Leading Lady

Childhood friends

 

Your P.O.V.

Indeed. One year was such a short time. I’m wearing my academic dress now. I’ll graduate today. How I wish Minhwan and the others could celebrate here with me. Minhwan’s last call was on my birthday. And that was like 5 months ago. He’s so busy these days. He doesn’t even answer my emails. I wonder if he still loves me. He asked me to trust him and I promised to do that.

“_____. I’m so proud of you.” My appa said then hugged me. I smiled. I am so happy now. “Did Minhwan call?” umma asked me. “Ani~ he doesn’t even answer my messages.” I said. I pouted. “Ya! Smile! Who knows maybe he has a surprise.” Umma told me.

Surprise? Does she know something that I don’t? Finally, my name was called. “_____, Summa Laude.” Yay! I’m so proud of myself. After sufferings, I finally got my diploma and medal. I’ll go back to South Korea. I promise.

We went home. It seemed so quiet from the outside. I thought we’ll be celebrating. Why isn’t there any trace of celebration in our house? I opened the door and sat on the couch. I noticed that my parents didn’t follow me. Oh well, I don’t care. I took my phone from my pocket. There isn’t a single message from Minari. That guy! How dare he make me wait?

“Did Minhwan call you?” my umma asked as she saw my phone in my hand. “Aniyo. He doesn’t even care. If he calls me today, I’ll shout at him.” I told her. “What if you see him today?” she asked. “I’ll slap him.” I answered. Wait. Did she just ask what I will do if I see him today? Will I see him today?

“Should I just go back to Korea?” a familiar voice asked. Minhwan appeared from our front door. He was holding a bouquet of white roses. I stood up and wasn’t able to move. Is this a dream? He walked towards me.

“I thought you’ll slap me.” he said then gave me the bouquet. I was just standing there staring at him. Was it really Minhwan? “Ya! Are you alright?” He asked. I hugged him tight. He giggled. I saw umma smiling. “Why didn’t you even text me?” I asked as I pushed him slightly away.

“I want to surprise you.” He said. “5 months?!” I yelled. “Don’t shout. It’s embarrassing.” he whispered then smiled at my mom. “I don’t care.” I pouted. He messed my hair. “You missed me?” he asked. I looked at him and narrowed my eyes. “Aniyo.” I lied.

“Jinja? I thought you miss me a lot. Shall I go back to Korea so you’ll miss me more?” he asked me. “Ya! Bogoshippeo.” I said. He hugged me. “Enough with that! I don’t want to see my daughter on another man’s arms.” Appa said. We laughed. “The spaghetti is ready. Go eat now.” Umma said.

We ate and laughed with my parents. It’s their first time seeing each other after lots of years but they seemed to be very close. I suddenly remembered my plan. I want to move to South Korea. “Umma.” I caught her attention. “Wae?” she asked. “Is it alright if we move back to Korea?” I asked.

Minhwan and Appa seemed to be shocked. “Immediately?” Minhwan asked. “I feel more comfortable there.” I explained. “I’ll also find a job there. Finding a job here will be pretty hard for me.” I continued. Appa looked at umma. I know they’re worried.

I saw appa took a deep breath. “If that’s what you like.” He said. “Jeongmal?” I asked to make sure I heard it correctly. “Ne. Stay in our house. Work hard. We’ll follow after one year.” He said. “After one year?” Umma asked. “The company opened a branch in Seoul. I’ll ask if they can transfer me there.” Appa said. I was so happy. This day is really my day! I’m so excited. I want to go back to Korea!

Minhwan’s P.O.V.

It’s been a week since _____ and I went back to Korea. She’s still looking for a job so she still has a lot of free time. I decided to drag her to our MV shoot. We’ll finally make a MV for our “First Kiss” song. I wonder who’ll do the kiss. Kekeke.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” She greeted everyone. “Oh! _____.” Hongki greeted her like a puppy. Seconds later, they all swarmed around. “How are you?” Jaejin asked. “I’m fine. I guess everyone here is fine.” She answered. “You still look pretty.” Jonghoon said. We all looked at him.

“Mwo?” he asked. “I’m stating a fact. My Eun Ji is still prettier.” He continued. “Ya! My _____ is prettier.” I told her. They laughed. Jonghoon and I are like brothers. Our relationship became stronger after the incident.

“FT Island! Come here.” Director called. “Just stay here. The staff is kind. ” I assured her. She smiled and saw her sat beside our stylist noonas. “It’s always Hongki who’s the star in your MVs. This time, we planned to use Minhwan instead.” Director said. “Me?!” I complained.

“First Kiss is about a guy’s thoughts of what to do with his first kiss. Hongki seems to be very manly nowadays. Another is that, many Primadonnas what you to be the lead this time. Honestly, I think the role suits you so much.” He added.

I looked at _____. She’s talking with the noonas. She looked so happy. Ottoke? Will she get mad? I walked towards her. “_____, can I talk to you?” I said. She followed me immediately. “Wae?” she asked innocently. I explained to her what director told us.

“Oh. So you need to kiss someone?” she asked me. “Ne. But no feelings involved. I promise.” I told her. “Hahaha. Are you afraid I might get angry? It’s fine. I understand.” She said. I hugged her tight then hurried to director.

“She understands.” I told him. “Good.” He replied then his phone rang. “Yoboseyeo?” I heard him answer. “Mwo? But we can’t cancel the shoot any more. Sue the agency.” He continued then hung up. “Is there a problem?” Jonghoon hyung asked.

“The girl who’ll be the leading lady can’t come. She backed out and went on another agency.” Director explained. “We don’t have enough time.” Hongki hyung said. “Ne. We need to find a substitute as soon as possible.” Director said.

“_____. Can’t she do it?” Seunghyun suggested. I saw director look at _____. “Minhwan, can’t she do it? She’s pretty and looks young. She suits the role.” Director asked me. “Oh. I don’t know if she’ll accept the offer.” I told them then I hurried to _____.

“Can I talk to you again?” I told her. “Wae? I told you it’s fine with me. I understand you need to do those stuffs for your work.” She said calmly. “Aniyo. The leading lady won’t be able to come. Is it ok if you replace her?” I asked.

“Mwo?! Can you hear what you’re saying?!” she shouted. “Ya! Don’t shout at me.” I told her. “Mianhe. But. Me? I don’t act.” She said then walked towards director. I ran behind her. Omo. Is this trouble? “Excuse me sir.” She said politely. “Will you accept it?” Director asked.

“I’m a fashion designer not an artist. I’m so sorry but I don’t think I can do this MV.” She said. “You’re a fashion designer? I’ll give you a deal. Show me your works and if I like it, I’ll hire you as FT Island’s fashion designer. In return, you need to act in this MV.” He said. With the looks of _____’s face, I know she’s thinking twice about this.

“_____. Please do it. For FT Island.” Jaejin pleaded. “It would be better than seeing Minari kissing another girl.” Hongki said. “Ya! Yeobo! Do it for me.” I told her. It was my first time calling her “yeobo” so I know she’s shocked. “Yeobo?” She asked. She looked so confused.

“Deal?” Director asked. She looked at me then back at director. She took a deep breath and said yes. “That’s my girl!” I said then hugged her tight. She smiled and said “You owe me one.” “I won’t owe you anything once you get the job.” I told her.