Chapter Fifty Eight

Misunderstood, The
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris sat in his newly acquired office. A huge smile plastered on his face.

When Jaejoong told him of the meeting he held with Nana, he didn't really think within a few days time he would be the new Second in Command. He kept looking around at the office that had become his second home because of Jaejoong. In effect, he only received the space that used to belong to the older man, since he had moved into Nana's old space.

The fact that she had given up so easily however, made him feel rather insecure about his position as new second in command.

If he recalled Jaejoong's rendition of what happened, Nana had simply said 'it's fine, do what you must' in so many words. She didn't put up a fight, bicker, or struggle against it. Kris couldn't tell if she was so unaffected because in the end, she still owned Agit Night, or if she was truly so “in love” with Yixing, that nothing could bother her at the moment.

He wanted to believe it was because she knew she still owned the business rather than believe she was actually in love. The latter thought seemed foolish to him. Even though, he himself, had never been in love before, he know that it would be a hardship for him to give up lead position in a business he had built from the ground up. Maybe Nana didn't feel such a strong connection to it as him because she only dreamed the business up while Jaejoong did all the manual labor. He couldn't be sure, but as he sat in the desk chair that used to belong to Jaejoong, the feelings of usurpation continuously crept through his mind.

“Nice office,” a bright voice called from by the door.

Addi.

Kris immediately stood, his eyes fixed on the tall woman and her unruly head of curls. Her outfit today was just as bright as the last few he had seen her wear, a simple form fitting white dress with big bright flowers colored onto one side of the material from the knee line to the neck line. It seemed  each outfit fit her nicely and expressed her role as a public person ready for an audience.

He smiled at her, “Thanks, though I can't take credit for any of this. Besides, it's not like you don't know who all of this belongs to anyway.”

She smirked, the dimple in her brown complexioned face deepening, “It belongs to you. Besides, its my way of saying congratulations on the promotion.” She walked into the office, sitting in the chair opposite Kris at his hand gesture. “Not many people have enough ambition to do what you did Kris. You didn't even climb the promotional latter, you just went from base employee to Jaejoong's PA like that,” she snapped her fingers in exclamation.

He bowed his head, rather bashful at her words.

“How did you do it? Sleep with the boss?” she chuckled with a knowing glint in her eyes.

His fist unwillingly clenched at that last question, the bashful smile leaving his face. Sure he wanted to be someone important, and he wanted it at all cost. But he didn't know how much it would sting to be told he got to the top, the cheap and easy way.

Jaejoong tried to tell him that months ago, but he didn't listen.

Even though his fist were clenched, the red creeping around his ears was enough to let Addi know he was bothered. She folded her arms and leaned back in her seat.

“You can't do that, get angry I mean,” she spoke calmly.

He was embarrassed.

“I'm the PR Kris, it's my business to know everything that can affect this business publicly. And you being the Second in Command can definitely do so,” she spoke again.

“What do you mean?” Kris furrowed his thick eyebrows.

“You don't think the media will be curious to know why every woman's woman isn't on top of her throne any longer? Why men are now running the business? And just who is this Kris, and how did he get promoted?” she talked as if she were a reporter. “Oh, I know the answer! He slept with his boss,” she ended in the plainest voice possible.

He sat back, stunned. He hadn't thought that far at all.

“What about during a press conference, and a reporter directly ask you that question? Will you ball your fist and turn red with embarrassment so easily then as well?”

Truly he didn't know what to say except that she was right. He was so excited about achieving his goal, and so nervous about how long he would stay there, that he didn't even consider other formalities that went along with being in such a position.

“What should I say? Yes, I slept with her?” he asked modestly.

“Of course you should say that,” she smiled teasingly. “After saying yes and listening to the audience gasp like I know they would. Calmly explain that she was the one who initiated you within the company, as they all know company procedures. Though you did sleep with her multiple times, letting them know about that one instance should be enough.”

He didn't know why, but Jaejoong always put him around people who knew their job well, and tested his own limits so he can learn his job well. At that moment, he was thankful that Jaejoong introduced him to someone like Addi. There was much to be learned from her.

“And what if they do ask how many times?” he questioned.

“Then you kindly remind them that the conference is not about your life and if they wanted to inquire more, give them a price for a night with you,” she smirked.

He blushed unknowingly at her answer. He didn't physically feel flustered, but weirdly enough, his mind did. The feelings of using most of his adulthood brain focusing on nothing but his mother was catching up to him and showing him up. Yes, he was smart and a very fast learner. There was no doubt that within a year's time, he would be a Jaejoong or an Addi, but right now it seemed he would constantly need the guidance of the two.

His pride in matters sometimes made him want to avoid asking for help, but that hadn't gotten him anywhere.  For the mean time, he would need to rely on these two people. Jaejoong, who he was already looking at like an older brother, and Addi, who he wasn't quite sure how to look at just yet...or where.

“Noted,” he mumbled quietly, eyes fleetingly meeting hers.

“Don't be so embarrassed Kris,” she laughed lightly. “You know, I remember the first day you came here, nearly eight months ago.”

“I don't recall seeing you my first day.”

“Not in person. I saw you in a recording when you were standing before Nana and Jae gloriously in nothing but your gray briefs,” she snickered.

Kris sat up straight, wondering how she saw him like that. Even though he was seen multiple times since he began working at Agit, the thought of Addi seeing in such little clothing made him uneasy.

“Don't be so shocked. Remember, PR,” she pointed to herself. “And you were the second addition to our public campaign. Of course I had to know what you looked like and what I see now is what I saw then. I thought you were bashful just now because you didn't know the answer, but you were even bashful back then. So I have a question. I know you are obviously ambitious, but by nature are you also a timid person?”

“Yeah, I am. I don't really talk much until I am comfortable. Otherwise I have to be provoked to talk.”

“And when you're provoked, or angry, do you usually say the right thing?”

“Never,” he smiled.

“Then what about incentives? What impels you to talk on behalf of this business?”

“My ambition,” he answered quickly. “I initially came here because I had nothing. All of a sudden I wanted something, anything. That feeling of helplessness was enough to provoke me into action. To do things I would have never thought of, things my mother would dislike me for,” he swallowed.

Addi looked down at the desk, recognizing an heartfelt expression when she saw one. He was being honest and for that she was thankful. As the PR, she had to make sure Kris was prepared to go places while making the business look its best. She needed to know he would be someone trustworthy, that was her whole purpose of being assigned to him by Jaejoong.

“Do you have clients tonight?” she asked.

“I have clients almost every night,” he laughed off the awkwardness he felt in the air.

“Don't worry, we have settled these Asian promotions now, especially since you have moved up the latter within this business. You won't be assigned clients anymore unless you chose to serve now. But I get a feeling you won't be choosing that option.”

He only smiled in return, the perks of his new promotion sounding extremely pleasing to his ears.


~~~~~~~~~


Nana sat stoically against her chair within her room. Her heart was beating and breaking all at the same time. It seemed unnatural to her.

What had Yixing said? He was leaving?

No, that wasn't the problem.

He asked if she loved...him.

She was as stiff as a plank, while almond shaped eyes studied her from across the room. He, too, was nervous. He meant to ask her this days ago, but he couldn't bring himself to do so. Every time he would look up, feeling like he had enough courage, something in his mind would tell him not to do it. He wasn't sure what it was that he wanted, and her obvious hesitation at answering his question wasn't reassuring him in the least. He had held this discussion with himself days prior t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter