya. We raised her well." Mr. Choi proudly told to his wife.

"It's because my parents are daebak!" Joohyun proudly said.

"My little girl, you're making Umma cry right now." Mrs. Choi said and suddenly hugged her daughter.

"Joohyun, Appa believes you have a bright future ahead of you." Mr. Choi told his daughter and hugged her.

"Why don't I get a hug too?" Jongin, who was secretly watching them, suddenly protested.

"Aww, our baby boy is jealous. Come here to Umma. I'll hug you." Mrs. Choi called her son.

"Lord, thank you for giving me this kind of family. Please take care of them. I love them so much." Joohyun closed her eyes and prayed to God.

The day finally passed by. They already closed their small eatery and went home which was only few walks away.

"Joohyun, it's only two days more before your birthday. Is there anything else you want for your special day?" Mr. Choi asked Joohyun.

"Appa, you have done enough for me. Just celebrating my birthday with you is enough." Joohyun answered her father.

"You're a really great daughter, Joohyun. I'm blessed to have you." Mr. Choi suddenly teared up.

"Appa. It's because you're a great Appa to me." Joohyun suddenly hugged her father.

"Yeobo, don't cry in public. People will see you." Mrs. Choi suddenly asked her husband.

"I'm just so touched with our daughter." He answered.

"I know. Just carry Jongin. He's so heavy now." Mrs. Choi said as she handled Jongin to her husband.

They arrived at their home. Joohyun excused herself and went to her room.


Dear Diary,

            Two days more and it's my birthday. Thank you Lord for giving me the best family. This is the best gift I've ever had. I couldn't ask for more.

                                                                                                                                                       - Joohyun


"Joohyun! It's time to eat dinner." Her mom called her from the dining room.

"I'm coming Umma." She replied half-shoutedly.

Seohyun went down and they started eating dinner. After they ate, they had few talks about their plans for Joohyun's birthday.

"Okay, so we will visit Lotte World, we will watch movies and eat in a restaurant. Do you want to suggest more activities?" Mr. Choi asked.

"That's already enough for me dad. I'm thankful enough for these things." Joohyun stood up as she hugged her parents.

"Appa, Umma. On my birthday, I also like to have like Joohyun-noona's celebration." Jongin stood up and also joined the group hug.

"Of course, anything for our baby boy." Mrs. Choi said.

"Okay, we better sleep now. We have to wake up early tomorrow." Mr. Choi suggested.

Joohyun went to her room and took a bath. After she changed into her sleeping clothes, she laid on her bed and later on, she fell asleep.

*

"Appa, I'm really thankful for this day. I will never forget this." Joohyun told her dad.

Suddenly, her mother shouted. "Yeobo! The child!"

Mr. Choi ran his way to save the child who was standing in the middle of the road.

"Appa! No!" Joohyun shouted as tears started to fall down from eyes.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Joohyun shouted as she got up in her bed. She was having a nightmare.

Mrs. Choi, who was in the middle of her sleep, heard and came to her running, "Honey, what happened to you?"

"I had a nightmare, Umma." Joohyun said as she started to cry.

"Don't worry my daughter. It's only a dream. Hold on. Umma will get you a water." Mrs. Choi said and left the room.

"God, it was so real. Please don't let it happen." She thought to herself.

Mrs. Choi came back and said, "Okay, sleep this glass of water and get back to sleep. Also pray so that you won't have nightmare again."

"Good night, Umma." Joohyun said to her mom with a thankful look in her eyes.

"Good night, honey." Mrs. Choi said and went back to her room.