30

Specialist - The Journey

 

The diner was pretty much uneventful. I mainly talked with Youngguk and Eli since they sat next to me. When I’d look over to Kai, he’d be burning holes into Eli’s head with his eyes. It was amusing but unnecessary. 

 

‘I’m going to miss you while you’re gone’ Arathna sighed as she helped me out of the dress. ‘I will have to help the emperor again and do some boring work.’ I gave her an apologetic smile through the mirror. ‘Don’t!’ I called when she wanted to undo the braids. ‘I want to keep them in as long as possible, since it keeps my hair out of my face.’ She smiled and let go of my hair. ‘This way you’ll also always have a piece of me with you.’ She giggled, stepping away. ‘I’ll let you sleep now, I’ll wake you tomorrow morning.’ We both bowed our head and she left the room. 

I couldn’t sleep that night. I kept turning from side to side, from laying on my back to laying on my stomach. But I couldn’t fall asleep. Just then there was a knock at the door. I shuffled over. ‘I can’t sleep.’ a messy haired Kai said standing in front of my door. ‘Neither can I.’ I sighed letting him in. We sat on the bed next to each other in silence. ‘Are you nervous?’ I asked him. ‘I know I should be, but I don’t feel it one bit. Are you?’ I took in a deep breath. ‘I’m more worried than nervous I think.’ I admitted. We talked for some time and decided to lay down and maybe we’d fall asleep like that. We laid in the darkness without saying anything. 

I felt his hand feel around for mine and when it found it, he wrapped his fingers around and intwined them with mine. ‘It’s been a while since we’ve laid like this.’ He whispered. I didn’t say anything, fearing that if I would, I’d make a fool of myself. My heart wouldn’t keep still and I wondered if could hear how it banged against my ribs. 

 

I felt the sun hit my eyelids but I hesitated to move. I was laying so comfortably and it was so warm I didn’t want to do anything. ‘Ren.’ I heard someone whisper. ‘Ren, I know you’re awake.’ Wait isn’t that…? My eyes flew open and I jumped up in bed. Next to me was Kai, laying there in a old shirt and pants with messy hair. ‘Good morning.’ He smiled. I couldn’t feel it, but I knew I was blushing like crazy. I looked away so that he wouldn’t see. ‘Morning.’ I mumbled back. ‘Look at me will you, it’s not like I’ve never seen you blush before.’ I could hear the smirk in his smile and I looked at him. ‘Did you sleep well?’ I nodded and returned the question which he he answered with a big smile. ‘Arathna should be coming soon.’ he said and sat up, running his hand through his hair and scratching the back of his head. It was unnaturally turning on how he did that, but I swallowed that feeling. He yawned and got off the bed and instantly I grabbed his hand without thinking. ‘Ren? What’s wrong?’ Without answering I scrambled up to my knees and slung my arms around his neck. He didn’t say anything and I guessed he was shocked but then he laid his hands around me as well, hugging me back. I then noticed it. I was scared. I was scared of what awaited me. 

Suddenly I heard the nod of the door turn, Kai heard it too since he then just disappeared leaving me kneeling there on the bed. ‘Oh you’re already awake!’ I smiled at a Arathna who held a bundle of clothes in her hands. 

 

I walked to the weapon tent where Mom, Eli and Kai already where and I don’t think I was ever happier than at that moment to wear pants again. I wore boots that went up to my knees, a tight top, a baggy long top over that with a belt that went around my waist on which already a dagger hung. Arathna said that the gloves I wore were important since we might climb some places and they would prevent from anything cutting through the palms of my hands. My fingers were free though so I could handle things better. Apart from that I wore a cape that also went about to my knees. It had sleeves in case it would get cold but I didn’t need them right then. 

Eli had a sword, a urumi and a dagger tied to his belt. He was just packing some things into a back back when I came in. Mom was busy helping Kai tie his sword to his belt so they didn’t notice me entering. I silently scanned the rows of swords and picked one that was similar to the sword I practiced with. It was a bit too heavy though so I put it back. ‘Do you need help?’ I yelped from being scared and glared at Eli who only grinned at me. ‘Here try this one.’ He said giving me a thin long sword. I held it and tried moving it around in my hands. ‘Perfect.’ I smiled at him. After tying it to m gelt I went to where some daggers were. I picked two and slid them into my boots. They would come in handy and I didn’t want to risk having too little weapons. 

Next Eli gave me a backpack and told me to go to the kitchen to get some food. Instead of walking, I jogged to get myself warm. The cooks already had the food prepared and I packet it all so that there was still a little bit of room left to fit another knife or urumi. 

Back at the tent, I saw AJ standing with Eli. ‘AJ!’ I called and hugged him tight. ‘It’s good to see you alive’ He smiled. ‘What’s that supposed to mean?!’ I asked playing as if I were offended. ‘Hey, I was just worried!’ He messed my hair and grinned. ‘REN!’ Someone screamed behind ma and before I could even look I fell to the floor with Mia’s weight crashing on top of me. ‘I’m so happy you’re alright and breathing!!’ She half yelled in to my ear as she hugged me tightly. It was getting a bit hard to breath now and I hoped she’d let go soon. ‘Mia, I think you’ve flattened her to a pancake.’ I looked up, huffing some hair out of my face to see the next male standing there. ‘It’s nice to see you, too, Lay.’ He smiled back and waved. Suddenly Mia’s weight was lifted off of me and I breathed in, filling all of the space in my lungs with air. ‘Let me down, Kris!!’ Mia shrieked as he heaved her over his shoulder with ease. ‘Thanks.’ I laughed as I fist-bumped with him. ‘Good to see you on your feet.’ He smiled. He used to be very quiet and cold around me, but we’ve grown pretty close during school even though we didn’t see each other a lot. ‘Kris, if you do not let me down this second, I’ll let veins strangle you to death.’ Mia threatened. Sighing, he let her down, but letting her fall on her . ‘Stupid dragon.’ She mumbled as she dusted the dirt off her clothes that were similar to mine. Dragon?

You didn’t know? Know what? Kris’ ancestors are from Énemyl, the planet of the dragons. Énemyl? I’ve never heard of that planet before. Not many have. But he’s still a specialist? Yes, his father is half dragon half human, his mother is from Lanero. Interesting, but how do you know this? It would surprise you how much I know. He chuckled. Great, so you can read all my thoughts AND you are all knowing. I am not all knowing, Ren. Sure you’re not.

‘How’s Rubin?’ Kai asked with a slight smirk on his face. I mentally face palmed. ‘Fine.’ I answered. I really have to get my facial expressions under control when I talk to Rubin.
‘Are you all ready?’ Mom asked, peaking through the curtain. It was silent as we all looked at each other standing there, fully equipped, bags packed and ready. Well, not mentally. The air was buzzing with tension and no one dared to say a word. ‘Relax, guys, it’ll be fine.’ She smiled walking out and us following her.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

 

 

*goans* school is such a pain! It's getting in the way with all my creativity!!!!!! *pouts*

Well, I hope you liked the chapter it's a bit boring, i know, but the following will be better (i hope) ^^
Thank you for reading~~!!!!