35

Specialist - The Journey

 

It was hilly and every meter we walked it got a bit more rocky until there were barely any trees left and only rocks. It surprised me how much variety this planet had, from the three moons and two suns to having dense forests and suddenly rocky landscapes. 

We came to a cliff and I felt the necklace pull me slightly, like it wanted to go down the steep cliff into the deep unknown. ‘We need to find a way down.’ I said turning to face everyone. ‘I’ll go check around.’ Kris said briskly as he shoot up and flew along the side of the cliff. Fellise followed him and together they searched. We heard Fellise give out a cry and in just a few seconds Kris and her had returned. ‘Over there’s a very narrow staircase, it will lead us down.’ He said pointing to our right. 

And it was not just narrow. No it was very super narrow. ‘So, ladies first?’ Eli mumbled as we starred at the stairs. ‘Very funny.’ I growled as I passed him and carefully tested the first step to make sure it was stable. I preceded this way with every step as Kris, Fellise, Hyde and Andy flew at our sides, helping us as much they could. Are you ok Rubin? Just… Fine. He seemed to pant even in his thoughts. I’m more worried about Genias and Lia. You’re right I hope they are doing ok. I didn’t dare to look back in fear of loosing my balance. 

‘Ren, can you see an end anywhere?’ Mia called from somewhere behind me. We were now in the shadows of the mountains that towered over us and it was getting darker as well. How I wished Baekhyun was with us to give us light. ‘Can’t see anything!’ I called back. ‘Should I go ahead and check?’ Kris asked next to me. I shook my head. ‘We don’t know what’s down there, better stay together.’ He nodded and flew back to somewhere behind me. 

It was almost dark and it was hard to see the steps in front of me but know they seemed to be getting slightly wider. ‘I think we will soon be there.’ I mumbled as I felt for the next step with my foot. ‘I hope so.’ I almost jumped as I heard Kai’s voice behind me. ‘Whoa, don’t fall.’ He chuckled as he laid a hand on my shoulder. ‘Don’t scare me like that.’ I scolded but he only chuckled again. ‘Sorry.’ As I wanted to feel for the next step in the darkness, my foot hit something that was at the same hight as my other foot. ‘Wait.’ I called quickly as I felt around the area. I sighed in relief when I realized that we had reached the bottom. ‘We’ve made it!’ I called in joy, earning a couple of cheers from the others. I turned to see how far we had gone and gasped. I could barely even see where we had come from but I could see that it was now almost night. The sky was a pink purple color that was already half way colored in dark blue. 

‘So where are we again?’ Lay asked as we looked around waiting for our eyes to adjust to the darkness. ‘I have no idea.’ I whispered. I could make out the sound of a river and as I carefully walked a bit to where I heard the sound, I suddenly had wet toes. I knelt and my fingers hit the cold water. ‘There’s a river here.’ I called over my shoulder. ‘Wow, it’s freezing!’ Mia gasped when she felt it. AJ on the other hand just washed his face quickly. ‘It’s really fresh.’ He stated. ‘Well no , sherlock, it’s mountain water.’ Eli retorted, nudging AJ in the back with his knee. 

‘So now what?’ Eli asked looking at me. ‘You know, I’ve never noticed how unbelievably impatient you are.’ I sighed as I passed him going in the direction the necklace was pulling me in. Really you’ve never noticed? Nope, not really. Wow, how are so blind? Hey I am not- ‘Oof!’ I hadn’t seen the wall before me and had walked right into it. What did I tell you? Rubin chuckled as I cursed under my breath and rubbed my nose. Kai was next to me feeling the wall. ‘There’s something engraved in the stone but I can’t make it out.’ AJ silently walked over and laid his hand on the wall. ‘I can’t read it, there’s something written in a very strange language.’ He sighed clearly annoyed. ‘Maybe I can help.’ Mia said with a surprisingly chirpy voice. She sat on the floor and placed her hands next to her on the ground. I couldn’t see much but the outline of her silhouette. We were silent for some time as we waited for Mia. 

‘Ok, got it!’ He said as she lightly jumped up from her sitting position. ‘It’s a doorway to the mountains caves. It’s very old and hasn’t been opened in over six decades. Barely anyone knows of this place except for a few selected people. I guess your mom was one of them, Ren.’ She said and I could hear her smile. ‘Ok, and how do we open this doorway, obviously we need to go in there for some reason.’ Eli, who wasn’t satisfied with the information, said. ‘Yes, Eli, I was just coming to that.’ The lightness form Mia’s voice didn’t disappear as she walked up to the wall. ‘So the carvings are written in the language of the gnomes. Very ancient and no one knows it anymore. Well, except for the gnomes of course. It says to lay the key into it’s tree and the gate will open with its light.’ 

‘What’s that supposed to mean?’ Eli shouted. I sighed inwardly at his hot headedness and temper. ‘Chill, Eli. I’m sure we will be able to solve this. Maybe I can reach my mom or something.’ I said, turning and sitting down near the edge of the water. I honestly didn’t know what to do. Maybe the necklace will help. Rubin came to my side and sat down next to me. I could see his missing fingers in the dim light and a shot of guilt came up in me. Now is not the time to think of that, Ren. I know, I’m sorry. But what am I supposed to do? Try calling your mother through it. That necklace is your bond to her and hers to you if you call for her through it, you might reach her. 

I took a deep breath, holding the phial in my hands. Mom. I need you right now. I need your help. Are you there? Mom? I felt a faint feeling of another persons presence inside me and I could feel something whisper my name. Mom, please, are you there? Ren. I almost let out a laugh I was so happy to hear her voice. Mom, I, we need your help. Yes I am aware of that. What should we do? The key is the necklace. It is inside the necklace. You mean the stones? Yes. Which one? That is your job, mine is done. I felt the presence slowly slipping away. Mom, no don’t go! Mom! Wait! No, Mom!! ‘Mom!’ I shouted and ripped my eyes open. I only saw darkness. She was gone and my head was empty again. ‘Ren, are you ok?’ Mia was first at my side closely followed by Kai. My breathing was irregular and I could feel the lump form in my throat making it hard to even breath. ‘It’s ok, calm down.’ Mia cooed, rubbing my back and hugging me. My tears came silently and they came as a river. ‘You’ll see her again.’ She whispered. ‘And she’s always with you.’ My lump got bigger and I started to weep. I hid my head in her neck and cried. Another hand was on my back, drawing circles on it. It was surely Kia. Suddenly I felt Mia flinch. I looked up and saw her starring wide eyed at the water. I looked over and gasped. 

‘Who are you?’ The fish like girl asked. Her eyes were bigger than any eyes I had seen before, her nose seemed to be a bit squished to her face but in a way that it looked really attractive. Her ears peaked out from her wet hair and I could see that they were like fins. ‘I asked who you are. You can understand me right? You are humans, right?’ She asked. ‘Y-yes we are.’ I stuttered. ‘What are you doing down here?’ She asked coming a bit closer. Out of instinct Mia and Kai scooted back a bit. I on the other hand felt drawn to her. Or better said, the necklace was. It hung loose and even seemed to glow slightly. She was looking at it with wide eyes. ‘Where did you get that?’

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

 

school is so tiring! and now there are only tests yippy ya yay -.- I hope the story isn't too boring... :\