Chapter 48

Truly Madly Deeply

 

                When Key and Jonghyun got to the adoption centre, they were greeted by a man, assuming he was MInseok’s brother.

                “Hello, I assume you two are Jonghyun and Key? Minseok hyung told me about the situation, there’s no discrimination between ual preferences so no need to worry. Are there any preferences between gender and age?” Key looked at Jonghyun and shook their heads.

                “As long as they are healthy, that’s fine with us” Minhyuk nodded his head and lead them down the hallway. They passed through several rooms and Key could see very adorable and cute children in there. One little girl caught his eyes, he tried to steal another glance before heading to the office. When they arrived at the office, Minhyuk sat down and pulled out a few documents.

                “I just need you two to fill out some forms and if we find a suitable child, you could bring them home for a few days to see how they adapt to the surroundings” as soon as Key finished, he couldn’t hold back his question.

                “Do you know who’s the little girl in one the rooms when we walked in? She had brown hair and she just looked like an adorable little doll” Minhyuk pulled out another file and showed it to Key.

                “Her name’s Lauren Hanna. She’s just four years old this year; she’s a strong little thing. Her appa was Canadian and umma was Korean. About half a year ago, her parents were driving to pick her up from pre-school, but a very unfortunate car accident took both of their lives. She has no other relatives so she was sent to us. Surprisingly, she has not shed a tear for them; I think she still hasn’t accepted the fact that they’re gone. Even though she’s only four, she’s pretty mature for her age. A lot of people wanted to adopt her because of her beauty and cute looks, but they always return her because she doesn’t talk to them and doesn’t acknowledging them. She was just returned a few weeks ago from another family, I think she has the highest return rates from all the children here” Key and Jonghyun listened carefully, when they looked at the picture, it was probably taken when her parents were still alive. Now looking at her, she was just silently playing with her dolls, not even with a hint of smile on her face.

                “Jongie, I think she’s the one. You should take a look at her and tell me that she’s not the one” Minhyuk led them to her room and they looked inside, she had her head down and she was just staring at her doll. Key carefully opened the door and stepped inside, he knelt down in front of her so he was at level with her.

                “Hello Lauren, my name’s Key. How are you doing today?” Lauren still wouldn’t lift her head up. Key doesn’t know if she was shy or if she doesn’t like to talk to people, he motioned for Jonghyun to come inside and they both were in front of her.

                “She hasn’t said anything since she came here; I’ve been told by the nurses that she also hasn’t shed a tear, no matter how much pain she’s in. I remember seeing her falling on the floor, but all she did was sat there until a nurse came and carried her to get her patched up. She’s a strange child, but we’re hoping the right family would come and she would open up. Maybe you’re that family” Minhyuk patted Lauren’s head, she looked up and Key and Jonghyun both knew that she would be the daughter for them.

                “It doesn’t matter; we’ll be very patient with her. I’m sure we can get her to love us and open to us. Jongie, what do you think?” Key was scared that Jonghyun might not agree with him, he really felt a connection with her.

                “I agree with you, yeobo. I think she would be our future daughter” Key happily laughed before pulling Jonghyun into a hug. Minhyuk told them they could wait in the room with Lauren while he processes the paperwork. Key and Jonghyun both sat on the bed, each on one side of Lauren, she still didn’t look at them. Even though it was just silence, it was a comfortable kind. Jonghyun looked at her and he could see the beauty in her, he was just afraid that when she grows up, he would have to fight away all the erts from her. Key wanted to braid her hair and to take her shopping, but most of all; he wanted to tell her that she won’t be left alone again. Minhyuk came back and told them that the paperwork is all done and they could take her home. Key gently picked her up along with her doll while Jonghyun brought along all the clothes in a small bag Minhyuk provided. All three of them got into the car with Lauren in the back, key kept on looking back to see if she was uncomfortable or not but she just stared at the doll on her lap. Just then, Key’s cellphone rang and it was Taemin.

                “Baby, what’s wrong? You’re coming over for dinner? Ok, umma will cook you something delicious tonight, oh and there’s a surprise when you get here. Ok, see you in an hour” Key hung up and looked back at Lauren again, she had fallen asleep and now he could see her cute little face.

                “Yeobo, I’m sure we’ll be great parents, look at how well you raise Taemin. I just realized that Taemin will have a little sister and Yoogeun has an auntie now” Jonghyun laughed as Key’s face lit up as he finally realized that their family is just getting bigger and bigger. As soon as they got home, Key brought Lauren up and placed her on a bed. Lauren looked around and was surprised to see that it was so much bigger than the one at the adoption center, but once she saw Key and Jonghyun looking at her, she quickly dropped her head again. Jonghyun found that extremely adorable, he couldn’t wait to hear her call them appa and umma.

                “Lauren, in 15 minutes, there’s going to be some more people coming. Don’t worry; they’re nice people so they won’t hurt you. They also have a baby called Yoogeunnie, he’s still a baby so I think you might like him” Lauren didn’t show any reaction but for once, she looked right at Key. Jonghyun squealed like a little girl, causing Lauren look at him, making him squeal like a girl even more.

                “OMG!! SHE LOOKED AT ME!!” Jonghyun screamed as he was debating whether to hug her or not. He decided to grab her little hand and put it in his. She just stared at it while Key took her other hand. Her hands were so small but it felt right, Key and Jonghyun was smiling at her, trying to get a reacton out of her. She remained emotionless but at least she was able to look at them so it was progress. Jonghyun decided to carry her down while Key went into the kitchen to start preparing for dinner. After  a few minutes, Taemin and Minho came through the door with Yoogeun in their arms. The first thing that Jonghyun noticed was the bruise on Taemin’s face.

                “Taemin! What happened to your cheek? How did you get it?” Key heard Jonghyun’s voice and ran to Taemin’s side, he inspected Taemin’s cheek carefully.

                “It’s nothing big umma, appa. There was just an incident at home today but it’s all resolved. I missed umma’s cooking so decided to drop by for dinner. Umma, what’s the surprise you wanted to tell us?” before Key could say anything, Minho spoke up.

                “Minnie, if you look at the couch, I think you’ll know why” Taemin looked over and saw the cutest little girl sitting there quietly, she tried to avoid looking at their faces but she wanted to see who’s the new people in the house.

                “OMG!! Umma, you’re an umma again! She’s so cute” Taemin slowly went over and looked at her, she lowered her head and stared at her tiny hands.

                “Her name’s Lauren, we just got her today. She’s still not speaking to people, so far we’ve only gotten her to look at us” Key was happy that they were at least able to get that far in a few hours. Minho placed Yoogeun beside Lauren and she stared at the little baby, she looked at the doll beside her and back at Yoogeun, they were about the same size so Lauren just thought he was another doll to play with but had to be handled more carefully. Everyone watched as she slowly moved closer to Yoogeun adn held into his little hand. Everyone aww’d when he closed his fist around her finger, smiling and gurgling at Lauren.

                “Lauren, Yoogeunnie’s going to be your nephew now, so please love him very much” Jonghyun patted her head and she looked at Jonghyun as if saying that she understands. Taemin then followed Key into the kitchen to prepare the food, leaving Minho and Jonghyun alone with the children.

                “Minho seriously, what happened to Taemin’s cheek? Did some crazy chick sneak into your house again?” Jonghyun heard of that incident from Key and his blood boiled after he heard that.

                “No, it was one of my partners. When I was having a video conference in my office, he already had his eyes on Taemin; I didn’t know that he would come to my house a little while after. We went into my office for a little discussion and he excused himself to go to the washroom. He didn’t come back for a long while and I thought I heard Yoogeun crying so I went to check on Taemin. That’s when I found that basta- um, bad man on top of Taemin and trying to, you know, to him. The police came and arrested him, but it was my fault for not knowing what his intentions were in the first place” Jonghyun nodded, he thought it would be best to keep it from Key or he would literally march to the police station and kill the man. Jonghyun looked over and still saw Lauren playing with Yoogeun, well more like staring than playing. He smiled and hoped that he would be able to hear her say appa one day.