Chapter Fifty Seven

Misunderstood, The
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaejoong waited patiently inside of Nana's office, his thoughts running a mile a minute about the words he would like to use to express himself. It's not that he wanted to degrade her any, it was just the fact that he had to tell her about herself period, that would degrade her regardless. She had acted brashly, unprofessionally, and selfishly. She still owned this business, there was no doubt about that, but as far as her steadily making hands on decisions? Jaejoong, thought it was time to implement his right as second in command and take over that role.

She would have her say, but by no means would it be the final decision.

“What can I help you with?” the small lady started. Entering the office and completely bypassing the rules of greetings first, business later.

Jaejoong let out a sigh, “As far as I am concerned, nothing. Your performance these last few months have been pitiful to say the least.” He wasn't worried about feelings, or how she would take his words. He had said he didn't want to degrade her, but that would be done regardless.

“What are you saying? That I can't handle myself?” she snarled.

“Not at all,” he sat up straighter. “Just that you can't handle this business as well as you used to.” His eyes scanned the space around her face. The furrowed eyebrows, and tight mouth telling him that she was confused and insulted. Her dark rose colored nails clenched at her black and white pencil dress. The nervous tapping of her rose colored heels sounding out around the room in a unspoken rage.

It was all building, and he hoped she contained herself. He was not removing her from office, just from her seat.

“Jae, tell me exactly what it is that you are saying,” she spoke lowly.

He cleared his throat, thankful that she hadn't snapped...yet. She wanted honesty in exact words, so he would give it.

“Your dealings with Yixing,” a quick snap of her eyes from his face to the floor let him know that she knew what he was about to say. She knew, “they have been less than professional, and before that, with Kris. This is your business by every right and I understand that, but this is still a business. Precautions for it's survival must be taken, and if the leader can not handle his or her duty, then they are to be promptly removed and replaced by those more suited to do the job.”

“Section twenty seven, Code of Conduct,” she whispered, eyes snapping back up to meet his. “You’re reciting regulation to me now?” she spat out with an unbelieving air.

“Only so you can know it's standard and not my own make up,” he responded gravely. “I'm not taking you off the board, I wouldn't do that.”

“But you are demoting me,” her voice was terse with the knowledge. “What are you doing? Replacing your role with mine? Making me second in charge?”

He shook his head in the negative. He still wouldn't give her so much power, there was something else that worried him.

“I, I don't think you, want to be in such a high position,” he stumbled over his words to find the right ones. “I mean, you love this business, I know that. But ever since Yixing, it seems, to me, correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems to me that you would rather more time to spend elsewhere, than with this company all the time.”

He quietly watched her face for reaction and he saw it. That look in her eyes telling him that he had gotten it right.

“I don't have anyone to spend that extra time with,” she said in a voice so low he barely heard her.

He looked at her closely as her words soaked into his brain. What did she mean she didn't have anyone? The first person that came to mind was Yixing.

“Can you, no, do you want to explain?”

She kept her eyes down, the black and white dress snugging her frame, showcasing every nervous breath she took.

“I'm no fool Jaejoong,” she snapped. “I can tell that he doesn't want me the same way I want him!”

“Nana-,”

“Don't! Please. I don't need it. I know I basically sabotaged myself running after someone like him. But he was so hard to ignore, since the first day I saw him. I don't even know why. Why him?” she laughed bitterly.

Why not him?

“I can see for myself that there is no one for him but his mother. He hardly mentions her around me, but every itching chance he gets to go see her and his siblings, there is a different glow to him. I always thought a man was happiest after , but look at how wrong! He is the happiest when I say he can see her!”

Jaejoong, didn't know what to say to that, or if he should say anything at all. Yes, he knew Nana didn't love him back, but he never thought she would so easily, fall in love with someone else.

The strong willed woman who couldn't be told 'No' looked like she was denied the one thing she wanted most. She looked as  if she would have accepted a thousand 'No's' if only to have this one 'Yes'.

Yes, Nana, Yixing loves you too.

What she would give to hear that?

“Take my place, take everything, because I don't need it. I will be fine making decisions from the side lines,” her smile was weak and bitter, an obvious lie.

He watched her rise, the pencil dress falling appropriately around her knees. Her small hands smoothing out invisible wrinkles. She ran her fingers through her hair unnecessarily, a habit Jaejoong grew accustomed to recognizing as a sign of feigned confidence. She walked out of the room, every bit a lady as she entered. But broken. He winced admitting it to himself.


~~~~~~~~~


Proverbs 30:5, 6 “Every saying of God is refined. He is a shield to those taking refuge in him. Add nothing to his words, that he may not reprove you, and that you may not have to be proved a liar.”

But who is God?

Jongdae snorted to himself as he repeatedly read that scripture in the bible Mrs. An

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter