I'll be Korea

Childhood friends

“Hello?” I answered the phone. It was my adviser. She just told me very good news. “Umma!!” my voice rang in our house.

“Ne?” my mom asked. I ran towards her and said “Umma. My college adviser told me that I’ll represent our college. I’ll be sent to Korea as an exchange student.”

“Jinja? Great! I’m happy for you _____.” Umma told me. “Will you and Appa come with me?” I asked her. “Aniyo. Your father and I need to look after the shop. Your Imo will look after you.” She answered.

“Umma…” I said while looking at her. I was hoping she’ll change her mind. “_____...You’re a Korean. You’ll be able to adapt easily.” She responded. Hearing that, there was nothing else to talk about. All I replied was a faint smile.

̴5 months later

“Ddal. Be good there!” Umma said to me as she and Appa accompany me to the airport. “Ne.” I answered her. “Study hard and be brave.” Appa uttered.

“Appa, I’ll be brave. I promise!” I assured him. “Go now. The plane might leave you.” Umma said as a voice calls the passengers to my plane flight. “Bye Umma.” I told her then hugged her tight.

“Appa…” I said then he hugged me. It’ll be another year since I’ll be able to hug them again. “Go now. Be safe.” Appa told me. “Ne. I’ll be back! Bye! Kekeke…” I promised them. “Your imo will be at the airport.” She said as she waved her hand.