Chapter 62

Truly Madly Deeply

Key came home from Minho’s house with yoogeun safely tucked in his arms. As he entered the door, Lauren walked over to him and stared at the baby in his arms.

“Sweetie, you remember Yoogeunnie right? He’s going to stay with us tonight” Key cooed as Yoogeun yawned and shifted around. He bent down to allow Lauren to look at the baby and her curious eyes widened as she started at the baby. She remembers the baby from before.

“Yeobo, come sit down. Sweetheart, you come too” Jonghyun said as he motioned for them to enter the living room. He picked up the bags and placed them on the floor. Lauren followed them like an innocent puppy, she had opened up quite a bit to Key and Jonghyun. Even though she’s not talking yet, she still nods or shakes her heads to answer their questions. However, seeing Yoogeun again made her think of her past. Even though she’s still a little girl, she remembers being all alone at the orphanage with only her toys and dolls beside her. She doesn’t like feeling alone and having her umma and appa here is the best thing she could ask for.

“Lauren sweetie, your umma and I have to finish cleaning up and then we will tuck you in shortly. Continue to play with Yoogeun and we’ll come immediately if you need us, ok?” Lauren nodded as Jonghyun and Key left the living room and went into the kitchen to clean up the dishes.

Yoogeun opened his eyes and he stared at Lauren while she stared back. She extended her pointer finger and held it in front her Yoogeun, waving it back and forth. A small smile dawned on her face when she saw the baby’s wide eyes following her finger. Suddenly Yoogeun reached up and grabbed her finger, holding onto it tightly. Lauren could only stare at the small hand gripping onto her finger tightly as if he was afraid of being alone. Lauren leaned in closer and closer until their noses touched, Yoogeun was like a little brother that she never had. Even though she knows that Yoogeun had parents, tonight he is alone with her and her parents. She doesn’t want him to feel lonely like she felt back then.

The baby giggled as Lauren rubbed their noses together, his tiny hand continues to grip onto her finger. She lifted her head and gently placed a kiss on Yoogeun’s forehead, Lauren remembers her umma doing that for her every night as he tucks her in after reading her a bedtime story, then her appa would do the same before saying good night. She hopes she will get a kiss again from her parents tonight.

Lauren gave Yoogeun one of her precious smiles and she giggled when he gave one back, showing his gummy smile and puffy cheeks. Lauren could resist but to poke it and another giggle erupted from the baby. Lauren likes staying here, she is not alone anymore and she could always cuddle with her umma and appa. Suddenly Yoogeun started to whine, it was nearing his bed time and he started to get moody. Little cries started and Lauren could see tiny droplets of tears appearing in his eyes. Oh no, Lauren does not want the baby to cry, she doesn’t want the baby to feel sad. Thinking hard, Lauren did something that her umma and appa always does when she wakes up from a nightmare in the middle of the night.

“G-Geunnie...l-l-love you...Lauren...loves...you” Lauren’s voice came out as a whisper as she had not used it for a very long time. She continues to say it to the baby and smiles as Yoogeun’s cries turn into whimpers as he hears her voice and focus on the sound even though it was barely above a whisper. Lauren continues to sing to Yoogeun that she failed to notice Key and Jonghyun behind her. They were in shock and in tears, their baby girl was speaking. Even though her first words were not directed to them, they are able to hear her beautiful voice as they had always hoped.

“Lauren...umma and appa loves you too” Key said as he and Jonghyun approached her. Lauren turned around and stared as her umma and appa sat down beside her.

“That was beautiful sweetie, look Yoogeun stopped crying now” Lauren looked down and saw that Yoogeun had somehow stopped and his eyes were starting to become droopy, slowly falling asleep. Key picked Yoogeun up and Lauren watched as the baby’s grip loosened and released her finger.

“Lauren, umma and appa love you too. Always remember that, we will never leave you, never” Jonghyun pulled Lauren into a tight hug and kissed her forehead. Lauren felt her eyes tear up; she was slowly accepting that her umma and appa would not leave her like they did before. She started to understand that it was not because they didn’t love her, her original parents didn’t leave her because they wanted to. It was an accident and her parents couldn’t stay with her. Key and Jonghyun say that to her and that now she has four parents loving her at the same time.

“U-umma...a-ap-appa” Lauren cries as she tightly holds onto Jonghyun, gripping onto his shirt tightly.

“Yes, we are your umma and appa!” Jonghyun said as he tightened the hold he had on her, looking at Key and watching the tears flow down his face. Lauren had started to accept them as parents and loving them as her parents.

“Lauren, our baby girl, you have such a beautiful voice. We have been waiting to hear you call us umma and appa ever since you came home. Don’t cry, are you hurting somewhere?” Lauren shakes her head as she hides her face in Jonghyun’s shirt.

“Lauren...loves you b-both. Please d-don’t leave me” Key tries to hold back a sob as he heard what Lauren said. She knows that her late parents loved her very much but to hear the words being directed to him and Jonghyun, it was one of the happiest moments in their lives.

“Appa and umma loves you as well” Jonghyun wipes the tears from Lauren’s soft face and kissed her forehead softly, pulling Key and Lauren into a hug.

They have been waiting for this moment and it finally came.